Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got spanked by an E55 today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got spanked by an E55 today!

We all know that our TL's are no match for a car as such as an E55(03-05 model). But I wanted to see this car in action. So I provoked it. It all started when I ran upon the E55 on my way to work. I was crossing the crescent city connection and I passed it up. We both nodded each other as I passed. I constantly stared at the car in my rear view mirror. I admire this car so much. It is my dream car. That is until the next E55 comes out. Anyway as I ducked in and out of traffic I saw him in my mirror do the same. He finally caught up with me and passed me up. So I tailed him in and out of traffic. I made a move from behind him and got an open shot. I floored it and I was at 120 mph before I knew it and still climbing. I was at 120 mph when I looked in my rear view mirror and looked at E55 just getting out of the traffic. He couldn't have been doing no more than 60 mph. When I tell you he walked me down faster than my eyes could eye Halle Berry up and down. By that time I was at 130 mph at he blew pass me as though I were standing still. Man what a car. I know some people on this site are not fans of sedans with that type of power they say if they want that type of performance they'll get a sports car, but I love them. A true machine. Best of both worlds. A brute in a suit. E55 ROCK ON. Just thought I'd share this with you all.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
What I am not a fan of is people going 120-130mph in traffic and bragging about it. Everyone here has said enough about the dangers of doing this that it doesn't need to be repeated, but we're glad to reported this type of behaviour by two obviously adult people in an urban environment.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron A
What I am not a fan of is people going 120-130mph in traffic and bragging about it. Everyone here has said enough about the dangers of doing this that it doesn't need to be repeated, but we're glad to reported this type of behaviour by two obviously adult people in an urban environment.

I would admit that speed is one of my hangups and I must admit I do get a thrill out of running the TL, but there's a difference between driving wild and driving fast. I would consider myself as a fast driver but not a wild driver. I know people that drive fast and wild and that's not me. We gracefully were in and out of traffic without cutting people off and almost causing accidents. Once there was open road I don't see anything wrong with letting it rip from there. I think the speed limits ought to be raised anyway. What's the point of having 469 hp and 516 pound ft. of torque and you can't even use it, or even 270 hp for that matter. Everyone doesn't get a chance to go to an open track to test their car out. That's if there is even one nearby anyway. For that matter auto makers should make all low hp cars just to get us from point A to B.

Oh and by the way I think the other adult was a doctor. We exited off and he pulled into the hospital. Good to see how our physicians these days have a little fun.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:39 PM
TL User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, I raced with the latest model E55 once myself.

There was no traffic nearby, clear sunny day (so rare these days in California)
I am doing very leisurely 80mph in the left lane, when I see the distinctive Mercedes E-Class grill in my rear view mirror closing on me, FAST. I didn't have to guess at that moment, I KNEW it was an E55.

Well, I am doing 80 and am not about to move over. I floor it before he gets too close and soon am doing 100. He closes in me and is two car lengths behind me…. 105… He is considering his options…. 110… He decides to pass me… 115…. He changes lanes and blows by me…. I am now doing 120 and he is pulling away from me… I get to about 125… and decide to call it quits. For me 120-125 is as fast I allow myself to go under normal circumstances. He is doing probably 130-135 at that moment and still pulling away…

As I step off the gas and start slowly slowing down, I can't help but admire the car (as it get's further and further away).

If I could afford it, I’d buy E55 in a second. Very nice looking car…. and fast too....
Old 02-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

and the next time you kill someone? whats your excuse then MORON! what a ridiculous thread! you should be banned
Old 02-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
:lol:
Old 02-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Advanced

first question, WHAT ARE YOU DOING RACING A E55. YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS RACING THAT BEAST OF A CAR. I do agree with you though. The car is beatifull and georgous. I want one so bad, but the sticker is about 95-115k . maybe next time
Old 02-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tjker
and the next time you kill someone? whats your excuse then MORON! what a ridiculous thread! you should be banned
jesus christ!! calm down my man
Old 02-24-2005, 06:24 PM
TL User

Read this page: http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/appndxd.htm and take a valium

any competent driver knows that the maximum safe speed at which one can drive is affected by a number of factors:
  1. the road condition (dry, wet, snowy, icy etc.)
  2. the vehicle's mechanical condition (drive-train, tires, brakes, steering etc.)
  3. the driver's ability (fatique, age, emotion, mind concentration, drug influence etc.)
  4. the traffic condition (dense, moderate, light)
  5. visibility (day, night, fog, snow storm, heavy rain etc.)
These conditions change every minute and a fixed speed limit sign is hardly useful. Collisions occur because drivers fail to heed one or more of the 5 factors above, not solely because a magic number painted on a white sign is exceeded.
Now, I can tell you this: when it's 1) dry 2) vehicle is perfectly operational 3) driver is experienced and fully awake 4) there is no traffic on a straight and open road and 5) it's a clear sunny day THEN 120mph is perfectly safe. No one is going to be killed, so don't worry, relax, take it easy
Old 02-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Instructor

damn someone needs to calm down, no one got killed and its pretty sad that you have to get on to peoples threads and police their behavior, and thats without a u, you idiot.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Missing my Acura's

This must be one of the kids who had to wear the bicycle helmet on the school bus!!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Banned

so i guess it's ok that i was hit head-on at 80mph by someone like this "just having fun" I guess it's ok that one kid will never walk again, and that another is paralyzed for life. judging by the age of people telling me to calm down, you obviously are in denial that "fun" like this takes peoples lives. but thats cool, ignorance is bliss.

and i love your thread, "no one got killed so bla bla bla" get the point smartguy, you don't have to die to have your life change forever.....welcome to reality hotboy
Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by REDLINEN
This must be one of the kids who had to wear the bicycle helmet on the school bus!!!!

lolololol
Old 02-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Advanced

For all you guys that blasted him & will blast him, don't ever go to Germany and drive on the Autobon (SP)
Old 02-24-2005, 06:47 PM
TL Driva

Old 02-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Pro

so i guess it's ok that i was hit head-on at 80mph by someone like this "just having fun" I guess it's ok that one kid will never walk again, and that another is paralyzed for life. judging by the age of people telling me to calm down, you obviously are in denial that "fun" like this takes peoples lives. but thats cool, ignorance is bliss.

and i love your thread, "no one got killed so bla bla bla" get the point smartguy, you don't have to die to have your life change forever.....welcome to reality hotboy
I'm sure that you never, ever drove over 80m, right? Believe me when I tell you that I do not have any tolerance for driving like an asshole when someone could possibly get hurt. But as was stated, in perfect driving conditions, (which is extremely rare these days) 120Mph, is not a big deal.

I'm sorry that you have suffered because of some idiot who doesn't know how to drive. Ranting on a message board will do you no good about it. If it really bothers you that much, there are other avenues that you should take and make a real effort to have something done about it.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Racer

Things can change in life in which you haver no control over. Thats why I have a curfew of 10:30 to 11 pm. I agree there are other things in life that can happen other than just being killed in a car wreck. You cant live life not taking any chances and it would be boring if you never did anything bad ever. NO one is perfect. JUst understand the risk and be sensitive to others. As what ive learned "Dont just learn from your mistakes, learn from other peoples mistakes as well." However im not saying ive never went with some one of the line but I really thought about afterwards about how its not always the smartest. SO JUST PLEASE BE CAREFUL so my parents will let me stay out to 12 this summer. Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting thread..sufall96 Just wondering, do you have an automatic or 6 speed?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:17 PM
信是寶

Originally Posted by Smittymac
For all you guys that blasted him & will blast him, don't ever go to Germany and drive on the Autobon (SP)

Yeah, I just wanted to say something like that! It was a nice little story about someone's learning experience. We don't know the scenario ... how safe it was and whatnot... true, if idiots are racing in traffic or in populated areas - that is just stupid. And 120mph isn't that fast...if you know how to drive!

Anywho, I was in Germany when I first saw the SL55 for the first time - sweet ride. You shouldn't even try to provoke this beast - it is in a different class...just bow your head and give it the respect it deserves.

btw. It's good to let her run once in a while... isn't that why we bought the TL?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:35 PM
TL User

Originally Posted by Tecciztecatl
btw. It's good to let her run once in a while... isn't that why we bought the TL?
Sure is! If you wanna drive 65mph then I hear Corolla gets pretty good mileage
Old 02-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by Slava

<SNIP>

Now, I can tell you this: when it's 1) dry 2) vehicle is perfectly operational 3) driver is experienced and fully awake 4) there is no traffic on a straight and open road and 5) it's a clear sunny day THEN 120mph is perfectly safe. No one is going to be killed, so don't worry, relax, take it easy
1) Bird flies into windshield
2) Deer or other animal runs onto road
3) Tire blowout
4) Unexpected pothole or debris in roadway

You're doing 120MPH on a straight highway, it's dry and sunny, and there's no traffic. Fine. Whaddya do if one of the above COMMON scenarios occurs?

Sorry, anyone driving at those speeds on public roads deserves jail time and a lost license. They also deserve the injuries they will likely sustain in an accident, but they're just as likely to hurt or kill their passengers or others on the road.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggg gh!

Old 02-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ANOTHER Tl vs E55 thread. Pathetic. And while a E55 is BUILT to go over 100mph safely, the TL isn't. The E55 is built for autobahn and the nurburgring. The Tl has seen neither.....
Old 02-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Instructor

My wife got a speeding ticket the other day in our Suburban (she normally drives our TL).
56 in a 35 zone. Well, the ticket is only $142 but because she was 21 mph over she can pay triple ($426) plus $10 court cost to have it 'amended' to a non-moving violation.
I shudder to think if she had been in the TL and opened it up to 120mph. I would probably be baking a cake with a file inside!!
Old 02-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
ANOTHER Tl vs E55 thread. Pathetic. And while a E55 is BUILT to go over 100mph safely, the TL isn't. The E55 is built for autobahn and the nurburgring. The Tl has seen neither.....
Why even read the thread then? You can see the title and I remember your comments on the last E55 thread also. The origianl poster was clearly complimenting the E55 and in no way comparing the two cars. This is not a vs. thread at all. Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jchcmax
Interesting thread..sufall96 Just wondering, do you have an automatic or 6 speed?
Auto. Although I started to use the manual mode but thought about it and said to myself it's not going to help much in this instance. Like I said I just really wanted to see the car(E55) in action.

PS I'm glad some people on here appreciated the thread. Peace!
Old 02-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Racer

btw. It's good to let her run once in a while... isn't that why we bought the TL?[/QUOTE]

Yep! There are other reasons of course but this would be the main one.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by leeherman
1) Bird flies into windshield
2) Deer or other animal runs onto road
3) Tire blowout
4) Unexpected pothole or debris in roadway

You're doing 120MPH on a straight highway, it's dry and sunny, and there's no traffic. Fine. Whaddya do if one of the above COMMON scenarios occurs?

Sorry, anyone driving at those speeds on public roads deserves jail time and a lost license. They also deserve the injuries they will likely sustain in an accident, but they're just as likely to hurt or kill their passengers or others on the road.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggg gh!

Then why even put 120 mph + on the odometer for a domestic car that roams the streets and highways. It defeats the purpose of having it. Cops, officials, and race cars should be the only ones with that type of speed on their odometer for that matter.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Old 02-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Instructor

ya know people get killed everyday, people get paralyzed everyday and im sorry that you had to witness things like that but then i ask myself, what are you doing on a car enthusiasts site, why arent you like weeping over christopher reeves or something
Old 02-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Advanced

ckckckc...i think TL are no E55...maybe we could compare to E500..that will fair match..!!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Advanced

If you guys are so set against anything going over 70 because you claim it is dangerous, what do you think about driving 140+ on the autobon, where it is legal?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Advanced

E55 is nice...but correct me if I'm wrong it doesn't come in stick.

If it had to be a 4 door sedan it would have to be a M5, otherwise I'd be in a M3.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by anitosi
ckckckc...i think TL are no E55...maybe we could compare to E500..that will fair match..!!
This thread was not started to compare the TL to the E55. There is no comparison. You are talking about comparing a BEAST(E55) to a fast kid right out of college(TL). This thread just explains me having a little fun with a car as such. It was more of me admiring the car than anything.

It pays to read.

PS. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not going to make any moral judgements for or against driving fast but some things to consider:

Everyone who drives on the autobon knows about the lack of speed limit and thus implicitely assumes the risk of a fast moving car colliding with them. Not such the case in the US. If you're driving on the US highway, theres the reasonable risk of being hit 50 - 75 mph by someone else in the "shit happens" category but one does not have an expectation to be hit by someone going 100+.

People who drive straight - no line changes - maintain distance at 115 may be "safer" drivers than those going 50 and weaving in & out of traffic.

But on the "why does the odomoter even go to 120" question, maybe this deserves its own thread, but its an interesting series of questions.
What is the fastest legal speed limit in the US? Probably 75mph? So why would an auto-manufacturer allow their cars to go over this speed? They could put a speed regulator on to top it out at 75 (or so) mph. And by not doing so, and by showing speeds of 110 - 200mph on the odometer are they encouraging people to drive fast, or being complacent in people doing so? If one can attempt to sue a gun manufacturer for misuse of the gun, can one sue the auto manufacturer for mis-use of an auto? And the "mis-use" of the auto i think is a more valid argument than mis-use of the gun. Guns in this country are legal, and the purpose of a gun is to shoot someone/something with the high likelihood of serious injury or death. The guns sole reason for existence is to harm. Now the purpose of an auto is for transportation within the speed limits; so the auto industry in my opinion has no real reason to allow their vehicles to go to such great speeds. So in my opinion by not limited there vehicles they are being at the very least complacent in auto accidents, and at the most encouraging them by continously making cars faster & more powerful every chance they get.
There are exceptions to this line of reasoning -- bringing your car to a track for instance. But in that case maybe the solution is a speed regulator that can be turned off only for those "exceptions".

Now I'm not advocating the auto industry regulate top speed to 75, since I myself would like to bring my TL over 100 when I get the chance to (that chance will happen on a day when theres nobody in the left lane and its not raining/snowing and the only risk will be to myself). But nonetheless I think logically/legally the notion of mandatory speed regulators make sense (in the context that other industries have been held responsible when their products are knowingly mis-used or used correctly with bad results).
Old 02-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLNJ
E55 is nice...but correct me if I'm wrong it doesn't come in stick.

If it had to be a 4 door sedan it would have to be a M5, otherwise I'd be in a M3.

It doesn't come in stick but I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I know that most of the true enthusiast prefer manual over auto but if you look at Motor Trends latest comparo The E55 is still faster. They stated that the number BMW was trying to beat was the 469 HP by whopping out a full 500 HP. But what they also mentioned was the BMW 394 lb ft. of torque was no match for the E55 516 lb of torque. The E55 is still slightly faster even with it being an automatic. Now they also mentioned things like the BMW felt lighter on it's feet and handled the twistes better but that's just a Beemer being a Beemer. They all handle well, but that has nothing to do with Auto vs. Manual. Bottom line is in this case you'll find yourself working yourself to death with the joystick on the Beemer while the E55 driver looks over at you with a grin with both hands on the wheel and a half car length in front of you.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:29 PM
iLL TL 4U2Try

just wondering sufal what's the most you did on your TL? or anyone else
Old 02-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by iLL TL
just wondering sufal what's the most you did on your TL? or anyone else
142 or 143 mph give or take. It was still climbing but my exit was coming up.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:51 PM
iLL TL 4U2Try

Originally Posted by sufall96
142 or 143 mph give or take.

the most i did was like 148... do you know if the TL cuts out at a certain speed?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:59 PM
信是寶

Autobahn!

Originally Posted by Slinks
But nonetheless I think logically/legally the notion of mandatory speed regulators make sense (in the context that other industries have been held responsible when their products are knowingly mis-used or used correctly with bad results).

First to the above posts, it's Autobahn; an autobon is a dispensed candy. :gheylaugh:

We are able to drive with no speed limit there because people are educated in proper driving rules. This is not the case here in the US, as getting your DL is a joke ... no offense. We have to take many hours of instructions and then pass an in-depth test. If everyone follows the rules, driving at high speeds is safe structured driving.

And in response to the regulator that is just plain silly! It is not safe but dangerous. What if you gotta get on it and get out of harms way, merge with traffic or pass someone you need that burst of speed and cannot be regulated. Bad idea...that could get me killed.

Let’s use the “passing lane” for passing, pass on the left and use our turn signals. Those left lane lurkers ...

AARRGGGHHH!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by sufall96
Then why even put 120 mph + on the odometer for a domestic car that roams the streets and highways. It defeats the purpose of having it. Cops, officials, and race cars should be the only ones with that type of speed on their odometer for that matter.
The Federal government tried that once. I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember the 85 MPH limit on speedometers from the seventies through the eighties. I think it was done to encourage more economical driving.

The top speed printed on a speedometer isn't relevant to this thread. 120MPH is fine on a track or closed course, but it's irresponsible and reckless on public roads no matter how you try to convince yourself otherwise. Remember kids, just because your car can do 150MPH+ doesn't mean that you SHOULD do it.

I *strongly* encourage those of you with something to prove to do so on a closed course of some kind. I hope to get my TL to the dragstrip once, this year, to get some 1/4 mile timeslips. It'll be fun and safe. I race my '69 Dodge Dart periodically, and I even took my former '93 Toyota Camry V6 XLE down the track a few times.

Feh...what do I know. I'm just an 36 year old geezer...

Quick Reply: I got spanked by an E55 today!