Sponsored by:

The Last Word on Tinting: The "Mole-Skinny"

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
The Last Word on Tinting: The "Mole-Skinny"

Here is what I have learned about tinting and Moleskin:

1. If you want to know what moleskin is, put your TL windows down all the way and stick your little finger in the bottom window slot in the door. Feel the fuzzy? That's moleskin. It's purpose is to GENTLY wipe away dirt from the outside of the window when it opens. Notice: it is only on the outside. On the inside is a double flap kind of seal that doesn't even touch the window until it's almost closed. Below that seal, I am told, is a rubber wiper similar in purpose to the outside moleskin only plain rubber. It scrapes the schmootz off the inside of the window when it goes down. It won't bother the glass because glass is hard.

2. Moleskin is nothing new. It has been used for decades in autio/truck window tracks. It's the black fuzzy stuff in the channels where the window goes up and down.

3. Depending on the type of tint film you get, and the debris conditions in which you live and drive, you could get sharp particles on the inner wiper that are held against the soft tint film as it goes by thus causing a scratch. Your exposure is greater if you drive with the windows down alot or in a sandy area.

4. Most tinters never heard of "moleskin" by that name, but will know what it is if you explain it to them. These tinters will tell you they've done dozens of TLs with no problem. They will say you don't need moleskin but, by the same token, they won't guarantee the tint against scratches caused as described above. They are looking for a fast back and just want to get the next car behind you done.

5. Most tinters will refuse to take the door panels off to put moleskin on. They say it's because it would void the Acura warranty. In reality, it's because they don't know how and don't want to take the time and energy to learn.

6. If you want moleskin installed on the lower, inside wiper, (all four doors)you will have to do it yourself or take it to the dealer's body shop and have them remove the panels and do it. I estimate that to be $50-100 based on one hour of shop time. This is probably the best method, if the most expensive. You still have the cost of the tint job and the moleskin kit.

7. If you decide to go without the moleskin, and you scratch your tint film, the tinter can replace the tint for about $15-20 per window. "You pays your money and you takes your chances."

8. A salesman's son had a TL which got scratched. He put new tint on the window and took it in to the service dept. With a virgin piece of film, he put the window down and up in front of the service mgr. It scratched in front of his eyes. The SM called Acura and they ended up putting moleskin on the kid's car. I wouldn't depend on this too much. My father doesn't work for the dealer.

9. The moleskin acts as a soft, forgiving wiper which can swallow a pretty good size foreign body and keep it away from the film. All window channels used to be moleskin but our TL's have rubber channels. A mechanic once told me that, if I kept those channels clean by using a rag on like a tongue depressor wetted with silicone spray lube, my window regulator motors would last forever. For our TL's, I would recommend 303 Aerospace Protectorant a couple times a year.

Now you know why some have problems and some don't. There are several variables, not the least of which is the quality and hardness of the tint film.

So... roll the dice or play it safe. It's up to you.

XP
Old 04-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to add a good tinter, like mine, will remove your door panels and add the mole-skin for free. You just have to find them.