3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just gave my TL Type S back to dealer after only 30 days of ownership!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 AM
HID Nazi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just gave my TL Type S back to dealer after only 30 days of ownership!

Well, I THOUGHT I found the TL Type S of my dreams. Was a nice CPO 08 ASM 6 speed with black/silver interior. All services were performed, etc.

The car performed flawlessly on the test drive and I asked the salesman if the car has ever been taken in for 3rd gear issues, he mentioned he wasn't even aware of the 3rd gear pop out. Ok, no worries I thought, car drove fine on the extended drive.

Purchase the car on 12/11/2010 w/ extended warranty. I notice vibration at highway speed along with wheel alignment off slightly, called dealership, said they'll set me up on weds 12/15/10 for service complimentary. That day (12/15) I notice multiple times 3rd gear popping out and grinding. I asked the service department if they've ever done the 3rd gear TSB and the manager informs me they have and he'll have his head technician work on it to insure it was done correctly. Reluctantly, I decided to go the TSB route to have it "fixed" correctly, boy was this a mistake.

Drop it off and receive loaner on 12/15/10. Receive a call on Friday that the car is "done" for me to pick up, but the 3rd gear TSB wasn't done since Honda/Acura parts distributor has the parts back ordered until after Christmas. I told the young woman that I was told to drop it off and they'd perform all of the services so that I don't have to come back again. She then informed for me to keep the loaner until everything was done.

I let some time go by to give them the chance to fix everything.

12/23/10: My service manager informs me parts are back ordered and said they'll receive them on 12/29/10.

1/2/11: Receive call asking if they can perform work next week () since they'll be "slower". I said that it's already been 3 weeks, but sure since I want it done correctly.

1 WHOLE week goes by, I receive no updates, call sales manager and speak my case and he says he'll get back to me right away.

1/10/11: Speak with service manager who informs it will be done by Weds/Thurs at the latest.

1/14/11: Receive phone call from service manager who says everything is done and that reverse it a little "notchy" and that it's normal, I mentioned to him that reverse was completely fine and I never had any problems with it. I pick it up that night (Friday) and the valet gentleman is having a problem getting it into the spot for me (reverse). He said it was basically non-existence. I then get into the car myself and reverse WILL NOT engange at all!

I had to have the valet and 2 mechanics push the car into the parking spot. I immediately go to my car sales manager and inform him that I'm basically "done" with the car. It has been a good solid month since I've purchased the car and now that it is fixed, it's not even completely fixed and was insulting to me that they would give me the car back without reverse working properly. The salesman completely agreed with me and said that he's have the GM of the dealership call me the next day (1/15/11).

1/15/11: Instead of waiting for the GM to call me, I drive up there for a face to face chat instead of phone convo. I bring my fiancee with me just in case if I needed a ride home. I was expecting a fight from the dealership about the car, but the GM completely agreed with me and told me that I'd get my $$ back on Monday 1/17/11. I was in shock as I was expecting to have to put up a fight, but the GM said they had the opportunity to fix it right the first time and they failed at that.

I know I could have went the GM Syncromesh route, but being that I just bought this car, I figured I'd have it fixed from Acura and not just a "band aid" per se with GM fluid. I'm now upset about the whole situation since the car I fell in love with is now gone, but I'd rather have a car that runs reliably than something that is aesthetically pleasing. If I do decide to get another TL Type S, it will be Auto as the manual I experienced was a nightmare in lack of better terms.

Sorry for the long rant, but I figured I'd share my experience.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry about your situation. Letting them touch the tranny was your mistake. While the GM fluid works excellent, there have been numerous people who've complained about tranny problems after letting the stealer "fix" the 3rd geard issue.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:55 AM
HID Nazi

I wouldn't call it a mistake since the techs should know how to fix it being it is written out line by line on the TSB and manual. I mentioned to service tech to try GM fluid first and they didn't want to do that. Go figure!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
yea you should have tried the gm fluid first.....that was some long ordeal you went through
Old 01-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
yes i wouldnt say its a mistake as that is what the techs are supposed to know how to do ... sorry about the bad luck, hopefully u land urself a much better tl the second time around
Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
yes i wouldnt say its a mistake as that is what the techs are supposed to know how to do ... sorry about the bad luck, hopefully u land urself a much better tl the second time around
Exactly... if Acura can't fix it then who can??? I see no reason to buy a car and then have to "fix" an issue. OP did right, I could see if this was an older car but he just brought it. Good luck and don't let this spoil it for you, the Type S is fine piece of machinery!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:17 AM
MATT

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
sux! sorry to hear about this
Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Mile High Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same type of situation with a Volvo I purchased awhile back.... Made me never want to buy a Volvo again. I feel your pain and good luck with your next purchase.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
Wow. That's incompentence at its finest. Hopefully you find something as good or better.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:54 AM
BMW 535i

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I hope you will stay with us.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a bad series of events.
Keep searching.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your crappy situation....

So is there a redesigned part to fix this problem? If there is it doesn't seem to be doing the job, I mean with all the engineers at their disposal they can't get it right......
Old 01-16-2011, 03:24 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
OP, i am going to KINDA go on the dealer side in a way

for the time wait cause of parts being on backorder, if you can't get the parts needed (and they know that at least), why even start pulling the transmission apart, and making the car immobile

and considering that they told you just to keep the loaner for the time being, can't complain about that too much, in that they where willing to do that

as far as not even being able to even get it into reverse when picked up, i can understand in that you be pissed about that (and i think it would piss off anyone really) i just hope it does not turn you off of Acura as a brand (and it sounds like the dealer tried to make it up by buying it back from you)(and maybe the tech had an off-day when he did the transmission, i know i do sometimes ; but it should have been second nature to them doing it though)

BTW: you complain about a backorder LMFAO, i ordered a bracket back in August, and it still has not come in, because of still being on backorder , and no sight of when it might actually come off either (luckily it is nothing "critical" to the operation of the car though)

also you say the alignment was off, along with the vibration, where those fixed then? without issues...
Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wanted, I'm glad to hear the GM was so accommodating, but I'm sorry to hear his Service Department couldn't get it right.

Will you look for another Type S?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
shoulda done the GM syncromesh fluid.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by justnspace
shoulda done the GM syncromesh fluid.
, why when it was covered under warranty (which should have at least been fixed right though)(all that does is cover up the issue that is causing the hassle)

and as far as doing something different from OEM on warranty work is a BIG NONO for the dealer (any sort of mod has to be approved by the manufacture, or else the dealer can be denied the warranty claim, and not get paid for it)
Old 01-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
gm syncromesh is not a coverup IMO. Sure it seems so simple that it sounds like snake oil/cover up. But there are guys in the honda/acura forums who have been running this stuff for 6+ years and basically 100% satisfaction with no long term issues.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:03 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
This makes me think I should just do the GM fluid. Very sorry to hear about your misfortune and imcompetent service.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
All I will say is that I would have done the same thing. Im glad you did not the GM fluid thing. Who on earth would by a $25K plus car and deal with that kind of stuff. Also its amazing that the dealership cooperated with you so easily. Im guessing it was a lemon already and they sold it the second time, just to take a chance and see if they can make some money .... Guess it didn't work.

Good Luck with your search now:-)
Old 01-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
That sucks. I can see how you might want to stay away from Acura but they're great cars. I have faith in the product but absolutely no faith in the dealers. Acura dealers seem to be some of the worst in the business. When I did transmissions, it was common sense to shift them on the bench first. Then if they won't shift in the car it's just a simple shift linkage issue.

The autos have become more solid. Just keep in mind if you get an auto and want it to be 100% reliable you will need to replace the 3rd and 4th gear pressure sensors and run a type F fluid right away. Total cost is under $200.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Sounds like a crappy experience, but glad the GM took care of you in the end. Seems like a good dealership. I still wouldn't be turned of from Acura or even the 6MT, especially if you really like driving stick. I think you'll find that the 5AT neuters the car's performance considerably.

And as far as the guys who say they'd want the dealer to perform the 3rd gear TSB as opposed to a $45 fluid swap, this incident is the exact reason I would never let it happen. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing someone was tearing apart the most complex component of my car and quite possibly causing other problems. I've been running GM Syncromesh since 3/09, I've accumulated close to 20k miles since then and I'll go on record saying that it was the best 45 bucks I've spent on the car. Not a single incident of 3rd gear notchiness or popping out of gear; it's the slickest manual I've ever driven.

OP, if I were you, I'd try to find one that has had the fluid swap and drive it for an extended period if possible.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Are they going to do anything for wasting your time?

I would of done the same thing. Sure syncrhomesh might've fixed it but why should you need to go that route?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 TL with M/T – From VIN 19UUA75..8A000001 thru 19UUA75..8A029085
If you want a TL without 3rd Gear Problems from the factory make sure it is one with a VIN# after the VIN posted. Cars after already have the newer parts from the factory according to TSB 08-018
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I totally get it. I would be torqued about it for my entire life and I would never be happy with the car. Money for a TL ain't cheap - you need to be happy with your purchase.

You found this out the hard way, but the techs are code-readers, instruction-followers and part-replacers - they are very few real technicians capable of problem solving and trouble shooting... and they don't usually work at the dealerships anymore.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016

I would of done the same thing. Sure syncrhomesh might've fixed it but why should you need to go that route?

Originally Posted by jda123
I totally get it. I would be torqued about it for my entire life and I would never be happy with the car. Money for a TL ain't cheap - you need to be happy with your purchase.

You found this out the hard way, but the techs are code-readers, instruction-followers and part-replacers - they are very few real technicians capable of problem solving and trouble shooting... and they don't usually work at the dealerships anymore.
or you never work at the dealer to start with, and go straight to an independent
Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 AM
HID Nazi

Originally Posted by friesm2000
OP, i am going to KINDA go on the dealer side in a way

for the time wait cause of parts being on backorder, if you can't get the parts needed (and they know that at least), why even start pulling the transmission apart, and making the car immobile

and considering that they told you just to keep the loaner for the time being, can't complain about that too much, in that they where willing to do that

as far as not even being able to even get it into reverse when picked up, i can understand in that you be pissed about that (and i think it would piss off anyone really) i just hope it does not turn you off of Acura as a brand (and it sounds like the dealer tried to make it up by buying it back from you)(and maybe the tech had an off-day when he did the transmission, i know i do sometimes ; but it should have been second nature to them doing it though)

BTW: you complain about a backorder LMFAO, i ordered a bracket back in August, and it still has not come in, because of still being on backorder , and no sight of when it might actually come off either (luckily it is nothing "critical" to the operation of the car though)

also you say the alignment was off, along with the vibration, where those fixed then? without issues...
You can take the dealership's side if you want. I'm not gonna argue with you on that one, but when the blatantly said that the "Reverse" is normal and then pushing me to the way side AFTER parts came in is when I started to become irritated.

I had more then enough patience with them and gave them the opportunity to fix it, and fix it right at best, but when I got there after a solid month of waiting for the car to be fixed, it was the icing on the cake. Sure, everyone has an off day, but for them to know about reverse before I picked the car up and then expect me to think that it's "normal" (according to the tech) is just plain insulting.

I couldn't tell you about the alignment and vibrations simply because I didn't even get the car out of the dealership lot because I had to reverse out of the spot they parked me in.
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Wanted, I'm glad to hear the GM was so accommodating, but I'm sorry to hear his Service Department couldn't get it right.

Will you look for another Type S?
I am looking for another TL type s, the dealership does have an 07 and 08. but both havbe the beige interiors which I don't like.

Originally Posted by friesm2000
, why when it was covered under warranty (which should have at least been fixed right though)(all that does is cover up the issue that is causing the hassle)

and as far as doing something different from OEM on warranty work is a BIG NONO for the dealer (any sort of mod has to be approved by the manufacture, or else the dealer can be denied the warranty claim, and not get paid for it)
Exactly, as I stated in my OP; I could've done the GM fluid, sure. Why though when this is something that I just bought and specifically asked them about the problem and they said they will not put in the GM fluid, rather tear the tranny apart. The head service tech also mentioned that they have done this before and that it will be done correctly. It was these little assurance things that weren't met that put me over the "edge" per se.

Originally Posted by mani
All I will say is that I would have done the same thing. Im glad you did not the GM fluid thing. Who on earth would by a $25K plus car and deal with that kind of stuff. Also its amazing that the dealership cooperated with you so easily. Im guessing it was a lemon already and they sold it the second time, just to take a chance and see if they can make some money .... Guess it didn't work.

Good Luck with your search now:-)
I am the 2nd owner, first was a lease I'm assuming due to mileage and year. I was surprised that they cooperated as easily too being that I was expecting the complete opposite when I went in and met with the GM. I would recommend purchasing a car from there as their sales department and proactive steps were taken to keep the customer happy. Unfortunately, it was on their service side that slipped up.

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016

Bingo. I'm not looking for blood from the dealership, just to make me "whole" like I was before I purchased the car. :-)
Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
rallye acura ftw they did this TSB perfect. There head tech did mine hes worked there for years and is 1 of the 2 techs that are qualified to work on NSX's
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
what a bum story... sorry to hear about all that. The TL-S 6MT is such a fun little toy!

I feel fortunate to have a full service record 6MT and have no real issues with gear engagement at all (knocks-on-wood). The record states the previous owner brought it in for the third gear issue a few times, but I feel nothing so I wonder what was done at the "Replace Fluid" heading for 24k miles.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
what kind of fluid are u running through ur tranny right now? if its the gm synchromesh that is prob what fixed the problem
Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 AM
8th Gear

no bueno
Old 05-20-2011, 01:43 PM
G Force

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I hate cars
That sucks. I can see how you might want to stay away from Acura but they're great cars. I have faith in the product but absolutely no faith in the dealers. Acura dealers seem to be some of the worst in the business. When I did transmissions, it was common sense to shift them on the bench first. Then if they won't shift in the car it's just a simple shift linkage issue.

The autos have become more solid. Just keep in mind if you get an auto and want it to be 100% reliable you will need to replace the 3rd and 4th gear pressure sensors and run a type F fluid right away. Total cost is under $200.
Could you give us your experience a bit more?

I'm interested knowing why the need to replace 3rd and 4th gear pressure sensor, and run a type F fluid?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
another thread revival from a new user... should be able to search for the pressure sensor replacement and ATF fluid
Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Ugh man sorry to hear about this. I dont want to rub it in but some of the other guys are right you really should have done the GM synchromesh. I know it may seem like a band aid fix but its 100% for real the stuff works and the transmission most likely would have worked flawlessly for you. I wasnt really have any tranny issues in my 08 6mt, but I went to the GM fluid and its soooooo perfect shifting. Trying to fluid first would have for sure been the way to go. Its very difficult to get stuff like this fixed to satisfaction from a dealership.

James
Old 05-21-2011, 12:01 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
in my opinion it was the right thing to give it back to the dealer and find another car. PLENTY of TL's run fine on oem fluids and if yours cant, then something is wrong. yes the gm fluid may or may not have fixed it but when you buy a car you want one thats as perfect as possible, and now you have your money back and get to start over looking for a good type-s.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
interesting thread...

Its funny I have a 08 ASM type s manual---I hope I didnt buy the OP's car !
Anyway---my car had trans work on 1st and 2nd gear over a year ago(according to acura) --when I bought it it had the 3rd gear "notchiness", so I did the synchromesh and the issue went away or was covered up. Shifts much better now. I did grind 2nd gear the other day but I think that was my fault. I rarely if ever miss gears. Been doing this shifting thing for almost 20 years
Old 05-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha2beta
2008 TL with M/T – From VIN 19UUA75..8A000001 thru 19UUA75..8A029085
If you want a TL without 3rd Gear Problems from the factory make sure it is one with a VIN# after the VIN posted. Cars after already have the newer parts from the factory according to TSB 08-018
Mine is way past those and still has the 3rd gear issue, its not as bad as on the other models since it wont pop out, but it doesnt go in 3rd as easely as it should resulting in some grind if your not cautious. The GM fluid did fix the issue.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
I just bought my 2nd 3G TL (this time an '08 CBP 6MT Type-S), both 6MT's, and they never had a problem with grinding. I can honestly say I road the previous one pretty hard, it never hesitated :-D. I think you just had a sprig of bad luck on that, hope this doesn't shun you away from Acura!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:08 AM
2nd Gear

I know this thread is a little old but I came across it during my search for all that is wrong in the third generation TL’s MT, specifically 3rd gear grinding and sticking. I want to make sure I have all of my homework done before I arrive at the dealerships (both Honda and Acura will be seeing me) tomorrow morning. Especially since Acura has had my car since yesterday and they say they have not been able to duplicate the 3rd gear problems I’ve been having, subtly implying user error. Up until now I was sure that I wanted them to fix everything according to the TSB, and I have been working on what I need to do to get to that point. But now after reading some of these stories it seems like by doing so I’d be playing Russian roulette with my transmission. I really don’t know if I could go through with it. I only got my car a few months ago, and like the OP...car of my dreams, a 2008 Acura TL Type S 6MT black on black. We're still in the honeymoon phase and I'm not sure when I'll ever come across another one exactly the same so I think I’ll just take my chances and try the GM synchromesh for now. Unless there is another way? It would be tragic to have the work done and get my car back worse off from when I left it, especially if it was an issue like not being able to reverse. Ironically, my 98 integra had problems getting to reverse at the end of her years with me so when I just got my TLS I thought it would all be smooth sailing and smooth shifting, but then BAM 3rd gear grinds, screeches, sticks, and hisses at me...all of it mainly on the road where plenty of other people are around to witness. Speaking of, on one particular day I was having another disagreement with 3rd gear and could not get it in to save my life. I was going about 35mph as I kept trying to make 3rd gear happen and when I gave it one final good shove in it slipped right in to 1st. Gaaah! That was the only time I’ve ever wanted to crawl out of my own moving vehicle and let it run me over. Sorry to rant but I have been talking to Honda and acura about this for a little while now with very little feedback. Anyway, please let me know if you get your TL fixed and if it comes back in decent condition. I’d really appreciate it. Good luck to everyone else. -T
Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
When I bought my 04 MT a year ago I had them do the synchros before I even bought it, no issues.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM
'08 TL-S 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It seems like using the GM fluid >> fixing under warranty. Perhaps I should look for a car that is prone to popping?

Anyone has any issues with a TL-S made after 19UUA75..8A029085?

Quick Reply: I just gave my TL Type S back to dealer after only 30 days of ownership!