Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting call from Dealer: "We want to buy your TL"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:24 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting call from Dealer: "We want to buy your TL"

The customer service manager from my dealership gave me a ring yesterday and stated they need used TL's for their inventory and he'd like to buy my car. This sounded very odd until he finally delivered the punch-line: "We can also offer you $6K off the purchase of an '08 TL".

So, it turned out to be a sales call but it could really be a great deal. My 06 5AT w/ Navi is about to crest 40K miles. It needs tires and I can expect brakes and shocks within a year. I owe less than it's worth and it was also recently in an accident - side impact totalling about $14K in damage. Would I have to disclose this to the dealer?

I'm sure Acura is suffering along with the rest of the auto industry for sales and if they can buy my TL for at least what I owe and give me an '08 w/ Navi for the same payments I make now, that's a win-win situation in my book. *Oh, asked about the TL-S just for the fun of it and he said there are only 10 in FL-AL area and they are considered extremely rare since no longer in production.

Guess I'm looking for a sanity check on the matter. Getting a brand new car for the exact same payment I have now sounds to good to be true. I'm scheduled to chat with him during my next service visit.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
If you actually search, there is a thread like this every 2 weeks.. It's a gimmick for the dealership to make money and get rid of the 08s.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are interested in buying a '08, it could be a good time to buy. Just don't fall into the trap of telling them you want your payment to be the same. Work up some figures on the trade in and the purchase price of the new car. Then go ahead and figure out what the payment should be based on current interest rates. Dealers tend to make a killing when you walk in asking for a certain payment.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by NedShneebly
The customer service manager from my dealership gave me a ring yesterday and stated they need used TL's for their inventory and he'd like to buy my car. This sounded very odd until he finally delivered the punch-line: "We can also offer you $6K off the purchase of an '08 TL".

So, it turned out to be a sales call but it could really be a great deal. My 06 5AT w/ Navi is about to crest 40K miles. It needs tires and I can expect brakes and shocks within a year. I owe less than it's worth and it was also recently in an accident - side impact totalling about $14K in damage. Would I have to disclose this to the dealer?

I'm sure Acura is suffering along with the rest of the auto industry for sales and if they can buy my TL for at least what I owe and give me an '08 w/ Navi for the same payments I make now, that's a win-win situation in my book. *Oh, asked about the TL-S just for the fun of it and he said there are only 10 in FL-AL area and they are considered extremely rare since no longer in production.

Guess I'm looking for a sanity check on the matter. Getting a brand new car for the exact same payment I have now sounds to good to be true. I'm scheduled to chat with him during my next service visit.
i got that same call, but when i went in they werent willing to make a decent deal. i guess they're not too desperate
Old 09-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Racer

Got the same call only problem is they are trying to sell me the TL-S Auto by telling me no Manuals are left but i found 5 and now were working that out.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:57 AM
practicing nihilist

so, never having traded a car in, do you think they'll stick me on needing tires and little rock chips and stuff?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Racer

so, never having traded a car in, do you think they'll stick me on needing tires and little rock chips and stuff?
Absolutely...dealerships stick you on any and all things possible.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Racer

They may bring that stuff up when you are negotiating a deal, but they will just adjust the price they are willing to give you.

Come in with all your details ready. Do an edmunds.com and kbb.com on your car. Assume they will give you something near the trade in value for an average condition car. Run an edmunds.com on the new car purchase and look at the TMV (true market value) for your zip code. This is supposed to be close to what people are paying. You should also look on Acurazine to see what people are paying.

For a TL-S, expect to pay close to $3,500 under dealer invoice if you don't go with the cheap Honda financing. If you go with the .9%, you will be able to get the car for $1,000 under invoice. If they give you a smoking deal on the car, don't expect to get a smoking deal on the trade in. The dealer will plan to make money somewhere.

Depending on your state's rules, trading in the car can reduce the tax you pay by the amount of the trade in. That means you would only pay taxes on the difference between the negotiated purchase price and the trade in value. (EX: $34K purchase minus $22K trade in = taxes paid on $12K difference)

Beyond that, NEVER tell them what you want your payment to be. Just negotiate the deal based on purchase price and trade in. Once you have an actual loan amount, calculate the payment. If you have a smart phone or Palm, download a basic loan calculator online. You can then calculate your own payment amount so you don't have to "trust" the finance manager.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:27 PM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by carguyrob
They may bring that stuff up when you are negotiating a deal, but they will just adjust the price they are willing to give you.

Come in with all your details ready. Do an edmunds.com and kbb.com on your car. Assume they will give you something near the trade in value for an average condition car. Run an edmunds.com on the new car purchase and look at the TMV (true market value) for your zip code. This is supposed to be close to what people are paying. You should also look on Acurazine to see what people are paying.

For a TL-S, expect to pay close to $3,500 under dealer invoice if you don't go with the cheap Honda financing. If you go with the .9%, you will be able to get the car for $1,000 under invoice. If they give you a smoking deal on the car, don't expect to get a smoking deal on the trade in. The dealer will plan to make money somewhere.

Depending on your state's rules, trading in the car can reduce the tax you pay by the amount of the trade in. That means you would only pay taxes on the difference between the negotiated purchase price and the trade in value. (EX: $34K purchase minus $22K trade in = taxes paid on $12K difference)

Beyond that, NEVER tell them what you want your payment to be. Just negotiate the deal based on purchase price and trade in. Once you have an actual loan amount, calculate the payment. If you have a smart phone or Palm, download a basic loan calculator online. You can then calculate your own payment amount so you don't have to "trust" the finance manager.

Good luck!
Carguyrob,

You must have been in the industry or just don't like getting taken by the man. Either way, appreciate the input.

So, just toying with the idea of upgrading the family car instead. What do you think the odds of me getting a slightly used 07 MDX for around $30K? I would think the SUV market is hurting really bad but I don't see any deals on MDX's on their homepage.

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here is a good article, take time and read it and it will help you understand a little about how bad they can be!

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...8/article.html
Old 09-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
So, just toying with the idea of upgrading the family car instead. What do you think the odds of me getting a slightly used 07 MDX for around $30K? I would think the SUV market is hurting really bad but I don't see any deals on MDX's on their homepage.

Thanks again.
There's no way you're getting an 07 MDX for 30k. Unless it's the base model, and then it's not worth the trade. 07 w/Tech package will start at around 37k. Anything lower will probably have high mileage and/or will be beat up a little. You should take a ride to the Acura dealer and see what your options are.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Racer

Carguyrob,

You must have been in the industry or just don't like getting taken by the man. Either way, appreciate the input.

Thanks again.
I am glad my suggestions are helpful. I actually have never worked in the auto industry, but have read a lot about auto negotiations and have helped a lot of friends/family members get fair deals.

I also don't really think you will get a '07 MDX in "slightly used" fashion for around $30K. You might find one with high miles (30-50K) for that price, but not one with normal use.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by carguyrob
If you have a smart phone or Palm, download a basic loan calculator online. You can then calculate your own payment amount so you don't have to "trust" the finance manager.

Good luck!
I did EXACTLY that when buying the wife's MDX. Great Input Rob.

Good Luck with the (potential) purchase Ned
Old 09-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
if you are happy with yours and it runs good, i would just keep it. i am not a fan of the base 08's at all.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:42 AM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by blkaspec
if you are happy with yours and it runs good, i would just keep it. i am not a fan of the base 08's at all.
I really do like my WDP. Would like a manual but there are some subtle and not so subtle exterior features that I don't dig on the base 08's. He told me they have one TL-S. That's about the only deal I'm going to pursue as of now. I can get greedy because I still get to drive the car I love home.

By the way, Carguyrob, I used a service called Fighting Chance before I bought my TL around Christmas '05. I didn't feel so bad telling them "no" and "remove that fee" when I learned about how dealers really make their money (quotas/incentives).
Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Racer

By the way, Carguyrob, I used a service called Fighting Chance before I bought my TL around Christmas '05. I didn't feel so bad telling them "no" and "remove that fee" when I learned about how dealers really make their money (quotas/incentives).
That is true, dealers make a good portion of their money from quotas and dealer holdbacks. The only thing is, sales are really slow for most of the Makes these days. That means many of them are not making their minimums to get to those quota payouts. But trust me, I am not defending the stealerships.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Racer

i get these in the mail.
funny thing is they dont acknowledge my car, they just say "your vehicle" which leads me to believe its a generic letter sent out to a lot of people
Old 09-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
but there are some subtle and not so subtle exterior features that I don't dig on the base 08's
like the pink tail lights
Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by blkaspec
like the pink tail lights
especially the tail lights. Not hot on the fog lamp look, either. I do like the TSX/MDX adopted steering wheel info controls and gauge cluster setup.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I traded in my 06 TL for an 08 back in June. I traded the 06 with a chip on the windshield and a minor "smudge" on the front bumper area that they inquired about. In addition some minor rubbing on the rims as well.

I got my loan paid off in full and made out with a cool $56 when they paid off my loan. I had 33K on it and managed to get the free oil change for life since the dealer wasn't offering that anymore. I sold/bought from the same dealer I originally bought my 06 TL.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 AM
'04 NBP TL AT/Navi

I've gotten 3 Acura post cards in the last two weeks. They know I have a TL it seems cause they are specific to buying an '08 or what they really want you to do is come in and test drive the '09 when it comes out. The latter I think I am going to take them up on, just to drive it. I can't afford it so don't have to worry about buying it, and as of now still don't really like the looks. I am curious though. and am considering selling my TL for another.. definitely not the '09 though.
So yeah I'd say they have been doing a bit of marketing. Every magazine I read and a lot of television commercials are Acura ones since the RDX came out. I haven't received any calls, I bet I would have if they had my current number and it wasn't unlisted though.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM
'04 NBP TL AT/Navi

especially the tail lights. Not hot on the fog lamp look, either. I do like the TSX/MDX adopted steering wheel info controls and gauge cluster setup.
tail lights are an easy fix.. some extra friendly dealer might even swap them out for you if you buy now, doubt it but slightly possible. I have some '04s for sale.