3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the intern on my team keeps asking to test drive my TL..what shud i do??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the intern on my team keeps asking to test drive my TL..what shud i do??

So here is the scenario. The intern on my team, knowing that I drive a TL, which i still consider pretty new (bought in March 06), has asked many times directly and indirectly to drive my car. I don't really want to because my feeling is that you never know what is going to happen (scratches dents etc), and if anything does happen, things are going to look ugly and I dont want to deal with that. I feel like I am being cheap if I don't let him drive, but quite frankly if it was my parents or my older brother, I'd have no problem at all and I don't know why.

So..this being said...how do I say no to the intern w/o being mean? Or is there something I can do to kill his desire to drive my TL?

oh yeah, fyi the intern is abt 1-2 yrs younger than me
Old 08-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Just tell him you don't let people test drive your wife (or girlfriend), so why would you let someone test drive your car?

Seriously (and I was serious above), it's YOUR car and YOU are in command of ANYTHING that has to do with it. You should NEVER feel, or be made to feel, uncomfortable, cheap, unfriendly, or anal concerning the manner in which you may act, treat, or feel about ANY property you own. If someone EVER tries to do this to you, cut them off abruptly and set them straight early on. YOU have the right.. they don't.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Advanced

^^^^What he said

I would only let real close friends drive my car. When I get my TL I have one friend that I know will be driving it as He let me drive his s2k many times.

But its up to you and how much you trust or don't trust him.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Racer

Personally, I don't let anybody drive MY car, other than my wife(and I don't really like letting her, but what am I going to do?)
Old 08-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Racer

i let all the people i know drive my car, especially when your crunk you need someone else to drive your car
Old 08-23-2006, 05:44 PM
CL Expert

Exclamation

Do yourself AND this intern a favor and help help him schedule an appointment at the local ACURA dealer. There, he can test drive, purchase, or whatever he wants with absolutely no risk to you.

Better yet, just flat out tell him no. You owe him nothing. Your TL is not a toy for him to play with. If it's a toy, it's your toy not his. Can he pay for it if he breaks it? The only thing worse than wrecking your car is having someone else wreck your car for you.

You should have nipped this in the bud when he first hinted at the idea.

My rule of thumb... I keep MY keys in My pocket. Don't want anyone elses either.

Just out of curiosity, what does he drive?
Old 08-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Intermediate

don't let a lowly intern rule your life!!! squash him down, beat down his will, turn him into but an empty shell of his former self.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:46 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Very simple reply- Don't do it!
Your car insurance carrier may not cover any accident by someone driving your car not insured to do so.

You can only be taken advantage of if you allow it.
Tell your intern your insurance doesn't cover anyone else driving your car.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:46 PM
'06 6MT WDP

Grow a set. If any of the interns or coops in my company even thought about asking that I would tell them I guess they don't want a permanent position here very much.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:48 PM
信是寶

Originally Posted by jimmyl729
So here is the scenario. The intern on my team, knowing that I drive a TL, which i still consider pretty new (bought in March 06), has asked many times directly and indirectly to drive my car. I don't really want to because my feeling is that you never know what is going to happen (scratches dents etc), and if anything does happen, things are going to look ugly and I dont want to deal with that. I feel like I am being cheap if I don't let him drive, but quite frankly if it was my parents or my older brother, I'd have no problem at all and I don't know why.

So..this being said...how do I say no to the intern w/o being mean? Or is there something I can do to kill his desire to drive my TL?

oh yeah, fyi the intern is abt 1-2 yrs younger than me
If I am sitting next to them, what the hell - as long as they can drive stick! Besides, I liked it when a friend let me drive her 911 on the Autobahn. ;-)

If you are there they won't do anything stupid. Having said that, I still don't let people on my Harley!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Instructor

the intern sits next to me. i wouldn't go as far as bashing him down, afterall he works for our team and creating hostlie environment would be the last thing...

i think you're right, i should just say no if i am feeling against it, i think ima go for the "my insurance doesn't cover other drivers"...

he drives a grand prix..like in the 90's, which he got for less than $3,000 i believe.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Racer

Pretty gutsy to keep asking someone to drive their new car...ask him if you can throw a party for 100 people in his apartment or house for a couple of weekends first...and get him to buy the beer. Then you'd think about it.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
tell him that you only drive the car, you don't let ur wife ( or girlfriend) drive it. Also tell him that if anything happens other drivers aren't covered. But tell him he can test drive one a an acura dealership and give him the name of ur salesperson. (if u want to)
Old 08-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

A friend of mine who works at a shipyard let his co-worker (a temp worker they were thinking of hiring) drive his truck. When he got to the dockside, while unloading some stuff from the back, he dropped the keys down a drainage grate. The grate was about 20ft x 2ft so lifting it was out of the question. It was about 5-6 ft down.

I was able to hook his keys using a long pole with a wire tie for a loop at the end, but not before the tide came up! His alarm remote (Viper 2 way with the LCD display) got soaked in sea water and never worked again. The guy said he would buy a replacement remote, but never did.

Needless to say, that temp worker no longer works there.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Say no.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:59 PM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

be a man say no sorry i only drive it. The Acura dealer will let you test drive it.
simple.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I would say, don't give him ANY excuses they lead to others issues. If you told him no because your insurance wouldn't allow it, then he could say that HIS insurance would cover him to drive it.

Just tell him no that's your car and only you drive it.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by erdoc48
Very simple reply- Don't do it!
Your car insurance carrier may not cover any accident by someone driving your car not insured to do so.

You can only be taken advantage of if you allow it.
Tell your intern your insurance doesn't cover anyone else driving your car.

Your insurance company will not look kindly on that. If anything happens when he's driving, you're screwed.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by imrantl
i let all the people i know drive my car, especially when your crunk you need someone else to drive your car
Several people who wanted to drive my car got their wishes when I was ass-wasted and needed somebody to drive the car home.

Otherwise, only my family members and few very close friends get to drive my car.

I would tell the intern to fuck off. Additionally, what the hell, he's an intern. Where does he get the balls to ask a full time employee/superior if he could drive his car? If I were you, I would fire his ass, and make a note in his file not eligible for rehire due to reason of insubordination and wanting to drive my TL.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 PM
04 NBP 6MT

Just say no.

I let a friend test drive my TL - he had a manual Integra, so I figured it was all good - he stalled like 20 times. I'm not kidding, I was starting to worry the battery would give out from all the times he had to restart the car.

Now no one drives my TL. If I'm drunk, I leave it there, cab home, and collect it the next day.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
just tell him no?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Undercover Slacker

Originally Posted by Glenn Davis
Do yourself AND this intern a favor and help help him schedule an appointment at the local ACURA dealer. There, he can test drive, purchase, or whatever he wants with absolutely no risk to you.
i agree... my friend wanted to drive my car, i told him im not a dealership, go there to test drive cars you dont own.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:11 PM
CL Expert

Question

Originally Posted by jimmyl729
the intern sits next to me. i wouldn't go as far as bashing him down, afterall he works for our team and creating hostlie environment would be the last thing...

i think you're right, i should just say no if i am feeling against it, i think ima go for the "my insurance doesn't cover other drivers"...

he drives a grand prix..like in the 90's, which he got for less than $3,000 i believe.
I guess the bigger issue here is, why do you feel such a strong urge to please and satisfy this individual? My father is a genuine "People Pleaser". For years, I have seen him hurt/used/disappointed by people because of this.
Really ask yourself why it's so hard to just tell this person no....
Is it because you wanna be liked?
Afraid to be disliked?
Maybe you like the attention?

It's not about the intern anymore, it's about you...
I really do suggest that you tell him no. And stand firm behind that.
Don't give a reason. Don't make any excuses. Don't beat around the bush.
Next time he asks you. You should tell him No and ask him not to bring up that subject again.

Not trying to sound condescending or anything, but I think it'd be good for you to learn how to stand up for yourself a bit better. I could be wrong, and forgive me if I am, but it sounds as if you too often put your feelings/concerns to the side for those of someone else. You gotta start speaking up for YOU. And this intern is the PERFECT place to start

Let me get out of here before I start to sound like that qwack Dr. Phil...

But think about it.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:15 PM
CL Expert

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I would say, don't give him ANY excuses they lead to others issues. If you told him no because your insurance wouldn't allow it, then he could say that HIS insurance would cover him to drive it.

Exactly!
Old 08-23-2006, 08:58 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ummmm go to the dealer!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Instructor

just say NO
Old 08-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
*cough* man lessons *cough*

People have asked me whether they could drive my TL. I routinely say no and move on. I don't care whether or not they are upset about it, it's my car and I don't even let my wife drive it.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:23 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
A co-worker of mine jokes by asking when could he drive my car and I told him never. The only person who has driven my car was my best friend since he had let me test drive his Volvo V70R that's been modded.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jupitersolo

Amen.

You owe no excuses or explanations to anyone when it comes to your property. You are getting some good advice on this thread, but the bottom line is simply, it's your car and your decision, and cars don't heal. And there ain't no one else who will care for your car and drive it as you do.. guaranteed.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Advanced

An intern would should feel lucky if I even let them ride in my TL. Tell him to quit thinking about driving your car, focus on being an intern, and then he can buy his own TL (or something better) in a year or two.

Unless he is your friend outside of work he has a lot of balls even asking to drive your ride. Then again, it doesnt sound like you put up much of a fight, so stop being a puss and tell him how it is.

If you have any slight question about something than assert yourself!

Sorry, just think this thread is pointless...he might as well ask to test drive your gf/wife. Man up!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Tell him no, you don't have to beat around the bush, just flat out say no.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tdawgy808
An intern would should feel lucky if I even let them ride in my TL. Tell him to quit thinking about driving your car, focus on being an intern, and then he can buy his own TL (or something better) in a year or two.

Unless he is your friend outside of work he has a lot of balls even asking to drive your ride. Then again, it doesnt sound like you put up much of a fight, so stop being a puss and tell him how it is.

If you have any slight question about something than assert yourself!

Sorry, just think this thread is pointless...he might as well ask to test drive your gf/wife. Man up!

I second that all the way
Old 08-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Racer

i agree with the majority of the responses.

the ONLY time i'll let somebody drive my car is if they themselves have a car i wanna drive. the only people that have driven my car own a modded 323 and an M3. so yea, basic principle, "your gas for mine"
Old 08-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The answer is NO. Ask him to put the insurance dedutable in your hand (cash)while he drives. At least you'll have that if you cant stand up to him and say NO in the first place.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Like everyone else said, just tell him no.

He can go to any Acura dealership and take a spin if he wants.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Like everyone's answer, Capital One "NO" Tell the guy to make his way to an Acura dealer.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Racer

Here are a couple of thoughts:

1. Say "No" because your insurance doesn't cover anyone under the age of 25.
2. Say "No" and tell the intern to get you some coffee and make some copies.
3. Say "No" because you don't want to mess-up the butt prints that you've established in the driver's seat. They are custom to your butt only.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Once again. You owe nobody any explanations of any kind whatsoever. Doesn't matter if the person is an intern, a co-worker, a friend, or a family member. IT'S YOUR PROPERTY!

I've had a few neighbors ask to use my Ranger pickup for hauling some things. Did I let them? Hell no. It's my truck. I helped them, but I drove. And I certainly didn't feel as though I needed to explain my acts about MY property.

A simple, direct, and firm "no" is all that is needed.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LOL
Old 08-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
i say beat the intern up for even thinkin about wanting to drive your baby.....no one drives mine except pops....

Quick Reply: the intern on my team keeps asking to test drive my TL..what shud i do??