Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keyfob trick, I love it

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NsX Pilot
I was told and im pretty sure this is the right answer but your skull acts as an antenna. In the past where some patients had alot of metal fillings and braces there were reported cases of the patients being able to hear radio broadcasts .
If you're joking, then I'm the fool for responding here.

The reason the human body acts as an antenna is because it conducts electricity weakly. This is why lightening and electric outlets can be deadly - the electric current can pass through the body, destroying delicate nervous tissues and causing the heart to stop.

The skull and other bones are largely inert and do NOT contribute much to the antenna effect. Skin and body fluids are where the action is.

You have no doubt noticed that your body asks as a decent FM antenna.

However, people can't hear radio broadcasts just because they have fillings or metal objects in their heads. This is an urban myth. FM signals are just electromagnetic modulations. Unprocessed, it's just noise to the human body. It becomes sound when it is processed into an audio signal. Human bodies do not have the processor. Your stereo does.

I also doubt the keyfob transmitter stuff that started this thread. I don't doubt people are reporting honestly in this thread, I just think some other phenomenon must explain it. The human body is a decent antenna but a lousy transmitter. It absorbs, not emits, radiation. It is medically unsound to say that the electromagnetic signal from a keyfob transmitter could being amplified by the human body and therefore work better, no matter whether you place it on your chin or against your ear or up your butt for that matter. The concept simply doesn't have a scientific basis.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:13 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It isnt really all that hard. The simplest answer, and usually the correct answer, is that the shape of your throat and your mouth is concave so that the signal becomes not only amplified but aimed towards the car as if the car was the loci. The theory about us acting as antennas and the brain thing seems off because as Gator mentions, you have to open your mouth. Opening your mouth does not make your "transmitting" powers any stronger nor does it give you more brain power. Opening your mouth simply gives the signal a place to bounce to and eventually, due to the shape of your throat and mouth, it will reach the car.

EDIT:

Observation 1: Lets put this in a way that anyone will understand and I will try to make it as logical as possible. The color red has the highest reflectivity amongst any color, which makes it the color of choice for optic mouses. Do you see a mouse in blue? Do you see a mouse in any color other than red? (dont include the ones you mod, i changed my light to blue once and it doesnt work as well as if the red light was in it). Now, what is the color of our throat? RED!.

Observation 2: Use a TV remote and aim it away from the TV and press power ON. Most likely, unless you are hitting an area where it is white or something due to your walls, the tv will stay off. Now place a piece of paper about 5-10 feet in front of the screen and stand next to it, point at the paper with the remote and press on. the TV should come on.

Conclusion: The redness of our inner body increases the reflectivity of the radio signal that our FOBs put out. It is not harmful because we are exposed to these every single day, every single minute, every single second. We simply increased the intensity of the beam as well as its focus towards the car.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mastertl
Opening your mouth simply gives the signal a place to bounce to and eventually, due to the shape of your throat and mouth, it will reach the car.
So you're saying that the keyfob signal is aimed more precisely towards the car by bouncing off the body? That sounds plausible to me. 04TLMan made similar comments earlier in this thread. Sounds reasonable. I just wanted to point out that what is definitely not reasonable is to think the body or skull or whatever is somehow amplifying the signal. Human bodies don't amplify electromagnetic radiation, they absorb it.

Keep in mind, though, that if this concept works because the signal is bounced off the body, the signal strength will decrease. Because, again, the body will absorb some of the signal. I guess it might be a trade-off of signal strength for signal aim.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by TLGator
So you're saying that the keyfob signal is aimed more precisely towards the car by bouncing off the body? That sounds plausible to me. 04TLMan made similar comments earlier in this thread. Sounds reasonable. I just wanted to point out that what is definitely not reasonable is to think the body or skull or whatever is somehow amplifying the signal. Human bodies don't amplify electromagnetic radiation, they absorb it.

Keep in mind, though, that if this concept works because the signal is bounced off the body, the signal strength will decrease. Because, again, the body will absorb some of the signal. I guess it might be a trade-off of signal strength for signal aim.
It isnt really all that different from 04TLMan's theory. You can read my edit if you want. Oh and we dont absorb everything. Like i siad in the edit, FM signals, tv signals, and wahtever you want to have signals for, is transmitting every single second. The reason your antenna recieves it, is because it is unobstructed and unabsorbed. Does it seem logical for the human body to absorb all the signals (think 6 billion people and think internatinal broadcasts) and still have things likt tv and radio working properly?

Think amplified not as in power, but in direction
Old 08-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At last...thanks TLGator.

To those who believe this works I would suggest the following experiment:

Stand in the same place. Try the transmitter from 3 locations.

1. At belt level (normal location).
2. Under chin with mouth open, etc.
3. Straight up in the air, over your head.

Let us know your results.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:35 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by Liquid _Courage
In addition to placing the fob underneath your chin, if you open your mouth you get an extra 50 feet
...and a new boyfriend

on a serious note, you can also hold it to your wrist if you're embarassed to hold your keys to your head. I've been using the chin method since I was 16 (7 years).
Old 08-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

If you're joking, then I'm the fool for responding here.

The reason the human body acts as an antenna is because it conducts electricity weakly. This is why lightening and electric outlets can be deadly - the electric current can pass through the body, destroying delicate nervous tissues and causing the heart to stop.

The skull and other bones are largely inert and do NOT contribute much to the antenna effect. Skin and body fluids are where the action is.

You have no doubt noticed that your body asks as a decent FM antenna.

However, people can't hear radio broadcasts just because they have fillings or metal objects in their heads. This is an urban myth. FM signals are just electromagnetic modulations. Unprocessed, it's just noise to the human body. It becomes sound when it is processed into an audio signal. Human bodies do not have the processor. Your stereo does.

I also doubt the keyfob transmitter stuff that started this thread. I don't doubt people are reporting honestly in this thread, I just think some other phenomenon must explain it. The human body is a decent antenna but a lousy transmitter. It absorbs, not emits, radiation. It is medically unsound to say that the electromagnetic signal from a keyfob transmitter could being amplified by the human body and therefore work better, no matter whether you place it on your chin or against your ear or up your butt for that matter. The concept simply doesn't have a scientific basis.
and yet it works so exteremly well.

there is a gain happening somehow. Remember the human body makes a nice antenna (we big bags-o-salt water)
Old 08-20-2004, 02:40 PM

Will no one read my posts :'(
Old 08-20-2004, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

I've seen this done before and the body isn't really acting as a transmitter per se. Instead, the head is acting as a reflector for the key fob (which in this case is the driven element of the antenna system). When the radio frequency energy from the fob reaches your head (or chin) some of it is absorbed as heat, but a portion is reflected back 180 degrees, right back to where you are looking (your car). This results in a slightly more powerful signal at the car.

One is certain... look around before you use this technique!
Old 08-20-2004, 03:08 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Go Gator!
Old 08-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have been doing this for well over 10 years. I've been showing people to do it for about that long too. It easily doubles your remote distance.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Just found out that Acura is releasing the chip that will allow the TL to get realtime traffic reports just like the RL.....it's coming out on Monday morning at all Acura service locations across the US!

I'm going to camp out at Smithtown Acura on Long Island starting at 9pm Sunday night. Anyone want to come and be the very first to have a realtime traffic integrated TL?

BJ
Old 08-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by badboy
Okay, first of all, I want to know the limit of my keyfob, it doesn't seem too big, cause I was around 30-40 feet away from my tl, and the keyfob didn't work. Whats the distance you guys are measuring?

Second of all, this is cool, there is a trick to make your keyfob work from longer distance.

Ready for this?

Here it is. Place your keyfob, the lock button side, on your throat, and now try it, still doesn't work? now, open your mouth, and then try it..... ta da

This has worked for me, give me some responses on if it works for you.
I use my chin and it almost always works. 2001 TL had longer range.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:11 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
However, people can't hear radio broadcasts just because they have fillings or metal objects in their heads. This is an urban myth.
You obviously never watched the original Survivor type reality show called Gilligan's Island. There was one day when Gilligan received immunity because he was able to process radio signals after the "Professor" did some dental work on him. How much more proof do you need?

As for the FOB transmission, even with using the chin method (which I have used for a couple of years) the range of the FOB is pretty weak. Also, you can put your FOB next to another large metal object (i.e. another car or stairway handrail, etc.) to extend the range.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by moeronn
You obviously never watched the original Survivor type reality show called Gilligan's Island. There was one day when Gilligan received immunity because he was able to process radio signals after the "Professor" did some dental work on him. How much more proof do you need?

As for the FOB transmission, even with using the chin method (which I have used for a couple of years) the range of the FOB is pretty weak. Also, you can put your FOB next to another large metal object (i.e. another car or stairway handrail, etc.) to extend the range.
heh, also AM is simple amlitude modulation. one could "hear" radio if the signal vibrated his teeth.

FM - NO.
AM - absolutely
Old 08-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

I never said it was true that they could hear transmissions only that there were reported cases of it.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

Holding the FOB to your chin does increase the apparent range of the transmitter. But why?

Occam's Razor: Plurality should not be posited without necessity. Otherwise stated: The simplest explanation tends to be the correct one.

So what is more likely?

1. That the human body becomes a transmitter, an antenna, a reflector, or a brain wave booster?

2. That you've raised the FOB above the sheet metal that surrounds your target (the TL) allowing the signal to more easily pass through the glass?

If you doubt this, hold the FOB at head level an arms length away, pointed at the TL.

In any event, the chin technique is more discreet, which I suspect is why people employ it over holding the FOB over their head.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Cruisin'

This is as old as the hills, your body acts as an antenna, works with all key fobs and all makes of cars.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I learned to do this with the key fog for my '02 Altima SE. What I do is hold the fog along side of my left jaw while pointing the fog and my face towards the car. Two weekends ago, I measured off 188 feet to open my trunk doing this.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mancur
Holding the FOB to your chin does increase the apparent range of the transmitter. But why?

Occam's Razor: Plurality should not be posited without necessity. Otherwise stated: The simplest explanation tends to be the correct one.

So what is more likely?

1. That the human body becomes a transmitter, an antenna, a reflector, or a brain wave booster?

2. That you've raised the FOB above the sheet metal that surrounds your target (the TL) allowing the signal to more easily pass through the glass?

If you doubt this, hold the FOB at head level an arms length away, pointed at the TL.

In any event, the chin technique is more discreet, which I suspect is why people employ it over holding the FOB over their head.
tried it tonight - get about an extra 15-20 feet by holding it to my chin. just raising above my head yields little to no improvement.

chin works!!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:19 PM
USC YQUE

Too much time on your hands guys!

Err, wow. Three pages worth of replies.

Originally Posted by badboy
Okay, first of all, I want to know the limit of my keyfob, it doesn't seem too big, cause I was around 30-40 feet away from my tl, and the keyfob didn't work. Whats the distance you guys are measuring?

Second of all, this is cool, there is a trick to make your keyfob work from longer distance.

Ready for this?

Here it is. Place your keyfob, the lock button side, on your throat, and now try it, still doesn't work? now, open your mouth, and then try it..... ta da

This has worked for me, give me some responses on if it works for you.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:12 AM
Racer

The REAL reason it works

It is POSSIBLE that the RF output of the transmitter can couple to the body a little, as the body is slightly conductive. The body is certainly NOT a reflector, etc.

It is also POSSIBLE (and more likely) that simply holding the transmitter differently is causing the increase. It is guaranteed that the RF output of the transmitter is stronger is some directions than others.

I did some quick testing with an RF Field Strength meter, and I found that the strongest output seems to be straight out the back, keeping your fingers off the bulge. This was about twice as strong as directly out the end. This alone could cause the difference.

This occurs because the output of such a simple PC board antenna is relative to the cross-sectional area you are looking at. You can obviously "see" more of the antenna looking straight on than looking at it from the edge.

It doesn't work when you wrap your hand around it because the body is a poorer conductor of RF than the air, so it actually causes a drop in signal strength.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:26 AM
Banned

wow, dumbass
Old 08-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Hehehe... you guys are funny. I like to see those goofy people in the parking lot who point their key fob at the car to use it. Hello... it's a radio transmission not a directional beam of light.

It is true that you get better range when placeing it on your body. The reason why it gets better range is because like grabing the ole rabbit ear antenna on your TV to get a better signal (if you can remember those days before cable) it uses your body as an extension of the antenna thus producing longer range. One more tip... radio frequency is best received by a vertical antenna so if you hold the key fob verticly instead of parallel to the ground you should get slightly better range as well.

Anyhow... one saftey tip for you all. Security experts say when approaching your car, have your keys ready and in your hand. Be aware of suspicious looking people or vehicles in the area. If you have a key fob, wait until you are close to the car. Too many people push the range of their remotes and opening their car from to long of a distance such that a criminal can get to their car before they can.

OH and... if you get braces installed on your teeth you can get an extra 20 feet of range! JK... hehe
Old 08-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I've said for years:

"Electrical Engineering is pure magic for anyone who's not an Electrical Engineer. RF is pure magic for Electrical Engineers who's not an RF Engineer." - ¿GotJazz?

And, this thread tends to prove it.

Waveguides and RF stuff (Radio Frequency) are weird and sort of unpredictable. In some ways it's a mixture of both art and science. Thus, I'm not surprised that just holding the fob in your hand can have a very different RF characteristic than holding the fob in the same hand and touching it to your chin.

One thing that crosses my mind in this is that you are forming a loop when the fob is on your chin: arm-to-fob-to-chin-throat=shoulder-arm, and the loop will tend to be vertically aligned with the direction of the car (since you'll be walking towards it).

GOTTA TEST THIS OUT ... GOTTA TEST THIS OUT ... GOTTA TEST THIS OUT ...

Also, I'm going to have a chat with Orville (an RF Engineer that I've worked with in the past) - I should have asked him about this years ago.

PS: As mentioned earlier, just holding the fob up higher has almost no noticable effect on distance. At least, not for me. Fob-to-chin always works, though.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
As I've said for years:

"Electrical Engineering is pure magic for anyone who's not an Electrical Engineer. RF is pure magic for Electrical Engineers who's not an RF Engineer." - ¿GotJazz?
GotJazz, you have it exactly correct. Judging from this and your past work on the ELS sound system, I suspect you're an EE as well (or at least show the diligence of an engineer). Nice to meet you.

I'm an EE also. I'm in the RF end of the business. I test RF transceivers and PAs for a living -- i.e. the chips used in cel phones, WLAN cards, cordless phones, bluetooth devices, etc.

That said, antenna theory is yet another wing in the building.

Here was my experiment the other night:

Stood 150-200 feet from the car (hood facing me), pressed the unlock button on the FOB at waist level. Nothing. 20 more times. Nothing. Held it to my chin, FOB pointed upward. Unlocked instantly. Hmm. Held it up high, pointed upward. Nothing! Held it up high, pointed at the car. Unlocked instantly.

What does this prove? My experiment only proved that the height of the FOB has an effect on the distance from which you can unlock your car. Also, that there is some element of directionality present, whether it results from chin reflection or from part of my hand blocking the transmitter, I can't yet say. To absolutely prove that height is the only factor, I would have had to back away from the car until one or both of the techniques stopped working.

I find this interesting and will try a few more experiments.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Instructor

May have something to do with rx antenna location -- a line-of-sight issue involving the car's own sheetmetal.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:16 PM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

yeah this trick is old!!! puttin it against your chin does help! but i don't know if its necesssary to open your mouth!!!
Old 08-22-2004, 01:40 AM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mancur
Here was my experiment the other night:

Stood 150-200 feet from the car (hood facing me), pressed the unlock button on the FOB at waist level. Nothing. 20 more times. Nothing. Held it to my chin, FOB pointed upward. Unlocked instantly. Hmm. Held it up high, pointed upward. Nothing! Held it up high, pointed at the car. Unlocked instantly.
Just be careful you don't press it over 256 times when you are out of range. This will cause your fob and receiver to become out of synch.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry2.htm
Old 08-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Advanced

I treid under chin while hopping on right foot, works great. Only question I have is that when I do that I keep getting some disrted transmission. Something about WE COME IN PEACE, we are your Martian borthers? Anyone else recieving that?

Old 08-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Instructor

lol i tested thsi in my room, my accord was goin off according to my dad, but i didn't hear anything so i guess it works (signal went thru 3-5 walls, and far enough that when car beeps u cant hear it)
Old 12-03-2004, 05:14 PM
TL hacker

My observations:

1 - Fob to chin really does work
2 - Fob to chin with mouth open works better

But I got the best range when I put the fob to my chin, opened my mouth and yelled at the top of my lungs. Yelling seems to "propel" the radio waves even futher.

In case you didn't notice, I'm just being a dumbass. ROFL!!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 05:49 PM
professional TL driver

well well well.... so i want out to put this "trick" to the test and although it worked in increasing the range over where i normally hold the fob, when i simply held the fob over my head it extended the range as well.... do you think that height (as in how hi you hold it) has anything to do with its range?

and yes my brother in law was laughing his ass off while im standing in my front yard counting off how far i was from my car and holding it to my, throat, chin, over my head.... i think "youre such a tool" was one of his exact comments
Old 12-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Intermediate

Best.....thread.....ever!!
Old 12-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Which proves you can't keep a good thread down. Three months without hearing a peep from it, and it rises from the ashes, resurrected.

I was here when it started and everybody laughed at it until they found out it works.

Now it not only solves problems, it entertains. What more can you ask from a thread.

So far it's been good, but let's not get too far off topic with our replies.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Racer

Been doing this trick for 15 yrs, I thought it was common knowldge, guess not.

Still have no idea how it works.

Also, if you hold the fob up to your elbow and press lock/unlock and from a far distance the horn will beep, I really have no idea how this stuff works but Im not gonna complain.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going crazy here because I really want to try this. Unfortunately I can't find my keys anywhere. Last time I saw them they were on the couch. I sat down to watch Jerry Springer and when I got up they were gone. Now every time I pass wind the trunk opens.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Team Anthracite #100

Sounds like a good subject for the T.V. show Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel.

BTW........ It has worked for me for several years.( I'm a believer )
Old 12-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hold the fob to the underside of your wrist and open ur palm toward the car ... that works as well
Old 12-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Snax

Try swallowing it... Hmmm Tasty!

Quick Reply: keyfob trick, I love it