Sponsored by:

I've wanted a TL forever and want mine to look like this (PICS) please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 05:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've wanted a TL forever and want mine to look like this (PICS) please help

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3806292/2004-acura-tl/

Hi guys! I've never owned an acura before and have ALWAYS wanted an Acura TL my whole life. I've always wanted a 2004/2005 Acura TL, and I just want a clean ride. I am gonna look for Craigslist on one (probably dealership). I really want a white one with tan leather only.

The guy's car in the link is something I'd want. Looks very clean. Few questions:
-What kind of headlights does he have?
-What kind of tail lights (they look custom)
-How did he get the Acura writing under his grill?
-It says he has an a spec oem aero kit. This is very hard to find. I've tried looking by google and had trouble. Is this kind of body kit hard to find?

You can call me a biter, but I think the car is clean as hell. I don't know much about cars, just how I'd like mine to look.

I also noticed this kit online and thought it was nice. is it overpriced? be honest, what do you think?

Sarona Acura TL Sarona Body Kit - AC-021-KT

I was ALSO looking at this, it's just an a spec front lip for a 2007-2009 TL. If I was to get a 2007 TL, it'd be more expensive so I'd have to think about it. But do you think it's nice? I like how the front looks.

Body Kit and Lip Kit Products

Any suggestions on good custom headlights or tail lights? Lips, bumpers, anything? I'm just looking for a clean ride. something that'll catch the eye, but isn't overdoing it.

Thank you for your time!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,691 Likes on 6,705 Posts
Welcum

Browse this subforum and you'll get a good idea of what people have done and what products you've used. It's your car you need to make the decisions and what you want it to look like and do the research here to help! Photograph Gallery - AcuraZine Community
Old 11-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Welcome to AcuraZine.

If you end up buying one, contact one of our vendors for the ASPEC lip kit. It will be OEM (from Honda) and cheaper.

AcuraZine Community - Vendor Directory

Do not buy the Sarona or the knock off kit from the other link you provided. The knock off kit will have to be painted and will not come with the proper hardware or so that is what I have read here on the forums.

We also have two vendors that mod headlights and tail lights as a service: JnC and Bruce from EndlessRPM. Their contact info should be in the link provided above.

Last edited by ggesq; 11-04-2015 at 07:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Cruisin'

Lmao forgot about the fact you need the license plate where the writing is. You can apparently get a decal ACURA Front Bumper Decal (2004-2008 TL) - EndLess RPM but idk where'd you put it cuz you need the license plate in the front you can't have it in the window.

So now I'm thinking a 2007 Is what I'll want. I could get the A spec front lip cuz i like that a lot. I wonder if that includes fog lights? Because if i pick one up from craigslist it may not have them..
Old 11-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Replied inline...

Originally Posted by auzie88
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3806292/2004-acura-tl/

Hi guys! I've never owned an acura before and have ALWAYS wanted an Acura TL my whole life. I've always wanted a 2004/2005 Acura TL, and I just want a clean ride. I am gonna look for Craigslist on one (probably dealership). I really want a white one with tan leather only.

The guy's car in the link is something I'd want. Looks very clean. Few questions:
-What kind of headlights does he have?They looks stock to me, but with amber fog light bulbs.
-What kind of tail lights (they look custom)Appears he took out or broke the diffusers so the LEDs show
-How did he get the Acura writing under his grill?Simple vinyl stickers
-It says he has an a spec oem aero kit. This is very hard to find. I've tried looking by google and had trouble. Is this kind of body kit hard to find?As mentioned above - get an OEM ASPEC

You can call me a biter, but I think the car is clean as hell. I don't know much about cars, just how I'd like mine to look.

I also noticed this kit online and thought it was nice. is it overpriced? be honest, what do you think?

Sarona Acura TL Sarona Body Kit - AC-021-KT

I was ALSO looking at this, it's just an a spec front lip for a 2007-2009 TL. If I was to get a 2007 TL, it'd be more expensive so I'd have to think about it. But do you think it's nice? I like how the front looks.

Body Kit and Lip Kit Products

Any suggestions on good custom headlights or tail lights? Lips, bumpers, anything? I'm just looking for a clean ride. something that'll catch the eye, but isn't overdoing it.

Thank you for your time!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the answers. I really wish you didn't need to have the license plate on the front, because I really like the whole "Acura" writing on the front, it looks cool. Is there a way to do it still with the license plate on there?

Also, if anyone reads this, can you tell me what you think about the 2004-2007 TLs? Is a 2007 TL that much of an upgrade from a 2004? Are there more aftermarket parts for the 2007 because it's newer?

I'm willing to spend more if the 2007 or 2006 is a better car.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Get a 2007 or 2008, they have many more features that the 2004-2006.
Type-S is a plus (blacked out headlights, trunk lip spoiler, different tail lights, bigger engine, tc)
Then get the A-Spec skirt kit from Acura for around 1,500$ installed.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Cruisin'

Are type s's considered girly? lol weird question i kno but i don't know much about cars so I'm just wondering.

I only want tan leather (just my preference). I'm looking at this type s 2007 and it looks amazing. the seats look a little bigger than the 2004s and i like that. 2007 Acura TL Type S Type-S SUPER NICE! LOADED! 143,274 MILES!

I thought the A spec kit OEM kit doesn't work with type S?
Old 11-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the answers. I really wish you didn't need to have the license plate on the front, because I really like the whole "Acura" writing on the front, it looks cool. Is there a way to do it still with the license plate on there?

Also, if anyone reads this, can you tell me what you think about the 2004-2007 TLs? Is a 2007 TL that much of an upgrade from a 2004? Are there more aftermarket parts for the 2007 because it's newer?

I'm willing to spend more if the 2007 or 2006 is a better car.
I wouldn't say the 07+ is better, but it has some subtle differences. Personally, I only like this car in a manual trans, so you'd have to get a Type-S to get a manual in 07+.

I prefer the look of the 04 - 06 front bumper with ASPEC lip vs the 07 Type-S or Aspec. The 07+ would use the round fog lights, and I like the Inspire fogs that many add to the 04+.

The only real thing that is useful at all that I can think of on an 07+ is the aux input, but that can be added to an 04.

There are some companies that sell a license plate bracket on ebay that goes into the tow hook location. I'm not a fan of front plates at all, but its better than right in the front. I think there are a couple of other companies that have different mounting locations as well.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Cruisin'

The car i linked here ->>>2007 Acura Tl Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L V6 5A) In Renton WA - Precision Motors LLC is automatic. I know acuras are "better" manual but honestly i don't know how to drive manual (yeah, i know..) so auto is fine with me.

This car is normally 18000 but is marked at 1300 right now. I am very tempted. It's hard to find a TL with a tan leather interior these days. I haven't found a white 2007 a spec or s type in the last few years when I've done random searches on Craigslist. Nor have I found any with white interiors.

I'm sorry, but what is the tow hook location? What would it look like?
Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

The tow hook location is a round plug in the front bumper. Not sure if this link will work, but here is one: JDM Bumper Tow Hook License Plate Mounting Bracket for Honda S2000 Fit Acura TL | eBay

Make no mistake on that car - that is a reasonable price - not marked down, unless they had it marked down from an astronomical price for a car with 140K.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Cruisin'

^Okay the link works i see what you mean. But don't you still need the license plate on the front? So it'd block the emblem? Sorry if i'm making no sense I'm terrible at anything related to car parts lol

So you're saying the type s I listed is a good deal? Yeah, that's a decent amount of miles, but I'm sure the TLs can run a lot of miles, I've heard they are the top 10 in terms of longest lasting cars.

I found this one for 10k but it has 169k miles and i don't like the rims. So probably a nono lol. Used Acura TL For Sale - CarGurus

Also, I don't really like the rims on the type s i listed (stock i believe), but they aren't something i'm cringing looking at.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't know the legality of using that mount for the plate. I would assume as long as it's somewhere on the front, you're ok, but in my state, we don't need them.

The first Type-S was an ok price - not great. It wasn't REALLY discounted 5K - it was overpriced before, and I'd say it was still a bit high.

If you go for one over 100K, make sure the timing belt has been done. If you plan on keeping for a long time, you may also look at seeing if shocks and mounts have been done - those are known to go before that high of mileage.

^Okay the link works i see what you mean. But don't you still need the license plate on the front? So it'd block the emblem? Sorry if i'm making no sense I'm terrible at anything related to car parts lol

So you're saying the type s I listed is a good deal? Yeah, that's a decent amount of miles, but I'm sure the TLs can run a lot of miles, I've heard they are the top 10 in terms of longest lasting cars.

I found this one for 10k but it has 169k miles and i don't like the rims. So probably a nono lol. Used Acura TL For Sale - CarGurus

Also, I don't really like the rims on the type s i listed (stock i believe), but they aren't something i'm cringing looking at.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Voodoo used to be an active member on here.

Headlights are stock.
Tail lights are Type-S tail lights with clear brake diffuser.
A-Spec kit
Tint
Slightly lowered

EDIT: his tail lights are stock with diffuser removed in the pictures, he got custom tails after on

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 11-04-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

How do you do a brake diffuser? Is it simple? I wouldn't be working on my car myself, I'm not a hands on person when it comes to cars I'm afraid.

And yeah, I'd probably like to lower my car a bit. Not crazy low though haha.

And if the tail lights are type s already, I guess I wouldn't need them if I was buying this type s.

The thing is, everywhere else I've looked in the last few hours in my area (Seattle) is more expensive. type s's are 15000-20000, so this is a really good deal and I'm really really considering checking it out.

I've always wanted a 2004-2005 tl, but i have to say the 2007 is nice. type s is cool, and i've never thought about buying it before, despite knowing about the extra features. i do not like how the tls look after year 2007. bleh. lol
Old 11-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I wouldn't be working on my car myself, I'm not a hands on person when it comes to cars I'm afraid.
Start practicing.

No one on here was born with magic talents to fix/mod cars. You just gotta dive in and try. You WILL screw up. But you will also learn and improve.

If you want to mod your car, paying someone else to do it is the last thing you want to do. Financially, it's not worth it, and being a used car, it likely will have some outstanding maintenance items which should be taken care of first. Save money where you can.
The following users liked this post:
1fstTL (11-20-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Cruisin'

yeah, the timing belt and water pumps will probably need fixing because of the mileage unless they prove they changed it beforehand.

Also, major noob question:

Is there a minimum downpayment you're required to make when buying a car? Or can you put 0 down payment and just do loans per month? I know there will be fees for checking credit and signing stuff or whatever. but I'm curious because I just started a new job which i KNOW will be stable and secure (it's a new restaurant within a very well known company in my city), so I only received my first paycheck last friday and it was definitely not a full one.

If you haven't figured out yet, this will be my first car purchase. I have had my parents buy my previous car because of their credit I decided to just give them the money and do it. I may have my dad tag along if i decide to do this, but chances are I'll do it myself.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

1. If the car is too old, the bank won't give you a loan for it. There's a good chance you won't get a loan for a 10 year old car.

2. The bank likely won't give you a loan based on your length of employment, since you just started. You have to be working steady at that place for a bit of time before they'll give you the cash.

3. You may really like the TL, but it seems like not the best choice for you right now. It's not really a great idea to go into debt for a 10 year old car, especially at your age. If I were you, I'd get something smaller and newer. Actually, if I were you, I'd just get any old beater and drive it until it dies. Not knowing how to do basic maintenance on the TL will eat your money in a jiffy.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Cruisin'

Good points.

It's possible my parents will give me a loan (because they know I'll pay them back), plus the place accepts trade ins so I may not even need much (my car is worth 3,000 even in "Good" condition on KBB, which i know isn't likely to get that much) downpayment wise. I don't think my credit is negative, but I may have my parents co sign if i go that route since I know their credit is top notch.

Is maintenance for an Acura that much? I heard it's pretty cheap in general. I know people that could work on my car that are Honda and Acura freaks, and chances are I could get someone to help me out because my friend used to work at an acura dealership and she knos a decent amount about them. I would do monthly basic checkups and stuff and if i needed to the whole timing belt/water pump.

The reason I want this car so much right now is the price. Even if it's never been whatever the price they said it was marked down (if you look on the website you'll see it "was" 18000), it's still at least 3-4k cheaper than anywhere i can find (craigslist, ebay, local car places here in seattle). It's a dealership, so it'll accept trade ins which is nice and why I wanna do it at a dealership rather than private party.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Cruisin'

Also, sorry for the double post, but I'd like to add i am living at home right now. So I really don't have much to worry about in terms of bills (no rent).

My paychecks will be 1,000 each 2 weeks, maybe 950 at the very least with taxes taken out. So it shouldn't take longer than a year to pay, let alone 6 months. Plus I'll be getting a good tax return.

*sighs*
Old 11-04-2015, 02:32 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good points.

It's possible my parents will give me a loan (because they know I'll pay them back), plus the place accepts trade ins so I may not even need much (my car is worth 3,000 even in "Good" condition on KBB, which i know isn't likely to get that much) downpayment wise. I don't think my credit is negative, but I may have my parents co sign if i go that route since I know their credit is top notch.

Is maintenance for an Acura that much? I heard it's pretty cheap in general. I know people that could work on my car that are Honda and Acura freaks, and chances are I could get someone to help me out because my friend used to work at an acura dealership and she knos a decent amount about them. I would do monthly basic checkups and stuff and if i needed to the whole timing belt/water pump.

The reason I want this car so much right now is the price. Even if it's never been whatever the price they said it was marked down (if you look on the website you'll see it "was" 18000), it's still at least 3-4k cheaper than anywhere i can find (craigslist, ebay, local car places here in seattle). It's a dealership, so it'll accept trade ins which is nice and why I wanna do it at a dealership rather than private party.
If you're interested in financing (which might be a good idea to build your credit history and you know you will be able to pay the car off while also being able to maintain your current living expenses), you may be able to get a decent loan through Pentagon Federal Credit Union. That's where I went to get my loan for a 2005 3G. The APR was quite low (1.99% for 36 months) and they did not require a down. However, they did check to make sure my loan amount was not 10% over the NADA value of my 3G TL (that is, my loan request was not greater than 110% of the car's value), which I actually got from an acurazine member here. While I could afford to buy the car outright, the APR was great, my credit score was high enough that I decided to use the loan to improve my credit some more since I don't have any long term loans on record.

PenFed also doesn't have a pre-payment penalty, which is great in case I decide I don't want to carry a loan on the car anymore and simply pay it off.

Do remember that if you get a loan, you will be required to have full coverage insurance on the car, which will definitely bump your monthly costs if you only have liability currently.

If you're having trouble finding a well-maintained and clean 3G, I would recommend just simply waiting... I did travel quite far to get mine (flew from NC to NY and drove it down on a weekend), but mine had all the major maintenance done fairly recently, like timing belt, water pump, new clutch, so it was worth it to me.

I wouldn't recommend doing expensive modifications on a car you still have a loan on. That money should be put towards basic maintenance and paying that loan off ASAP. You don't want to put money into a car that the bank could repo if something unfortunate were to happen to cut your income off.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Cruisin'

^Thank you. Not exactly sure what I'm gonna do yet. I want the car, but it's true it may not be the right time.

And yeah, modifications wouldn't happen if i Bought the car and was making monthly payments.

Thanks for your input. I'll let you guys know what happens!!!
Old 11-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The TL was always my dream car as well, and last summer I was able to get a 2008 Acura TL (Base but I liked base). Yes, the TL wasn't exactly the cheapest car, especially considering that I am currently in college, and paying for the car myself, however, after discussing it with my family, we figured that financing it would help me build credit.

In regards to repairs, the TL in the year that I've had it has been amazing. Oil changes are something that you can learn yourself so that saves about $30 for each oil change. In addition, there are so many things that you can learn to do yourself. Through owning the car, I've only had one major issue, and that was in the winter when the car slipped into a pole due to horrible tires, but other than that, I only had oil maintenance and an issue with the accelerator sensor, which wasn't too much either.

Like cassull said, make sure you wait for a clean, well-maintained 3G. It'll put your mind at ease knowing that the car will have little to no surprises. Also, like cassull said, I wouldn't recommend doing expensive modifications on the car in general until you're sure that you can afford it. I've always wanted to do some modifications, but honestly, I can live without them right now and it doesn't bother me. It's whatever works for your situation to be honest.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:25 AM
Cruisin'

Wasn't the first Acura 3.2 TL the first car to have a gps/navi system in it? I swear it was, I was really into cars when I was younger and remember seeing it in a magazine. I could be completely wrong. But I've always wanted a TL.

There's so many other cars out there (Was looking at a 2009 Lincoln MKS at a fair and i loved it), but the TL has always been a dream car for me, and always will. It's a car I have to get if i switch.

I'll admit, I've never liked Hondas, and for the LONGEST time i had no idea acura was basically owned by honda or whatever. I prefer luxury over sport, never been into racing or anything.

Honestly, about my whole situation, it's probably a better idea for me to get a 2004-2006 TL since it's cheaper. But after reading about how many more features and "reliability" the type S has, I'm inclined to get it. Not to mention the black Type S that i mentioned was love at first sight when i was randomly searching craigslist.

I'm picky though....if i get a 2007 type s it WILL have to have tan leather. I think the black/gray leather looks good, but I love tan leather seats. i've never liked black leather. I've always wanted a white TL, but now I'm in love with the black one. the white leather contrasts very nicely with the black color of the car i think. I'm in love, and don't think I'll ever change my mind now :P

TLDR, I think i'm just gonna keep saving for several months into early next year and really start hunting. If i find a Type S like the one i listed, I will probably bite, even if it means making payments. I'm trying to take advantage of the fact I'm still living at home (although my own place is obviously high up on my list).

Rest assured I'll post here when that GLORIOUS day comes Thanks to all that posted here. I'll still be lurking around here though and welcome any replies or advice.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Instructor

1- That car is not worth 13,000. , let alone $18k. Marketing ploy, Amd a really bad one at that.

2- Life plans before 'nice' car purchase. Figure out what you're going to do and get out of your parents house. Then car.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:39 AM
Cruisin'

^Please explain why it's not worth it. Mileage?

I'm not gonna go for it, I'm gonna save, but then what would a reasonable price (with mileage) for a 2007 type s?
Old 11-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

Whatever the market dictates

You gotta shop around your region to see what it's worth.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Instructor

^Please explain why it's not worth it. Mileage?

I'm not gonna go for it, I'm gonna save, but then what would a reasonable price (with mileage) for a 2007 type s?

Yeah, I would say mileage. It has close to 150k on it, which is not a death sentence for Acura/Honda Engines as everyone knows, but 13k is a lot to be paying for it with that many miles. Not sure where you're at, but around NC, you can get a TL-S for around 13-15k with less than 100k miles.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:14 AM
Cruisin'

What would you say the average type s (with checkups and maintenance) would last max (miles)?
Old 11-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
What would you say the average type s (with checkups and maintenance) would last max (miles)?
Max miles? You'll get tired of the car prior to "max miles". There's many +200K miles TL/Type-S, and usually the interior and body will start looking rough before the car is even close to dying.