Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ISO Tint Pics - Esp sm rear windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ISO Tint Pics - Esp sm rear windows

Can someone please send me pics of a great tint, esp. a closeup of the small back windows? I'm having difficulty getting the dealership to do a good job on the tint... it's been sent back 3 times now -

1) two deep scratches in the middle of the rear passenger window and bubbles that would not come out, plus tint lopped off short in the corners

2) "limo" dark tint on the back windows (that was weird!!)

3) tint "slid" when applied so I could see daylight through the edge of one window from midpoint to the top of rear passenger window; huge bubbles; corner cut short on the top of passenger window (the service rep said that was the tint guy's "signature" - can you even believe that one?!?)

I'm about to give up and ask for my $200 back so I can find a professional to do this job... before I do, I really want to see what it "should" look like - esp. in the back. The kid made no attempt to get the tint even close to, much less underneath the rubber gasket on those back windows; I guess I need to know if it is even possible to do that before I complain about it ~

Appreciate your help - and yes, I know I'm an idiot for getting the tint done there... but honestly, who knew it could ever be this bad...
Old 05-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
It seems that people here are about 50/50 when it comes to getting the rear quarter window properly tinted. They should (and can) tint the whole window...it just takes a little time and effort. Do a search for "tint" and/or "rear quarter window"..."tint" will net a lot of threads, but lots of info if you sift through the "what kind of tint should I get" $hit. One of the threads had a link to a tinters forum where they discussed how to tint the quarter windows properly.

Oh, and the cut corner was his "signature"...he's not Van Gogh, he doesn't need to leave a signature (and I sure as hell wouldn't want one). I would seriously consider getting my money back and finding a professional on your own...whoever the dealership uses is a joke (and that the dealership would accept such garbage from them and try to pass it off to a customer is amazing to me).
Old 05-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Thanks much... I should've done my homework on this one; it's probably too late now... am stuck with the rear quarter window tint cut at the gasket... not a cool look at all.

The car is 'ready' again - wish me luck~ I guess if I just can't live with it I could pay someone else to rip it all off and start over... what's another $200-300, right?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

chill_dog, do you know how they tint the rear quarter windows properly? Do they just slide the tint under or do they take off the rubber seals and then tint it?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Advanced

May I ask why you're having the dealership do the tint? It would be obvious that dealerships are good at selling and servicing their brand of cars, but when it comes to aftermarket stuff like tinting I would seek out a local company that focuses entirely on tinting or whatnot.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Intermediate

I've had experiences with "lifetime replacement warranties" from companies that go under 1-2 years later... I figured the warranty would be more likely to be honored if the tint came from the dealer. I am a researcher by profession, but this time I didn't do my homework and am embarrassed to tell you that I didn't realize there were so many choices/pitfalls involved with tint on the TL until I found this group... by then, I was 3 bad tints in and it was too late to do anything about it.

Now I'm wondering what was done re: rubber strip/moleskin as I don't know what the rubber strip is supposed to look like inside the door pre-tint, and I can't roll down my windows for 3-5 days. I see a strip of sorts on the outside of the window, but on the inside if there is any strip at all, it is much farther down... I just can't tell...

The tint, I think, is ok (Madico Charcool) and is the darkest legal with all windows the same shade, as I requested (35% all around) but it was a real hassle getting it right. At least the dealer is guaranteeing the parts and labor on the tint for as long as I own the car. I requested and obtained this warranty in writing. That's a good thing, as I put very few miles on my vehicles and owned my last car for 12 years... :wink:
Old 05-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DrMar

i don't know where you are located at, but i had the same problem w/ the rear quarter windows on my TL. I took the car back to the tinter and he said he will charge me extra for having to take the glass off to tint the rear quarter windows properly. He's basically refusing to do it. He offered me my money back for those 2 windows if I want to take it elsewhere to have them retinted. I did end up getting them retinted at another local shop. He just carefully slid the tint between the rubber seal and the glass. So this weekend, i'm going back to the original tinter and get my money back and basically flip him off afterwards.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Ask and you shall receive:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=11

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=31

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Advanced

Here's pics of my 20% tint job that I had a local import shop do. imho I think they did a superb job but that's just me. Hopefully you can tell something from these pics:

Old 05-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

That does look superb! Looks like they've added felt too. Kuddos to your tint place.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Advanced

eheh. I live in an area with mad Asian peeps and they've got a few import shops that do aftermarket stuff. All they do all day is tweak out their honda civics and acura integras eheh. But they know their trade and I trust their advice and workmanship.

Originally Posted by datmrman
That does look superb! Looks like they've added felt too. Kuddos to your tint place.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by whatjones911
chill_dog, do you know how they tint the rear quarter windows properly? Do they just slide the tint under or do they take off the rubber seals and then tint it?
My tinter did not take off the rubber seals. They just took their time to slide it under there. There is a small gap, but very very small.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I had to go out and look at mine .. the tint is perfect on the rear quarters as with all the other windows .. maybe the tinter is just inexperienced.

I have used this same company for about 10 cars and never an issue with poor coverage or bubbles etc.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:11 AM
Advanced

Element2001, can I ask which tint shop (name, place, telephone #) you had your car done at?

Originally Posted by Element2001
eheh. I live in an area with mad Asian peeps and they've got a few import shops that do aftermarket stuff. All they do all day is tweak out their honda civics and acura integras eheh. But they know their trade and I trust their advice and workmanship.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:20 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by datmrman
Does your tint job affect the navi at all? I have heard bad things about tints and navis. What's the right thing?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:49 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Element2001
Here's pics of my 20% tint job that I had a local import shop do. imho I think they did a superb job but that's just me. Hopefully you can tell something from these pics:
I can tell you need to tie your shoes!
Old 05-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Safety Car

My tint film is Solar Gard NR which is non metallic. No problems with navigation here.

Most people are staying safe and going with non metallic or ceramic film when they have navigation.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:28 PM
FOR SALE - BM

here ya go.. i put 35% all around it looks good. i made sure that they were able to tuck the tint under the strip... they also said to me that they were putting on the tint a special way and that they knew about the scratched that the TL caused.... but unfortunately, it has light scratches that can be seen when light hits it a certain way..
Old 05-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Advanced

Hey drdamina, your tint looks really good. What kind of tint are you using, and can you post more pics of the the whole car so I can see how it looks from afar? Thanks!

QUOTE=drdamian]here ya go.. i put 35% all around it looks good. i made sure that they were able to tuck the tint under the strip... they also said to me that they were putting on the tint a special way and that they knew about the scratched that the TL caused.... but unfortunately, it has light scratches that can be seen when light hits it a certain way..
Old 05-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 06TLASM
Element2001, can I ask which tint shop (name, place, telephone #) you had your car done at?
My tint shop is called "Street Scenes Tint". It is located in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota and the phone number is (763) 566-0888. I had them tint my old car (Hyundai Tiburon GT) at 35% and they did a kickass job so I went back to them for my TL.

eheh yeah I just tossed on my unlaced Lugz and went out to grab some quick shots of the tint. Speaking of pics, I'm getting my 20's on this Saturday...it's gonna be the shiznit. Self-indulgent plug thread w/ pics on the second page:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/replacing-bose-system-135224/

Here's a pic of my old Hyundai I had tinted by Street Scenes:

Old 05-24-2006, 11:15 PM
FOR SALE - BM

i think it was solar gaurd... i went to a "Car Pretty" here in northeast philadelphia..

Old 05-25-2006, 01:58 PM
VS#03

Yeah.....It's done perfect, they remove the quarter window to install the tint. Checkout this website in NY (lorenzotint.com).