Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hpde

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hpde

Who does DD and HPDE here? Would you recommend a base TL or TL-S? Base TL would be modded with wheels, tires, brakes, suspension and bolt ons.

I know the base TL weighs close to 3500 Lbs, is that a hindrance or power makes up for it?

I wanted to like the 04-08 TSX but found it to be underpowered for almost 3300 lbs.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
strip the car! the car will fly if you strip it
Old 11-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
You're looking for a daily drivable sedan at the price point of a TSX, that's reliable and robust enough to track, and is not underwhelmingly slow?

Well...it doesn't exist.

Fast sedans cost $$$$ and will kill you with maintenance. Some may say that an EVO or STi is a fast sedan within reasonable cost. But let me point out that both those cars are absolute shitboxes. And that "within reasonable cost" would need to be applied in a very flexible way.

I don't think you'll have better luck with a TL as compared to a TSX.

There aren't any winners or losers in HPDE. So really, a successful HPDE platform is something that has a reasonable consumable cost, good reliability, and is reasonably competent at turning/braking. Tons of slow cars are HPDE heroes.

The TL will have a higher consumable cost than a TSX...and it's fatter, longer build will make for more car to need to throw around.

A TSX is about the size of a 2006-2011 Civic. It's a bit heavier than the civic because it has a double wishbone suspension and some luxury aspect to it. It's a good chassis, however...and the engine has tons of potential. A Euro R LSD trans would add massive amounts of potential.

If you want something more raw, have you considered a 08-11 Civic Si sedan?

There have been quite a few success stories with CL7/9 HPDE builds. It's got a lot of great starting points. What did you feel it lacked? What exactly was unsatisfactory about the TSX? How many times did you track it, and did you spend much time on setup or tuning?
Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 05 Si (suspension, brakes , tires and wheels) that I track currently. The TSX felt much heavier (it is) and lethargic to change directions when compared to it. I did not drive the TSX at the track, just some spirited drive on canyon roads to understand its capability. I think what you are saying is right, getting a right mix of secondary (revised) DD and some HPDE days may not exist due to compromises needed on each end.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend of mine, Bret, races a 3G Tl in autocross and SCCA events and does really well. He calls it his "race whip". Here's a story about his car: The YAWSPORT TL - Bret Norgaard's Race Whip - apexjunky.com

Maybe you can get some ideas from the race whip. His company is Yawsport and he's located outside of San Diego. I'm sure he could build you an amazing car if your serious. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by 9000revs
Who does DD and HPDE here? Would you recommend a base TL or TL-S? Base TL would be modded with wheels, tires, brakes, suspension and bolt ons.

I know the base TL weighs close to 3500 Lbs, is that a hindrance or power makes up for it?

I wanted to like the 04-08 TSX but found it to be underpowered for almost 3300 lbs.

Thanks.
I've done winter autox and autox with my TL, it does well compared to other FWD cars but it's a heavy car like you mention. You can really feel the weight. My HPDE track weapon is my Acura Integra DC2, I really recommend looking for an older 90's Hondas for a track car, ton's of parts, easy on consumables and reliable. Although a TL would make you stand out if that's what your after. You can track any car and the TL would be fun