Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got off with Acura. No resolution in sight on harmonic vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got off with Acura. No resolution in sight on harmonic vibration

Acura has told me that there no resolution in sight to this problem. SO for all of you who think this is going away any time soon you are in for a suprise. According to District Manager Could be 2-4 months at least. Now this is the harmonic vibration from 50-80 MPH. Also for me me on 18 inch rims tires from the factory.
If you decide to post please:

State the exact problem and tire, rims, size
Old 01-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Racer

another thread about this?????
Old 01-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Racer

That a bad answer...

My suggestion is keep taking it in and have them try to figure out the problem. Once you get past the lemon law requirements... I think acura will listen.

I'm on my fourth trip for this problem and they cant figure it out. I'm filling my gun with ammo and getting ready to fire.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Racer

Good Description

I'm waiting to see if the problem is eliminated when my tires are replaced, but you've described it well scelipt. Its a subtle but constant vibration that you can feel in the dead peddle and the arm rest at constant speed on a smooth road. It's definitely coming through the chassis. If that's the case, its an even bigger issue for Acura.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lemon law? I don't think there's any way, unless this vibration is truly SEVERE. Lemon laws have specific requirements, and, maybe unfortunately, they don't allow the owner to determine if he/she owns a lemon. If the dealer and manufacturer say the car is normal, they aren't going to take it in for repair over and over again. So it won't be out of service for the requisite period at an Acura dealer and won't have a documented record of the large number of repair attempts. Some States' laws also require a certain severity of the problem, such as a safety problem. (If they can't make your brakes work after 3 repair attempts, you may be in luck. If they can't get your bumper to line up right, that doesn't qualify as a lemon.)
Old 01-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Hybrid
Lemon law? I don't think there's any way, unless this vibration is truly SEVERE. Lemon laws have specific requirements, and, maybe unfortunately, they don't allow the owner to determine if he/she owns a lemon. If the dealer and manufacturer say the car is normal, they aren't going to take it in for repair over and over again. So it won't be out of service for the requisite period at an Acura dealer and won't have a documented record of the large number of repair attempts. Some States' laws also require a certain severity of the problem, such as a safety problem. (If they can't make your brakes work after 3 repair attempts, you may be in luck. If they can't get your bumper to line up right, that doesn't qualify as a lemon.)
Not true. Just because the manufacturer claims a particular problem is characteristic of the car does not necessarily exempt it from the lemon law per Lexus case below:

the problems covered by a state's law may include not only vehicle "defects," but also "conditions" giving rise the complaint. For example, to counter a manufacturer's defense that because "all models are designed in a particular way there can be no defect," state laws often protects consumers from "conditions" not qualifying as defects also. Toyota, in defending a Lexus 300 coupe's "kerclunk" noise from its rear suspension in a recent Virginia trial, argued that sporty type cars have tighter suspensions and are expected to make more noise. The jury rejected this explanation in light of clear videotape evidence exhibiting a loud and disturbing metallic noise from the vehicle when crossing speed bumps, and a Lexus Technical Service Bulletin describing the exact problem and suggestions for a "fix."
Old 01-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Hybrid

Arizona Lemon Law

by Richard Keyt

Arizona's lemon law is contained in Arizona Revised Statues Sections44-1261 to 44-1267._ The Arizona lemon law provides that if a new motor vehicle purchased by a consumer does not conform to all applicable express warranties, the manufacturer, its agent or its authorized dealer or the issuer of a warranty shall make those repairs necessary to conform the vehicle to the express warranties._

Remedies for Violation of the Arizona Lemon Law

If, after a reasonable number of attempts,_ the manufacturer, its agents or its authorized dealers do not conform the vehicle to an express warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition that substantially impairs the use and value of the motor vehicle to the consumer, the manufacturer must :

Replace the vehicle with a new vehicle, or

Accept the return of the vehicle from the consumer and refund to the consumer the full purchase price, including all collateral charges, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle.

If a consumer prevails in an Arizona lemon law action, the court shall award the consumer reasonable costs and attorney fees
Old 01-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Racer

My Vibration is very severe around 80MPH.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
6spdzoomzoom,

I had to practically rub my service manager's face in the fact that he hadn't troubleshot my 4 tires for the vibration problem on my car. As soon as they did (by swapping in a complete new set of wheels/tires; took less than 1 hour), my problem was fixed.

If they have some TLs sitting on the lot (especially slow-moving colors like beige or red - the color of the donor car for my new wheels/tires), it should be easy for them to swap the wheels/tires from a new one on your car and see if the vibration problem goes away.

Mike

P.S. This experience reinforces why I've been going to an independent mechanic that I trust for many years; he listens to me and my diagnostic ideas, he personally test drives the car to understand the problem, and he fixes it right the first time.

I won't darken the Acura Service Department's door for anything except warranty repairs. They're no better than the service department at my local Ford dealer, and light years behind the service dept at our local Honda dealer.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by svtmike
... especially slow-moving colors like beige or red ...
Crud! I didn't know that my color selection was going to make my car slower!

Hey, Mr. Saleman - Change my order to an Anthracite with Ebony!
:p

¿GotJazz?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
It's a little-known fact that beige and red paint have significantly higher wind resistance.

Of course, I meant slower-selling.

Mike
Old 01-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Racer

SVTMIKE,
Thanks...
I not going to go the lemon law route unless I can't convince my service department to do the right thing.

I have taken the car in 3 time already,
the first time they balanced the tires.
The second time they balanced the tires on the Hunter road force device.
The third time they were supposed to change the tires and see if the problem went away. I never got that far but, the Service Manager did drive the car with me and he felt the vibration. he drove another 6spd Brand new 18000 build # and he felt teh same problem.

I'm going to beat on them some mor tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Advanced

I posted a new thread on this but here was my answer and it worked

I am sure all of you know who I am by now. The man with 8 million posts about vibrations. Well I bit the bullet yesterday and purchased aftermarket rims and tires to get back on 18 inch rims. First my dealer tried to convince me that he would try Yokohamas on my 18 inch rims that had been sitting in his warehouse. I said why, your service dept. told they vibrated to. So I made a deal, If I go aftermarket and it works, vibration gone, he keeps the $2500 for rims and tires and installs A-SPEC for that price including labor. The Manager agrees figuring I am nuts and this problem wont be corrected by me.

For thr Record I went with
DeZenyo (a new high end spin off from ROH) Vipers
Toyo Proxes FZ4 235/40/18

http://www.partsandpolish.com/wheelframe.html

click on the link and then Dezanyo on left side of the screen and you will se my car. The picture is sh***y but you can sort of see it.

To make this story short, had the car up to 95mph and not even so much as a twitch. So my dealer ordered the ASPEC and I will post pics of that next week after I get everything finished up. I am keeping the 17 inch rims and tires that came with the car cause you never know. But why all this stuff happened in the first place is beyond me. For any who dont know about whats been happening I am providing links to my other threads so you can.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showt...?threadid=67534

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showt...?threadid=67379

Any peace to all and good luck to eveyone in the New Year
Old 01-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: I posted a new thread on this but here was my answer and it worked

scelipt,

I saw a Sliver TL with new rims, it that yours?

Looks great.

So, based on your description, u uses $2500 to get A-Spec without paying any additional cost? Wonderful.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Advanced

Yeah in theory but jay at the dealership is still working on it. Problem is that Acura wont sell him kit without wheels. With what happened to me who would want them.