Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I GIVE UP, My 07 Type S is traded!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I GIVE UP, My 07 Type S is traded!!

First, let me say I have been a loyal Acura Owner for the past 20 years. Here is a list on Acura's I have owned.

1987 Integra
1989 Integra
1991 Legend Coupe
1993 Legend Sedan, Totaled and saved my life!!
1994 Legend Sedan
1998 SLX, We moved up north and needed a 4 wheel drive.
2001 TL Type S
2004 TL
2007 TL Type S Traded!!

My Wife has also had 2 Honda Accords and 4 Honda Odysseys.

I bought my 07 TL Type S last January. It has been back to the dealership 8 or 9 times in the past 8 months for a variety of reasons. The main problem was the rear suspension. We all know what that problem is. I spoke to Acura Client Services a couple of dozen time. They told me the noise in the rear suspension is not a defect, it is just a loud suspension. The Regional Service Manager drove my car and told me mine was louder due to the 18 in wheels. I have factory 18 inch A-Spec Wheels on the car. I could not live with this problem. Acura was not going to do anything about it accept replace a few bolts and a dampener. No compensation, nothing. To top it all off the last time I brought my car in they chipped one of my A-Spec Wheels.

I GAVE UP!! I just could not drive a car I have come to hate. Acura has lost a very loyal customer and they could care less.

This is what I had.....

And this is what I just bought.....

If you are thinking of buying a new TL, you owe it to yourself to drive the G35 Sport. I wish had because I wouldn't have bought the TL Type S. Yes the TL Type S has a very nice interior, but the G35 Sport has a much better ride and a lot more creature comforts. It cost me about $7K to trade my Type S for a new G35 Sport. The money doesn't matter. Piece of mind does.

I would like to thank everybody for all of the valuable information I have gathered on this board. You ever know I may be back some day...
Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 PM
aw1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice....Good Luck with the new car. Gotta admit, Acura service sucks!!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Damn bro sorry to hear your situation, but at least you're happy now with your G35 S. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea man, peace of mind is everything. The G35 is looking sexy! did the G35 come with that much tint on it when you bought it?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,395 Likes on 4,074 Posts
At what point did the suspension noise occur? Obviously during your test drives there was no noise. What did the Acura people, to whom you spoke, have to say about the noise that just started to happen out of the blue?

It's ridiculous that Acura couldn't make your car right. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new Infinity more anyway. It's probably a better car overall.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:35 PM
B A N N E D

damn that sucks. gl w the G35 though
Old 08-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Pro

Level, we'll miss ya.

Best of luck with the new car.

Personal opinion time......
I LOVE the G...think it's gorgeous! I looked at it too before I bought the TLS. Only thing that stopped me was that RWD+305 HP in the north (snowbelt) just aint a good recipe for safety. And so I drove the AWD G too. I was a bit disappointed in the performance after driving the Sport trim with 6MT. Also didn't like the look of the "plain" car vs the sport trim. But if I lived where you do, I would have your car in my garage instead of the TLS.
Not that I am disappointed in my TLS, but the G is really a fine car too.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Visionary Styles Crew

congrats. great looking car.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
good luck and congrats on the G. Maybe we'll see ya come back when the 4G TL comes out
Old 08-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
you mean you had a 04 TL and it didn't have the same problem but 07?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pttl
At what point did the suspension noise occur? Obviously during your test drives there was no noise. What did the Acura people, to whom you spoke, have to say about the noise that just started to happen out of the blue?

It's ridiculous that Acura couldn't make your car right. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new Infinity more anyway. It's probably a better car overall.

Good luck.
I had a clunking sound in the rear suspension right away. I opened a case file with Acura Client Services a couple of weeks after I bought the car. The dealership told me right off the bat the noise was normal. The clunking noise is very well documented on this site.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/04-supercharged-tl-150981/

I did everything I could. ACS told me that there is no chance of them buying the car back or any other compersation. At that point I gave up.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ankur914
Yea man, peace of mind is everything. The G35 is looking sexy! did the G35 come with that much tint on it when you bought it?
I had this tint added to the car. 35% all around.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
isnt there a recall on the type S suspension, because i had mine in for some servicing, and the dealer kept the car because he had to change some suspension parts ...
Old 08-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Thats too bad, I haven't really had a problem with my TL except for the NavTraffic not coming up. But congratulations on the new car, I've always wanted a G but the sedan just wasn't growing on me and I'm sick of coupes.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:32 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by aw1
Nice....Good Luck with the new car. Gotta admit, Acura service sucks!!
i have to disagree the service I get for my acura has been excellant- it was starting to get a slight rattle-fixed first time (knock-on-wood). had my cracked foglights replaced free along with a headlight that a-hole scratched while it was parked in a mall parking lot. guess it depends on the dealership-i must be lucky.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:38 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
i have to disagree the service I get for my acura has been excellant- it was starting to get a slight rattle-fixed first time (knock-on-wood). had my cracked foglights replaced free along with a headlight that a-hole scratched while it was parked in a mall parking lot. guess it depends on the dealership-i must be lucky.
It does, dealership & advisor is everything....
Old 08-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Acuras Only in

Good luck and hope you to see you back here once in a while ....

G35s will be my second car ... hopefully in the near future ... LOL
Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

Congrats. The G35 is a nice car.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Race Director

nice trade in!!!

i'm also sick of acura service and their lack of it. they can never locate my rattle in my car and i keep telling them its in the drivers side window.

i would be pissed too! hope infiniti gives you good service! now can you please tell us which car you thought felt more nimble, faster, and better performance? also, the only down i heard is the bad fuel economy of the new G35's is this true? did you get better gas mileage on the TL-S or G35s?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:56 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats too bad the type s is a nice car, well anyways good luck with the G35!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
nice trade in!!!

i'm also sick of acura service and their lack of it. they can never locate my rattle in my car and i keep telling them its in the drivers side window.

i would be pissed too! hope infiniti gives you good service! now can you please tell us which car you thought felt more nimble, faster, and better performance? also, the only down i heard is the bad fuel economy of the new G35's is this true? did you get better gas mileage on the TL-S or G35s?
I have only had the car since last Thursday. I would say the G35 handles better than the Type S. As for power I don't know yet. I haven't got on it yet, still breaking it in. The ride is very very quiet. Even going over bumps.

The interior feature blow away any car I have owned, including the Type S. The NAV is better, the Bluetooth is more advanced. I even like the thicker steering wheel. Like I said in my original post. I wish I would have driven the G35 Sport before I bought the TL. I would saved 7K and a lot of aggravation.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Instructor

I feel you. I also wished I would have driven the g35s BEFORE I bought my type-s too. I bought an 06' last june and traded in jan for they type-s. Both have there problems. The type-s just doesn't seem that the dealership can get anything right with it. They did find the rattle in the back which was caused by the wiring harness, but yet to find a solution on the squeaky brakes. They blame me for the squeak. They say its because how I drive or I don't clean the wheels often enough. Too tell you the truth for as much as you pay for Acura you expect it to be flawless after they have had plenty of years since 04 to get things right in the TL. I will soon follow you in probably getting a new g35s. I have driven them since I bought the type-s and dammit I wished I would have gone with infiniti. Better acceleration for one thing and luxury on the other. I just knew that Acura couldn't get anything right and I seriously doubt they will in 09' as well. While I was up at the infinti dealership I had a few people coming up to me and talking about my car since they were on the fence of going with the TL or G sedan. I told them that the TL is nothing but a rattle box and service sucks. They went with infiniti. Good Luck!! Sorry about flaming.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xx06SickspdTlxX
Thats too bad the type s is a nice car, well anyways good luck with the G35!
I beleive the Type S is a very nice car. I just think mine had problems that Acura didn't want to deal with. I went to two Acura dealer. They were both a 45 minute drive each way. I was just spending too much time trying to get this problem fixed. I just had enough...
Old 08-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Let's Go Pens

Is there really a recall on the Type S suspension? I have only had mine since march but I have 13,000 miles on it and I have not noticed any problems. I actually think the ride is pretty smooth for it being a sport suspension. I agree Level the G sport is a hell of a car, I'm with Burbs though the rear wheel drive just wouldn't work for me in north jersey. Maybe If I move back down to virginia i'll get one! Best of luck with your new car though... any plans for mods?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Racer

Good luck, Levelpar1, with the G35S. It is unfortunate that you had those experiences with Acura. It is easy to see how your opinion of the TL-S would have soured as a result. No car is perfect and neither is the company that stands behind it, but you should have seen better service, in my opinion. For the record, the TL and the G are about equal in terms of reliability (according to sources like Consumer Reports), so I hope you have better luck this go around...

I'm not surprised, either, that the G might seem more impressive - it has more hp, a bit more torque, and an overall throatier exhaust note. From everything that I've read the TL-S has a more refined engine and gearbox, and a bit smoother ride quality - virtues that reveal themselves over time and not necessarily the kinds of things you would notice and appreciate on a test ride or praise over the short term when comparing one against the other.

My question is whether you considered the IS350?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
+1
your not lucky, i get excellent service from Acura as well. your going to hear about sour experiences w/ dealers alot more than you will positive ones.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Sorry to hear that you had to part with your TL-S. I debated long and hard between the TL-S and the G35-S. In the end I choose the TL-S for reliability and it's interior. The G's interior never really impressed me. But that's just my 2 cents.

I do crave the rwd and extra hp though. Good luck with the new ride!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Racer

Just curious...did you consider or test drove a 335i?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Lol...I worked at Infiniti doing service/parts...its not even funny how many of the new G sedans came in with various problems. Good luck with it.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rifleman-cl
Just curious...did you consider or test drove a 335i?
I did drive the 335I. Great car, but the $48,000 price tag was a bit too high. It was also on the small side.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:55 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

I guess thats why they say that you shouldnt buy the first year of a certain model or the last. Hopefully in 08 acura should have most of the tl type-s kinks worked out and solved!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:00 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

thats too bad....i haven't had any problems with my 05 TL...

you basically made a lateral move......I probably would not got a G35 cuz I never liked them...

but its all in the eye of the beholder.....good luck with your G35
Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Levelpar1,
You've made me actually go to an infiniti dealership to test drive a G35 sedan after reading this.
And let me tell you, performance is excellent on the G35 no doubt! but I didn't like the interior at all, i thought it was very cheap, too much plastic and the doors are so light compare to the TL. The exterior looks really nice, but I am not used to the interior at all.

I'll stick with my TL.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Geez, now I gotta go out and buy a G35 Sport! Your TL-S is the one that sold me on the 18" A-specs. I even went out and got 35% tint, just to be like you . Now I gotta go out and spend more money on another car? The wifey isn't going to like this one bit! LOL

Hey man, enjoy the new ride. Thankfully mine doesn't have that suspension problem. So I'm a happy camper and I'm keepin with what I got.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:16 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Levelpar1,

I read this thread earlier this evening and then went on g35driver.com and saw the thread you made on there. The last couple of weeks I have been finding myself on that site more and more. I really came to admire the car's styling, drivetrain, and competitive pricing to the TL. I may pick one up sooner than later. Just have to wait and see what the 4th gen TL looks and performs like.

It's a shame after owning so many Hondas that you made the switch. Hopefully it's for the better and the G35 is relatively problem-free. Enjoy the car.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Evader
Is there really a recall on the Type S suspension? I have only had mine since march but I have 13,000 miles on it and I have not noticed any problems. I actually think the ride is pretty smooth for it being a sport suspension. I agree Level the G sport is a hell of a car, I'm with Burbs though the rear wheel drive just wouldn't work for me in north jersey. Maybe If I move back down to virginia i'll get one! Best of luck with your new car though... any plans for mods?
There is no recall that I have ever seen. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). Two completely different things. A recall Acura is required to notify buyers and fix the problem - usually a significant safety issue.

Notification of a TSB is not sent to the buyer - you basically have to show up and complain about having the problem. The TSB's give the service reps information on the diagnosis and solution for the problem.

There is a list of TSB's here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154245
Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
GL with the G35. I gotta say, I like the styling of the coupe a lot better than the sedan. That aside, the G35 gets lots of props, so I'm sure it's a great car.

So far, my TL-S is doing well but of all the issues that pop up here, the Thump in the Trunk is one I fear most.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If I was rich enough to get a G37 it would not be a manual. The fruit does not fall far from the tree might apply if you read this link. Before I got my Accord I was very interested in Nissan products because of the motor but so many manual tranny issues with the Altima and Maxima turned me away.

Ihttp://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2005-2006-nissan-altima-se-r-discussion/252280-clutch.html
Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

The G is beautiful, best of luck...
Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

As usual everyone is comparing the TL to the G like its in the same class. Good Choice levelpar1 its a good car . No one seems to understand tho, its a smaller car more compared with BMW3 and Lexus IS and Acura TSX for size and handling. I'm thinking about doing a Volvo S80 V8 next after my TL-S, its maybe time for a change.

Quick Reply: I GIVE UP, My 07 Type S is traded!!