3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increase your gas mileage ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:53 AM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Increase your gas mileage ???

i was just on ebay lookin around for accesories and jumped into this thing im not really sure what it is or if it even works so i thought id ask someone here so its a
Power Maxx Vortex Generator which is supposed to increase your gas mileage by up to 31%..well this is the link to the ebay site with all the information so let me know if i shud grab that and put it in my 04 TL if it doesnt mess up my car or warranty and it actually works ill get it..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bette...mZ270028899698
Old 12-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't work, period.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:00 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

haha..good answer cause reading that didnt make much sense to me either
Old 12-14-2006, 12:07 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
if you want to improve your gas mileage, do the following:

Be sure to use 91+ fuel
Be sure to keep your tires inflated above 32 psi
Be sure to keep filters cleaned
Be sure to keep oil changed
Old 12-14-2006, 12:16 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

yea i pump 94 fuel and i keep everything in tact...how do you clean filters and which filters?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:19 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Well actually you replace them unless you have a CAI which you can clean. Basically you swap out and replace the engine air filter as well as the cabin air filter.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Racer

drive 60-62 mph on the freeway.

At 70-75 I average 23-25 mpg.

At 60-62 I average 27-28 mpg.

This is 50-50 city/hwy mixed driving. When going through town easy stops and starts help.

Patience is a virtue.
5mpg is about 70 miles extra per filup.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:04 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Up to 31% increase in gas mileage

Power increase of up to 35 horsepower
Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdb8805
drive 60-62 mph on the freeway.

At 70-75 I average 23-25 mpg.

At 60-62 I average 27-28 mpg.

This is 50-50 city/hwy mixed driving. When going through town easy stops and starts help.

Patience is a virtue.
5mpg is about 70 miles extra per filup.
Crazy. My 06 AT has 6000 miles on it and I get 31-32mph at 80mph.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:12 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

my 04tl drives a full tank of gas about 350km in the city no highway and i dunt quickly accelerate or anything...just drive da limit sometimes a lil over so is that normal for this car?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
Crazy. My 06 AT has 6000 miles on it and I get 31-32mph at 80mph.
so with 31-32 mpg, that's around 527 miles / tank. I drive 80 mpg and I commute. I never get that much. Damn.

Nan08
06' WDP w/ Nav
Old 12-14-2006, 02:06 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by bloodylankan
i was just on ebay lookin around for accesories and jumped into this thing im not really sure what it is or if it even works so i thought id ask someone here so its a
Power Maxx Vortex Generator which is supposed to increase your gas mileage by up to 31%..well this is the link to the ebay site with all the information so let me know if i shud grab that and put it in my 04 TL if it doesnt mess up my car or warranty and it actually works ill get it..

Just another infomercial scam.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Need 4 Speed...

This is prob garbage too..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you guys think?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:27 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Juiced_Acura_Kidd

What do you guys think?
Saw that one once upon a time on an informercial too.

When are people gonna learn that at least 9 out of 10 products and services sold on infomercials are bullshit.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leedogg
if you want to improve your gas mileage, do the following:

Be sure to use 91+ fuel
Be sure to keep your tires inflated above 32 psi
Be sure to keep filters cleaned
Be sure to keep oil changed
there's more.

- Drive slowly and take off very gently. Keep the rpm at below 2000 rpm.
- I keep my tire pressure at 45.
- Do not put unnecessary weight i.e. remove your Navi. Do not put passengers. Lose your own body weight. Try to keep it below 130 lbs. Recommendation, avoid eating greasy food and candy bars and coke. Don't eat ice cream either. Remove any stuff in the trunk, i.e. a box of water bottles, groceries, toys, etc. Remove the spare tire and the lift jack.
- umm what else.. trying to think.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Banned

Oh yea, the Denso's Iridium Spark plugs.. premium stuff. That'll help gas mileage a bit too.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
If those simple fixes really improved fuel economy that much they would be on every single production car sold.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Juiced_Acura_Kidd

What do you guys think?
Take it from someone who has taken graduate electromagnetics. The description of how it works doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Useless. As if the ridiculous claims don't stop with increased gas mileage, somehow that magnet cleans all of the carbon deposits out of the engine, reduces emissions by 50%, and "dramatically" increases horsepower. HAH!
Old 12-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
There is a quick test to determine the validity of any such product and its amazing claims.

Do you see racing teams using these products in their race cars? If the answer is "no", you can pretty much rest assured that the product is crap and the claims follow suit.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:16 PM
07 NBP TL-S

my 04tl drives a full tank of gas about 350km in the city no highway and i dunt quickly accelerate or anything...just drive da limit sometimes a lil over so is that normal for this car?
I get approximately the same on my TL-S.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:47 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
There is a quick test to determine the validity of any such product and its amazing claims.

Do you see racing teams using these products in their race cars? If the answer is "no", you can pretty much rest assured that the product is crap and the claims follow suit.
WELL said!
Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah and besides I'm sure there would be other companies trying to improve or duplicate this product anyway, as much as I'd love for a simple fix to boost gas mileage it doesn't.

I feel sorry for the person who saw this and bought it thinking of the benefits before they considered it could be fake. It's always a good think to ask about it before buying good job asking first.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I stand by my trusty K&N air filter $45-last a lifetime, and a Tornado air swirler $65 (with money back guarantee if not satisfied) They add up to way better performance and a little better mileage when you drive sanely. As fuel continues towards 5 dollars a gallon, every half a mpg I can increase is worth the time and effort.

Next, synthetic grease for the muffler bearings!! That ought to be worth 4 mpg right there!!!!!!!!!

As a pilot I know aerodynamics and the good intake products are swirling the air to mix for better combustion. As a race car driver and builder, there are things I would use on my street car and not on the race car and vice-versa. Different air intake needs, how much air volume and at what air speed.

Another cheap useful bit is the magnet that goes around the fuel line. Gasoline contains oxygen and hydrocarbon molecules. When they sit in the tank they bond together, then they are less efficient at combustion. A special magnet (12 dollars-Harbor Freight) breaks apart that bond as fuel passes thru it. This does make a measured decrease in hydrocarbons on the smog machine, that means the engine is burning cleaner-thus better.

Filters, I spend the money $11 K&N oil filters too
You only need 91 octane for the computer to work right. Save the 94 for the track unless you live WAYYYYY up in the mountains
Old 12-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Team Owner

"If those simple fixes really improved fuel economy that much they would be on every single production car sold."

For those new to the corruption that is Big Oil, Big Cars, Big Government, let me gently break the news to you of their very close relationship.

They can make cars that get amazing mileage. Why on earth would they want to remove lees money from your pocket every week by spending 5 dollars at the factory? You will be paying them forever one way or another.

Sure, you can have cars that get 30 mpg, but um, well, we have to raise gas to 4 dollars a gallon, the war you know, you remember the war- right?
Fighting the Middle Class till the End

Good Night and God Bless us Everyone <g>
Old 12-15-2006, 01:31 AM
9th Gear

I keep the air filter cleen. about every 10,000 miles
Use mobil synthetic 5 20
Changed to Bosch platinum 4
Drive close to 200 miles in the city everyday
Average 30-32 mpg
Also do not put youor foot through the floor helps
2005 6speed with 66,000 miles
Old 12-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I stand by my trusty K&N air filter $45-last a lifetime, and a Tornado air swirler $65 (with money back guarantee if not satisfied) They add up to way better performance and a little better mileage when you drive sanely. As fuel continues towards 5 dollars a gallon, every half a mpg I can increase is worth the time and effort.

Next, synthetic grease for the muffler bearings!! That ought to be worth 4 mpg right there!!!!!!!!!

As a pilot I know aerodynamics and the good intake products are swirling the air to mix for better combustion. As a race car driver and builder, there are things I would use on my street car and not on the race car and vice-versa. Different air intake needs, how much air volume and at what air speed.

Another cheap useful bit is the magnet that goes around the fuel line. Gasoline contains oxygen and hydrocarbon molecules. When they sit in the tank they bond together, then they are less efficient at combustion. A special magnet (12 dollars-Harbor Freight) breaks apart that bond as fuel passes thru it. This does make a measured decrease in hydrocarbons on the smog machine, that means the engine is burning cleaner-thus better.

You only need 91 octane for the computer to work right. Save the 94 for the track unless you live WAYYYYY up in the mountains
No.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
This is one of those things that i always chocked up to ...........yeah right a magnet is gonna do something to make the fuel burn more efficiently............and never would have thought to try it since I just figured it was a waste of money.

Well a friend of mine was describing how these increased the milage of his beater car and he had equipped all his vehicles with them and was very happy with them, and I started my rant about if it works why dont all the manufacturers use them yadda yadda and he says .......check this out........

He takes me over to his natural gas furnace and says check out the flame, so I am watching this beautiful flame and he pulls this clamshell magnet thing off the gas line and the flame becomes much more yellow and not nearly as precise of a shape, he reattaches the magnet and it goes right back to this beautiful conical flame. I get real quiet and am thinking damn this thing actually works!

So there you have it I have actually watched this magnet increase the combustion efficiency of a natural gas fired furnace. Still have not put one on my car lol, but I am convinced that they can work.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

I can't decide if you're being serious or sarcastic. I really really hope its sarcastic.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Pro

1. The EPA is required to test any device that claims to improve fuel efficiency in 42 USC 7525 and 49 USC 32918. Regulations describing the program are found at 40 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 610. Section 511 of the Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings Act was the original law requiring the EPA to perform such testing. More information here.

2. AAA and Consumer reports also conduct their own independent testing of gas savers.

My thorough internet research has produced the following findings:

Sold under a variety of brand names, the "fuel line magnet" has been around since the early 80s. Manufacturers claim it "separates" or otherwise "organizes" the fuel molecules for more efficient combustion. The EPA tested and published their results while trying the fuel line magnet. The results weren't shocking: no measurable effect on emissions and the fuel mileage was actually slightly worse with the magnet installed. EPA Results. Results for another brand. Results for another brand. Note: I have taken graduate electromagnetics courses and my own analysis indicates that the fuel line magnet doesn't make a lick of sense. What a waste.

Results are confirmed by AAA and Consumer reports testing.

Full list of EPA-tested products here.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Team Owner

OK So you have done all the technical research, just like the guys on Mythbusters who didnt believe you can get explosive gas buildup in an outhouse until they set fire to the whole thing!.
All I know is the magnet I use got 1.5 mpg improve in a nissan maxima.
Do not have the results in on the TL yet- failing trans was effecting mileage
Air that is smooth flowing , swirling and fast will mix the fuel and air molecules better, thats basic science. So I like my K&N and Tornado, real world driving is my test bench.
Plus the magnet is CARB certified- which means proven not to make worse emissions or otherwise damage engine performance.

But really, is your problem with my use of synthetic grease on the muffler bearings or my tongue in cheek writing style? <g>
Old 12-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Instructor

It's a piece of junk. Save yourself some bucks....don't buy!!
Old 12-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Pro

Much of my driving is in stop and go traffic ... New York City Currently, my mpg is 18 and the avg mph is 19. The only way I try to increase my gas mileage is driving the car at night on weekends (but going nowhere in particular) where I can get 30 mpg. Doing this increases my mpg (optically speaking) in the long run. Is there anyone out there as dumb as me? But I must confess that I do enjoy driving and listening to my favorite DVD-As at the same time.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Team Owner

I am telling you, K&N air filter, Tornado air intake swirler and synthetic grease in the muffler bearings!!!! 4 MPG

And drive smoother, like a raw egg under the pedals

Still waiting for someone to ask about the muffler bearings <G>
Old 12-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Team Owner

You might look at the Seafoam postings, that stuff will clean the gook out of the engine and may bring up your mileage. Trips for no reason just burn up gas.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Your way behind man.................all of us have already done the mod. Our bearings are sealed and lubed for the life of the muffler and we reversed the polarity on the cats.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:14 AM
Advanced

hey to be honest i'm not sure if this particular one works althought i have heard of similar things like this such as the tornado that do work. Keep me updated if you find out, i might be interested in this thing too.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

I am telling you, K&N air filter, Tornado air intake swirler and synthetic grease in the muffler bearings!!!! 4 MPG

And drive smoother, like a raw egg under the pedals

I thought someone had inquired about those bearings.

Hell, I've used axle bearing grease for years on my muffler bearings with super success. Now you're telling me that the synthetic stuff is superior? Man, that just goes to show you learn something new every day.

Have to ask. Do you just coat the bearings or do you remove the muffler races, clean them, and pack them as well?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile You are SO WRONG...

SothernBoy,

I always thought your posts were intelligent until now! I have to say you are so wrong it's not even funny.

First of all you do not get fuel economy from muffler bearings. Everyone knows that...except you obviously.

You get fuel economy from HI-PO blinker fluid and changing the summer air in the tires to winter air.

The fuel economy comes from changing the MUFFLER FILTER. Not the bearings.

C'mon man...I mean really!

Have a great Holiday bud,

A-Train
Old 12-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Atrain
SothernBoy,

I always thought your posts were intelligent until now! I have to say you are so wrong it's not even funny.

First of all you do not get fuel economy from muffler bearings. Everyone knows that...except you obviously.

You get fuel economy from HI-PO blinker fluid and changing the summer air in the tires to winter air.

The fuel economy comes from changing the MUFFLER FILTER. Not the bearings.

C'mon man...I mean really!

Have a great Holiday bud,

A-Train
Well, ya' know.. that just goes to show ya'. Guess I need to open another long neck and burn up some more brain cells. I mean.. I've NEVER changed my muffler filter!! That explains why my engine from time to time at idle, suddenly runs in reverse and then back to normal.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Incidently, ya'll have a great holiday season this year.

(heh, heh) If I get to see Santa on some neighbor's roof, I'm going to shot his Rudolf.

Quick Reply: Increase your gas mileage ???