3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't believe this sh!t 08 ASM totalled with 505 miles ODO?????????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't believe this sh!t 08 ASM totalled with 505 miles ODO?????????????????????????

I'm out of ranting energy. I think...

I was driving back home from work doing about 30 on the far right lane of a average 3 lane street (6 lanes total). This dude (tinted window and fucking sunglasses) and his wife was stopped at a stop sign. There is no stop sign or traffic light on my road. I kept my speed at 30 mph and when I was about 15 feet away from the intersection the dumb fuck guns his 2000 silverado trying to go through the intersection. I had no choice, swerved to left with my foot on brake.......

PUFF!!! there goes my air bag and our cars stuck together in the middle of the busy street. no one was injured and we exchanged infos. I filed a claim already with Geico (we are both Geico holders how funny, or not)....

I was involved in a not at fault accident 1 month ago where a van pitted me on the highway doing 65, totalled my 1st car (owned for 6 years with spotless record).

The ODO on my 08 TL has 505 miles and I was suppose to pick up my license plate and the registration stick from the dealer tonight... yeah my 08 is THAT NEW! I just hope the car is not totalled by any means...

Old 10-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Old 10-25-2008, 03:43 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
oh man!! Those punk a$$ drivers!
Old 10-25-2008, 03:47 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. I've seen way worse accidents at 30mph.

New bumper, headlight, hood, random crap underneath plus paint shouldn't be more than $2.5k.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:51 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope you have gap insurance if it is totaled. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
+1 for GAP.

Damn, sorry to hear this. Terrible luck for sure. Let us know what the insurance says.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Racer

Sorry about your car. Can't really tell from the one pic if there is significant damage. Is there damage to your motor or drivetrain? Are there "wrinkles" on the roof panel?

Some additional pics from multiple angles would be helpful. One word of caution, THE INSURANCE COMPANY IS NOT YOUR FRIEND in a situation like this.......
Old 10-25-2008, 04:23 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
especially when its a loose loose situation with them being the insured on both sides
Old 10-25-2008, 04:28 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
$9k bill

see if you can get a type s front end... Ie. oem type s front bumper and foglights with type s grill

as for fault, clearly it isn't yours as you had the right of way and the other person failed to yield to the stop sign, so no worries

ps. get ur car fixed by an independant body shop do not let geico "certified" shop do the work, they cut corners to save money

Last edited by stillhere153; 10-25-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Geico will provide you with a list of "authorized" repair shops upon request. It's worth it to have a look at it.

My wife rear ended someone with our brand new Oddyssey and the Geico adjuster assessed the damage at $1800. JM Lexus in South Florida was on their list of authorized repair shops so I took it there. The total job cost over $4400 to repair at Lexus, and it came out looking as if it were never hit. Geico paid the bill less my deductible.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Old 10-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Advanced

this makes me cringe as I too have a brand new TL sitting in my driveway...>200 miles. the exterior damage is probably about 4-5K i think. Plus replacing the airbag puts you at probably 9K total. They definitely won't total this since its a new car unless there is some major structural damage that we can't see from those pictures.

Good luck man and make sure to get OEM parts when they fix it. If they have a dealership for acura as a certified repair shop, take it there.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Life Long Acura Fiend

Damn i feel for you. I'm going thru an accident as well. Good luck with everything.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:24 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

definitely need a new hood and a new passenger side fender, new bumper new headlight, new air bag

I say 9k because they need to paint the entire front of the car and also have to get new frontal impact sensor and also there might be some underlying suspension problems like an abs light... vsa light and all that good stuff
Old 10-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yikes!!! I'm not an insurance adjuster but it dosen't look totaled. Hope they can fix it quick for you.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Instructor

I'm taking the car to http://vandergriffcollision.com/default.asp this Thursday or Friday. I'm in the DFW TX area. If anyone knows a reputable shop around I will swing by in a heart beat to get some estimate... The car doesn't look totalled at all to me. still drives the same (a little more engine noise than before, very minor) alarm, ac, powers, displays all work fine I think.. but man why am I going through stupid stuff like this ?!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ze2o
but man why am I going through stupid stuff like this ?!
its called life my friend. shit happens.

sorry to hear about your accident. im glad you and your passengers? are ok.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Advanced

First of all, sorry about the car! It's painful to look at a TL that's been in an accident, much less one this new.

Second, you probably already know this, but when you meet with the GEICO adjuster at the Guaranteed Repair Shop (GRS) or AutoRX, they're going to "recommend" that you repair it at that faciility or at another GRS/AutoRX that's close to home or work. DON'T!

As another poster already said, and from my own personal experience, the GRS shops are more often than not crap, but not always. They do cut corners and will typically do the bare minimum for safety and function, and aesthetics is third on their list. If there's an Acura dealer that already has a repair shop in your area, then you should be ok. But, if not, go and research either on this forum or maybe a BMW or other high-end car forum to look for expensive quality shops.

The adjuster will insist a GRS/AutoRX but you can take it anywhere you want that's licensed. Plus, GEICO will insist on aftermarket parts. They will get you parts from the JC Whitney catalog if they can find it. Thankfully, cars like the TL and others are usually too specialized for mass market aftermarket parts companies to sell parts; usually it's cars like the Civic, etc.

A couple years ago, I was in my safely/legally parked '03 Altima on the street when a chain reaction of 2 other cars hit me from behind and ruined the trunk/bumper/rear quarter panel area. It was still drivable but when I took it into the GRS, the shop that examined it and then worked on it botched the job. The paint job came out reasonably OK but they were never able to properly align the trunk from the rear quarter panel and the bumper was never really flush with the rear QP. Plus, they never even bothered fixing a gaping, exposed metal area on the trunk lip where the accident completely ripped off the paint. They just gave me a bottle of touch-up paint and told me to fix it myself. The last, worst part of it all, was that the whole repair took a week in the shop to complete. I took it in on a Monday and, on Friday, they called me at 5p to pick it up, just as they were closing. After I drove off, I noticed that the driver side rear light assembly was totally disconnected (the right side was the damaged area) and drove right back to complain and bitch about it. Enterprise had to pick me up at the shop again since my car wasn't street legal b/c of the disconnected lights. Well, long story short, not only did the GRS refuse to apologize for their mistake, they refused to pay for any of the 2 extra days in my rental car b/c they were not open on Saturday and Sunday!

Another short story, in March of this year, my coworker's husband was driving their 1 year old TL when he was rear ended by a stupid chick in an older Tacoma - slammed right into him about ~20 mph at a red light. The whole rear end of the TL was gone, from the rear window on. The car was in the shop for about a month and when she finally got it back, she noticed that the hatboard (the flat shelf by the rear window) was sloping at an angle, when it's supposed to be FLAT! The shop kept making excuses and I don't think it's been resolved to this day! And that was another GRS! (She was also a GEICO insured.) Also, my friend's TL, an '06 6MT (she bought it new about summer '07) suffered about ~$12K in repair costs and about maybe ~$10K in "diminished value" because of the accident, maybe more so if the shop can't fully fix the hatboard area.

From looking at the pics, it doesn't look like your car is totaled, but then again the adjuster would have to make that determination. "Totaled" means that the repair costs exceed a certain min. % of what the car's current value was immediately before the accident, based on mileage and the pre-accident condition, etc. Each company is different and I want to say it's around 50%, I'm not sure. You want the car to be totaled because, unless you're upside down on your car loan (assuming you have one), you can get a new TL! (Hopefully only if they have any remaining '08s in your area ) If there's aluminum componentry/chassis parts that are damaged but are hidden from view, then the repair costs go up significantly. Aluminum parts, esp. those that are bonded to the steel chassis, are extremely expensive to fix. We've heard of brand-new BMW 5-series sedans that have been in a seemingly minor T-bone accident where there was damage to the front door and fender area where it was totaled because the firewall, which is aluminum, was warped.

Third, do you have renter's insurance on your GEICO policy? Considering your bags deployed, your car doesn't look anything near drivable. It's called Loss of Use (LOU) and, if you have the basic coverage, you'll be good for about $25/day. If you upgraded to the "premium" LOU coverage, I think it's for up to $50/day. The joke about this coverage is that this will cover about the size of an Aveo as your rental; anything bigger you'll have to pay for out of pocket. So if you can get a Cobalt or something bigger at a much cheaper rate say through Hotwire or if you have a friend who works at a car rental agency, get the better deal, pay out of pocket, and submit the receipts to GEICO so they can subrogate the muthrfckr who did this to you. Oh, and I think now GEICO offers a cash-out of the LOU so if you have another car you can use/borrow, you can just pocket the cash that would've gone to Enterprise RAC. Check with your adjuster/claims rep on this.

Fourth, if you use a non-GRS/AutoRX shop, esp. if you're on friendly terms with their adjuster, you can probably get them to order the TL-S front end for your car. I doubt there's too much of a price difference, if any. I'm not totally sure on this but I think that as long as the person who did this to you has sufficient coverage on their own policy, or that they have a job, the insurance company will just subrogate whatever charges back to the offending driver anyway so nothing comes out of the insurance company's reserves to pay for this. Now if your car was parked on the street and someone hit your car and ran away, with no witnesses, your insurance company would have to pay you out of the reserves from your policy - they eat it and have no one to send the bill to - so they would be more likely to cheap out on the parts and would question the charges more carefully esp. if your'e not using a GRS/AutoRX. But fortunately the muthrfckr who did this to you will have to pay, out of pocket or thru garnishment and if he doesn't, he will lose his driving privileges until he starts to pay. He'll also have to pay for your deductible on this.

Lastly, you might want to consider the "diminished value" your car will have even after all the repairs have been completed perfectly. DV is the difference between the same car with no accidents and what your car will be worth after it's been fixed. It's usually several thousand dollars but insurance companies are loathe to discuss this and even more reluctant to pay this out. You might try googling this or check out a car insurance forum. To get out of this, assuming your finances are ok, you might consider trading your car in to a dealer and swapping it out for another new '08 TL before this accident shows up on Carfax. Just tell them that you wanted another color. Considering your car is pretty much brand-new your losses shouldn't be that much.

Again, sorry about the accident but good luck with the repairs!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Man, that bites. I feel for you and your new ride. I can only imagine how much your heart sank. Hope it all works out well for you and you get the car back as good as new.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
damn dood that sucks. it's HIS fault. you should have no trouble cus HIS insurance should pay the whole bill :P
Old 10-25-2008, 07:39 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Hmm... my guess is $7k - $8k is about right on point

Bumper
Hood
Fender
Headlight
AirBag
Pulling on the frame machine
Painting
a bunch of brackets, clips and bolts

As long as your radiator didnt crack, shouldnt be an expensive repair

AND looking at that damage. car should drive good as new when you get it back...
$8k max
Old 10-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
GEICO Sucks

Just a point, if I may;

With any luxury car my own experience is you're far better off in the long run to let a premium insurance carrier (ie., State Farm) write your car policy. What little you save going with the various discounters is apt to bite you in the butt on claim day.

With our previous car (Lexus) State Farm did not provide us with an el-cheapo list of "approved" shops. Instead they simply told us to take it to the Lexus dealer and get it fixed. We didn't even have to bother getting estimates and the repair was close to $6k. Similarly the rental car was there waiting for us and it was no midget wind-up car. They sent Enterprise over with a almost new full-sized Camry. We've been with State Farm for 35 years and been extremely pleased with the outcome whenever we've needed them.

I'm sure GEICO is a good company, but I also think youl generally get what you pay for. I would not want to be in your shoes right now with GEICO on both sides of the claim.

Sure sorry about your accident, though. What a bummer. I'd be in tears.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:18 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
nice diagram, i totally understand the accident. the guy driving in the silverado was juss impatient and thought his car was fast enuff to make that left turn b4 u came. he had bad timing judgement. he was prolly juss trying to impress his wife in the car. that sucks a lot for u. even if its not ur fault, and u dont have to pay a penny to fix it, ur car kinda loses the whole "brand new" meaning, no matter how well they fix it.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
that car will never be the same, and your brand new car is now worth less...i would argue with the adjuster since its not your insurance company and see if they will buy the car from you so you can get a new one....you might want to check with your insurance company and see if they can help with this....
Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 PM
DuDeChEwY

damn that sux man.....hope you get the car fixed as soon as possible
Old 10-26-2008, 09:59 PM
I fixed the glitch

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot
Just a point, if I may;

With any luxury car my own experience is you're far better off in the long run to let a premium insurance carrier (ie., State Farm) write your car policy. What little you save going with the various discounters is apt to bite you in the butt on claim day.

With our previous car (Lexus) State Farm did not provide us with an el-cheapo list of "approved" shops. Instead they simply told us to take it to the Lexus dealer and get it fixed. We didn't even have to bother getting estimates and the repair was close to $6k. Similarly the rental car was there waiting for us and it was no midget wind-up car. They sent Enterprise over with a almost new full-sized Camry. We've been with State Farm for 35 years and been extremely pleased with the outcome whenever we've needed them.

I'm sure GEICO is a good company, but I also think youl generally get what you pay for. I would not want to be in your shoes right now with GEICO on both sides of the claim.

Sure sorry about your accident, though. What a bummer. I'd be in tears.
I agree 110%. I've heard too many horror stories of discounter insurance companies. I pay extra for my Allstate but they have taken care of me well in the short time I've been on the road.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your misfortune... best of luck to you and safe driving to everyone.... glad you weren't hurt
Old 10-26-2008, 10:19 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

next get one with NAVI in it!!!

ps - allstate is one of the worst insurers.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Advanced

allstate has been nothing put awesome to me. totaled my honda, had a check within 7 days. super fast assessment and my agent is the man...drives a TL also!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:41 PM
I fixed the glitch

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xen-cuts
next get one with NAVI in it!!!

ps - allstate is one of the worst insurers.
While I respect your opinion, they have been nothing but great to me. Reasonable rates and fast service are things I come to expect from them. I've been in one accident where I totaled both vehicles. No issues with getting the money and my rates were not outrageous (for a 16 year old driving a Jeep). In fact, my rate did not go up at all.

Speaking of rates... my Grand Cherokee V8 Limited cost more to insure than the TL. Gotta love it.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 AM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
man, that sucks. But I must say, your drawing is awesome
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Carlito Benito
I agree 110%. I've heard too many horror stories of discounter insurance companies. I pay extra for my Allstate but they have taken care of me well in the short time I've been on the road.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your misfortune... best of luck to you and safe driving to everyone.... glad you weren't hurt
Back before my wife totalled our Lexus 2 weeks ago (flooded underpass) I used to visit the Lex discussion groups. What never ceased to amaze me is the number of owners of these magnificent cars who think absolutely nothing of dropping 30-large (or more = Lexus) for a fine upscale auto, then want to pour panther piss in the tank & shop the bottom-feeder insurance companies.

The auto insurance companies are not all the same by any stretch of the imagination and unfortunately the major differences aren't immediately apparent until you have a substantial claim. No question I pay more for State Farm than I would with GEICO or Progressive, etc., but with SF I take comfort knowing that my ass is covered when the fit hits the shan and some lawsuit-happy ambulance-chaser is on the other side of the table.

I would never leave State Farm, not even if GEICO, Progressive, etc. was free.

Last edited by Cap'n Preshoot; 10-27-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

honestly geico has been nothing but trouble free for me

October 2006 purchased an 05 350z, with 20k miles on the odo for $14k ( yea I got hooked up )

February 2007 my friend was driving in the early morning, the ground has some mist, he mistakenly revd a little to high and spun the rear tires causing us to hit a parked car, 350z totalled, $20,000 (as they valued the car with 23,00 miles) check was written and delivered in 3 days AFTER the accident by geico, the adjuster saw the car the next morning

April 2007 purchased an 07 TL-S, full coverage with geico, payments remaind the same

October 2007 while at an intersection waiting for the light a female off duty cop, traveling at around 60mph (in a 30mph zone), slammed her brakes behind me (in a base model nissan maxima 05, NO ABS), I saw her, hit the gas pulled the ebrake spun my car 90 degrees, and she slammed into my driver side quarter panel pushing me 50 feet on the opposite direction, all air bags on the driver side deployed except for the steering wheel, repair bill was $13k, $12,500 after deductible, it took 1 full month for the car to be repaired

the shop i went to I was reffered by a few people, it was in the middle of nowhere, but they did a damn good job... it took 30 days because their local acura dealer which they get parts from FUCKED UP their order for parts and kept sending them parts for a an o6

Last edited by stillhere153; 10-27-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude I Had the same thing happen to my car And I thought it was going to be around 2.5k too.... the bill turned out to be 6,600 bones. all those little parts add up real quick!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:20 PM
"Like None Other"

damn that sucks! glad ur ok....ur cae is nowhere near totalled. I can almost guarantee that. Get it fixed at ur acura dealer if possible and she will be as good as new!!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:30 PM
So Slick, bugs dont stick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry bout your loss man...
Old 10-27-2008, 04:29 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
its no where near total. But it is def. going to be pricy. Sorry man.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
ouch that hurt.... that is still fixable.... but will cost ya, the airbag diployed so you'll need to change out the airbag, the SRS brain and the seat belt. you might also want to check for frame damage. if you can see it and fix it, it's good the problem lies with the hidden troubles you can't see.... did u file any police report?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Instructor

hey guys/girls thanks for all the support. I have been with Geico for two years and if they can get this car fixed to brand new condition in timely fashion I have no problem staying with them.

I just called Geico and the other party has accepted the fault (he better). I have rental set up already with enterprise, the same place I got my first rental for my first total less than 1 month ago how funny.

The geico rep asked me to have my car towed to service king repair center for estimate and repair but i felt cheated at that moment (besides all the commercials i see on tv i have no clue how they operate or if they are up to standards). I told the rep that I want my car to be towed to
http://vandergriffcollision.com/ the north repair center since i think they'd do a better job. the rep said it's fine and a tow truck driver will call be within 24 hours to have the car towed there where the geico adjuster will estimate...

here is the question; should i give http://vandergriffcollision.com/ a call and tell them to be expecting a repair and "be buddies with them" or should i just wait for the tow truck to show up at their door with my broken TL? i don't want geico to play any tricks on me during this estimate/repair process if you know what i mean.

at least i'm one step closer to get the car back (like new hopefully)

what's the best thing for me to do now? i can take my car to a lexus/bmw repair center for a 2nd opinion quote. is that necessary?

thanks so much for been on top of my dilemma, much much appreciated ...
Old 10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Instructor

yeah my seat belt is stuck at the precollision position now. i guss that's suppose to happen after air bag deployment

I was on the phone with 911 operator and the first thing they told me is to get out of the f##@ing street. 2 minutes later the city sent in an ambulance to tell me to get out of the f#$%ing street. 1 hour later an officer showed up did sh!t for me. I wasted copious amount of siliva that day with Dallas PD with negative result ... lesson learned is that unless you kill someone or someone killed you Dallas PD is not gonna give a sh!t

thanks so much for been on top of my dilemma, much much appreciated ...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Go to griffin or whatever its called, you have to fill out a form authorizing them to tare down the car so when the adjuster gets there the damage is plane and clear

It will also speed things up a great deal, from your pics I can tell they will remove the fender hood headlight and a few of the sensors upfront and they will write up an estimate for the adjuster to approve

Adjusters are usually buddy buddy with bodyshops but you really have to talk to the shop manager to make sure the adjuster agreed with their recomended repairs and not what they feel like

Quick Reply: I can't believe this sh!t 08 ASM totalled with 505 miles ODO?????????????????????????