Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am so pissed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am so pissed!

I took my car on its first-ever road trip yesterday... Hartford, CT to Boston and back. My car has 2000 miles on it and today I noticed a nice star crack in the windshield and a big ding/chip right in the front of the hood. Ugggghhhhhhhh.

Also, does anyone else notice that the driver's door sill actually retains the impression of your elbow if you rest it there for to long? I went out this morning, and there's still a depression from where my elbow was resting yesterday.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

Yeah I find this with the centre arm rest ... its normal though cos its new leather but not sure how you can retain that tight finished look for too long ... try looking at scotchguard protection for that.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:56 PM
now with 7 gears

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BG74
I took my car on its first-ever road trip yesterday... Hartford, CT to Boston and back. My car has 2000 miles on it and today I noticed a nice star crack in the windshield and a big ding/chip right in the front of the hood. Ugggghhhhhhhh.

Also, does anyone else notice that the driver's door sill actually retains the impression of your elbow if you rest it there for to long? I went out this morning, and there's still a depression from where my elbow was resting yesterday.
As far as the windshield goes-- that's why I would invest in a low comprehensive insurance deductible. Pay a $50 deduct and get a new windshield, and you'll never really worry about getting chips in the glass again.

Also, if it's a small enough crack, you might even be able to get it repaired for free. I know 21st century and a couple other insurance companies cover for minor window chip repairs. The chip has to be smaller than an inch or so to be repairable, IIRC
Old 07-07-2005, 03:46 PM
10th Gear

I also have the indentation on the drivers side door. Right where my elbow rest. It was really bad in the cold during winter. It is slightly better now in the warmer weather.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:08 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by Viscous
As far as the windshield goes-- that's why I would invest in a low comprehensive insurance deductible. Pay a $50 deduct and get a new windshield, and you'll never really worry about getting chips in the glass again.

Also, if it's a small enough crack, you might even be able to get it repaired for free. I know 21st century and a couple other insurance companies cover for minor window chip repairs. The chip has to be smaller than an inch or so to be repairable, IIRC
Exactly what I was going to post. AAA (michigan) also fixes repairable chips/cracks on the windshield for free. I also have my comprehensive deductible set at $50, so I don't worry about the shield cracking...

I don't have the indentation problem; probably because I rarely rest my left arm on the sill. I have my right arm/elbow always resting on the center console, and no indentation there, either. I think it's something the warranty will cover, though.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:06 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I used one of those $9 DIY windshield repair kits from Autozone on an old car of mine and the results were just plain amazing considering the price. With a new car I would definitely seek a pro to do it. They have the right equip (like UV lamps to properly and quickly cure the resin) My repair was great for an old car with a pitted windshield but a new TL deserves better.

You might want to cover the star crack with clear packing tape until you get it repaired or make another decision. (wipers will go right over it) This will keep contamination out of it that would otherwise make the repair less effective.

Goot Luck.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:15 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BG74

If you resist from placing your elbow on the door panel for several weeks the indentation will completely go away. Some have received new door panels (warranty) after complaining... The new panel will do the same thing...