3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake or anyother modification Kill Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake or anyother modification Kill Warranty?

Hey guys I would like to add a Cold Air Intake to my car, but the dealer told me if i modify anything to the car it will destroy the warranty.. is anyone else in this situation.. its no biggie to me, but i think its rediculous that they cant allow something so simple to be put in,, I WANT TO MAKE MY ENGINE SOUND STRONGER!.. anyways please lemme know...by the way im going to wait for AEM instead of Injen... also i wanted to get the comptech springs to lower an extra inch.. i already got some sort of coilovers put in .. according to them.. but it looks like the same height as a non ASPEC.. Give me some answers .. thanks guys.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Racer

well alot of Acura dealers are certified Comtech installers, so anything done by them would keep the warenty sound in their books. If you decide to do something else not made by comptech, or something that they couldnt install, the warenty would only void, if the dealer can prove that the modification made to the car caused the problem, other then that your warenty would be fine.

Comptech makes a CAI, but some people like the sound of AEM or Injen better...

I am sure a Guru with experience can explain this to you better, but from what I have gathered this is the general idea.

goodluck
Old 06-11-2004, 11:47 PM
Drivin' it till it dies!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've asked a service manager about a cold air intake, and his response was that as long as i have an air bypass valve to eliminate any water from entering the throttle body I could still retain my warranty.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Instructor

According to a law, the dealer has to prove that the modification caused the problem in order to deny a warranty claim. For example with my supercharged Z06, they could deny a transmission claim because I am exceeeding the design limits but they would have to fix any claim - such as a broken radio, headlight assembly etc - that had not been modified.

On a cold air intake it would depend on the claim. If you drove through deep water and sucked in some, then yes, they could legally deny it. However, if you simply blew an engine up then the dealer would be very hard pressed to prove that it was the intake that caused it. However if they did decide to deny it, your only option would be to pursue a legal resolution which could cost more than to just fix the problem.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Team NightHawk VP

The warrenty is protected by Magnuson Moss Act. it is pretty much what joecoool said. if they find a problem that they cant relate to the aftermarket part, they cant void your warrenty. read more here http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm
Old 06-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Advanced

Well i was told that if the dealer installs it then the warranty wouldnt be cancelled... is that true?
Old 06-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Team NightHawk VP

some dealership might deny to install it for you. its their choice. if they install it, and it its the intake that is causing the problem, they might void the warrenty too. if your talking about comptech and stuff. some acura dealers have certified comptech technicians that work there so warrenty will not be voided if anything does wrong. but if its simply an intake, they will prob say no to the installation.

just an advise, do the intake yourself, it shouldnt cause any problems, if the check engine light comes on, put back the stock intake and you should be ok. if the intake isnt causing any problems, they cant void the warrenty
Old 06-13-2004, 11:19 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Is it hard to install the bypass valve? I don't have anything to cut the intake if I get one, but I'd like to install one to keep my engine safe.