AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   Idea for external front bumper sensor for lowered cars? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/idea-external-front-bumper-sensor-lowered-cars-852549/)

con5tant 03-31-2012 11:46 PM

Idea for external front bumper sensor for lowered cars?

I want to lower my car but since it's so long i have a hard time judging how close those curb stops are when pulling into a parking spot. I usually find myself well over the curb. I want to make a sensor(or pay someone to make one) that attaches to the bottom of the front bumper. When the front comes within a certain distance from an object it will flash a light or something which can be seen from the inside. Any ideas how to do this? Or is this just a stupid idea?

pohljm 03-31-2012 11:59 PM

just do a back up camera mod but mount the camera in front!

BukvaMan 04-01-2012 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by con5tant (Post 13668733)
I want to lower my car but since it's so long i have a hard time judging how close those curb stops are when pulling into a parking spot. I usually find myself well over the curb. I want to make a sensor(or pay someone to make one) that attaches to the bottom of the front bumper. When the front comes within a certain distance from an object it will flash a light or something which can be seen from the inside. Any ideas how to do this? Or is this just a stupid idea?

Dont lower your car ! :) there is a consequence to every part we change on our cars. Or just deal with it

JoeTL'81 04-01-2012 12:09 AM

When you hear a scraping sound … the curb is too close

SpiderX1016 04-01-2012 12:13 AM

You gotta learn the hard way.

Try using the cars next to the parking spot as a reference.

con5tant 04-01-2012 01:33 AM

i had a RSX that sat 3"s from the ground and never had a problem parking it because it was a lot smaller than the TL.

Originally Posted by pohljm (Post 13668755)
just do a back up camera mod but mount the camera in front!

i don't want to void my acuracare just yet...
i guess i should do some research on back up sensors and see if i can mount them in the front near the ground

Originally Posted by JoeTL'81 (Post 13668772)
When you hear a scraping sound … the curb is too close

i think you mean cracking... i wouldn't care if the front scrapped. what i care about is the actual bumper not hitting the curb and cracking.

Jesstzn 04-01-2012 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by con5tant (Post 13668883)
i don't want to void my acuracare just yet...

Why would adding a camera do that?

con5tant 04-01-2012 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jesstzn (Post 13669109)
Why would adding a camera do that?

? What?
I'd probably have to get the camera to be displayed somewhere..?

pohljm 04-01-2012 11:08 AM

adding a back up camera will not void your extended warranty!

Now lowering your car will definitely void the axles, various suspension parts, and they could even stretch it to a tranny if they wanted to be dicks!

You should be way more worried about that mod than a back up camera if warranty repairs are your concern

con5tant 04-01-2012 11:22 AM

uhhh... So adding another backup camera and having it some how get my navigation to display both cameras wont void the electronics warranty?
I know how to swap out axles and suspension parts, not worried about that

Bearcat94 04-01-2012 11:44 AM

Interesting idea. A proximity sensor behind the bumper plugs in the front maybe? Maybe a parking sensor from the rear parking sensor kit?

Wire a button next to the VSA (open stock switch location). It'd be cool if you could get something that showed how close you were.

Or, maybe use the rear parking sensor kit and adapt it for the front.

pohljm 04-01-2012 12:40 PM

It will be so much easier to put a switch to go between two camera sources and activate when in drive, than to try and get the proximity sensors dialed in to sense something low to the ground like a parking bumper or curb. When shooting horizontally to the ground the sensors are all good, but it will not detect the parking bumper that is 5"-6" above grade. Prox sensors are working in distances of feet. you will need to have them work in much closer tolerances. You will have to aim it towards the ground to detect that and then once you have it aimed so that it does not false read just the ground since you are lowered you will have very little tolerance for when it does sense the curb. You will have to creep in or you will not be able to react in time.

LockDots 04-01-2012 09:04 PM

Besides experience, you could always use backup/parking sensors mounted to the bottom of your bumpers. Audiovox/Voxxintl makes a few that have tolerances in inches. You could fabricate some brackets so that they're held onto your bumper but not installed IN it.

cjTL 04-01-2012 09:09 PM

Depending on how elaborate you were to make it, it could end up being cheaper to just repaint the bumper after the fact. :shrug:

potmilkz 04-02-2012 11:46 AM

i just look at car next to me, their reflection on the passenger side door tells me how close i am

RaviNJCLs 04-02-2012 12:05 PM

Honestly, the best way is to take time to learn the dimensions of your car. What I mean by that is pull into a spot. Stop well short of the curb. Look at where you are in relation to another car. Get out and check how far you are from the curb. Then move in closer. Check surroundings and get out and check how far you are again. Do this a couple times and you'll eventually get the hang of it.

GoldnKnight22 04-02-2012 01:06 PM

Yeah, you're way better off just learning the dimensions and spatial relationships of your car. Unless you are just looking for a pointless way to burn some money. :rolleyes: