3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just detailed my car...please read, need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just detailed my car...please read, need help!!!

I just finished detailing my car and it looks beautiful. One problem i was hoping someone can help me with. One some of my windows they just wont clean. It is the upper window and it looks like dirt but I think it is from pollution and car exhaust, etc. I tried rain-x but it didnt work in taking it off. I am thinking that some kind of window polish would be successful in taking it off but I have no idea which one to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Some of you guys must have this problem and I know that you guys got it off somehow. Thanks for the help!
One more thing. On the inside of my car, the strip of carbon fiber running along the drivers side is scratched up from the previous owner of the car. I think from his seatbelt. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is easy to strip the piece off and put a new one on. Anyone know if this is possible and how much it would cost.

Thanks again!
Dave
2004 TL SSM Auto
Old 10-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you say "upper window" do you mean the sunroof/moonroof glass? If so, are you trying to get the mineral deposits (water stains) off of the outside of the glass? Fine glass polish should do the job. If there is a lot of mineral buildup, you may need a slightly coarser polish. It may take a bit of rubbing, but these things work. Application of Rain-x is counter productive.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Do you have persistent water spots? If so, then it is from the acid in the rain water etching your glass. If they are real faint, Rain-X should cover them up, but if they are still there, then the only way to get rid of them is with a glass polish. I used Griot's on my RX-7 and it worked pretty well. But it does take a lot of elbow grease!
Old 10-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Instructor

If it is water spots then a mixture of 50/50 vineger and water should do the trick. This will netrualize the mineral deposits on those spots. A great website for auto detailing is autopia.com.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

It is not the sunroof. It is the drivers side, back drivers side and back window. They are water spots from minerals and or pollution. Im guessing car exhaust created most of them. So a glass polisher would work in removing these? Anyone have one that they have used and what were your results!

I really love this place!!! you guys are so helpful!!!!
Old 10-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Acura Sales Manager

Here's what we do here at the dealership. Get some very fine steel wool, and glass cleaner like windex or something. Spray the glass cleaner on the affected areas, and rub with the steel wool. The offending water spots or environmental fall out will be gone! Then use a towel to clean the rest of the glass. Works everytime!
Old 10-03-2004, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1,010 Likes on 576 Posts
Originally Posted by HennaMySilTL
One more thing. On the inside of my car, the strip of carbon fiber running along the drivers side is scratched up from the previous owner of the car. I think from his seatbelt. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is easy to strip the piece off and put a new one on. Anyone know if this is possible and how much it would cost.

Thanks again!
Dave
2004 TL SSM Auto
If you are talking about the pieces in this thread, here is the info for removal and pricing (I know you said carbon fiber and these are aluminum,so let me know if these are not what you were talking about):
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90964

And I will move this thread to Wash & Wax tomorrow.

EDITED 10/4/2004 1:24 pm
Changed my mind about moving because now there is a combination of wash and wax and console trim information, so I will leave it here.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

It is the trim on from the dash along the edge of the floor console. It could be aluminum, it is silver on dark interiors and i believe it is wood on light interior case.
I looked at the link and still cannot figure it out.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Administrator

The item numbers for the aluminum trim are 5 and 9. As far as I know, all cars come with aluminum trim regardless of interior color. If yours are shiny aluminum with a grainy pattern, then those are them. I don't think carbon fiber will scratch like the original aluminum trim.

If the pieces are actually carbon fiber, they are probably after market pieces. Maybe someone who has done this can help us out.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

I think they are part number 5 and 9. Which one is on the drivers side (5?) If i order just one would they give me instructions on how to take the old one off and put the new one on. Is this hard to do?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

The vinegar trick really works. Try it before you go for the more aggressive stuff. Works great on paint also.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:32 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Ron A mentioned the Wash and Wax thread area, and I must say that I asked some important, urgent questions there, and yet I got no answer. Nobody really goes there that often, unlike the 3G thread which seems to have a new post every 3 minutes. Anywho, just thought I put in a plug for the Wash and Wax thread, there's some good stuff there, just no responses.....

carcar
Old 10-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by HennaMySilTL
I think they are part number 5 and 9. Which one is on the drivers side (5?) If i order just one would they give me instructions on how to take the old one off and put the new one on. Is this hard to do?
It looks like #9 is the driver's side, but tell the parts person when you order it you want the driver's side trim.

The instructions are in the thread reference in my posting above. I never did it myself, but some posters have reported it is not hard, but it is easy to damage the trim if you are not careful. This shouldn't matter, in your case, since you are replacing it and not removing it so you can remove the console.

If you do it yourself, let us know how you did it.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:23 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by sellnACURA
Here's what we do here at the dealership. Get some very fine steel wool, and glass cleaner like windex or something. Spray the glass cleaner on the affected areas, and rub with the steel wool. The offending water spots or environmental fall out will be gone! Then use a towel to clean the rest of the glass. Works everytime!
SellnAcura -- Question for you is the "Protection Pkg" they sell at the dealership worht the $$$? What you get is a sealant for the exterior and interior aas well as a trunk liner. What kind of sealant do they use for the exterior?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Intermediate

The Griots Garage glass polish works great. You can use it with a buffer to cut down on elbow grease.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Acura Sales Manager

The exterior sealant is different for every dealership. It usually consists of some good wax. (secret) oops! The real value of the protection package is usually the warranty that accompanies it. Our store will sell you a Perma-Plate protection package. It seals the outside paint, and the interior sealant "seals" the leather and carpet. Your $$$ pays for the warranty, 7year on paint and fabric/leather. If it stains, or fades it gets replaced. So now ya know...