Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep SRT and BMW M5 Fun

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Jeep SRT and BMW M5 Fun

Well . . . some more fun runs . . . and these help support runs with the GTO and 645i runs I had.

These took place out of town, so I had luggage and stuff in the car.

The Jeep SRT was a friend of mine and he just got it . . . traded in a Jag XKR for it. Anyway, I asked if he would run for grins so I could see how close I could hang with him. Well to both our surprise it was a neck and neck run . . . both times from a 30 punch. He let me have the jump and only for a brief second when I shifted in to 3rd did he start to catch me, but once I got the RPMs back up it was dead even.

The next day I was behind an 05/06ish M5 that was horsing around and thought I'd see how bad he'd beat me. Well . . . once again it was better than I expected. Now this one was from just a bit below 50mph and I stayed with him until I shifted and he pulled a car length on me, but then it stayed close until we let up around 110mph.

Now before some of you freak over the M5 results, note that their times vary greatly - high 12s to low 14s - depending on how it's drivin. So I'm pretty sure that he wasn't getting the most out of it, but it's now 4 cars I've run over the past several weeks that run pretty close together and all were close. Since my last track times were in the mid 14s, and I expect that with all my recent mods I should be very low 14s and possibly high 13s . . . especially if I can get a decent launch. Even so, we all know we'd gain a couple of 10ths or more if we could launch, so on the street from a 30mph or 40-50mph punch a well modded TLS can hang with 13sec cars.

BTW - it's not running 100% right now and none of these runs were done with my Ram Air fully enabled . . .

Ruf

02 WDP TLS Black Interior w/ Black Grill Inserts & Cleared Headlights
**1/4mile 14.46 @96.07MPH (45-70mph test - 3.5 secs)
(**before headers, Hi-flow CAT, IMMs, Bored out Intake & TBs)
17x7 Konig Appeals SMF - P225/45ZR-17 Bridgestone RE960 AS
CT Icebox, Custom RamAir, CT Sways & Springs
3nd Gen Innovative Motor Mounts – Front & Side Only
Bored out Intake & TBs, Mugen Cooling Mods & Thermoblok
Ceramic Coated XS Headers & Random-Tech Hiflow CAT
NEO Anti Freeze & 5w-20 oil w/Militec-1
Tranny #3 Installed 11.17.2008
Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Are you serious, damn, you stayed a car length behind an M5? You sir, have a pretty fast TL there lol
Old 09-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Real Cars Have 3 Pedals

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RUF87
so on the street from a 30mph or 40-50mph punch a well modded TLS can hang with 13sec cars.
I can testify to that...I've raced & beatin' 3 diff. STI's on the Highway from a 30mph roll & ALL 3 run mid 13's at the track...

RACING on the TRACK vs STREET is 2 DIFF. things...

check out my TL-S vs G8 GT thread.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:28 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
I have no questions about the results...since RUF87 pretty much as the fastest NA 2g TL-S 5AT on this board! I wish my TL is as fast as yours!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
what are IMM's?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
F man, I want my 2G to be as fast as yours, one day. Do you still have the standard 5at or is it a mt now?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by phee
what are IMM's?
Innovative Motor Mounts . . . I only have the front and side IMM with OEM rear as IMM never resolved the vibration problems with the rear. Assuming that the new supplier can get all three to work out I plan on replacing all three mounts with theirs. That's an 'IF' as no one has so far.

The mounts made a difference on the take off and shifting. There's less parasitic power loss as more energy is transfered to the tires . . and more quickly as well. Also, there is a lot less wheel hop and the shifts are firmer . . . meaning you can actually feel the firmness of the shift as you shift up . . again . . more power getting to the wheels quicker.

So, not a power adder, but a power improver mod. My personal guess is that the IMMs give me at least a 10th maybe two 10ths in the quarter.

Ruf
Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by ineedmyfixofacura
F man, I want my 2G to be as fast as yours, one day. Do you still have the standard 5at or is it a mt now?
Still AT, but ask some of the DFW thread folks who've ridden with me . . . they swear if they didn't know I was auto they were riding in a MT. I literally shift it like it was a MT . . . up and down. The down part is key as I always try to maximize the powerband when I'm running someone. It's simply instant power verses waiting for the tranny to downshift. As for sport shift, it shifts too soon for me . . . I try to hit 6,900rpm exactly and sometimes the tach will read 7,000 when it shifts. (sometimes I get too excited and hit the dreaded rev limiter ) Anyway, as noted in the reply above . . the IMMs help you get more of your power to the wheels sooner, so maxing your shift points help keep you in the upper powerband more. It's really a lot of these little things that help me beat faster cars because they don't do more or none of them.

Another little trick is that I run a slightly thinner oil. I blend 5-20 with 0-20. In the summer I run 3 (5-20) to 2 (0-20) and in the winter I reverse it. The gain is minimal, but I'm after every little bit I can get. The gain comes from less parasitic HP loss . . . thinner oil produces less resistance . . . think of yourself as running through knee deep water and then a thicker knee deep gell . . your strength is the same, but it's harder to run in the thicker gell. It's no different for your engine internals slugging through thicker (old/dirty) oil vs thinner.

Note: I change my oil about every 4 months or 4k even though it's rated for 7,500 or even 10k miles. I also run a friction modifier called Militech . . it further reduces the viscosity and helps offset the risks of running a thinner oil. http://www.militec1.com/

The main power adder is on the intake and not exhaust. I ran 14.4s without headers and hiflow cat. All I really did was add cooling mods, CT Icebox with ramair and lite weight wheels and tires. Also, the first time at the track all I had was the lite weight wheels and tires with the blended oil and I ran 14.7s consistently . . and was beating other CLs/TLs that had CAI & headers . . .

Ruf
Old 09-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Innovative Motor Mounts . . . I only have the front and side IMM with OEM rear as IMM never resolved the vibration problems with the rear. Assuming that the new supplier can get all three to work out I plan on replacing all three mounts with theirs. That's an 'IF' as no one has so far.

The mounts made a difference on the take off and shifting. There's less parasitic power loss as more energy is transfered to the tires . . and more quickly as well. Also, there is a lot less wheel hop and the shifts are firmer . . . meaning you can actually feel the firmness of the shift as you shift up . . again . . more power getting to the wheels quicker.

So, not a power adder, but a power improver mod. My personal guess is that the IMMs give me at least a 10th maybe two 10ths in the quarter.

Ruf
Ummm..... Lets run'em if you hang with a JeepSRT and an M5 then we should be good...
Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Racer

I ran 14.4s without headers and hiflow cat. all I had was the lite weight wheels and tires with the blended oil and I ran 14.7s consistently . . and was beating other CLs/TLs that had CAI & headers . . .

Ruf
As many times that your running, what track are you running at? I didnt think we had any 1/4 mile tracks in the local area? Are you running enis?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
kinda hard to believe...but good kill!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by FastLS6speed
As many times that your running, what track are you running at? I didnt think we had any 1/4 mile tracks in the local area? Are you running enis?
I've been going to Ennis (Texas Motorplex) but have not gone in almost 2yrs . . . something or rain has come up each time I wanted to go . . . it's been mostly rain outs.

There is a new track in Crandall that just opened up a this year and some of the guys have gone there and like it. Especially since it's closer and easier to get to than Ennis. I'm wanting to go later this month or next, but will need to do some work on my car as it's not running right. I may have some suspension or axle damage for a major 'Dooh' moment. Hit a huge speed bump at almost 30mph and went airborne . . I also need to fix the acceleration problem when the ram-air is fully enabled. The sudden increase in the airflow (rush) is causing it to stumble in 1st gear at 6,000rpm. I've not had time to mess with it, but it doesn't happen without the ram-air or the previous configuration I used. Anyway, I'm really to go as I want to see what it'll do. I'll PM you when I know more, also . . where do you live? PM me and maybe we can hook up at a local area meet.

Oh, and yes . . . I'd love to run you and see how it stacks up to yours. As I noted in my posts . . . there are a lot of people that really don't know how to get the most out of their cars. It's why I say any car that's 1 second or so faster is fair game on the street . . . and a potential win for me

Ruf
Old 09-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
kinda hard to believe...but good kill!
I hear you . . it's why I stated the M5 was probably due to poor driver skills . . as for the Jeep SRT, we only did 30 an 45mph punches, so I don't know how it would have been from a dig . . . er . . . well . . I sort of can guess . . he'd probably take me 2-3 car lengths.

Ruf
Old 09-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Racer

I hear you . . it's why I stated the M5 was probably due to poor driver skills . . as for the Jeep SRT, we only did 30 an 45mph punches, so I don't know how it would have been from a dig . . . er . . . well . . I sort of can guess . . he'd probably take me 2-3 car lengths.

Ruf
Those Jeep SRT's are beasts from a dig! Hed prolly take me by about 2 or 3 cars too...
Old 09-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Those Jeep SRT's are beasts from a dig! Hed prolly take me by about 2 or 3 cars too...
I saw one run 13 flat at Concord
Old 09-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Lead Footed

. . . then maybe 4 lengths or more . . .

Ruf