3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How tight is your front/back spoiler/air dam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How tight is your front/back spoiler/air dam?

Hi all,

I'm finally going to pick up my A-spec TL after 4 days at the dealership to get everything installed.

An initial observation of mine is that the dealer installed front and back underbody spoilers/air dams don't fit that great. The front and back are okay, but the sides of the spoilers separate from the bumper. It looks like they use double sided tape or glue to get the sides to stick, but it doesn't work that great. The fit and finish of these spoilers should be a lot better.

Is everyone's add-on A-spec spoilers other than the trunk decklid, to their satisfaction? I don't think mine will be.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:31 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

side skirts are usually supported with double sided tape as are some aftermarket front/rear lips.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I completely agree with you alin2. Its been almost 2 months now and that is one thing that really bugs me. They seem so flimsy (sp?), like they could be pulled off. I am planning a trip to my dealer next week so I will ask about this. Also, since you have the underbody kit, have you noticed a slight color difference between the actual body and the kit? I have anthracite metallic and recently noticed a color difference in the paint. Upon inquiry to the dealership, I was notified that this occurs b/c paint appears slightly different on plastic than it does on metal??? Thanks in advance for any comments related to the paint issue...
Old 08-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alin2
Hi all,

I'm finally going to pick up my A-spec TL after 4 days at the dealership to get everything installed.

An initial observation of mine is that the dealer installed front and back underbody spoilers/air dams don't fit that great. The front and back are okay, but the sides of the spoilers separate from the bumper. It looks like they use double sided tape or glue to get the sides to stick, but it doesn't work that great. The fit and finish of these spoilers should be a lot better.

Is everyone's add-on A-spec spoilers other than the trunk decklid, to their satisfaction? I don't think mine will be.
I was not happy with my front spoiler when I got the car and took it back. They readjusted it, but it still wasn't perfect. After reading a post by PeterUbers, where he re-fit his, I did the same and now it is perfect. See if you can find his post. Basically, it's pretty easy to re-do the tape on the sides of the bumper. By using some more tape and being careful with the placement, it can come out perfect. One tip if you try it - start from the front and work your way to the wheel. It made a difference when I re-did mine.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by sepatel
I completely agree with you alin2. Its been almost 2 months now and that is one thing that really bugs me. They seem so flimsy (sp?), like they could be pulled off. I am planning a trip to my dealer next week so I will ask about this. Also, since you have the underbody kit, have you noticed a slight color difference between the actual body and the kit? I have anthracite metallic and recently noticed a color difference in the paint. Upon inquiry to the dealership, I was notified that this occurs b/c paint appears slightly different on plastic than it does on metal??? Thanks in advance for any comments related to the paint issue...
I noticed the same thing. Rear bumper looks slightly darker. Mine in SSM also.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
even my factor stuff is crap - panel gaps measured with a ruler, color off by a shade, etc.

So it wouldn't surprise me that the add-on A-SPEC stuff doesn't fit well...
Old 08-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
There is DIY thread collected by Garage. You could try to fix it yourself if you want.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

I picked up the car yesterday and I have to admit that the dealership did a pretty good job. The sides now are flush. My salesperson told me they used a heat gun?!!? and more double sided tape. Clearly, the add-on underbody spoilers can look pretty nice if someone spends the time on it.

I looked at a couple of TL's in the showroom with the underbody spoilers with huge gaps.

So, my advise, if you get the underbody spoilers, INSIST that the dealership to a good job putting them on...especially for the price we pay for them and installation.

BTW, the NBP has no noticable difference in color between plastic and metal.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Another reason for Acura to split the A-Spec kit, or make it a factory-installed option instead of a dealer-installed option. $5-6k for (in part) a dealer-installed kit that doesn't look like it fits? Please.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

No doubt it should be a factory installed option.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

i went to acura and asked how much it'll cost for the a-spec spoiler...
they told me $968 dollars (canadian)... i calmly walked out and yelled What the hell!?!..
how much is it really worth.. like how much would you guys pay for it?