AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   How fluent are you with Voice commands ? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/how-fluent-you-voice-commands-547100/)

Zeuser 03-30-2004 02:58 PM

How fluent are you with Voice commands ?

Obviously this applies to the Navi owners.

Just how fluent are you with the voice commands? How long did it take you to become this fluent?

Do you have to think carefully before giving a command or has it become second nature to you?

I've had my Navi for 6 days now and I've pretty much master the audio and climate control commands. I do mess up with the nav some times simply because I'm giving the wrong commands on the wrong screen.

And if you have any remarks about the HFL voice commands, please go ahead. I haven't tried those yet as I'm still shopping for a decent service provider in Canada.

Zeuser 03-31-2004 12:27 AM

What? Nobody's fluent with the Navi yet? ;)

Donte99TL 03-31-2004 01:30 AM

I suck; I don't even know half of them. I never really looked at all the commands. What page is it on again in the manual?

żGotJazz? 03-31-2004 04:31 AM

I'm doing just great with the Navi!! Luvit Luvit Luvit Luvit!

I'm getting 95%+ recognition with the Navi VR, so it gets a lot of use. Also, I have somewhat different vocalization characteristics (sort of a lisp, but not quite), but it doesn't seem to mess up the Navi VR system much.

The HFL, on the other hand, is poor. Maybe around 50% recognition with numbers. Frustrating.

CdnTL 03-31-2004 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by żGotJazz?
I'm getting 95%+ recognition with the Navi VR, so it gets a lot of use.

The HFL, on the other hand, is poor. Maybe around 50% recognition with numbers. Frustrating.

I'll second that -- the Navi VR is surprisingly good, once you get used to the command structure. HFL is so-so; for whatever reason, I can't get it to recognize the word "Pound" more than about 10% of the time. (And it's kinda embarrassing to be sitting alone in your car, shouting at your dashboard.)

catsailr 03-31-2004 05:52 AM

I does work surprisingly good, especially considering all the different accents around the county. Everyone, except the people around here, talks funny. :lol1:

Zeuser 03-31-2004 09:59 AM

I went through a Burger King drive-through the other day and while I was waiting in line to get to window #1 I started playing some DVD-A. I get to window #1, where you pay, and the girl opens the window and says the amount. I press the button and say "Radio off" and then turn to the girl and say "Pardon?". She looks at me all funny and says "What did you just do?". I answer: "I told my car to shutup". Her reply: "Like that is so fat" (whatever the hell that means). So I ask her: "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you the first time. What's the amount again?".

Anyway, I think the voice commands are going to surprise quite a few people. People just aren't used to seeing people talk to their cars. I meant talk, not pray as in... "Please please please don't do this to me.... why won't you #%^$ start?". LOL ;)

caball88 03-31-2004 11:00 AM

"Radio on/off" is my number one most used command followed by "climate control on/off" I dun use the "Radio Preset X" as much because its faster to use the steering wheel. I usually like my car at a specific temperature so that voice command doesn't get used much. I have had the car less than a month so there are probably more commands that i'll end up using when i learn them.

srpatel721 03-31-2004 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by żGotJazz?
I'm doing just great with the Navi!! Luvit Luvit Luvit Luvit!

I'm getting 95%+ recognition with the Navi VR, so it gets a lot of use. Also, I have somewhat different vocalization characteristics (sort of a lisp, but not quite), but it doesn't seem to mess up the Navi VR system much.

One thing I have learned with the HFL is you should not pause at all when requesting a number to be dialed. If you pause for even a quick second, the HFL will replace it with a "0". Try and call out the numbers clearly but quickly.

Hope this helps.

ck37 03-31-2004 02:32 PM

My HFL keeps referring to the number 8!!
It is the most frustrating thing. I say 7 it says 8,
I say 3 it says 8.
Is there something wrong with mine!

J0KER 03-31-2004 02:46 PM

After about a month of trial and error, I pretty much have it down.

TLJohn 03-31-2004 03:03 PM

I find myself using it with the XM more than anything "XM Channel two zero", "XM Channel Up".

My son tried "Passenger window down" and "Mom off" with little success.

Xerxes480 03-31-2004 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by TLJohn
My son tried "Passenger window down" and "Mom off" with little success.

:lol2:

The HFL commands take a little to get used to...as someone said, the key is to not pause between numbers. Still learning the Navi commands...I tend to just reach up and push the buttons...seems easier to me.

-X-

smoore 03-31-2004 03:46 PM

I find the voice commands work well as long as you remember the order. Every one in while I will say "Play CD, disc 1" instead of "CD, play disc one" and I get back "Display ATM's".

The HFL is great for numbers if they are said quickly. I am having a little more trouble with it remembering stored names.

I live in Toronto and I really find that I use the "rear defroster" command a lot. I also find I use the "Find nearest ATM" command frequently.

I can never remember the preset channels. I usually just ask it to tune to the frequency of the radio station I want to listen to. I don't think it has ever screwed that command up which frankly surprises me.

acur8ly 03-31-2004 03:49 PM

I get about 90% of the commands right with the navi voice commands, the HFL is a different story. Unfortunately I use the HFL more than the Navi voice commands.

producrdel 03-31-2004 03:55 PM

I am having a lot of fun with the Navi, when it doesn't understand my command I just have to laugh at the response it gives me, I only wish Acura had programmed it to say "Try again, retard."

Zeuser 03-31-2004 04:23 PM

Whenever I demo the voice commands to my friends they always ask "Did you have to train it to reconize your voice?". I still find it remarkable that it doesn't require any training at all!

The one thing that does annoy me is that when you start the car up the navi intro screen takes a long time. By the time the "OK" prompt comes up I've already setup the climate controls manually.

JoganJani 03-31-2004 04:29 PM

Nav VR 99.9%, HFL 80%

I use it all the time. I use most of the Nav, climate, radio, CD/DVD commonds. I think i've used a lot till now and the success is about 99.9%. I wish I could say the same with HFL. HFL VR is BAD! As earlier poster said. It puts a lot of 8s in. However, once I got past filling my addressbook, I did not have any problems. It works great as well.

cblackburn 03-31-2004 05:06 PM

Does anyone know how to bring up the audio screen by voice? it'd be nice to tell the car to switch from the NAVI screen to the Audio screen by a simple command instead of reaching for the button.

smoore 03-31-2004 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by cblackburn
Does anyone know how to bring up the audio screen by voice? it'd be nice to tell the car to switch from the NAVI screen to the Audio screen by a simple command instead of reaching for the button.

Can't be done. There have been a number of posts on this.