Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inspection...Where and how much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Inspection...Where and how much?

Where do you recommend getting inspection from; stealership or local shop? I am thinking stealer will charge more money and won't pass me because of illegal tint.

How much will it cost at stealership and local shop?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 PM
My baby's ride...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SelimUniNoLimit
Where do you recommend getting inspection from; stealership or local shop? I am thinking stealer will charge more money and won't pass me because of illegal tint.

How much will it cost at stealership and local shop?
I think you sort of answered your own question.

Why go to dealer if you won't pass?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

^^ lol yes, your right. I guess i am looking to see how much others paid for their inspection? I got an offer for $60 at local shop.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Doesn't the government regulate the fee for inspections? It should be the same no matter where you go.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 PM
My baby's ride...

^^ In NJ, it's free as long as you go to a NJ State inspection station. But you would have to pay a fee if you go to a licensed shop.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
^ actually I have tint and had the same concern. I had better luck at my dealership tho, since they know me there I just asked them nicely like hypothetically speaking if I brought my car in for an inspection would you fail me because of the tint? The guy laughed at me and was like nah, we'll take care of it for you. NICE! that may just be because I am a girl tho depends if the guys at your dealership are cool or not, if you don't know any of the techs or service writers try talking to your salesman - he's prob cool with the service guys.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Word of caution to those needing to get their TL's (or any other modern car for that matter) inspected.

Many places will want to remove a front wheel to inspect your brakes. When they do this is is common practice for a lot of shops to use a floor jack and just jack up the right or left front corner. This is very bad for a car without a frame - TL's, like most cars, are of a uni-body construction. This jacking action twists the vehicle in an unnatural way and can actually cause separation of panels and underbody components. A shop did this to my '04 TL in July '07 and broke a plastic support for the driver's side rocker panels. I heard the loud pop and complained to the guy at the desk when paying, but upon initial examination, I didn't see the broken piece. It was about two months later that that I discovered it.

This is why our Service Manual recommends using a floor jack under the front center jack point. Anyway, thought y'all should know this.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

^^Maybe I should dress like a girl.lol

I bought my TL from a GMC dealer but Acura dealer do all my service. The problem is last time I drop off my car to get my recall done they called me and asked me if they can inspect my car, I was like 'sure'. I said to my self 'I couldn't believe their outstanding service; they are doing recall and inspect my car? wow'. Then i get another call stating I need this and that... and i have to pay $3$$ to get them fixed or else my car may not start, they have tow it...they call it the 45K mile service.

I went to get oil change today. They wrote it down in service description that i declined their recommended 'maintenance B' $60 inspecting which is additional to my oil change. Also they asked if i want them to do state required inspection which expires next month, I told them 'No thanks'. So yes, I think they were looking to charge me with another bill...
Old 11-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Word of caution to those needing to get their TL's (or any other modern car for that matter) inspected.

Many places will want to remove a front wheel to inspect your brakes. When they do this is is common practice for a lot of shops to use a floor jack and just jack up the right or left front corner. This is very bad for a car without a frame - TL's, like most cars, are of a uni-body construction. This jacking action twists the vehicle in an unnatural way and can actually cause separation of panels and underbody components. A shop did this to my '04 TL in July '07 and broke a plastic support for the driver's side rocker panels. I heard the loud pop and complained to the guy at the desk when paying, but upon initial examination, I didn't see the broken piece. It was about two months later that that I discovered it.

This is why our Service Manual recommends using a floor jack under the front center jack point. Anyway, thought y'all should know this.
THanks, that is very helpful.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
dealership i got it from gives free ones. but they probably always "find" something wrong and charge for the repair before you can pass...
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by luckyAKAhappy
^^ In NJ, it's free as long as you go to a NJ State inspection station. But you would have to pay a fee if you go to a licensed shop.
in mass, its $29 everywhere and you can get it done at local gas stations that have shops. in PA, dont they have separate emissions and a safety ones? theyre not that thorough here, they honk the horn and play with the lights while they drive the car into the garage (thats the safety inspection), and the emissions passes if the engine light isnt on (they do check to see if the car is in the ready state, meaning you didnt just reset the computer before you pulled in).

for the tints, i bought my car in CT where the tinting laws are more relaxed and my dealer in mass told me they wouldnt pass it cause it was too dark. so i just brought it to an old guy at a gas station who doesnt notice those things and he passed it.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:26 AM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

local ftw! thats were they passed my straight piped 240sx, with no interior, visible smoke and smoked head and tail lights!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:14 AM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by hirsch014
in mass, its $29 everywhere and you can get it done at local gas stations that have shops. in PA, dont they have separate emissions and a safety ones? theyre not that thorough here, they honk the horn and play with the lights while they drive the car into the garage (thats the safety inspection), and the emissions passes if the engine light isnt on (they do check to see if the car is in the ready state, meaning you didnt just reset the computer before you pulled in).

for the tints, i bought my car in CT where the tinting laws are more relaxed and my dealer in mass told me they wouldnt pass it cause it was too dark. so i just brought it to an old guy at a gas station who doesnt notice those things and he passed it.
Inspection stations NJ is anal. They hook up your car and test emissions, they check your brakes, check all lights and they even check your window visors to make sure it's not too dark or they require you to remove it. But
Old 11-14-2008, 07:14 AM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by hirsch014

Inspection stations NJ is anal. They hook up your car and test emissions, they check your brakes, check all lights and they even check your window visors to make sure it's not too dark or they require you to remove it. But at least the inspection is free
Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced

No inspection needed

I live in rural Wisconsin and we do not need inspections. Good thing though, you should see some of the cars around here!!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:22 AM
DuDeChEwY

in jersey they can charge you any thing they want.....ive paid 60 dollars for an inspection and ive also paid 140 for an inspection....i got my car done at the beginning of the year for 60 dollars.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:34 AM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by dudechewy
in jersey they can charge you any thing they want.....ive paid 60 dollars for an inspection and ive also paid 140 for an inspection....i got my car done at the beginning of the year for 60 dollars.
I guess an inspection station was too far out of the way?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by luckyAKAhappy
I guess an inspection station was too far out of the way?
In North Carolina I use Jiffy Lube.

They don't do repairs so there is no incentive for them to fail you & have never had a fail.

State mandates the fee so its the same, $30??, regardless of who does the work.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what kind of inspection you guys talking about ?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:56 PM
TL SL ML :)

^ ...the one that renews the inspection sticker on your car