Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyed by Ex. Should I trade it in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyed by Ex. Should I trade it in?

About a week ago I got keyed by my ex. Can't prove shit of course. The f'ed up thing is that she cheated on me. Anyway, she keyed my 04 TL all the way around. All doors, fenders, rear bumper and hood. I'm getting it repainted by a reputable paint shop. Quote was $2250. I haven't seen the car yet. Should be ready by Tuesday. This car was perfect with almost 20K miles on it, no scratches, nothing. Now I'm thining about trading it in for something else. Should I keep it? Anyone experienced anything like this before?
Old 03-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you like the car?

If so why trade it? Not like it was in a reck. I mean it SUCKS that she did that, but if they paint it and looks good whats the point of trade unless you just dont want the car? Why pay even more money if you dont have to? So long as they paint the same color I think you should be fine...

I would not trade unless you looking for a diffrent car and was going to do anyway... Just my $0.02...

BTW, sorry to hear that happened.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Why trade it in? It'd just give her another target.

Mike
Old 03-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Yes, keep it. A good dealer will know it's been painted and penalize you on the trade-in value anyway.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:55 PM
2005 ACURA TL

yea man i would keep it. I mean you bought the car for a reason right??? (you liked it) Dont let some girl take the fun out of your car. Iam sure the body shop will make it as if NOTHING ever happened.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:04 PM
2005 ACURA TL

look at this crap dude. SOME FLAME ran a stop sign and hit me. And iam keeping my car. Its the best car I have ever had brother. Iam only 20 but this is my 4th car and trust me its the best car right now...
Old 03-06-2005, 11:06 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

keep it, and park it in a secured area...

a camera with a motion sensor light will help.
Paint shops do amazing jobs nowadays.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Advanced

Dood keep it and fuckin line your drive way with fucking cameras with fuckin night vision..I don't care if I had to spend 5k to do this, just to legally fuck her.

That's just messed up.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A. Keep the car, selling it will cause u to lose $$$ and would be a way of admitting you've been beaten.
B. See if you can claim the money through insurance
C. Kill the bitch and put an end to your misery.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks guys, you really made me feel better. I think I will keep it. I just had all these crazy thoughts running through my mind. I haven't seen my baby (the TL) in over a week. I'm sure once I'll get in it again I'll wanna keep it. Should get it back in a couple of days. The body shop is also detailing it. Sweet!!! And yes the insurance is picking up the tab. Just a $100 deductible.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:59 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Gee, another good reason to remain single.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
trade the ex not the car... !!! lol And as far as experiencing a crazy ex...lol sure I have experienced that before...lol...

Would it hurt to report the incident to the police about the car and who you suspected was the person who did the nasty deed. They might not be able to do anything about it... but it might be on record...
Old 03-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Instructor

You should have accidentily run her over. Be careful she doens't f up the new paint job. Chicks are all crazy that's why im not going to ruin my life and get married. If she cheated on you why is she coming after you???
Old 03-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah, I did get a police report. Didn't tell them who I suspected that did it tho. The cop was all pissed off, lol, he was like "I can't belive someone would do that so such a beautiful car". I just want my TL back.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:41 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Sorry to hear about you troubles. There is ZERO excusses for people to do crap like that. But there is a detail in your story that doesn't "hold water" You say she cheated on you and then later keyed your car? Hmmm, something's not right in this equation. Sounds like you cheated on her beforehand, she tried to "get back at you" by mirroring your behavior. When that "apparently" didn't work, she took the next step and damaged your property. Sounds like a pretty simple psychological equation. You need to be carefull now though because once she sees that the simple "keying" didn't effect you as much as she planned, she may try something even more dramatic. You need to take out a restraining order dude.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

I never cheated on her. We lived together and I kicked her a$$ out. Gave her no time to find a place of her own. She's staying with a friend or something. I don't really care.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

She didn't cheat but you kicked her out. Probably none of our business, but WHY did you kick her out? Sounds like you gave her no time or options for a place to stay. Seems like if this was soneone you could live with that the least you could do would be to have given her some help with the separation (time). Without the rest of the details it sounds like you are pretty scummy to us. Still no excuse to do what she did though. Did she have some type of psycho problems?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Instructor

The good news is you'll probably end up with a vastly superior paint job than the factory paint was ( all panels will be the same color, far less orange peel) and the paint will be thicker, making it more resilient to stone chips.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by NoSpeedLmt
About a week ago I got keyed by my ex. Can't prove shit of course. The f'ed up thing is that she cheated on me. Anyway, she keyed my 04 TL all the way around. All doors, fenders, rear bumper and hood. I'm getting it repainted by a reputable paint shop. Quote was $2250. I haven't seen the car yet. Should be ready by Tuesday. This car was perfect with almost 20K miles on it, no scratches, nothing. Now I'm thining about trading it in for something else. Should I keep it? Anyone experienced anything like this before?
Personally I would keep it... Get the whole dang thing painted a CUSTOM color! Nothin crazy... But this is your chance to completely 100% personalize your car and have something that almost noone here has! Just a thought!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Cruisin'

Should have thought of that. But I don't think the insurance would let me do that since they're paying for it. Besides, it's almost done. Just called and will have it Wednesday.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Instructor

If you honestly think she did it and it happened recently enough, you could get the cops involved and have her keys checked for paint residue. If her keys have paint dust coating them, it could be very difficult to explain.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluenoser
The good news is you'll probably end up with a vastly superior paint job than the factory paint was ( all panels will be the same color, far less orange peel) and the paint will be thicker, making it more resilient to stone chips.
I was talking to a high end body shop here and they told me that the 'thicker the paint the better' view was actually a popular misconception. There comes a point to where if you paint over an already painted car, you can actually make the paint too thick. Basically, when a rock hits the car, the paint flexes to much (due to the now paint 'cushion', and causes a larger flake to pop off than normal. I never asked how thick was 'optimal' tho.. I'm assuming like many other things, it's like the curve. Too little is bad, too much is bad, you want to be somewhere in the middle.

$10 says someone on here knows the optiminal thickness tho.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Membership on the Acura TL forum ... Free.
Cost for DSL or Cable Modem Internet... $40.00/month
Getting advice on your cheating ex-wife AND figuring out how to add more hp to your car.... priceless.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Membership on the Acura TL forum ... Free.
Cost for DSL or Cable Modem Internet... $40.00/month
Getting advice on your cheating ex-wife AND figuring out how to add more hp to your car.... priceless.
not to mention finding better ways to spend the money after another guinea pig has tested the product and confirmed everything is okay...
Old 03-07-2005, 07:11 PM
is still kickin!

slap the shittttt out of that dumb bitch!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 03:39 AM
Intermediate

Donkey-Punch her. That'll make you guys just about even.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Royal Flush

After your car is painted...tell her your ride looks better than new. Once you do that....park it in the open in your driveway and have cameras and infared detection all over it. When she comes back to vandalize your car again....you have it all on tape and send her to jail and sue the crap out of her.

If she cheated on you without you cheating first....I'd have done the same thing man....kick her a$$ to the curb.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Republican TL
After your car is painted...tell her your ride looks better than new. Once you do that....park it in the open in your driveway and have cameras and infared detection all over it. When she comes back to vandalize your car again....you have it all on tape and send her to jail and sue the crap out of her.

If she cheated on you without you cheating first....I'd have done the same thing man....kick her a$$ to the curb.
I second all of that...Kicking her dumb ass out was the way to go.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:46 AM
Cruisin'

Called the body shop and my TL is supposed to be ready this afternoon. Can't wait to see her.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Cruisin'

Interesting side note. The body shop said that paint on the bumpers on all Acuras do not exactly match the paint shade of the body. They said that since they had to repaint the back bumper they will also repaint the front bumber even though it wasn't scratched, just so the paint will match all over. My insurance Okay'ed it and I won't complain. Anyone else noticed the color difference?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Advanced

Yes, the paint on the plastic is not the same as the paint on the metal. I heard the EPA made them change the chemicals in the plastic paint. You can see it a little on most of the TL colors, but the white is the worst. The white TL's have yellow bumpers. I noticed on a co-workers white MDX also, but not as prominant. Its looks worse on the TL because the bumper panels are so large and is flush the body. I don't think the RL, TSX, RSX, and NSX have the same problem because they are built (and painted) in Japan.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

Get a restraining order on that Ho!!!!, and make sure you wash and inspect you vehicle after the paint job. When the shop delivers the car it will look nice and shining because of the wax. WASH it really good and check to see if there are any dull spots that need to be rebuffed by body shop.

At least the issue is asthetic and not mechanical.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Interesting side note. The body shop said that paint on the bumpers on all Acuras do not exactly match the paint shade of the body. They said that since they had to repaint the back bumper they will also repaint the front bumber even though it wasn't scratched, just so the paint will match all over. My insurance Okay'ed it and I won't complain. Anyone else noticed the color difference?
Saw a white TL at the Philadelphia car show. The difference between the hood and the front bumper was dramatic. Right of the bat you could notice it. I think that the darker colors show less difference than the light ones.

P.S. - don't forget to show us some after pics
Old 03-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Sorry to hear about you troubles. There is ZERO excusses for people to do crap like that. But there is a detail in your story that doesn't "hold water" You say she cheated on you and then later keyed your car? Hmmm, something's not right in this equation. Sounds like you cheated on her beforehand, she tried to "get back at you" by mirroring your behavior. When that "apparently" didn't work, she took the next step and damaged your property. Sounds like a pretty simple psychological equation. You need to be carefull now though because once she sees that the simple "keying" didn't effect you as much as she planned, she may try something even more dramatic. You need to take out a restraining order dude.
Thats the stupidest 'psychologial equation' i have ever heard. you dotn know shit so stfu.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
people die violently.

spank her ass
Old 03-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Banned

I never cheated on her. We lived together and I kicked her a$$ out. Gave her no time to find a place of her own. She's staying with a friend or something. I don't really care.

see that's why people need to THINK before actions esp. when dealing with women cause they'd come up with something that totally pwns you .

You should NOT have done this: "Gave her no time to find a place of her own."

She knows the car is your baby (heck by reading this thread I could tell) - she picked out a perfect target for revenge. - cause that's where it hurts you the most.

My suggestion is try to make up with her, maybe another for old-time's sake. This will totally ensure she would leave the car alone once and for all.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
hell, just kill her, cut up the remains, and feed them to hogs. Pigs will eat anything.

(You DO know I'm funnin' with you.. right?)
Old 03-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

I am guessing it was an ex-girlfriend. An ex-wife would have taken the car in the settlement.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Cruisin'

It was an ex girlfriend. We only lived together for a few weeks. She moved back with her girlfriend.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Sorry to hear about this mess man, hope your TL comes out great, I am sure it will.

Quick Reply: Keyed by Ex. Should I trade it in?