Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Entry Auto-lock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 07:54 AM
loving the eastern heat..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless Entry Auto-lock?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to get the auto re-lock feature in the keyless memory settings to work. I set it to either 30, 60 or 90 seconds but it never does anything. Do I need to walk a certain amount of feet away from the car before it will lock? Or maybe I don't understand the feature in general... my assumption is I get out the car, walk away and it will lock itself. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Racer

The auto lock does not lock the car automatically when you leave the car. The auto lock works like this: if you unlock the car with the remote and then do not open any of the doors, the doors will automatically relock after 30, 60, or 90 seconds.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:04 AM

Oh ok! So the problem was me.

Just seems to me if the car will turn it's lights off on it's own... it should lock itself too.

Thank you!
Old 08-05-2005, 08:27 AM
04TL/SSM/Quartz/AT/Navi

Why would you assume that? With all the crime out there, I feel much better locking the car myself -- all you do is press the lock button on the fob... I don't trust technology to work all the time.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arctangent
Oh ok! So the problem was me.

Just seems to me if the car will turn it's lights off on it's own... it should lock itself too.

Thank you!
if it did that you could possibly leave your keys in the car and lock them in, then you would be pissed that Acura designed something so stupid
Old 08-05-2005, 09:01 AM

well i was at my parent's house yesterday... i was in a hurry when i went inside, thus not locking the car. i was only there for about 15 minutes; it didn't dawn on me until after i came back outside that it didn't lock itselt, hence my question here.

...and there are other cars that do indeed lock themselves, but have a safeguard that if you leave your keys inside the car it will not lock.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by arctangent
well i was at my parent's house yesterday... i was in a hurry when i went inside, thus not locking the car. i was only there for about 15 minutes; it didn't dawn on me until after i came back outside that it didn't lock itselt, hence my question here.

...and there are other cars that do indeed lock themselves, but have a safeguard that if you leave your keys inside the car it will not lock.
I think the safeguard is that the key has to be in the ignition and then it won't lock the doors. But if you were doing something, and say you put your keys down for a second, and then forgot to pick them up and got out of the car, then the car wouldn't know you left the keys laying on the console, would it. Or are they that smart now?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Safety Car

the new smart card keys might be able to implement this feature as it can continuously detect if there is a key present. if no key is detected for a set amount of time it can auto-lock the car. would be a nice feature as long as the safe guards are there to prevent the key from being locked in the vehicle by accident.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I thought the RL and its rugged keyfob do this already? Can not lock the car with the keyfob inside and the car off.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Wouldn't it be funny if you left the keys in the car, which means the car wouldn't lock itself, and a car-thief comes by, sees the car is unlocked, and lo and behold...the keys are inside too!

Better to simply lock the car yourself, methinks.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Team Anthracite Member

What I miss with the TL is that with the engine running you cannot lock the doors with the FOB. In the summer if I make a quick stop I like to keep the AC running and with my Murano (and Altima and Maxima before that) I can lock the doors with the car running. It is also convenient in the winter since can start the defroster and heater and come back a few minutes later when the ice is starting to melt off. I realize someone who wants the car can steal it regardless if I leave the doors unlocked or not but certainly makes it more risky for a would be thief to have to smash a window with people around.

I also noticed that you can't open the trunk with the FOB with the car running. Very inconvenient since again I leave the car running run into the house come back and can't open the trunk without pressing the inside button. Btw my keychain "splits", I have the two car keys on one side (Murano and TL) and the FOB's and house keys on the other side.

Dumont