3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did my first oil change and it's a PAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Just did my first oil change and it's a PAIN!

At 2844 miles, and 7 weeks, I just performed my first oil change. The reason is that I wanted to do it before I went on a 1200 mile road trip in 8 days.

It's a pain in the butt. The pain is in the removal of the old filter. As soon as the seal breaks, oil really flows down the side of the filter and onto the right front submember. Cleanup is easy and it doesn't get all over the place.. just a pain. Not at all like the Altima V6 which is a piece of cake and a very clean job.

So for those of you who have not done this yet, be prepared for some very oily hands.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was one of the easiest cars I've ever changed oil on! Both the drain plug and oil filter are easy to access, and there are no pastic underpanels to remove. Yes, the oil drains down the side of the filter, but if you have a drain pan underneath, it's not a problem. Wear a disposal latex glove on the hand you remove it with to keep the mess away. (They are cheap). It's not that hard to crack the seal and remove your hand before the oil really starts flowing. Drape a plastic grocery store bag over the suspension member to keep it from getting oil on it. (Even if it gets oil on it, it's easy to wipe off).
Old 09-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention People Of Oil Change Land:

For less than the cost of a CD, you can have someone change your oil for you. It's true! You just pull into your Acura dealer and read some magazines next to the large breasted receptionist. Twenty minutes and two trips to the bathroom later, it's done.

Will modern miracles never cease? Oh, we've got indoor plumbing, electric lighting, and refrigeration too. Check 'em out!

BJ
Old 09-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

To Hybrid;

Just about everything you said was true. But my Altima SE was still one of the easiest cars I ever owned to do an oil change.. the other being my '88 Mustang LX 302CID.

Oh, an I have to buy a shorter torque wrench to use for the drainplug. No biggy.. just didn't plan on it.

To boltjames;

Sorry, I wouldn't dream of letting someone else do my oil change. Just too damned anal.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
I did my first oil change last week. I don't remember a problem with the oil dripping, but I usually put some paper towels around anything below the oil filter to catch the drips. There wasn't very much oil dripping down, and the paper towel caught it all..

My biggest problem is that I have a metal compressing strap wrench that I used to remove the filter, since I don't have the correct size tool that fits on the end of the filter. With the suspension parts so near, it was very hard getting the strap wrench on and there was not much room to turn it. I plan on getting the proper adapter that fits the filter before the next oil change.

To boltjames: what southernboy said.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I have not changed the oil in my TL yet, but I will offer you a suggestion (assuming the filter is mounted in the "up" position like most filters.

After draining the oil from the pan, and before loosening the filter, poke a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain. This works great on most cars.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I can understand a timing belt, a bad valve, a transmission issue....but a simple oil change? You won't trust Acura to do an oil change?

Anal is one thing, but that's a bit crazy.

BJ
Old 09-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by boltjames
I can understand a timing belt, a bad valve, a transmission issue....but a simple oil change? You won't trust Acura to do an oil change?

Anal is one thing, but that's a bit crazy.

BJ
Obviously you have never read, or have forgotten you read, the horror stories people relate about their oil changes done at the dealer.

1. I brought my own oil, and it was still in the trunk when I got home
2. I checked the dipstick and it was way over the line
3. I had it done at the dealer last time, but decided to do it myself this time. They must have used an impact wrench to tighten the drain plug and the oil filter
4, Oh, the grease stains in the car, oh, the agony of it all
5. Who knows what kind of oil they use at the dealer
etc, etc, ad infinitum
Old 09-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Instructor

I had m first oil change 2800 miles into my road trip; 150 miles past due. The dealer just south of Atlanta was great. I had my tires rotated too.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ron A
Obviously you have never read, or have forgotten you read, the horror stories people relate about their oil changes done at the dealer.

3. I had it done at the dealer last time, but decided to do it myself this time. They must have used an impact wrench to tighten the drain plug and the oil filter
etc, etc, ad infinitum
i agree sometimes i wonder how come dealers can't do a simple oil change. my oil on the dip stick was way over the line as well when i checked recently. f*ken morons can't do something as simple as an oil change right.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:29 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

etc, etc, ad infinitum

Hey, I'm following you if you're talking about a 1987 Chevy Cavalier that you're debating as to whether or not to take it to the local Jiffy Lube or Fred & Sons Garage. You're 100% correct that you take your chances there.

But you're talking about a brand new luxury car purchased at one of the most dependable, reliable, and quality-laden dealerships in America with the Acura TL. Maybe I'm jaded because my Acura dealer's a one-off standalone and not part of any conglomerate auto-mall, but they've got a huge issue with quality and unbelievable customer service ethics where I'm at. Never had a scratch in the interior or any single incident in over 10 years with any of my Acura's.

Like I said, maybe I'm just fortunate and not living in the real world, but I really think that if an Acura dealership is to be trusted for a major engine/tranny problem they certainly can be trusted to turn a plug counterclockwise, stick in a hose, pull the trigger, and turn the plug back in. No?

BJ
Old 09-05-2004, 01:48 AM
Intermediate

I love my dealership, too, BJ. BUT!, they scratched-up 6 rims on my TL before they finally got the "New Tires For My Car, EL42's Finally Gone" thing right. Well, almost right. After the fourth visit to the dealership, it seems that I'll have to go back for another. It appears that they tried to pass-off one of the scratched rims on me. They polished it up pretty good and it doesn't look that bad at first glance. But that is another story. What I guess I'm trying to say is, is that every now and then the dealerships will really fugg things up. They may be forthcoming and disclose their boo-boo to you and perform all the required work to get it right. Sometimes, they'll fugg it up and never say a word to you and hope you don't call them on it. And sometimes, they are just idiots that have a bad day. Either way, us anal types prefer to do some of the "small" things ourselves to make sure they are done right. Heck, some freaks may even enjoy working on their own cars. Some sort of perverted pleasure, I guess....
Old 09-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

To boltjames;

You wrote,

"I can understand a timing belt, a bad valve, a transmission issue....but a simple oil change? You won't trust Acura to do an oil change?

Anal is one thing, but that's a bit crazy."

Well, it's more than just being anal, really.. although with me, that's probably the primary reason. I can perform my work at my discretion in my own driveway, with my garage there when I need something. I know it was done right. I know there won't be any greasy hands on the paint or steering wheel or interior. I know there won't be an accidental scratch caused by a tool scraping my paint. I know the filter gasket from the old filter will not mistakingly be left on the engine fitting. I know what and how much oil is going into the engine. And on and on.

And one more thing. I buy cars which are more than just point A to point B machines because I absolutely love to drive. This means I tend to be quite fond of my cars. Which means it really makes it hard to turn them over to someone else, even for a short time, to do work. Yeah, that meay be anal, but it's also being a gearhead.

Don't misunderstand me, though. I'm happy there are people like yourself who prefer to have others do this kind of thing. It's good for the economy. I just won't be joining you, if you don't mind.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Racer

EXACTLY right, SouthernBoy! I'd add that doing it yourself also lets you get more of the old oil out of the engine. We have the luxury of waiting more time for the draining process, where the dealers and shops get the great majority of it, and put the plug back in. Also add: no overtorqued filters or drain plugs, and I know whether the drain plug gasket is new or used, or even there at all. I also take the time to pre-fill the filter with some oil, to reduce the time on restart when there is low oil pressure (or too little oil circulating).
Old 09-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hybrid
Also add: no overtorqued filters or drain plugs, and I know whether the drain plug gasket is new or used, or even there at all. I also take the time to pre-fill the filter with some oil, to reduce the time on restart when there is low oil pressure (or too little oil circulating).
I forgot to mention that. When I did my first oil change, there was no drain plug gasket. Just the drain plug screwed into the pan. This was from the factory, but it could also happen at the dealer.

And I also prefill the filter. Really easy when it mounts straight up.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Instructor

I wonder how many dealers actually use a torque wrench to tighten the filter? I do - and I also use a new gasket on the drain plug. Me = ANAL
Old 09-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

I bought three oil filters for the TL when I returned to the dealer to get my BSMs installed. I'm doing my first change at 3,000 miles regardless of what the computer says, and I'm doing changes at 3,000 miles thereafter.

BTW, my TL is up to around 1,800 trouble-free miles. No rattles and everything works as it should. I *did* finally notice flat-spotting on the tires when we had a 65 degree morning. It's annoying, but I'm going to live with it 'til the tires need replacement.

I like to get my hands dirty. I KNOW what's going into the car and I know that it's being done correctly. There's also the sense of pride knowing that I can do the job myself without having a "professional" drain my oil and change my filter.

I'll be taking a weekend this month to do oil and filter, transmission fluid and filter, fuel filter, coolant flush and fill, belts, hoses and brakes on my 1999 Toyota Solara. It's probably around $150 worth of parts and the dealer would probably charge over $800 for the same services.

Regards,
Old 09-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Another milestone in Acura-tl posting. Congrats.

There are so many obvious ways to deal with this.

1) I get large ziplocs bags, which I wrap around the filter - when I loosen the filter, everything goes into the bag, including the filter. nice and neat.

2) Many people make a "bib" out of aluminum foil, put it under the filter's chin

3) Poke hole in filter - drain as others have said.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

The Zip Lock bag idea sounds like something I will try next time. Just start the loosening of the filter a little then wrap the bag around the filter. Like Road Rage said, as you turn, everything goes into the bag. One good thing. No oil got spilled on my canvas tarp I put under the engine area to catch said spills. And I am having a heck of a time finding a short torque wrench. When you find short, the calibration is in inches/pounds. I just want a short ft/lb metered torque wrench for my drain plug.

Great idea about the Zip Lock bag! Thanks.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Just posted. Need I say more about doing your own oil changes?

"Guess what the dumbasses at Acura of Pleasanton did. So, I get my first service last week. I bring the car home and my friend notices there oil on the ground after I pull out of the driveway the next day. I look underneath and tap the drain plug. IT'S TOTALLY FUCKIN' LOOSE. How stupid do you have to be to forget to tighten the oil drain plug???
Old 09-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Holy moley, Southern Boy, you beat me to it. I just saw that thread and had my reply all typed up in Word, and then I look for this thread and there it is. I think I'll post it anyway. It might take two of us to make bj take notice.

It was in this post http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...50&postcount=1

Originally Posted by TLover
Guess what the dumbasses at Acura of Pleasanton did. So, I get my first service last week. I bring the car home and my friend notices there oil on the ground after I pull out of the driveway the next day. I look underneath and tap the drain plug. IT'S TOTALLY FUCKIN' LOOSE. How stupid do you have to be to forget to tighten the oil drain plug???
And thank you, Road Rage, for the ziploc idea. That's the best idea I've seen for an oil change since I got the bright idea of putting hardware cloth over the top of my oil drain bucket, so when the drain plug slips out of my hand, I don't have to go fishing in hot oil to find it.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Hey changing oil is just about the only thing most people can do on their cars anymore. It is also the most important minor maintenace. I use synthetic oil in sevral of my vehicles and will do the same when the TL arrives. Most dealers don't carry what I put in my vehicles. Also, I think that the guys just learning mechanics get to change the oil at the dealerships and at quick lubes a quick oil change is the goal not a correct oil change. Lastly, I would spent all my time on the road with 7 vehicles. It is quicker for me to do them at home. Great recommendation about zip lock bags.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

Back when my daughters were in high school, one of my oldest daugthter's friends had a little 4-cylinder Jeep. Well, she took it to a fast lube place (don't know which one, in all fairness). Shortly after having her oil changed, she noticed smoke and a strong odor, but not knowing cars or what to do, she drove home.. and lunched her engine!!

I don't know what caused her to lose oil, but I would bet it was either the old gasket being left on the engine fitting. This is a not-too-uncommon occurrence when removing filters. I've had it happen to me twice with former engines. Once with my wife's 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass and once with a 1989 Sea Ray 268 Sundancer boat with a 454 Chevy. Both filters were AC Delco. And both problems were discovered before anything was damaged.. thank God. Now I check everything very carefully as I go through the process to make sure nothing was missed. Then I crank up the engine, raise the RPMs to 2500 for about 1/2 minute, then get back under the car to look for any leaks or other abnormal signs.

Let's face it. If you take it to a place to do the work, think of this. They don't own the car so they don't have any allegiance to it or really, to you. Do you think for one minute they are going to take the same amount of care and time you would? Not on your life. Suppose the technician has a screwdrive in his back pocket when he gets into your car to move it into the bay? Now you could very well have a hole in your seatback.

BTW, the girl in my posting lost her short block to the tune of $1600. She tried to get the place to cover for their mistake, but she had either lost or thrown away her receipt. Needless to say, she lost here, too.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:03 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was a dealer mechanic for over 8 years, and a darn good one. I was always conscientious and careful with the customers car, treated them like they were my own. Never the less, I still made dumb/stupid mistakes over the years. It just happens.

At most dealerships, the oil change "technicians" are usually young, untrained, and learning as they go. Due to this, its something as easy as an oil change that results in the most accidents involving a costumers car. I could write a book on all of the "mishaps" I have seen occur while a car is in for an "oil change".. These are the same "technicians" that rotate tires, change tires, balance tires, and any other supposedly easy task that the line mechanics on commission normally won't do, including many rattle repairs.

Sure, their are bound to be some good dealerships/mechanics out there (that have it all together), and if everything BJ states about his is fact, then he has a good one. Every one that I have dealt with in the past 15 years, covering 4 states - for a lack of a better word, have sucked... They are either ignorant, or attempt to treat you like your ignorant - and thats the professional/educated portion of the staff. I wont even discuss the rest.

Until I am physically/mentally incapable, I treat the Service Department like I do hospitals,
I don't go unless I absolutely have to.....

Best of luck
Old 09-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Cruisin'

Where have you all purchased your filters from? Does Fram make one? Do you buy them from the dealer? Auto parts store?
Old 09-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Not a Blowhole

Holy moley, Southern Boy, you beat me to it. I just saw that thread and had my reply all typed up in Word, and then I look for this thread and there it is. I think I'll post it anyway. It might take two of us to make bj take notice.

It was in this post http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...50&postcount=1

And thank you, Road Rage, for the ziploc idea. That's the best idea I've seen for an oil change since I got the bright idea of putting hardware cloth over the top of my oil drain bucket, so when the drain plug slips out of my hand, I don't have to go fishing in hot oil to find it.
Ron and Southern Boy:
1) Let me clarify the ziploc idea - I get 4 mil thick ones of the needed size from www.mcmaster.com. I guess the thin ones you get at the grocery store will also work.
2) Let the oil cool a bit and protect your hands and face. The baggies do work, but safety first. I would not want anyone's well-being jeopardized by any suggestion I have or will make.
3) Have a coupla paper towels ready for the inevitable residual drops, and newspaper under the cars for same. Wipe the mounting bracket clean and ensure it does not have the filter's o-ring on it (it happens)
4) Finally, I do not use engine oil to lube the filter o-ring. I use silicone grease, like Syl-Glide from NAPA. It stands up to the thermal cycling better than oil.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Road Rage. I do not get the engine up to full operating temperature.. would be much too hot to deal with an oil change. I use a heavy, large canvas tarp under the car which I drive up onto homemade wooden ramps (this car does not seem to negotiate the standard composite ones you get at AutoZone). I tend to use copious amounts of paper towels when I do an oil change as well. Always clean the engine side filter fitting and check to make sure there is no gasket left from the oil filter.. have had that happen twice before (a boat and a car). But I do use engine oil to lube the new rubber gasket.

I torque the drainplug whenever possible and mark the bottom of the filter to be certain I turn it 3/4's of a turn (this car). I always start the engine and run it up a bit for a short then inspect my work to make sure there are no leaks.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

To Wi_Acura_TL_Fan;

I use Mobil 1 filters (M1-104) for my TL and buy them usually at AutoZone.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
To Wi_Acura_TL_Fan;

SB: A tip - the STP filters are essentially the same as the mobil's, down to the stamped lettering on the intake side. They are made by Champion. A fraction of the cost.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
To Wi_Acura_TL_Fan;

i prefer WIX brand oil filter.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Road Rage;

Interesting. I use STP filters in my wife's BMW. Much better quality than the Fram filter for that car.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:32 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by Wi Acura TL Fan
Where have you all purchased your filters from? Does Fram make one? Do you buy them from the dealer? Auto parts store?
Just to name a few:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl.html All the way to the end.
http://www.4filters.com/knfilters.htm Select year, make, and model; or use HP-1004 on the parts search.