3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much or an Acura TL's components are Japanese made?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:34 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Much or an Acura TL's components are Japanese made?

Greetings All I was reading our local Sunday Newspaper and there was a very interesting article in the Business section of the Sunday News. This section was dealing with the Notion of "Made in America." The article elucidated on some of the misconceptions within the general public about how much of an Automobile is made from domestic parts and how much is made by offshore companies. The article gave an excellent snapshot of some automobiles that where not only assembled in the U.S. but also went into the intricacies of what percentage of the components are made in the U.S. For example the 2005-2007 Chrysler 300 was made according the article in Germany with more than 75% of its parts coming from Germany. The Toyota Camry was made in the U.S. with More than 70% of it's components made here in the U.S. they also dealt with Honda stating that while Honda is a Japanese Co. it manufactures many of it's automobiles here in the U.S (nothing new to any of us) it did state however that there was some issues over whether on not Honda should make the "Made in America" Claim as many of the vehicles use components that are made in Japan. They sited some of the brands which use majority Japanese components or those that did NOT. The Acura RSX was all Japanese I believe, as is the RL, and of course some accords fell on different sides of the pale depending on model and Year. Anyway to sum this all up, they did NOT mention the Acura TL and since I own a 04 TL and keep my self informed on the changing dynamics of the Technological and automotive world, I was curios. What percentage of the components in the Acura TL's are actual engineered in Japan and then shipped to South Ohio (my home state)? Also can any tell me any websites that provide a thorough breakdown of not only where cars are made but what percentage of the components for automobiles are domestic and what percentage are imports. I don't know . . . . I guess I tend to favor or should I say lend more technological and engineering respect to the Japanese and Germans (and in that order due to my observations that the Germans seem to be slipping in quality) than I do to Uncle Sam's Big 3 motor giants. Industry leading stats seem to lend some credence to that argument. Would Anyone place a GM or Ford product over an Acura? Anyway I digressed here and please ignore the last part of that statement as that’s just my opinion and not necessarily fact, and yes I'm sure some if not many Americans would contest it. But in closing I am interested to know the answers to my two questions: What percentage of the components in the Acura TL's are actual engineered in Japan and then shipped to South Ohio (my home state)? Also can anyone tell me any websites that provide a thorough breakdown of not only where cars are made but what percentage of the components for automobiles are domestic and what percentage are imports.

Thanks again Acurazine members I appreciated you all taking the time to read my thread and providing researched answers and critically engaging opinions and rebuttals.