3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm getting a bulldog how do I protect my TL? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I'm getting a bulldog how do I protect my TL? Help!

My wife has been wanting an English Bulldog for some time now and I’ve decided to get her one. Now I know I’m going to be driving the dog around from time to time as my wife does not like to drive. How do you protect your car from a puppy that’s full of energy and want to jump on everything. For the most part my car is mint, I only really drive on the weekends and it’s only really me and my wife. The back seats are almost new, I fear the dog’s nails and the seats and door panels. How do you dog owners protect your cars from your four legged family members? I’ve trained my nieces and nephew how to behave in my car, they know that cant eat or drink in the car, they cant put there hands on the windows or kick the seat in front of them. 95% of the time they follow the rules. But they are 3(boy), 4(girl),and 6(girl) and know right from wrong. A puppy would be a challenge, any suggestions or tips?
Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Advanced

you could use your wife's car to drive when the dog is in the car or make the dog sit on your wife's lap. also, you could just throw some towels or blankets in the backseat and pray it doesnt go for the side panels
Old 12-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VTRAN
you could use your wife's car to drive when the dog is in the car or make the dog sit on your wife's lap. also, you could just throw some towels or blankets in the backseat and pray it doesnt go for the side panels
we are currently a one car family, she really does not want to drive. but i was thinking of covering the back seats and panels, but thats going to suck. I guess if she is with me she can sit in the back with him.(unsafe to have a dog in front seat).
Old 12-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Good luck with that

http://www.ukdogguards.co.uk/dog-cages.html#car
Old 12-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Xerlude
we are currently a one car family, she really does not want to drive. but i was thinking of covering the back seats and panels, but thats going to suck. I guess if she is with me she can sit in the back with him.(safe to have a dog in front seat).
FIXED :rofL

I dare someone to put this on the TL
Old 12-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Petco sells rear seat heavy canvas covers to protect against pets. They work really well and tie up to the headrest to keep them from moving around. They have different sizes from large to small cars. However, dogs like poking their heads out rear windows or trying to look out and will put their front paws on the rear door armrest. Their nails will tear up that soft material in short order. Not sure if there is a solution for this floating around...

http://www.petco.com/product/108194/...t=OnSiteSearch
Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Good thing is bulldogs arent that large and they're LAZY so more than likely he wont be jumping around everywhere.

But you definitely need to invest in something along these lines

http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/quilt...at-covers.html
Old 12-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Racer

don't they have shoes for dogs? you can give him/her a mitt or some sort of glove.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
thanks, this looks like a winner

folds and fits easy in the trunk.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SCS15
Good thing is bulldogs arent that large and they're LAZY so more than likely he wont be jumping around everywhere.

But you definitely need to invest in something along these lines

http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/quilt...at-covers.html
yes, but when they are puppies, they are full of energy.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wonton
don't they have shoes for dogs? you can give him/her a mitt or some sort of glove.
that would be a bit :ghey:
i was also thinking maybe that nail file thing they sell on tv that look like a Dremel.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
i was also thinking maybe that nail file thing they sell on tv that look like a Dremel.
Don't buy it, that thing is a waste of money.

I have a Pug and we usually keep him on the floorboard in front of the passenger seat when we drive or he sits in my gf's lap. I know a Bulldog will get bigger than a Pug but this technique may work while he is a puppy. Also, when its just my dog and I driving, I usually cover the passenger seat with a blanket and it seems to work so far. Good luck and post some pics of your Bully when you get him/her.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If ur concerns are the nails scratching the leather just keep the nails trimmed and you should be fine. However you should just invest in a doggie seatbelt. It will keep the dog confined to one spot and it will keep the dog safe in the event of a collision. My dogs nails do not effect my uppholstry In my car mainly because we keep her nails groomed.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Instructor

That dremel thing works wonders... The only thing our dog will let us bring anywhere near her nails.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Newb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dont leave your car and dog in the garage unattended. Our dog chewed up my brother's front bumper/a-spec lip because he was teething.

Keep his nails trimmed, avoid him on the leather seats unless you have something to cover them up like a towel or something.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Acuras Only in

I would vote for back seat cover ... can't imagine those claws on the fine leather of TL .. lol
Old 12-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whenever we transport our dog it goes in a kennel/cage, its safer for the dog, yourself, and your car. having to worry about a dog while you are driving is dangerous, and if you do happen to get into an accident the dog is at risk because it has no seatbelt like you do
Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by craigtl35
whenever we transport our dog it goes in a kennel/cage, its safer for the dog, yourself, and your car. having to worry about a dog while you are driving is dangerous, and if you do happen to get into an accident the dog is at risk because it has no seatbelt like you do
That's not true they make a doggie seatbelt that can be picked up at any pet store and is essentially a harness that you put on the dog and the seatbelt hooks onto. That is the safest for both the pet and everyone in the car. In the carrier they can be injured in a collision because there is nothing securing them to a fixed object
Old 12-28-2009, 02:04 AM
2nd Gear

Have you thought of just using a doggie crate/carrier? I don't have a dog, but that's how the people in my family who have dogs take them in the car.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
thin leather +dog = no fun. I use a military grade wool blanket in my car. it does two things

1. dog nails cannot poke through it
2. dog fur sticks to it like a magnet on steel
Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by madcaps
Don't buy it, that thing is a waste of money.

it's a peticure and it works great....lol the fun part is getting the dog to behave but the promise if a snausages works really well :P

takes about 3 seconds a nail once a week
Old 12-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
They will play havoc on everything in the back seat. Not only will you need to cover the seats, but the door handles and panels because they will use them to prop themselves up to look out the window.

I have 3 goldens and the backseat of my Pilot is pretty beat up. The one good thing about leather is it is durable and even though it is scratched, it hasn't torn like fabric would.

We were a 1 driver family too, but had the Pilot first for carting around a young hockey player all over the place. So the Pilot was somewhat beat up by parking in ice rink lots with big bags and sticks going everywhere.

The dogs NEVER ride in the TL.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Pro

The leather is pretty tough in the back seat but the slobber, throw up, and other fluid will stain it and the carpet. No more dogs in my car after the one. Even when I put blankets or towels down, it was hard to fasten them so they wouldn't slide off of the seat.

Last edited by Bender; 12-28-2009 at 11:06 AM.