Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Karma got the best of me

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karma got the best of me

I used to poke fun at people who chose to drive auto TL's instead of choosing the 6MT option. How could you possibly pair that engine with a slushbox? With a 6MT, you could wring that engine out (to get the most use of that "torque", whatever is available) and shift to the appropriate shift point to utilize wahtever power was available. I told myself "Self, I don't think I'm going to drive a slushbox ever because having manual will give you the most control out of a car."

That was then, now I'm about to trade up to a TLS, and guess what...I've polled most of the dealers here in TX and not one carry a 6MT TLS. Either one is coming in 4 months or they have to get one out of state...like in Mississipi. It's coming to point where I may have to eat my words after all
Old 02-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I felt the same for years on the manual .. now I am older ... I like the convenience of not shifting 20 times to get up the switchbacks to home or the wobblie knee sitting with the clutch in at stop lights.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
bro, you also have to understand the tl-s auto tranny, it is no laughing matter, I mean I havent driven many cars but it is one hell of an auto

some of the features I've found
1. It downshifts before corners
2. Downshifts while breaking
3. Downshifts when you floor it (bellow gear in vtec powerband)
4. Remains in 2nd during nyc traffic (saves a little gas)
5. Remains in 3rd then bursts into 4th, killing the acura 4th gear dullness
Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by stillhere153
bro, you also have to understand the tl-s auto tranny, it is no laughing matter, I mean I havent driven many cars but it is one hell of an auto

some of the features I've found
1. It downshifts before corners
2. Downshifts while breaking
3. Downshifts when you floor it (bellow gear in vtec powerband)
4. Remains in 2nd during nyc traffic (saves a little gas)
5. Remains in 3rd then bursts into 4th, killing the acura 4th gear dullness
When I test drove one, what I've noticed is when I used the paddle shifters upshifting and downshifting demonstrated a little lag...minor but very noticeable for me.

Now if it's a 6 speed auto, I might have less resistance to adopting an auto TL.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
An auto, even sport mode, is never going to shift or feel anything at all like a manual. I was in the same boat when I was looking for my TSX. I was real close to just saying the hell with it all but once I drove the 6mt, man oh man was I sure I made the right choice. At very least you should drive a 6mt before buying the auto so you're fully informed about the choice your making.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Yes, it's obvious in Auto vs MT, MT will always provide the most of power from you car.

I went with Auto 08 TLS, and I have zero regrets, as I don't spend time jerking the stick in traffic, and I sit in traffic daily, I hate NYC only for this reason.

BUT, this car is a monster! The Auto Tranny is VERY aggressive, and I enjoy it every day, I love this damn car, you hit the gas on a highway, you'll blow by everyone...love to mess with those Zs and G35s, it's fun, lol.

Also, when I was getting the car, there was no 6MT in stock at all, they toild me if I wanted one I would have go to PA or further south to acquire one.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Depends on the auto. The SMG's in the M5's shifted better and faster than the manuals, and according to all of the people who have driven a GT-R, the only thing lost with it's automated dual clutch is the actual act of shifting (when in auto mode). The blanket statement that a manual is better than an auto is no longer valid; it all depends on the car.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Race Director

oh yeah, forgot to mention this, those Paddle Shifters are in the way! I can't drive with two hands on my steering wheel, so I'm still using "the stick."

I believe you get the same response form the Paddle Shifter as you do with Using +/- with a stick.... One thing I've noticed if you are trying to change gear and you are in the wrong rpms or speed there will be a delay, but once you get to know your car, you can really shift quite fast while maintaining the most of the powerband... But then again, in NYC, right before you finally get to the speed you want, you will be braking, and fast...freaken traffic.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Depends on the auto. The SMG's in the M5's shifted better and faster than the manuals, and according to all of the people who have driven a GT-R, the only thing lost with it's automated dual clutch is the actual act of shifting (when in auto mode). The blanket statement that a manual is better than an auto is no longer valid; it all depends on the car.

And the driver

But getting back to TLS Auto vs 6MT, 6MT will be quicker, plus it's lighter, so yeah a good driver in a 08TLS 6MT will spank my 08TLS Auto.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what I want to know is what gear does VTEC disengage on the A/T??? i know on the old S 4th n 5th there was no vtec..... on my M/T i have vtec until 5th at about 135mph -145mph n then 6 disengages vtec. But my Vtec begins at 4k and climbs til u redline. The new trannies are something else they are trying to get the F1 (smg, dsg,) shifting process down... on a front wheel drive car I dont think its that practical but it sure as hell is fun.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Not quite. Times for the auto M5 were quicker, albeit a tenth of a second or two, than the manual, regardless of the driver. However, I would agree that the TL is not one of the cars where the auto version will out perform the manual version.

I also agree on the paddle shifters...if I had a TL-S and used sport shift, I'd use the shifter and not the paddles.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Got VTEC?

Find a manual one. Even if it takes longer to get it. You won't regret it.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Drive FAst and Swirve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not quite. Times for the auto M5 were quicker, albeit a tenth of a second or two, than the manual, regardless of the driver. However, I would agree that the TL is not one of the cars where the auto version will out perform the manual version.

I also agree on the paddle shifters...if I had a TL-S and used sport shift, I'd use the shifter and not the paddles.
I agree...with the SMG tranny the car will always bit slightly faster, the shifts are more precise and will never be missed.....But in my opinion that type of tranny is the only "auto" tranny i would choose over a 6MT
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I laugh, cuz I want you guys to find an 6mt type s that can outperform my s evil grin ;(
Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
what I want to know is what gear does VTEC disengage on the A/T??? i know on the old S 4th n 5th there was no vtec..... on my M/T i have vtec until 5th at about 135mph -145mph n then 6 disengages vtec. But my Vtec begins at 4k and climbs til u redline. The new trannies are something else they are trying to get the F1 (smg, dsg,) shifting process down... on a front wheel drive car I dont think its that practical but it sure as hell is fun.

ive never used vtec in 5th gear cause there is no use for it...but as for 4th gear there is vtec and it gets used from 115 to 155 ...and my car downshifts when i brake and thru turns automatically...i cant wait to do the 6mt swap though
Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
An auto, even sport mode, is never going to shift or feel anything at all like a manual. I was in the same boat when I was looking for my TSX. I was real close to just saying the hell with it all but once I drove the 6mt, man oh man was I sure I made the right choice. At very least you should drive a 6mt before buying the auto so you're fully informed about the choice your making.

I've driven the 6MT TLS before at a dealership--but it's a demo. Who knows what sorts of people drove that car? For all I know they proabably did all sorts of downshifts at all RPM ranges. Bad for a new car.

I wouldn't mind driving an auto but I know out there is a 6MT..the trouble is is where to find it and how much it's going to cost me.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Drifting

I think the bigger question is patient can you be?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Drive FAst and Swirve

Originally Posted by AcidHorse
I've driven the 6MT TLS before at a dealership--but it's a demo. Who knows what sorts of people drove that car? For all I know they proabably did all sorts of downshifts at all RPM ranges. Bad for a new car.

I wouldn't mind driving an auto but I know out there is a 6MT..the trouble is is where to find it and how much it's going to cost me.
I think Vandergriff Acura in Arlington has a NBP 6MT, but when I called they were being bitches about it.....did not want to come at all, 37k or whatever they're asking for it is ridic considering ppl have been getting them for around 34k
Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

I know the feeling about wanting a 6MT TL-S. I could not find one so I ended up getting a 5AT. I guess part of the deciding factor was that I got an 07 leftover and got on hell of a deal. There are times I still wish I got the manual, but this auto is not bad. This is the first auto. car I have had in 11 years!!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Role model

yea, i used to feel that way about MT vs. AT, when I was young, immature, and a ricer.

now that I know better, it's not that big of a deal. i'm not a road and track test driver, and who really has a practical application for optimum shift points?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Registered TL User

Right on yoolykeme! I came to the same conclusion about 20 years later than you!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:21 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NOOOOO!!!! Hang in there and get a manual man! I don't care what you can do in an auto, it will always "feeeeelll" like a manual, but never quite it! Don't settle, go for it and keep it in the 6MT club!!!!!!! The experience is not all about power, it is also about control! With a manual, you are really in the "driver's seat"!!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The SMG is not an automatic transmission its a manual gearbox with a clutch, shift lever, but no clutch pedal, not an automatic torque converter & slushbox.

SMG = Sequential Manual Gearbox. Its based on the conventional manual BMW transmission.

In addition to the regular gearstick it has two paddles on the steering wheel so drivers can change gears, up and down, without taking their hands from the wheel, or there foot off the throttle.

Its very, very fast about 150ms on a shift
Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by leolebo28
I think Vandergriff Acura in Arlington has a NBP 6MT, but when I called they were being bitches about it.....did not want to come at all, 37k or whatever they're asking for it is ridic considering ppl have been getting them for around 34k

True that. Two Acura dealers (the ones in Plano & FW) told me that they maybe losing their Acura franchise because of their unfair business practices. Several complaints have been raised about that.

Add to that, when I went there they wouldn't disclose any prices until I give them my SS and do a credit check. F that.

Most of their cars have already been preloaded with Lo Jack and tinting, which adds to their bottom line. And you have to pay full price on those add-ons--no negotiations.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
I know the feeling about wanting a 6MT TL-S. I could not find one so I ended up getting a 5AT. I guess part of the deciding factor was that I got an 07 leftover and got on hell of a deal. There are times I still wish I got the manual, but this auto is not bad. This is the first auto. car I have had in 11 years!!
You're exactly in the same boat I'm in. All of my cars have been manuals. How does the auto compare to the 6MT?

Ever get the sensation of moving your left leg as a reflex thinking you still had a manual?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Actually, it's about 80ms, but that's still faster than a human. And the process of changing the gears is automated...no clutch pedal, no stick to move around...simply flick a paddle or tap the stick.

The GT-R has a true auto mode that shifts better than a person...no ambiguity there.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Same with some Porsche's. The 911 Turbo is faster 0-60 with TipTronic than with a Manual.

When you get into the high end, the technology exists to have SMT's that "act" like SportShift Auto's, but are faster than a human operated manual.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

John Eagle Acura (Houston)

John Eagle Acura in Houston has a NBP TL-S 6MT, saw it there on Saturday....pretty sure it's still there. Being that they have about 70 TL's on the lot they may be willing to come down....(not a lot of TL-S's though).....
Old 02-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Race Director

I don't know, when I was getting the TLS, auto or manual, I was offered the same price....I just don't get why they would sell the 6spd for more...supply and demand?

Call up a different state dealership... I rather pay for delivery service, it will come out cheaper.
I bought my car in PA, delivery fee was $150, saved myself over 3 grand.

And if you have long nice road stretches where you can really unleash, a 6spd is a must, but if your avg speed is below 20mph, like mine is in NYC, auto will allow you to read a book, smoke a stoggie, drink a cup of a coffee, scratch your, ummm, and flip a ricer off, nice
Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I don't know, when I was getting the TLS, auto or manual, I was offered the same price....I just don't get why they would sell the 6spd for more...supply and demand?

One answer...kids...they keep the demand up for the manuals.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Pro

I would test drive both before you make a decision. To me, the 6MT TL-S felt like a completely different car than the auto TL-S. Didn't even feel like the two had the same engine.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

im wandering when and were does this car become a race car? I bouth this vehicle for its luxury and relaxation when driving, What next racing a damn mini van or something. LOL grow up. And gas is expensive unless you live at home.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Drive FAst and Swirve

Originally Posted by ThisIsBS
im wandering when and were does this car become a race car? I bouth this vehicle for its luxury and relaxation when driving, What next racing a damn mini van or something. LOL grow up. And gas is expensive unless you live at home.
when did anyone mention anything about a TLS being a race car? And everyone is entitled to their own wants, needs and opinions for purchasing their vehicle. Just b/c you bought for what suits you does not mean that someone else feels the same..... Easy there killer
Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Advanced

Another vote to keep hunting for a 6MT!

As some others have said, its NOT all about performance. The 6MT is just plain fun to drive. My 04 is an AT only because in Canada back in 04 you couldn't get a 6MT with a Navi (go figure ) and i really wanted a Navi so I sacrificed the 6MT but when I get my Type S later this week it will be 6MT

If you've been a loyal MT owner you'll regret the AT after a while.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Acuras Only in

I used to drive MT but nowadays too much stress on my knees (from sports) force me to change to a AT type-s .... no regrets whatsoever ...
Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Advanced

Sure if he had physical limitations/issues than an AT would be the logical option but I don't believe this is the case
Old 02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Acuras Only in

With the kind of traffic here in the bay area, I would hurt my knees just from the driving alone with a MT ... LOL ...

Besides, with the hasstle of getting one MT ... who would but some die hards ?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Pro

I decided to go over to the darker side, Infiniti having the G35S Sport 6MT. Same situation there. No 6MT in stock in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. The closes one they have is in Oklahoma and for me to get it, I have to fork over $700 bones to get it transported.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sucks to be you! I am about to place the order for my TLS manual. I guess it helps cuz i work for the dealer! I refuse to own an auto unless im driving an SUV or something.