Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this hurts..

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this hurts..

I got a Ticket this morning at 6am driving from College Station, Texas to San Antonio, Texas. going 92 in a 65. yes, 27 over. In my friend's 2005 TL. i just felt the need to share because it was my FIRST ticket..ticket is for $290. sympathizers welcome..
Old 08-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You were driving dangerously and exceeding the speed limit. You took a risk and got an apparently deserved ticket.

Why would anyone sympathize?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Mofo

Originally Posted by leeherman
You were driving dangerously and exceeding the speed limit. You took a risk and got an apparently deserved ticket.

We've all done it, we know its dangerous, and the risks involved...but we still do it.

I feel for you man
Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by maluskills
We've all done it, we know its dangerous, and the risks involved...but we still do it.
It's true that most of us speed at one time or another, but we don't usually brag about it and expect sympathy when we get a ticket.

BTW, I haven't had my TL faster than 80 or so except on a dragstrip. It felt very nice at those speeds.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Banned

atleast one person knows how it feels to have your blood pressure rising at the same rate as your speedometer.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
no sympathy from me. you're lucky you're in tx. here in cali they would be harsher. just be glad you didn't kill or hurt anyone. hope your friend doesn't lend you the car after this incident.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:47 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
It's true that most of us speed at one time or another, but we don't usually brag about it and expect sympathy when we get a ticket.

BTW, I haven't had my TL faster than 80 or so except on a dragstrip. It felt very nice at those speeds.
So driving 80 MPH is OK, it's still speeding. I guessing from what type of cars that you do drive, that you have other cars ABOVE 80 MPH on the road some time in your life.

I got my first ticket in 13 years this past spring, 79 in 65. The TL is my first V6 it's hard not to drive over the posted speed limit. But with I pay more attention to what I'm doing.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I know how that feels... I got clocked at 90 in 65 in Iowa last year. I was on my way back to Michigan from a weekend-long driving event, so I was a bit high on adrenaline.

I had to drive all the way back for a 4-hour driving class. But the ticket was dropped, so I got away pretty easily. I love driving long distances in my TL, anyway; it's a great highway cruiser.

Call a lawyer, sign up for a driving school, if they offer such a program in your state, and get the ticket reduced/dismissed. Don't just pay it. You will be fucked for the next 2-3 years.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Cruisin'

Damn, I thought they pulled your license if you got a ticket for going that fast under 18. I know I got read the riot act for going 80 in a 65 when I was 17. Were you on 21 or I-35?

Dunno if you can go on deferred for a ticket like that (I know its too fast for Defensive Driving), but it will keep your insurance down if you can. If/when that ticket hits your record, $290 will seem cheap.

If you're going to speed anyway, I'd reccomend purchasing a Valentine One. It sounds like it might pay for itself sooner than later.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Banned

I was on 21
Old 08-04-2006, 12:29 AM
6speed NBP

Kids theres are some stuff you should keep to yourself. Before you get flamed! not that am flaming you right now, just wanted you to know.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:02 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I've had my '04 TL to 100 on an open stretch of the 295 Richmond bypass, early one Sunday morning around 6:00 AM. - no one in sight at the time. Handles fine and feels like it belongs there.

Mind you, I have not had a moving violation since April 1971!
Old 08-04-2006, 06:50 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I've had my '04 TL to 100 on an open stretch of the 295 Richmond bypass, early one Sunday morning around 6:00 AM. - no one in sight at the time. Handles fine and feels like it belongs there.

southernboy? april 1971? aren't you like 17 years old? LOL! :P
Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by zainzb06tsx
I got a Ticket this morning at 6am driving from College Station, Texas to San Antonio, Texas. going 92 in a 65. yes, 27 over. In my friend's 2005 TL. i just felt the need to share because it was my FIRST ticket..ticket is for $290. sympathizers welcome..
Ouch! I suggest get a lawyer to dismiss the ticket for you because of your age. I just had my lawyer take care of my $172 ticket. Doing 42 in a 30. EEK!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:13 AM
04 NBP 6MT

You have got to be kidding me. College Station to San Antonio is flat as a pancake with excellent sight lines and very little traffic. Driving 155 might be considered dangerous, but anything under 120 is probably reasonable in good weather.

Also, speed limits are set to make revenue for Big Brother, not safety. Back in the 1940s and 50s when they were set, they probably made sense. However, with today's improved suspension, brakes, and other technologies, they could be SAFELY raised, and in fact when they were raised from the stupidly low 55 about 10 years ago the accident rate (accidents per million vehicle miles travelled) did NOT increase.

The most common types of accidents are angle and rear end, which occur at intersections. Speed has nothing to do with them, except in rare cases. What does cause them is DRIVER INATTENTION.

So shut your chalupa hole or come correct with some facts before criticizing.

Sorry about the ticket. I know how hard it is to keep an awesome car like the TL below the arbitrary speed limits.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Safety Car

Chill man.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Racer

dang, i got 2 tickets with my previous tiburon. so now whenever my friend tries to get me to smash, i don't because you never know if a cop is gonna merge on the next on ramp and bust ya. sorry about the ticket man, my first ticket i ever got i was able to take some stupid all day driving class and it got waived. but yanno i figure, i drive a nice car so why not drive slow enough for people to enjoy it~
Old 08-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Cruisin'

Hey I agree with your_mom driving at those speeds on the highways in TX is perfectly reasonable. As the Germans have proven on the Autobahn which is the safes roads per miles driven.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:42 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 06_TL
here in cali they would be harsher. just be glad you didn't kill or hurt anyone.
Oh, yea, just ask Mel Gibson, how harsh is it when the police give you a ride to pick up your car after they've held you overnight to sober up after a DWI? and it's your 2nd one, and you've been pulled over numerous times before for dangerous driving.

Many of these posts here are offensive. 'Call a lawyer'. Seems no one wants to be accountable for their actions anymore! I know we all speed at one tiome or another. Wondering if the owner of the car was in the car. I wouldn't appreciate a friend driving my borrowed car at those speeds, esp a 16 year old.
Rant over, surprised by all the slacker comments.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Ouch! I suggest get a lawyer to dismiss the ticket for you because of your age. I just had my lawyer take care of my $172 ticket. Doing 42 in a 30. EEK!
You break the law, you get a scumbag lawyer to get you off and you feel good about this? I imagine you were driving 42mph though someone's neighborhood where kids are playing in the streets.

If you are going to speed and get caught be a man and pay the piper. At 16, the fine should be tripled so you get the idea that this is wrong.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:45 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
No sympathy from me either. It's usually 'kids' in your age group the drivers and victims when they show the mangled/totalled beyond imagination wrecks of high speed crashes on the news where most if not all the occupants were killed.

Now you know why insurance for under age 25 drivers is higher in most states. Having this ticket on your driving record at your age is the way to go kiddo !!!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jonnyn
You break the law, you get a scumbag lawyer to get you off and you feel good about this? I imagine you were driving 42mph though someone's neighborhood where kids are playing in the streets.

If you are going to speed and get caught be a man and pay the piper. At 16, the fine should be tripled so you get the idea that this is wrong.

LOL sad. 42 in a 30 and not in a neighborhood isn't bad. It was on a main drag that is actually too slow that everyone goes over 40 in. Should be 45 mph speed limit.

For one I am 32 years old, and rarely get tickets. I have a Lawyer friend that takes care of it for me. So I don't have to worry about it. I still had to Pay $225 + Court fees.

I have a excellent driving record and since I have been driving I have only had 3 tickes total.

And for the 16 year old kids sake, TEXAS HIGHWAYS, people drive 90 on. They are long, straight, and open with not much traffic. Speed limit on some are now 80mph in the rural areas.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:06 AM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Based on the age, I would not sympathize, only because I think that this is not the first time you sped excessively. This is just the first time you got caught. If you can honestly tell me that this is the first time you've sped, then by all means, I'll eat my own words.

It would be different if you were driving for at least a few years and then got busted because you got careless just once. But alas, this is not the case, I think...
Old 08-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Advanced

Damn, give a kid a brake, he was speeding on a TX highway. Not like he was speeding through a neighborhood full of playing children while drinking a six-pack. Sorry you got a ticket, it sucks and is expensive, be carefull and learn from the experience.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:30 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rough crowd today....

Actually it's good to see folks not condoning speeding though,,,, but... As mentioned by fellow TX residents, 90 may seem fast for some but I can attest that during our trips to south TX - Padre Island area, I would be doing 85 and still would not be keeping up with traffic... I have also had numerous friends, "officers of the law" admit that in regards to safety - you are safer driving with traffic vs slower than traffic. But, speeding is speeding.

Bottom line, w/exception to the hazard you may be to other motorists / pedestrians,, whether keeping up with traffic or not, if your speeding you must accept the fact that you are breaking the law and accept the fact that if caught (or worse heaven forbid), will have to face the full extent of the law.

No judgment here but no sympathy as well.. I do however appreciate you taking the time to let us know the cost of a 92mph ticket in TX...

I'm a 75 or less kind of guy here in North TX.. Having a new Corvette and no speed limit in MT several years back was fun though......
Old 08-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by zainzb06tsx
Can't say I sympathize with you, because I got a ticket for doing 74 in a 50 in a construction zone, which was a $495 violation

And before I get flamed, I went back with a video camera, and was able to prove that their were inadequate signs informing drivers about this construction zone... ie, I took a route from downtown onto the freeway, to the place I got ticketed, and showed there were zero construction zone signs, becase the sign was posted at the freeway interchange, not the freeway on-ramp.

And for the record, I have no idea why this freeway is only a 50 zone, as everyone (including cops), regularly drive 70-75 on it. It must be a money-tree, because the last several weekends, I've seen a swarm of at least a dozen motorcycle cops hiding on the on-ramp, while another cop sat on the guardrail laser-tagging cars with one hand, and radioed the waiting swarm with the other.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnyn

Last time I checked, many states have 25mph limits in residential areas, not 30. So this was most likely not in a residential area.

When my wife went to court, there were people there contesting all sorts of rediculous tickets. One lady was convicted of speeding, doing 38 in a 35. Another lady got a reckless driving ticket for driving on the wrong side of the road, even though she was actually passing a truck, in a legal passing zone. Cop claimed he didn't see any truck.

I bet next you are going to argue, that back in the day, black people should've stayed in the back of the bus, and continued using different bathrooms, because it was the law... After all, break the law, pay the price, right?

The thing that annoys me most, is the continued use of the phrase, "Speed was a contributing factor....". Such bs.... When NHTSA records data, everything gets listed as a corrolary, but corrolary does not equal causality. You can be drunk, speeding, run a red-light, and smash into somebody. And speed will get listed as a contributing factor, even though the cause was being drunk and/or running a red light.

If 55 is such a "safe" speed, that anything else would be reckless, why is the USA pretty much the only country in the industrialized world with a speed limit this low? I've had co-workers that are here in the states on business complain about how low the speed limits are....

The problem is not with speeders. The problem is with idiot drivers. I watched a news piece the other day, where they were saying that aggressive driving is a big problem, should be stopped, blah, blah, blah... Well you know what? I don't condone aggressive driving, but I don't think aggressive drivers drive that way for their health.... Just yesterday, on my way home from work, there were two cars pacing each other in the left two lanes of the freeway, doing 10 under the speed limit. Changing more than 1 lane in 3 seconds is considered aggressive driving here, and is a ticketable offense.... However, nothing is done with the boneheads driving 10 under in the left 2 lanes of a freeway.

Another time, I honked at a lady that was doing 20 under in the far left lane of the freeway inside the tunnel. She actually slammed on her brakes, came to almost a complete stop, then flipped me off Since cars were zooming by, I pretty much had to floor it, and fill the tunnel with tire-smoke to avoid getting smacked.... I'm sure many would've looked at that, and thought I had a fit of road-rage....

OK, I'm done ranting now...
Old 08-04-2006, 04:55 PM
05 TL

I never speed on 21... Well that is a lie...

If the speed limit changes to 65... You had better be going 65...

All those stupid cities... Is it really necessary to go 30 mph in Caldwell... No, its for the cops to give tickets to college students that didn't notice that gay speed limit change.

I would take 21 to texas 304, and then take I10 home to san antonio. Still cops. But at least I limit some of the slower zones.

Just be careful not to get any more tickets.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Cruisin'

You tell them avs007! Couldn't agree more.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Yeah I don't quite get where all the moralizers are coming from. If they truly are going the speed limit every day the've driven since 16 then I can see their argument. Going 5, 10, 15 or what ever above the speed limit is supposedly against the law so I shouldn't expect anyone to condem anybody for speeding because everyone speeds.

I understand about TX highways, very straight and the flow of traffic is usually fast (around 80s mph). However, >90mph is getting dangerous, especially your age (inexperienced driver). I'd be careful next time. If this is your first offense, get a lawyer to try to work something out for you. I think it may unavoidable for your insurance to take a hit but maybe the infraction can be reduced
Old 08-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Knock on Plood!

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy

You got me beat there, SB. My last was in 1974 but I was on my 10 speed bike on Lauderdale Beach. It was for busting a red light. But, I took it to court and beat it after a trial.

Not that I haven't exceeded the speed limit once in a while: I've had the TL up to 125 MPH on the Florida Turnpike. I just haven't been caught.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Instructor

What hwy were you on? Hwy 6 is bad for cops I get pulled over all the time going from Hempstead to Fort Worth. Seems after CS your good to go but damn they are harsh before that.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Instructor

FYI our hwy limits are 70-80mph
Old 08-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Racer

I don't think it's an issue of moralizing as much as it is of responsibility. Yes, everybody speeds, some more than others, we do this by choice. If you speed enough, you will be caught, but whining that it's the governments fault or the police's fault is BS, they didn't make you speed, you made that choice, now you have the bear the responsibility. If you don't like the laws, do something to change them, until then, don't whine if you get caught breaking them. BE A MAN!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Animal Whisperer

To add to the mix, I got nailed for 88 in an 80 (I10 on the way back from Albuquerque to San Antonio, was about home in Sutton County) and the cop (tx trooper) that got me was set up in an ideal spot. Radar went off, brakes engaged, still nailed me w/the instant on setup he had at my cruise control set 88 mph. He was old and said "son, as far as *I* am concerned, 80 miles per hour is even too fast, especially in YOUR car". I didn't want to argue, but man was I pissed that he threw that in.

I'd been chugging along at 120 every now and then without any problems on the way up... When I was passing 18 wheelers, etc. Point is that the car handled fine despite the cross winds. 88 was like a walk in the park considering how dumb I was being going up there. In short, to confirm what some have said, speeding IS speeding and way back when I was in a class where someone got ticketed for 1mph over the limit.

On a final note, try to arrange deferred adjudication by phone or defensive driver's training, etc. Your ticket WILL show up on your driving report otherwise and it will very likely affect your insurance premium for up to three years. I was able to get Sutton County to do deferred, so now I'm on probation for 3 months, but beats the heck out of 3 years of paying for my dumb mistake. That and I'll drive more conservatively than I would otherwise for 3 months :)
Old 08-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by avs007
I bet next you are going to argue, that back in the day, black people should've stayed in the back of the bus, and continued using different bathrooms, because it was the law... After all, break the law, pay the price, right?
First of all, I doubt that your parents, grandparents and great-grantparents were ripped out of their homes, thrown into the desert just for the color of their skin. Moreover, I doubt that you've adopted a 2day old African-American baby and endured all the racism that this country can offer. So don't go there JACK.

I have no moral issue with speeding. Shit, I do it everytime I get into any of my vehicles. Who can drive a TL and resist mashing the pedal.

My issue is that if you choose to go over the speed limit and get caught, don't go hire a lawyer to get you off.

There are so many accidents where "kids" just don't know how to drive. If they want to run themselves into a tree and kill themselves, then fine. But many times other innocent people are taken with them.

The morality of this country is lawyer based with no regard for taking responsibility for your actions.

If you don't like following rules or paying the penalty if caught, I suggest you find a country void of rules and go there. Anarchy will put a whole new spin on your outlook.

Oh yeah, OJ was innocent too.......
Old 08-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Advanced

I went 135 once.
She was still pulling well too.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:22 PM
B A N N E D

Speeding is stupid in da hood and awsome on the highway to see whatz under da hood .....................

Highways are engineered to handle traffic at speeds much greater than the posted limit. While breaking the law is a risk one takes when speeding for it to be unsafe there have to be other vehicles in your way, slowing traffic flow and traveling something like twice the posted limit.

110 in a 55 is taking a chance, going 90 in a 55 is something a vehicle like ours has no problem doing safely without other vehicles around..............

VIVA AUTOBAHN
Old 08-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gauravp123
southernboy? april 1971? aren't you like 17 years old? LOL! :P
You're a good man. I am mentally stuck in my 20's.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Xpditor
You got me beat there, SB. My last was in 1974 but I was on my 10 speed bike on Lauderdale Beach. It was for busting a red light. But, I took it to court and beat it after a trial.

Not that I haven't exceeded the speed limit once in a while: I've had the TL up to 125 MPH on the Florida Turnpike. I just haven't been caught.
A bike! Wow, that's interesting.

Fastest I've ever drive a car was 132 (on the Capital Beltway around the DC area in my 1966 396 Chevelle). Fastest I've ever been in a car was 144 in my younger cousin's 1967 427/435 (L71) Corvette.

Both times were crazy nuts and I thank God no one was hurt. I've learned my lessons.