Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wish my door panels had clear bra...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish my door panels had clear bra...

Yesterday morning I was driving to work around 6:30am. For those that live in Jacksonville, FL there's a lot of construction all around town. I was headed westbound on JTB. I notice traffic on the road was more than usual. I usually leave my house around 6am, but I left 15min later.

So, going down on JTB, I noticed rocks flying on all 3 lanes!!! I was behind a Ford Exploder.. whoops, I meant Ford Explorer I can hear my car and windshield being smashed with rocks going 50-60mph. I slowed down so the rocks won't make much of an impact when it makes contact. There was nothing I can do. The "rock storm" on the road lasted a good minute or so. I thought to myself I'll be ok because I have the clear bra on my car.

I got to work around 7:00am which is late for me. I wanted to inspect it, but it was still too dark. So, I went outside on my break at 9:00am. I checked out the front, and there was nothing. I was glad. So my day is back to normal right.......

When I left in the afternoon to go pick up my little cousin from school, I noticed 3 rock chips on my drivers door! I was so pissed!! I hurried and dropped him home so I can buff out the scratch which I did, but the mark was still there. It's very small but it's bothering me a lot. I maintain the car with Zaino and it's just ugly. I'm going to a place I usually go to for paint jobs. Hopefully, they don't need to paint it, but the damaged looks like it's through the base coat.

My clear bra did the job in the front, but I just don't understand how a rock chip would hit my door panel. Maybe my tire kicked it up some how. I wished I had protection on the doors, but I think it would look ugly. Anyways, I have pics, but it's hard to tell since they are very small. Knowing how anal I am, I do want to get it fixed, but I really don't want them to paint over the factory. I'm at work and I can't concentrate because I keep thinking of this. I'm glad I go on vacation starting tomorrow so I can get an estimate and have it done early next week. Sorry this was long, but I wish there was some protection on the door panels. Oh fudge!!!! LOL!!! It's only a car right... haha!!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
fill it in with some touch up paint and buff the excess out. That it will make it so it never happened. If you really d want th ecar clearbraed, the entire car can be done for like 3-4K.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by csmeance
fill it in with some touch up paint and buff the excess out. That it will make it so it never happened. If you really d want th ecar clearbraed, the entire car can be done for like 3-4K.

Been there done that. The results made it worse for me, and I had to buff out all the paint. Also I'm not going to wetsand my car. I have to take it to my shop to see what they can do. I tried Langka in the past for my RSX-S. That made my car even worse and had the company pay for my paint job (front bumper).
Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face I know how it feels!!

Sorry to hear what happened to your car!! I had my car for few months and I always check for door dings and scratches whenever I leave a parking lot!! But it is just hard to keep the paint job flawless.

With the clear bar, where did you put your pictures. I kinda wanna put a clear bra on if it is not too much work. I tried not to get too close to the car/TRUCK infront of me to avoid paint chip.... again.... it is inevitable to get it though, so relax and don't think about it all day.... cos I know how it feels
Old 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I am very anal about my cars as well (06RL,06 TSX, 06 Maszda MX-5) I keep them covered and I pedal a bike to work. Its impossible to keep them flawless. I have clear bra on all my cars and the only one that has no marks at all is the Mazda. I just keep a paint pen handy and do the best I can. Atleast I have no dings, or scratches. The paint chips are just hard to avoid. I have a tiny one on my tsx, just aboue the clear bra. I have two tiny chips on the windshield. The glass company says, they are too small to fix I find the paint pens work the best.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Couldn't be happier!

I didn't think it was an uncommon thing, but after hearing all these stories on here about rock chips and door dings and people going to go them fixed it makes me wonder.

When I went through the buying process, my dealer offered me a 4 year door and hood service that can be utilized once a year for the length of the contract where they would take my car in, take note of all of the trouble spots and nicks, etc., and fix them accordingly.

It didn't cost an arm and a leg so I figured it would be worth it. I still don't have the car yet, but I'm anxious to get it and experience first hand what problems may arise from the roads.

On another note, I considered getting a clear bra, but even as inconspicuous as it may be I really don't want the 'line' across my hood. I figure I can just use this service once a year to get it back to perfect.