Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get rid of rust for good, or at least 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to get rid of rust for good, or at least 3 years

Posting here because this forums is a lot more lively than the MDX and I own both MDX and TL.

The MDX is a 2005, white and it started rusting 2 years ago below the gas cap, around the wheel arches and around the doors. We had it repainted by a bodyshop for 2k$ but the rust is already back.

This in in Quebec with winter, salt and all that body rusting situation.

Is there a way to fix this for another 3 years? Should I just abandon and learn t live with rust?
The following users liked this post:
modoko (06-08-2014)
Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
you can put some grease there to slow down the rust, and clean/wipe down if you over pump

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 04-25-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Fixed
Old 03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
What's the name of that company that sprays on the protective stuff?

Not sure if they have it in Canada, but I know a lot of folks around the DC area use them.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Sounds like a defect of some kind. Why is it rusting in the first place? And why is showing through the paint?

Pics?

Also, FWIW, threads go in the section the question pertains to, not based on the what car(s) you own. Non-model specific or non-Acura = Car Talk; Model specific = that model sub-forum.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've got a little rust on my inner fender lips from rolling them before the winter. I'm going to be putting POR-15 on them. You can put that or Rust Bullet on it and then paint over that. Either product should seal off the rust.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Try detailing it before winter/snow.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDingo
What's the name of that company that sprays on the protective stuff?

Not sure if they have it in Canada, but I know a lot of folks around the DC area use them.
Krown?

I have rust on my car too.

How it formed, IDK.

I'll post a thread about my rust soon, but I have it on the hood, rear passenger quarter panel on top of the wheelwell, and some rust starting around my tail lights.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 03-13-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Krown?

I have rust on my car too.

How it formed, IDK.

I'll post a thread about my rust soon, but I have it on the hood, rear passenger quarter panel on top of the wheelwell, and some rust starting around my tail lights.

In areas that are exposed, like the under-carriage, it's understandable and typical. In un-exposed areas, like painted, undamaged panels, it seems unusual to me.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
In areas that are exposed, like the under-carriage, it's understandable and typical. In un-exposed areas, like painted, undamaged panels, it seems unusual to me.
Well, that proves my car was damaged?..

My radiator and engine is rusty too.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Well, that proves my car was damaged?..

No, I didn't mean that. I meant that I wouldn't expect normal, painted, un-exposed panels to form rust.

Is it coming from the 'inside' of the panel; is it rust through?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
No, I didn't mean that. I meant that I wouldn't expect normal, painted, un-exposed panels to form rust.

Is it coming from the 'inside' of the panel; is it rust through?

Maybe I'll make a thread about it to show everyone

But it's BAD rust.
Very unexpected, as there was no VISIBLE rust when I bought the car.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Rust usually starts from the inside and comes out through the body panels, unless paint is missing then the rust can be considered surface rust. Normally with the galvanized steel that is used, rust is at a minimum unless body work was performed and the panels weren't sealed properly and water was left to remain within the panels. The daughter's Maxima, never in an accident started rusting in the lower qtr just behind the rear door, only on one side, passenger, and seems "normal" with the Maxima as many have the problem. I cut out the rust, both inside panel, exterior panel along with the wheel well arch and all toll,, about 2' just to get to "clean" material. Pieced in new metal, sprayed inside and out, sealed the inside area, then sprayed the primer, base and clear on the outside.

Only way to stop the rust penetration is to cut it out, at least in my opinion. POR 15 is great, but getting to the entire rusted area is sometimes a problem in that what is not coated will just continue to rust.

Cars up North certainly take a beating from the hardh conditions. I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee that came from Minnesota, it was a disater as the engine block was flaking from rust, oil pan rusted through, brake lines and A/T cooling lines heavy rust, so changed the oil pan then got rid of the SUV.

Warranty, looks like 5 years Canada:
The outer body of an Acura is under warranty against rust. The rust-through warranty is good for five years and is not limited by the number of miles. Surface rust 5 years 80,000 km

Last edited by Turbonut; 03-13-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Posting here because this forums is a lot more lively than the MDX and I own both MDX and TL.

The MDX is a 2005, white and it started rusting 2 years ago below the gas cap, around the wheel arches and around the doors. We had it repainted by a bodyshop for 2k$ but the rust is already back.

This in in Quebec with winter, salt and all that body rusting situation.

Is there a way to fix this for another 3 years? Should I just abandon and learn t live with rust?
OSPHO! It stops the rust in it's tracks. I paint for a living and use it religiously(spelling). You can either brush it on or use a spray bottle. Let it sit 24 hours then lightly sand smooth. You don't need to do the sanding part unless you are planning on painting soon. if not, just brush or spray it on and leave it. Good Luck.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jase13
OSPHO! It stops the rust in it's tracks. I paint for a living and use it religiously(spelling). You can either brush it on or use a spray bottle. Let it sit 24 hours then lightly sand smooth. You don't need to do the sanding part unless you are planning on painting soon. if not, just brush or spray it on and leave it. Good Luck.
Not to be a PIA, but if water is between 2 panels and the rust has perforated the metal, how can spraying a rust preventative help? If the rust isn't removed it will spread.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Not to be a PIA, but if water is between 2 panels and the rust has perforated the metal, how can spraying a rust preventative help? If the rust isn't removed it will spread.
Look up Ospho my friend. Obviously you would want to get rid of the water first that is causing the rust to form then use the ospho. Again, I use it all the time and never had an issue. Also, it is not a rust preventative, it stops the rust in it's tracks and turns it into iron phosphate.

Last edited by Jase13; 03-14-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jase13
Look up Ospho my friend. Obviously you would want to get rid of the water first that is causing the rust to form then use the ospho. Again, I use it all the time and never had an issue. Also, it is not a rust preventative, it stops the rust in it's tracks and turns it into iron phosphate.
I've used POR-15 over the years for a variety of projects, and the Ospho is similar to any of the other rust preventative products, but once again, if one has a small hole in the wheel or qtr, it's not going to help as how can one be certain all the rust areas inside are covered. Use as an example the qrts and wheel wells that have a filler and rust has begun between the 2 layers under the filler, no Ospho or any other liquid is going to do the job. Even for surface rust, the metal needs to be prepped and rust areas ground down smooth before applying paint, so the rust area is gone. Now if one wants to spray the solution over the rust and simply paint, that's a different story, and a completely different final appearance, far from factory.
I've used it on driveshafts, suspension components, and other out of sight body parts as a primer before painting, but the parts have been as new before application.
As usual, just my
Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbonut
I've used POR-15 over the years for a variety of projects, and the Ospho is similar to any of the other rust preventative products, but once again, if one has a small hole in the wheel or qtr, it's not going to help as how can one be certain all the rust areas inside are covered. Use as an example the qrts and wheel wells that have a filler and rust has begun between the 2 layers under the filler, no Ospho or any other liquid is going to do the job. Even for surface rust, the metal needs to be prepped and rust areas ground down smooth before applying paint, so the rust area is gone. Now if one wants to spray the solution over the rust and simply paint, that's a different story, and a completely different final appearance, far from factory.
I've used it on driveshafts, suspension components, and other out of sight body parts as a primer before painting, but the parts have been as new before application.
As usual, just my
I cannot speak for POS-15 and I don't doubt it works as you say. I can speak for Ospho and in my opinion it is like no other. If you can see the rust then why can't you get rid of it? I have sprayed it in between panels many times and left it as is. Most people would not be too concerned about how the panel looks inside where you would not normally see. Now, if it is to be done "correctly", then the panel should be cut off, treated, welded back on and primed, painted...etc. It seems as though the shop the OP took it too did not treat the rust and probably just primed over the rust and painted it, just guessing. Anyhow, in this case I would strip the paint down to the metal and see how bad the rust is and take it from there. Also, I would take the vehicle back to the shop you got it fixed at and get them to fix it properly. There should be a warranty on the work if it is a reputable shop. Just my as well Sir. Good Luck. Keep posted.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting I also have a 2005 MDX 66k miles , garaged and have rust back undercarrige, pipes & lifts Looks surface but usually that turns worse. I spoke to Acura last summer Augsut 2011 and the of course said no big deal its normal.... Not really _ i had a Accord - drove it for 156K also garaged and not a spot of rust - whats the deal with MDX's ? Is there a way to stop the rust ?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,307 Posts
OP rust will come back almost every year unless you spend alot of $$ to get the whole section cut off and rewell other than that you will have to live with rust, I spray wash my car almost every day after driving home to make sure that all the salt being blast off the body especially between gaps such as bumper meet fender/quarter panel/headlight/gas door and under wheel arch, I have a 00 Accord with 140k miles and that is my daily driver so far I have zero rust any where on the car.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I've used this before and it's worked very well.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...fr=yfp-t-701-s