Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much should I offer for this '08 Type S

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How much should I offer for this '08 Type S

I found someone who is selling their 2008 Acura TL Type S, Auto, around 50,000kms, NBP (Black).

The car is in Good/Excellent condition. There is some curb rash on the wheels on one side of the car (I will need to replace these two wheels). Generally in excellent condition overall, little scratches and imperfections here and there.

The car has been in a couple minor accidents.

I'm considering purchasing the car, but I'm not quite sure how much to offer. He is accepting offers at the time and hasn't given me a price.

How much would you guys offer him in my position? Would appreciate your help!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:41 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
$20,000 USD at most....convert that to canadian
Old 08-30-2011, 01:41 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
^wrong. Canada prices on cars are a lot more expensive than US cars.

Replace wheels cause of curb? How about painting them? Cost less.

How "minor"?

Tell him to offer a price. If he doesn't, give him 5k lower than the KBB/Edmunds price and/or local "prices".
Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'm the other party that's interested in the car / you're the other party he told me about (judging by location and how you describe the car)

I'm not sure I'd say it's in excellent condition. The curbed tires are a real indication of how the owner drives his car. It seems like he didn't really take care of the car at all. He also told me he didn't have many or very few service records. The day I saw it, he just came back from repairs and the car was "detailed" so it may have appeared better than it is. I also noticed the seats were in a bit rough condition on the sides. In addition to fixing the rims, you're going to need new tires too as the tread is very low and his front right tire has part of the rubber peeling off from the curbing. Combine that with the "repairs" as he does not consider any of the incidents actual accidents, I think around the $20,000 range is more than generous. I've been looking for about 4 months and I'm being very patient and picky with what I decide to get. Good luck in your decision (though if you don't pick this one up, I'll still have competition in finding mine )
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
so whats the kbb value? offer less than that.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Well I dont know exactly how much I would offer but it certainly wouldnt be top dollar for one that has been in a couple accidents and has minor imperfections here and there. Im sure the car is still nice, but my point is there are cars out there that are mint with no curb rash, little to no scratches, and clean accident free history.
Just to give you an idea I bought my 08 Type S 6mt (6mt's bring more money than autos generally). It had 43K miles, perfect interior, 98% perfect exterior all original paint zero accidents, zero curb rash. I paid $24.5 + ttl USD.

I just did the conversion so 50,000kms is only about 27K miles thats low miles, but still the accidents hurt its value even if they are minor. They are probably on its history report and thats a big ding there too.

I would say a somewhat clean 08 with 27K miles, with minor accident history, I wouldnt pay more than 23K USD depending on how bad thr accidents were. Like just touching the bumpers fine, but if it was more than that I wouldnt even consider the car.

James
Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
If the car has been in a couple accidents, the guy shouldnt expect full retail value - which in Canada for a low milage '08 Type-S seems to be between $25K to $30K depending on condition. Like James says, offer 23 and change.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Show me the carfax!!! Listen to the fizzy fella lol
Old 08-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Shibbyguy

So you're the guy who outdid my WTB TLS craigslist ad.. lol! You're totally right about the condition... I was hesitant to say excellent. To be honest, I've been looking for nearly 2 years now and still haven't found "the one". I'm getting a little desperate now and it doesn't seem like these are popping so often anymore, and if they do they are usually pretty high kms or poor condition. I've seen and test drove so many and can't even believe how badly people treat their luxury vehicles. The one that we saw is great compared to a lot that I've seen. I've been patient as hell, but I want to sell my RSX before it hits 100kms. Anyways, good luck on the search. I hope we can both find something we are happy with. It's such a nice car, so I can't blame you!

@Everyone

Thanks guys, perhaps I will continue to wait then. Sigh...
Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChromeHeart
@Shibbyguy

So you're the guy who outdid my WTB TLS craigslist ad.. lol! You're totally right about the condition... I was hesitant to say excellent. To be honest, I've been looking for nearly 2 years now and still haven't found "the one". I'm getting a little desperate now and it doesn't seem like these are popping so often anymore, and if they do they are usually pretty high kms or poor condition. I've seen and test drove so many and can't even believe how badly people treat their luxury vehicles. The one that we saw is great compared to a lot that I've seen. I've been patient as hell, but I want to sell my RSX before it hits 100kms. Anyways, good luck on the search. I hope we can both find something we are happy with. It's such a nice car, so I can't blame you!

@Everyone

Thanks guys, perhaps I will continue to wait then. Sigh...
Haha, yes, I did make a pretty aggressive Craigslist WTB post. But honestly, this guy was the only one who replied to it and his car isn't even in the excellent condition I was asking for. I agree that a lot less have been popping up in our area recently and I'm also starting be sort of desperate. I'd say in the past month or so there have been no new postings for NBP colour.

Have you checked out this one?
http://www.happyhonda.com/en/used/20...ouver/3970853/
I almost pulled the trigger on it but the salesman was kind of a douche and was treating me like I knew nothing about the car when I told him I'd been researching and looking for months. Keep in mind this car was transferred from North Shore Acura (they were selling it for $32k) after they couldn't sell it for 2 months. So if you went to go see that one, it's the exact same thing and you don't need to waste your time. Maybe this one is right for you though. IMO, this one is in way better condition than the private sale one. Good luck, I'm confident we will both find what we're looking for eventually.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Best thing to do is come to the US and look in the Tri-state area. But I don't know if it's a bitch to get it registered to "Canada DPS".
Old 08-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How far is Vancouver from Rhode Island? You can have mine for $24K USD
Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3,169 mi, 2 days 3 hours driving, no rest or stopping to pee.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
theres a 08 wdp tls with black interior 6sp for 21k near my house for this nbp your inquiring about if it was in the states id prolly start by offering him something around 18k and let him work you up if need be but deff dont go over 20k .. best thing to do is to travel to get your car of choice make a trip out of it ! luckily for me my dream car was parked 2 blocks over and i didnt even know about it till it came up online lol