3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I like, wife doesn't - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 06:35 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I like, wife doesn't - what to do?

Would like to hear some opinions. I drive a 1994 Mercedes C220 with 100,000 miles on it. It is in great shape - I wax it every year and maintain as needed. It has developed an oil leak (very slight) at the front of the head gasket. Thought it would be good time to replace Mercedes - althought it still runs great and leak is very slight.

I narrowed it down to the TL. I am a 54 year old financial consultant. Stopped by the dealer to show the wife and she thinks it is too young of a car for me. She also thinks it is too low to the ground and really does not care for it. I like it and can get it if I wish - however I want her to be happy too. I personally think it will grow on her and she will probably want to drive it herself. She feels it is a too much like a sports car and too performance oriented - not a car I would want to take out clients in.

I tried a Jag S type a Mercedes E320, and most recently the Lexus RX330 (wife has a RX300). I think the Mercedes is overpriced and the Jag may have reliability problems. At a little over $30m with no navi I like the price range of the TL and I really like the way it handles.

So, any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be welcomed.

Thanks much, Tom
Old 03-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Banned

Did she just look at it or did she get in it, too? If she hasn't sat in one, do that. The interior may be the best way to sell her on getting a TL.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

i think in time it will grow on her and she will want to make it her own car.....so i say if shes giving you the go ahead i would buy it.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:47 PM
4th Gear

I took her for a ride in it last night and she wasn't thrilled. I must say - that was my third test drive and the salesmen let us go out alone - each time I drive it I like it more. At 54 do you think I should be getting something more conservative?
Old 03-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
If you like it, just buy it. She has her own car, let her drive that and not yours. That's the way it works in my house--I bought my wife the car she wanted, and she let me buy what I wanted. I don't want to drive her Accord (I-4....ewwww), and she likes her Accord too much to drive my TL.

It will grow on your wife.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Simple..Divorce her .. she doesn't know awesome car car at a great price point.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Banned

What car does she want you to get?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since she likes her RX and she wants you to have a boring car, there is always the ES330??? It atleast has a beautiful interior, but the exterior isn't as pretty and it is a snore to drive.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:37 PM
4th Gear

Hey Tom:

Tuff in a forum like this to address all possible factors...

FYI, my wife drives a RX330, and I just traded into a TL 5AT w/Navi(NBP/Ebony) from an IS300. I am 56.

Looks like you really want the TL. Good choice. Some interesting dynamics going on here though. You say she feels the car is "too young" of a car for you . Not sure what that means. "Too low to the ground,"...maybe, a little, but the OEM ground effects make it seem that way. She "really doesn't care for it." I wonder what her key objection is? You greatly enhance your chances if you can get to and overcome her main objection.

Strategy here? Yeah, she might get used to the TL. But then, she may not, and you say you want her to be happy too. You need to work on a couple of angles here.

How about this? Since she drives a Lexus, why don't you show her some recent mags/articles on the TL, including the Apr 04 issue of Consumer Reports. Show her pg. 8--"Top Picks 2004." Show her how the Lexus RX330 (even if she has the RX300) is the top-rated midsized SUV for 2004, AND THEN, show her the top-rated upscale sedan for 2004...the TL!! Since she drives the Lexus, she is probably marque and quality-conscious. No problem. Show her how Acura is right up there quality-wise too (from that same mag).

IOW, my suggestion is to deemphasize performance (heh, heh, we know it's there), and emphasize quality/luxury instead.

While she stops to think about what you just said, change subjects. Offer to take her out to dinner. OK, this is a little manipulative, but this is for her own good, right? ;-))

At dinner, don't mention the TL unless she brings up the subject. She probably will. Reiterate quality and luxury at a very reasonable price. (You're a Financial Consultant--I trust you can give her a great cost/benefit argument!) I would be surprised if you didn't see her starting to understand why you believe the TL is the way to go.

Keep us posted as to your progress! And be sure to visit the dealer again for a test drive, assuming she didn't get a chance to drive the TL on your last dealer visit.

--delta
Old 03-06-2004, 08:05 PM
4th Gear

Delta,

I like your train of thought. Your assumption was right - she didn't get a chance to drive it - she was in the passenger seat. Chances are if she looks at it again and drives it she will start to like it. I think it is a big change for her to look at the TL which is very aerodynamic compared to the Mercedes C220 which is a very traditional look. Funny how the TL is the one car that gets me excited - I have a strong feeling whether she comes around or not I am going to end up with it. And, if I do I would almost guarantee she will want to drive it every now and then - (more now than then).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom
Old 03-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Advanced

I realize you want your wife to like your new purchase as well, but hey if your paying for it, then it's ultimately your decision, especially since she has her own vehicle. I will agree with your wife that the looks are catered to a younger crowd. It's sporty looking. I like that immensely, but I am in my 30s. I don't see my perspective changing in 20 years though. I also have 2002 Firebird Formula, which my wife gave me a bit a **** about when I first bought it, but it has grown on her, and she recognizes it's a nice car and purpose oriented. I would just go ahead and get what you want for your hard earned dollars and let the wife adapt to the new ride. BTW I just picked my White TL 3 days ago and love it!
P.S. Get the Navigation System!
Regards,
Old 03-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tsinvest
I took her for a ride in it last night and she wasn't thrilled. I must say - that was my third test drive and the salesmen let us go out alone - each time I drive it I like it more. At 54 do you think I should be getting something more conservative?
54 ain't old, man. It's all relative. I don't know if you should buy the TL, but don't rule it out for something more conservative (read: boring) based on age.
If my financial advisor pulled up in the TL I'd think "Dude's keepin' up."
Old 03-06-2004, 08:21 PM
4th Gear

Hey finishline, if I get this car I'm going to come looking for your business (financial business that is)

From a "keepin' up Dude"
Old 03-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Do what I did, buy her an RSX.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:40 PM
User Registered

Dump her.

Hahah... just kidding. When it comes down to it, do you like it and do you want it? If so, then get it and get it the way you want it. Women only have to like it if it's for them.

As the saying goes, you only live once. Besides, look at all the trinkets you'll be able to get her by saving all that money!

My $0.02

Old 03-06-2004, 08:42 PM
4th Gear

In the end, it's a matter of simply balancing interests--yours and your wife's. You say you have a "...a strong feeling whether she comes around or not I am going to end up with it." I think you've just answered your own question...

Age is relative. I race a modded '93 Supra Turbo hardtop! ...just another dude who enjoys keepin' up...
Old 03-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Cruisin'

tsinvest,

I'm 55 and I absolutely love my new TL. If your wife has any of the common interests that you have, she will wind up liking it too. FYI, I took two clients to lunch this week and both were extremely impressed. Yes they were younger, but hey, younger is better in this day and age and there's more of them. IMHO the Lexus 330 looks like an old lady's car, but don't let my opinion infleuence you.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know what color you test drove but the lighter colors on the TL may give a less "juvenile" look to the car, the Satin Silver, Diamond Pearl, and Desert Mist make it look a little more elegant and stresses the luxury side of the TL more, IMO.

This might sit better with your wife. (provided of course that you are willing to get one of these colors)

I have to say though that for about a $20k difference, the MB E320 or BMW 530 would not be a justified buy.

The Lexus ES330 is a little too cushy of a ride and really does look like a glorified Camry... you're 54 but you don't have to give up on the opportunity to feel 25 that easily...

just my 2 cents...
Old 03-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Hey I'm 57, my WDP/Parchment/5AT/Navi should be here end of
March.
I still feel young and like nimble cars. I really would like the
Mercedes e330 I saw the other day. Starting at 48K it's to
rich for my blood as my blood goes into the boat.
Craig
Old 03-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Banned

Yeah ... what's all this old stuff? My MOM, who'll be 63 this year, drives a 2002 M3 w/SMG!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Take your wife to look at a new Corvette or Porsche, then pass back by the Acura dealership. She'll start to come around!
Old 03-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I like, wife doesn't - what to do?

Would like to hear some opinions. I drive a 1994 Mercedes C220 with 100,000 miles on it. It is in great shape - I wax it every year and maintain as needed. It has developed an oil leak (very slight) at the front of the head gasket. Thought it would be good time to replace Mercedes - althought it still runs great and leak is very slight.

I narrowed it down to the TL. I am a 54 year old financial consultant. Stopped by the dealer to show the wife and she thinks it is too young of a car for me. She also thinks it is too low to the ground and really does not care for it. I like it and can get it if I wish - however I want her to be happy too. I personally think it will grow on her and she will probably want to drive it herself. She feels it is a too much like a sports car and too performance oriented - not a car I would want to take out clients in.

I tried a Jag S type a Mercedes E320, and most recently the Lexus RX330 (wife has a RX300). I think the Mercedes is overpriced and the Jag may have reliability problems. At a little over $30m with no navi I like the price range of the TL and I really like the way it handles.

So, any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be welcomed.

Thanks much, Tom
Drop the wife get the TL and run away with your 27 y/o secretary, only then will true happiness be attained.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Banned

Re: Re: I like, wife doesn't - what to do?

Originally posted by vtechbrain
Drop the wife get the TL and run away with your 27 y/o secretary, only then will true happiness be attained.
27? Don't you mean 19?
Old 03-06-2004, 09:46 PM
4th Gear

Originally posted by TLover
Yeah ... what's all this old stuff? My MOM, who'll be 63 this year, drives a 2002 M3 w/SMG!!!
...just another dudette keepin' up..., heh.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Re: I like, wife doesn't - what to do?

She feels it is a too much like a sports car and too performance oriented - not a car I would want to take out clients in.
If you want it, get it.

Unless you have the type of clients who say "We like everything you said you would do, we like your price, your references are great, but, well, you don't drive a Jaguar or a Lexus. Sorry."

But I can't see that happening.

Mike
Old 03-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Advanced

I'm 55 and plan on getting a TL in the next couple of months. I have a 95 540i that I will be selling and I in no way consider this a kids car. Kid's cars IMHO are Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, WRXs.... ah you get the picture. My wife who is even more acutely aware of the concept of "kid's cars" gives it thumbs up. Go for it!
Old 03-07-2004, 01:24 AM
Racer

I don't understand the issue here. Your wife, afterall, has her own car. Is she demanding that you look your age?

My wife has also told me that she doesn't like my NBP/ebony TL. But, after buying her last four new cars, I told her that this car is mine and that's it. Yeah, she still says she doesn't like it, but she understands that I like it and she is happy for it. Not being a male pig - just a 'give / take' thing for longevity of marriage.

As for age, you are only as old as you the way you act.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:43 AM
10th Gear

Originally posted by 04TLmayB
Kid's cars IMHO are Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, WRXs.... ah you get the picture. My wife who is even more acutely aware of the concept of "kid's cars" gives it thumbs up. Go for it!
I guess no one told Steve McQueen that when he drove his '67 Mustang fastback at 100 mph through the streets of San Francisco in the movie, Bullitt!

Point being, I can't agree with those aforementioned cars being "kid's cars." Also, Carol Shelby is 85 and working on a new Mustang Shelby!

tsinvest:
You're as old as you feel.

And while I think it's reasonable for your wife to remark that she doesn't personally care for the style of the TL, at the end of the day I think it's unreasonable for her to intimate that she doesn't want to see you buy one. That's the mark of manipulation...which ultimately leads to resentment down the road...which ultimately leads to a dysfunctional relationship.

She didn't really give you a good reason for not liking it, other than emotionalism. She also essentially told you that you're too old for this car. I guess that means you're too old to take her dancing (might be too tiring in your advanced years), too old for sex (might have a heart attack, after all), and too old...well, you get the idea.

It's all ridiculous!

If she really MUST be convinced, then she needs to DRIVE the car WITHOUT YOU IN IT! She needs to be made to understand the level of quality, performance, luxury, reliablility and SAFETY the car offers for the dollar! And she needs to understand that there is a growing trend towards making sedans more sporting in style and demeanor - which follows the European trend.

But don't let your wife ride roughshod over your personal choices, particularly when it's YOUR money to begin with. I'm guessing she picked her RX300 without expecting any criticism from YOU!

My 2 cents...

Falconer
Old 03-07-2004, 01:50 AM
Racer

get the tl. if she doesnt like it let her keep driving her rx300. you only go around once man enjoy it. and the juvenile colors probably do piss her off. get a white diamond pearl with parchment. she will come around and you will love that combo in sunlight.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:49 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tsinvest - I believe I truly have the answer for you. Every one of my friends has thought my car oozes "luxury". Every one has commented on this one aspect without my even raising the subject.

How?

I spent approximately $200 for an extremely nice modification to my brand new 04TL. I purchased Desert Mist with Parchment interior, which comes with the very realistic looking simulated burled wood trim. (Note: The Desert Mist may not be the hottest or most sporty color, but it is very practical - it hides dirt really well.)

The modification I made was purchasing an after-market wood trim package.

I installed the wood trim myself, and the results are fantastic! I highly recommend the set that you get from: Exotic Wood Dash. You can view the layout here. I got the full WD541B package with the Navigation option.

I recommend exoticwooddash.com for four reasons:

1) Their price is one of the best I've found.

2) Their layout includes a trim piece in front of the front passenger seat that completes the wood "flow". Other manufacturers leave this passenger area in black (below the aluminum trim and above the glove box) and use a speedometer piece instead that I felt was unnecessary - the speedo area looks fine in all black.

3) They claim that they are the only manufacturer that uses a type of plastic that "heals" itself. If the top plastic coating gets scratched, you can apply a hairdryer to it and rub it a little to make the scratch go away.

4) I lucked out - they actually are just a few miles from where I live (pure coincidence - when I ordered my trim kit, they charged me sales tax, so I found out they were in Arizona). This reason may seem like it won't apply to you, but it does. While I was at their office (very busy!) I saw their staff in action. Their staff is extremely helpful and are very good to work with. They'll give you great service after the sale, at least they did for me.

If you have only been driving with the Ebony or Quartz interiors, they don't have a wood trim option. They tend to look more "sporty". Be sure she sees the wood trim option. Also, I recommend the Parchment over the Camel interior, unless you are getting the Deep Green Pearl or Abyss Blue Pearl exterior - otherwise the Camel looks too yellow, in my opinion.

If you aren't anal-retentive or adventuresome enough, have your dealership install the package. I personally didn't find it very difficult at all (I really enjoyed putting it in ... about 2 hours), but there are some areas that you need to be a little careful installing because the tolerances are tight. The material they used is flexible and allows reseating until you get it right, though.

If you have other questions, let us know!

Here's some pictures (Sorry for the poor quality, I'll try to get some when the sun is out later today and I don't have to use a flash at 4:30 AM)

Old 03-07-2004, 05:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Too old? Hardly. My Dad is 67 and bought a TL just recently. Loves it, finds it fun to drive yet tame enough on the freeway and comfortable enough for my mom (who has health problems, including a bad back).

The TL, like many other Honda products, appeals to a wide variety of people (as can be seen on the message boards)

An RL might be more to your wife's liking but it is a TOTALLY different car (the '05 RL will be a totally new car as well)
Old 03-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Falconer, McQueen drive the 67 Mustang in a movie made in 68 it is now 36 yrs later. Take a look at who drives em and note how many professional 45+ people you see driving them and then try and tell me I am wrong betcha can't with a straight face. In general the few that you do see will get the high hp models for their bang for the buck power as a second car. Hey the Mustangs and Firebirds are fun cars with plenty of power but they lack the sophistication that older people generally look for. Plus most older people need 4 door cars and that is why you will basically see younger people driving them.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:17 PM
10th Gear

Falconer, McQueen drive the 67 Mustang in a movie made in 68 it is now 36 yrs later. Take a look at who drives em and note how many professional 45+ people you see driving them and then try and tell me I am wrong betcha can't with a straight face. In general the few that you do see will get the high hp models for their bang for the buck power as a second car. Hey the Mustangs and Firebirds are fun cars with plenty of power but they lack the sophistication that older people generally look for. Plus most older people need 4 door cars and that is why you will basically see younger people driving them.
Well, in this case you're only half right.

I agree there's a lot of younger people that buy them as "bang for the buck" cars. And I agree they don't offer the same level of refinement as cars like the TL. But they're not supposed to because they're not in the same category. Apples and oranges here, my friend. Mustangs are supposed to go fast and look good doing it - everything else is superfluous to the Mustang ethos.

HOWEVER, get on the internet and have a look at the Mustang Club of America website. Then take a look at their events photo pages. What you'll see there is a greater percentage of people over the age of 40, than under.
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/shows/index.htm

And the new Mustang below will only fuel the nostalgic feelings of the older crowd.

Falconer

Old 03-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by delta
...just another dudette keepin' up..., heh.
The funniest part is I'm 31 years old and I still ask my mom if I can borrow the car.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Advanced

The Mustang Club of America my friend is not a crosssection but rather a skewed grouping of enthusiasts, many with classic Stangs and the balance usually with Cobras, very few, if any V6 or basic V8 owners. I went to one about 8 yrs ago and that is what I saw. But its your basic V6 and and V8 engines that comprise the bulk of buyers and those buyers are the ones that stereotype the Mustang owner as young.

Now the new Mustang that you have pictured might be somewhat of a different story as it is a throwback on the outside to the 69-70 models and might attract some an older nostalgic buyers to its basic V6 and V8 models. Hopefully the inside also resembles the 69-70 model and is not real plasticky.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:42 PM
10th Gear

The Mustang Club of America my friend is not a crosssection but rather a skewed grouping of enthusiasts, many with classic Stangs and the balance usually with Cobras, very few, if any V6 or basic V8 owners. I went to one about 8 yrs ago and that is what I saw. But its your basic V6 and and V8 engines that comprise the bulk of buyers and those buyers are the ones that stereotype the Mustang owner as young.

Now the new Mustang that you have pictured might be somewhat of a different story as it is a throwback on the outside to the 69-70 models and might attract some an older nostalgic buyers to its basic V6 and V8 models. Hopefully the inside also resembles the 69-70 model and is not real plasticky.
That skewed group of enthusiasts of whom you speak constitute a large number of people. The Mustang has the largest following of any automobile in the world. I doubt you'll ever see an Acura TL Club of America that inspires those kinds of numbers or level of devotion - though I'm quick to concede that the Acura is more refined and certainly better built. (I'll have to reserve judgement on the new Stang which is built alongside the Mazda 6 in the same plant and is supposed to be MUCH better built than the current car.)

It's also hard to argue with an aluminum block, three valve per cylinder, variable cam timing V8 that puts out 300 hp and 315 ft/lbs of torque in standard GT trim.

Below are two shots of the interior of the new Mustang. It has a retro appearance, but with high-tech apparatus...i.e. the instrument gauges are '60s in appearance, but illuminated with LEDs.

Robert

Old 03-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Advanced

Tach and Speedo are very remeniscent of the 67-68 Mustang and look great and the shifter looks great but the console with the heating knobs and the radio reeks of cheap plastic. At 25-30, I get the Mustang over the TL, at 55 I get the TL. But I bet that Mustang flys.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Instructor

It's an Acura, not a Porshe! It is sporty and good looking but it's still pretty conservative. (it's based on the accord for christ sake)

I'm 38 and a professional and I didn't give my age any consideration at all. Every one who I've had inside is so impressed they think it's a $50,000 car.

As long as she's allowed to have whatever car she likes, you should get to have what you want.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:23 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the TL now.
Maybe your wife is afraid you will look "too good" inside and will attract competition on the female side
Old 03-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
get the car, its good for the money. I have a 2002 TL-S and a guy that works at the blockbuster store asked how much.. I told him 32k and he said "thats it" Your getting alot car for the money man...

Quick Reply: I like, wife doesn't - what to do?