3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed new spark plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:37 PM
3G TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's throwing me off (and i'm sure there are a few scratching their heads as well) is that in the diy on page 2, there's a reference to the Iridium IX under #2. Myself, i've already purchased the OE so i'm good to go, but i've crossed a few posts in this thread asking the same question and yes, under the NGK fitment page, only the OE plugs are listed;nonetheless, there are also a few posts saying they have the IX on their vehicles. Now, i'm not sure if the people posting in this thread owns a 3G TL when they say they've great success with the NGK IX, so i'm just throwing that question out there in regards to the IX:

so...what's the deal with the NGK Iridium IX (ZFR6FIX-11)? Any conflict running this SP in a 3G TL (TO THOSE who've posted in this thread stating they've had success with this model and owns a 3G TL). Is this the plug you are using -->NGK Iridium IX (ZFR6FIX-11)?

1) Plugs to buy:

NGK Iridium Long Life [Park #: IZFR6K-11] (Recommended by most, very well priced)

The part # varies, ask and make sure you're getting the correct plugs.

Pulsar Pulse Plugs (Ultimate / Racing) [Part #: BE-1] (Very expensive plugs, results show 1mpg increase which may pay for themselves
over a years use.)

2) Where to buy them:

I bought mine at a local autoparts store because they were marginally cheaper than buying online. If you can
find better deals online, be my guest. I got my NGK Iridium IXs for $6.50 a piece at Kragens.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:57 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
The DIY will be up tonight, still making some adjustments to my pictures / content.

Tripnbeats: The procedure may be easy, but some don't feel confident enough to it themselves. I personally thought it would be a lot of work, but after taking an hour and a half .. it wasn't a big deal.

Plus, this will save you a trip to the dealer ...
Dont Worry you took the right approach with taking your time. While Spark Plugs is a relatively easy job, if you are inexperienced or just plain don't know what you are doing it is very easy to turn a 30 - 60min job into a big headache.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:22 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

The resistance of the bosch plugs will fry the plugs and maybe the coils- not today, but when its really bad timing,,, the car will run like its on 2 cylinders-

Never read or witnessed that with any of the bosch plugs. I don't think resistance would have any bearing here however. The Bosch 4's have a single center electrode with 4 "prongs" to complete the spark path to ground. If anything the multiple paths would result in less "resistance", internally they are no different than a standard platinum tip plug - but i'm no plug expert.
I have run the bosch 4's in a few vehicles to include a previous Honda. I currently run a set in my ski boat (picked them up cheap and thought what the heck), haven't had any problems with them.

I have however read that they tend to decrease fuel mileage and I don't believe any of the "performance" gain statements.

-Overall, i'm not sure if telling this guy he needs to remove/waist $45-50 worth of Bosch plugs is the answer. The 4's may not be the best option for his TL but I seriously doubt they will harm it. Now, If their is more to this plug/coil crippling issue with Bosch 4's I too would be interested in the info. I by no means am a Bosch lover yet do use them on occasion etc.

Thanks 01.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I dont know the exact reason why they hurt the TL- I can guess that 4 electrodes of sizeable mass vesus 1 very fine wire is a big part of it
The bosch are simply NOT approved for the tl
I dont care what else they run great in- I ONLY care about the TL
Others here have tried them -had problem- switched them out and problem solved
Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
I dont know the exact reason why they hurt the TL- I can guess that 4 electrodes of sizeable mass vesus 1 very fine wire is a big part of it
is it necessary to change the distributing wires when you change spark plugs???
Old 05-13-2008, 11:44 AM
WDP Director of R & D

I guess my next question is where does Honda state they are not approved or do they actually have a "list" of spark plugs/other components identified under an "approved" title? Now, I haven't looked in the owners manual but if it's in there you can slap me.. :-)

As mentioned, I'm not a plug guru but do know that besides heat ranges, different metals used for longevity purposes and possibly to enhance current flow a plug is a plug as long as it fits the application. I've just never read nor heard or experienced any plug that actually causes damage to an ignition system?

Curious is me..
Old 05-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Team Owner

swoosh-
we dont have plug wires- each spark plug has its own coil the sits on top of it, super hi energy discharge-
like the headlights are special hi intesity- we get the trick stuff!

kj- search here for bosch and there are several bad news stories of melted coils and other sorrow
I think on the hood spec label it says denso or NGK and the part number
Last night I found an old champion brochure with how to read plugs and what heat ranges and tips and such are all about. So much has stayed the same over the years- then radical jumps in technology!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,149 Likes on 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by KJSmitty
I guess my next question is where does Honda state they are not approved or do they actually have a "list" of spark plugs/other components identified under an "approved" title? Now, I haven't looked in the owners manual but if it's in there you can slap me.. :-)

As mentioned, I'm not a plug guru but do know that besides heat ranges, different metals used for longevity purposes and possibly to enhance current flow a plug is a plug as long as it fits the application. I've just never read nor heard or experienced any plug that actually causes damage to an ignition system?

Curious is me..
I have never read, heard or seen anything anywhere about a sparkplug causing damage to an ignition coil in any vehicle wheither direct coil or distributor with wires. The bulk of the resistance in the circuit when the plasma arcs across the gap is in the arc, not the resistor in the plug (which is there for RFI/EMI supression). What you read this is just urban legend and nothing more.

I did have a bad experience with Bosch Platinum+4 on my 1989 Legend, which had a misfire compared to the regular Bosch Platinum's they replaced. I do not know why but my guess is the four electrodes provided far too much blockage in the are around the plug in order to properly "promote" a flame in the fuel/air mixture. Oddly enough I recently replaced the spark plugs in my in-law's Cadallac and used the Bosch Platinum+2's anmd they worked great compared to the previous Bosch Platinum's. So go firgure but I suspect 4 electrodes may be too many.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Team Owner

Only their use on a TL is of concern at this moment in space and time~
Those 4 electrodes are massive pieces of wire
The FACTORY installed, NGK have a SINGLE--- VERY fine wire!
There has to be a big differance in the operating characteristics with
that big a design element

If acura had wanted us to use 4 electrode Bosch or other brand, it would have come with them!!

What you may have heard or not heard regarding these plugs in other engines, is not relative to what the real life experience of drivers of TLs on here have reported!!!
Ask any of the gurus- ask acura- what plugs do they sell?

Maybe it has to do with the very small amounts of room between valves and pistons- and maybe you can bash an electrode- pure speculation on my part
The wrong plugs CAN/MAY extend too far into the chamber.

Just because spark plugs fit many vehicles based on thread depth, cone length and heat range- companies take that info and spread it across the board in making parts books,- causing several brands to come up as fitting- fitting, but maybe not the ideal thing for your car.
For Example: Certain brake pads say they fit the rear- yeah, if you take a grinder to the backing plate first- otherwise they dont work at all on a TL~
actually cause a big problem you cant see visually or feel completely- but its a problem causing loss of effective braking pressure and pad wearout.
Since you already know all things good for our car I wont name names on makers.

Why not try some 2 buck autolite plugs for that matter- who needs 7 dollar spark plugs anyway- what a ripoff,,, and run it on 87 octane cause mythbusters says its ok on a sheetbox car they tested....

though I did like the above posters comparison of apples and shopping carts-
oh I have never heard of- but I personally had a misfire in a honda engine with them compared to platinum (single electrode?)
the 2 electrode plugs work fine in a totally non acura Cadillac engine......

That my
Old 05-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
I think the biggest pain was replacing the 3 rear plugs, .
You should try replacing the back 3 plugs on my Grand Prix GTP. You have to put the tranny in neutral, remove the front upper/engine mount, then tilt the engine forward 2 inches, and put the bolt through the secondary hole on the engine mount to hold the engine in the tilted position. Then you can crawl on top of the engine, and scrape your arms to get to the three back plugs which are BELOW the valve cover.

Not terribly difficult, but pretty tedious.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
REY
Intermediate

Denso Iridium

I replaced mine a few months ago at 50k or so and found it to be a fairly easy job with the right extensions. There are no plug wires to worry about and the rears just take a little time with your head stuck in a motor. I replaced mine with Denso Iridium and I mainly wanted to check the condition of the plugs and since I would have them out I figured why not replace. I didn't notice anything really different aside from smoother idle. I will change these out within 30k or so and I doubt theres any real value in their extra cost and lower lifespan. I always torque to spec on any job just makes me feel like its done right.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

next time get the NGK Iridium and pay less for better product with longer life- proven by ziners
Do a seafoam treatment too!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 PM
AZ Community Team

After all you ranting and raving about PulseStar plugs, Seafoam, Ignition Coils melting in this thread you make a comment about my previous plug experiences?

If acura had wanted us to use 4 electrode Bosch or other brand, it would have come with them!!

What you may have heard or not heard regarding these plugs in other engines, is not relative to what the real life experience of drivers of TLs on here have reported!!!

Maybe it has to do with the very small amounts of room between valves and pistons- and maybe you can bash an electrode- pure speculation on my part

Just because spark plugs fit many vehicles based on thread depth, cone length and heat range- companies take that info and spread it across the board in making parts books,- causing several brands to come up as fitting- fitting, but maybe not the ideal thing for your car.
For Example: Certain brake pads say they fit the rear- yeah, if you take a grinder to the backing plate first- otherwise they dont work at all on a TL~
actually cause a big problem you cant see visually or feel completely- but its a problem causing loss of effective braking pressure and pad wearout.

Why not try some 2 buck autolite plugs for that matter- who needs 7 dollar spark plugs anyway- what a ripoff,,, and run it on 87 octane cause mythbusters says its ok on a sheetbox car they tested....

oh I have never heard of- but I personally had a misfire in a honda engine with them compared to platinum (single electrode?)

That my
Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Team Owner

because your post made no sense and contradicts itself
You speak of other cars- I talk about the TL

as for seafoam- everyone here knows about it- I an not a rant and rave as you say

pulsestar plugs I have been interested in others results and do not have them on my car yet- initial results of 1mpg better does pay for itself quickly
Ignition issues with bosch plugs is a documneted problem by ziners found here on azine

I dont care about your 3 degrees- they mean nothing in real life based on your post! and your need to use other cars as measure against what works in an Acura
Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Read Post #67, I was the one advocating the OEM plugs. This rant and rave from you was annoying to say the least

That my
Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Read post 166 and post 168, it is fairly stated and clear that I responded to the original posting about the question asked about Bosch plugs.

Where are these so called documented coils melting with Bosch plugs? I searched Acurazine for "Bosch plugs coils" and could only find your ranting about Bosch plugs.

My 3 degrees help my career and engineering knowledge, but my auto knowledge comes from maintaining, modifying and repairing car and motorcycles for 30+ years mostly on Honda/Acura's since the early 80's. I'm still learning about cars and engines but have become wise enough not to say riduculous claims and statements.

because your post made no sense and contradicts itself
You speak of other cars- I talk about the TL

as for seafoam- everyone here knows about it- I an not a rant and rave as you say

pulsestar plugs I have been interested in others results and do not have them on my car yet- initial results of 1mpg better does pay for itself quickly
Ignition issues with bosch plugs is a documneted problem by ziners found here on azine

I dont care about your 3 degrees- they mean nothing in real life based on your post! and your need to use other cars as measure against what works in an Acura
Old 05-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Banned

what do you guys think, 30k too early to swap out the stock plugs from my 06 TL?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Unless you're having power or gas mielage problems I would not swap out the plugs.
Originally Posted by Acura3GTL
what do you guys think, 30k too early to swap out the stock plugs from my 06 TL?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Team Owner

the stock plugs are fine to 50 or 60k miles- then a change is good
Seafoam or bk44 or wynns cleaner in the fuel and intake manifold after 15k miles is going to help in these times of gas price going up a dime a week or more.
At that rate it will be 7 dollars a gallon in a year

You dont find the failures in threads on bosch- its buried in help needed post on misses and funky probs
If I misunderstood your post on OE plugs I apolagize here to you for that
I thought you were saying bosch 4 prongs...which I still say are not for our car
If the person who had the prob after the install will report back- we will have a fresh example if change and fix occurs with swap to ngk plugs

I dont make this stuff up- I read so many azine threads and got so much info on little aspects, I can spread that word. I go with what our Guru fsttyms1 says on plugs and many other items as well- he put 250k miles on the stock engine- then pulled it and dismantled- documenting the minimal wear inside and what oil and cleaners he used in that time.
Then he dropped in a cls motor and 6 speed- so he knows his stuff
My background is growing up with and working on race cars-airplanes-boats-motorcycles- etc.. all of which I have special licenses to operate~
and real life experience running shops- ordering parts- being the person the customer talks to, working on the cars- DIAGNOSING problems- fixing problems,
Now I like to hang out on azine as I learn the particlulars of the TL, and have done many things to my car already- so can pass along my personal experience and knowledge of specific issues and parts.
Ask me about brake caliper probs when you buy a car the brake fluid was never changed on!!!
Yet someone else will come here and say there is no need to ever change the brake fluid hahaahhahahahahaa
Old 05-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Banned

hey while were at it, how do you change the brake fluid? what tools do i need?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:17 PM
B16 Swapped TL

A small wrench, a pan to drain into and new fluid.

If you are careful enough to not let any air into the lines then you wont even have to bleed

As a rule I just stay away from Bosch Platinum +4's. Had misfire issues with them on multiple vehicles.

Autolites for my boosted vehicles, NGK Iridiums for my LS1 car, and if my car comes stock with platinum plugs, I'll keep an eye on them at oil changes, but change them at 60 - 80k miles.

Platinums are supposed to be good for 100k miles. No need in wasting money on new plugs when you dont need them!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:58 AM
Team Owner

read ther owner book on service schedule- most of us fall under severe use- that cuts the years/miles on the timing belt and plug life way down
Wasting money is by not replacing them when peak performance is lost-
Unless you like supporting the lifestyles of the oil company!
but thats just my opinion
Old 05-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Weird update: The densos work great some of the time, but it's strange, now when I start the car it still takes a second to turn over, and when it does start, sometimes it starts with a bamf. like I'll turn the key and churga-churga-churga-VWOMP, and then it runs pretty nice, and I have the rough idle still, but less frequently. strange, I hope it isn't the plugs. if they weren't 50 bucks and brand new I'd try switching over to the IX's.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:04 AM
B16 Swapped TL

read ther owner book on service schedule- most of us fall under severe use- that cuts the years/miles on the timing belt and plug life way down
Wasting money is by not replacing them when peak performance is lost-
Unless you like supporting the lifestyles of the oil company!
but thats just my opinion

Thanks for the info but I am far from severe use, hence me saying I will change them 60 - 80k miles, and no use in wasting money. Hell everyone else can change them at every oil change for all I care.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Team Owner

The parts store should be willing to do a return on the denso if you are not happy- then buy the NGK and see if that fixes the prob
You may need to clean the TB and IAC= that seems to be popular cure right now

Severe use is not just driving 100mph- its stop and go traffic or high temp weather and many other things- all listed in the owner manual
Old 05-16-2008, 07:15 AM
B16 Swapped TL

The parts store should be willing to do a return on the denso if you are not happy- then buy the NGK and see if that fixes the prob
You may need to clean the TB and IAC= that seems to be popular cure right now

Severe use is not just driving 100mph- its stop and go traffic or high temp weather and many other things- all listed in the owner manual

Thanks again. Like I said I am far from severe use. I understand severe use quite well.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

what is IAC again? Intake air something?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:35 AM
REY
Intermediate

next time get the NGK Iridium and pay less for better product with longer life- proven by ziners
Do a seafoam treatment too!

I would do a seafoam but I think the people around here may call the fire department. Although how much crap could there be in a car so young. Now doing that on my mustang would be fun but I think carbon build up and grease is about all that holds it together these days.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 AM
REY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SRT-11
Weird update: The densos work great some of the time, but it's strange, now when I start the car it still takes a second to turn over, and when it does start, sometimes it starts with a bamf. like I'll turn the key and churga-churga-churga-VWOMP, and then it runs pretty nice, and I have the rough idle still, but less frequently. strange, I hope it isn't the plugs. if they weren't 50 bucks and brand new I'd try switching over to the IX's.
You know something I've noticed the same thing about the densos, Well now at least I know I'm not crazy. I always assumed its not related because otherwise theres no problems but maybe I'll change them out. Such a shame
Old 05-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

dont seafoam cars held together withy crud or all the crud will leave!

Severe driving based on the book description is different than what many consider to be severe- everyone thinks they drive normally

The IAC Idle Air Control valve can get clogged and need cleaning- with or withour foam it still gets crud in it

Any car with over 15k miles is ready to get induction cleaning service-according to the dealer, and results of ziners

And I say remove those Denso plugs- return for full refund and buy NGKs
that is my opinion on the subject
Old 05-16-2008, 12:46 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by SporkLover
A small wrench, a pan to drain into and new fluid.

If you are careful enough to not let any air into the lines then you wont even have to bleed

As a rule I just stay away from Bosch Platinum +4's. Had misfire issues with them on multiple vehicles.

Autolites for my boosted vehicles, NGK Iridiums for my LS1 car, and if my car comes stock with platinum plugs, I'll keep an eye on them at oil changes, but change them at 60 - 80k miles.

Platinums are supposed to be good for 100k miles. No need in wasting money on new plugs when you dont need them!
Also had misfires on my 1989 Legend with the Bosch Platinum +4's.

Take a look at post #69, those are the original NGK plugs that came out of my 2003 Honda Pilot (J35 series motor similar to the J32 in the 3G TL) at 105K miles. Laser Platinum NGK's, as the photo's show the side/center electrode wear was literally nothing, and the amount of deposits was extremely little. My wife is the main driver on the Pilot and it gets alot of all-around driving (local short trips and long distance trips). There was no measurable difference in gas mileage or power that I could detect after replacing them. I was pretty amazed at them since I'm more used to 30-60K mile plug changes on cars made in the 80's to 90's.

So after that I'll stick to the 105K mile replacement schedule on the TL with the NGK Laser Iridiums unless mileage or power start to suffer.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:08 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Severe driving based on the book description is different than what many consider to be severe- everyone thinks they drive normally
Please refer to my previous post.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

dont seafoam cars held together withy crud or all the crud will leave!

The IAC Idle Air Control valve can get clogged and need cleaning- with or withour foam it still gets crud in it

Any car with over 15k miles is ready to get induction cleaning service-according to the dealer, and results of ziners

And I say remove those Denso plugs- return for full refund and buy NGKs
that is my opinion on the subject
Well after reading what you and REY wrote, I've emailed the seller to see if he'd swap me out for some NGK. at least when I do switch them out we'll know if this was truly the problem or not!
Old 05-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

ohhh you didnt buy them local - now I see why its more of a hassle
I get plugs at kragen for under 7 bucks each
Old 05-17-2008, 12:32 PM
REY
Intermediate

ohhh you didnt buy them local - now I see why its more of a hassle
I get plugs at kragen for under 7 bucks each
Yeah I bought mine a few months ago from autozone I'm not sure they will do it but I think I will find out today.

You know I had my car in for warranty work yesterday and I asked them what it would cost to rotate tires. $40 wtfomg they are nuts and I told them so! Oh well some people will pay that kind of thing I guess.

According to my friend at acura he is expecting the 09 on the lot in September. I thought I kept hearing November.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

New car years are often introduced in Sept
40 bucks at the dealer- well when your labor rate is 100-120 per hour....
Wait for a balance and rotate coupon or DIY or have a regular tire shop do it
Assuming you believe the tire rotoation myth
Modern tires are different in every way than old school days
When you move a rear tire to the front- suddenly it is being asked to pull the car and turn and brake--when all it did before was coast in a straight line
BMW has made a change to their books- no more rotate!!! as it takes about 100 miles for the tires to adapt to the new position- and in that time customers complain of pull and vibrations. There will always be an imbalnce in tire wear on a FWD car- weight and braking forces and all that stuff.
If the overall wear on my tires comes down to buying just 2 and the other 2 are like new, then I will buy 2 tires when needed ---and put the good ones in back- there is a reason!!!
Old 05-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Pro

^^^^^^^^ agreed 100% I've never rotated my tires on any of my cars.

D
Old 05-17-2008, 02:19 PM
REY
Intermediate

New car years are often introduced in Sept
40 bucks at the dealer- well when your labor rate is 100-120 per hour....
Wait for a balance and rotate coupon or DIY or have a regular tire shop do it
Assuming you believe the tire rotoation myth
Modern tires are different in every way than old school days
When you move a rear tire to the front- suddenly it is being asked to pull the car and turn and brake--when all it did before was coast in a straight line
BMW has made a change to their books- no more rotate!!! as it takes about 100 miles for the tires to adapt to the new position- and in that time customers complain of pull and vibrations. There will always be an imbalnce in tire wear on a FWD car- weight and braking forces and all that stuff.
If the overall wear on my tires comes down to buying just 2 and the other 2 are like new, then I will buy 2 tires when needed ---and put the good ones in back- there is a reason!!!
I had no knowledge of that thanks a lot! I guess theres always something new to learn.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Team Owner

To the person who bought plugs at zone- they are really good on return policy- get the ngks installed and take the other brand back- with receipt!!!! and tell them the car doesnt like them- not on the approved list from acura~
They just look up stuff in the computer- which was filled with info by someone using a cross referance chart and not actual car people who know whats going on
AND they for some reason (company sales contest?) seem to push the bosch and especially the 4 pronged ones
I had to explain things to my local zone on that one,- the went to kragen who did sell ngk and was happy to produce the right ones for me.

I bet the factory manual says the same thing the owner book and hood stick say
about what plugs to run

Someone just questioned the NEED to prefill the oil filter on change- saying the factory repair book doesnt says its required!!! hahahahahahaaha
Believe the book--- or experiment with important things on your own....hmmmmmm
Old 05-17-2008, 06:23 PM
REY
Intermediate

To the person who bought plugs at zone- they are really good on return policy- get the ngks installed and take the other brand back- with receipt!!!! and tell them the car doesnt like them- not on the approved list from acura~
They just look up stuff in the computer- which was filled with info by someone using a cross referance chart and not actual car people who know whats going on
AND they for some reason (company sales contest?) seem to push the bosch and especially the 4 pronged ones
I had to explain things to my local zone on that one,- the went to kragen who did sell ngk and was happy to produce the right ones for me.

I bet the factory manual says the same thing the owner book and hood stick say
about what plugs to run

Someone just questioned the NEED to prefill the oil filter on change- saying the factory repair book doesnt says its required!!! hahahahahahaaha
Believe the book--- or experiment with important things on your own....hmmmmmm

Yeah they said within 90 days they will take them back no problem and refund me however the receipt is required and its been a long time so that could be hard. Anyways they dont have the ngk at autozone so they actually referred me to kragen. I have always liked ngk anyways thats what I have always used in dirt bikes and they run well.

Quick Reply: Just installed new spark plugs.