Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you accelerate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question How do you accelerate?

When im on the freeway I use short bursts of speed to keep moving. My girl keeps her foot on the accelerator constantly. I was wondering what method burns up more gas. I fill up 70 dollars of gas twice a week and im looking for ways to get more miles per gallon in my TL-S.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 PM
NBP REPRESENT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juruki
When im on the freeway I use short bursts of speed to keep moving. My girl keeps her foot on the accelerator constantly. I was wondering what method burns up more gas. I fill up 70 dollars of gas twice a week and im looking for ways to get more miles per gallon in my TL-S.

constant speed is the best way

something called CRUISE control...

everytime you speed up and slow down, that burns more gas...
Old 07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Instructor

why would you drive like that? It is much better to maintain your freeway speed. But even if it wasn't who wants to go up to 75 and coast down to 60 and back up to 75 makes no sense.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:48 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Driving like that makes no sense. Think about it, every couple of seconds you are accelerating as opposed to maintaining the same speed. Make sense?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I hate driving with people that keep on hitting the gas...especially after I eat....

Keep your rpms low by providing enough acceleration to go the speed you want without hitting the brakes (maintaining distance with cars in front of you)
In other words, mimic the cruise control, but in a smart way...

Cruise control is only optimum on flat straight roads...on the hills it drives like 16 yr old girl.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I hate driving with people that keep on hitting the gas...especially after I eat....
+1
Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Race Director

^^ lol, I fail, I meant riding...how the hell am I driving if I'm the passenger
Old 07-11-2008, 02:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Constant Speed.

Besides the fuel, I HATE the morons on the Freeway (open road) that can't decide what speed to go. Speeding up and slowing down, getting in everyone's way, screwing up the other drivers' ability to predict behavior .... WTF? Pick a speed.

Sorry, not flaming the OP, but I drive a lot of Highway Miles (rural freeway) and there are FAR TOO MANY people who do not demonstrate basic good driving skills, let alone show reasonable consideration to fellow drivers.

Cruise control is only optimum on flat straight roads...on the hills it drives like 16 yr old girl.
I (slightly) disagree. The TL Cruise Control is pretty stable over moderate, rolling hills on the highway. I'd say +- 1 or 2 MPH. Unlike my Impala RepMobile which is practically spastic wth variation of +- 4 MPH over moderate, rolling hills.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Constant Speed.

Besides the fuel, I HATE the morons on the Freeway (open road) that can't decide what speed to go. Speeding up and slowing down, getting in everyone's way, screwing up the other drivers' ability to predict behavior .... WTF? Pick a speed.

Sorry, not flaming the OP, but I drive a lot of Highway Miles (rural freeway) and there are FAR TOO MANY people who do not demonstrate basic good driving skills, let alone show reasonable consideration to fellow drivers.

i agree. and i hate those people that drive slow and timid in the fast lane, and then speed up like a jerk once they finally do pass. and for some reason, everyone from Illinois driving in Michigan likes to use the left lane as their slow cruising lane, it really bugs me.

but yeah, i like to drive as constant as possible.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Race Director

I (slightly) disagree. The TL Cruise Control is pretty stable over moderate, rolling hills on the highway. I'd say +- 1 or 2 MPH. Unlike my Impala RepMobile which is practically spastic wth variation of +- 4 MPH over moderate, rolling hills.
I've had situations when on cruise control, approaching uphill where I couldn't see anything after the hill, the car lurched forward to attack the hill, I almost shat myself... I don't know I just don't like a car driving for me...to me this is just as pointless as the LS460 parking itself... why? lol.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:46 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Bearcat, I couldn't agree more. I see it every day as I can't stand the people in the left lane doing 70. Then they finally move over and they are in the right lane doing 80. WTF!!!! Now I have to go way above the normal speed to get away from the dickhead who doesn't know that left lane means fast, right lane means slow. I wish I had spike strips I could throw out the window to get there ass off the road.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Race Director

^^ Left lane means fast? Is that written in law somewhere?

You can't even imagine how many times a day, when I drive in the left lane, some douche bag switches into my lane going half of my speed. I usually accelerate and go around them with authority... But I'm releazing everyday that some drivers need to stick to public transportation for commute....

I love when there are vans/suv in front of me, they accelerate fast, and slam on the brakes... is it really hard to estimate the distance and traffic ahead? morons.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
start up slow and cruise control...yup
Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
J35A8

^^ Left lane means fast? Is that written in law somewhere?

You can't even imagine how many times a day, when I drive in the left lane, some douche bag switches into my lane going half of my speed. I usually accelerate and go around them with authority... But I'm releazing everyday that some drivers need to stick to public transportation for commute....

I love when there are vans/suv in front of me, they accelerate fast, and slam on the brakes... is it really hard to estimate the distance and traffic ahead? morons.
They shouldn't allow any vehicle over 6 ft tall in the left lane.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Keep your rpms low by providing enough acceleration to go the speed you want without hitting the brakes (maintaining distance with cars in front of you)
In other words, mimic the cruise control, but in a smart way...

LoL this was the main reason i posted this question. My girl complains that i jerk her around too much when she is riding in the passenger seat. I guess im gonna have to get used to constantly keeping my foot on the gas (which i find a lil boring)...
Old 07-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Race Director

In NYC we have too many bad drivers with addition of horrible roads...a lovely driving experience everyday is guaranteed lol (except 1am-5am)...

You know what really peeves me? There are two lanes merging, and everyone knows about this, Staten Island expressway, left two lanes merge, and everyone tries to get into at the same time causing 20 minutes delays... I think they are making the permit and road tests too easy...people don't use common sense...especially driving erratically in 5mph traffic cutting in and out lane to get ahead...in the end result, once the road opens up, we meet again... I can write a thick book ranting about this, lol.

It's like when I got side swiped going 60mph on the Belt by an idiot who decided to switch lanes without looking...I did a 720 on a highway...

Back to the thread, constant speed with smooth acceleration and deceleration will always provide the best mpg. Coasting down the hill in gear will also help. Also regarding having your A/C on...national study said you will loose about 1-2mpg when the A/C is on, but if you find it more comfortable driving with the A/C on, then do it, a comfortable driver is a happy driver.
I've noticed in my TL-S, when I turn off the A/C, after a few miles of driving, my ave mpg jumps by 2....
Old 07-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Race Director

LoL this was the main reason i posted this question. My girl complains that i jerk her around too much when she is riding in the passenger seat. I guess im gonna have to get used to constantly keeping my foot on the gas (which i find a lil boring)...
I have a friend who constantly presses the gas and brakes, and he adjusts to turns by jerking the steering wheel into it...so by the time he comes out of the turn you want to strangle him.... And he is a cop...I feel bad for his partner...that guy must have a strong stomach. lol
Old 07-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh and btw, short bursts of acceleration dont mean i go from 65 to 80 all the time. I just press and depress staying withing a 5mph diff in speed
Old 07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Race Director

Oh and btw, short bursts of acceleration dont mean i go from 65 to 80 all the time. I just press and depress staying withing a 5mph diff in speed
Yeah, I understand, but those jerks are felt... You want a smooth ride to make the car float on the road... ever driven an LS? smoooooooooooooth boats...

When I'm alone, I'll drive it hard as I don't mind feeling the road...but with passengers in the car, I want them to feel comfortable.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Race Director

But in reality, even when jerking the car 5mph like you are doing, you are not really wasting more gas, as your engine is smart enough to only use the gas necessary while sending excess back to the tank. Raising rpms by 200-300 I guess it's ok.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
.... I guess im gonna have to get used to constantly keeping my foot on the gas (which i find a lil boring)...

That's where the Cruise Control comes in. Frees up your foot/feet for other things.

On really long drives, I'll take my shoes and socks off and practice a little podiatric oragami.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Race Director

^ Cool, I usually start getting sleepy when I use cruise control...and I get toooo relaxed.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
not if you keep it constantly on the floor...
Old 07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
I only use the cruise control on long trips when my foot begins to get tired... and the bones/muscles ache.
I tend to always stick in the left lane... and I agree with others. I hate those bastards who drive slow in the left lane! Sometimes I'd have to pass them on the right--and merge back onto the left... which at that moment they switch back to the right lane. Damnit.

In Canada.... I believe trucks are NOT allowed to be on the far left lane... as long as there are 3 or more lanes. On two lanes it is okay for a truck to go on the left lane---only to pass other vehicles.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got a smart girl there.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I hate it when trucks try to pass each other on the freeway going up hills.
Every once in a while on my commute to work, I'll hit a massive jam. Then when I work my way to the front, I find 3 or 4 semis passing each other. One in the right lane doing 30 under the limit. One in the next lane doing 29.5 under the limit, on next to that doing 29.3 under the limit, etc..... They basically formed a moving roadblock blocking all 4 lanes of the freeway.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:44 PM
steeez

lol is this a serious question? you fill up twice a week cuz you step on the gas a lot.. gas/break gas/break isnt obvious why youre killin gas?

i never even gas it hard unless im trying to go fast. try not to go over 3K RPM and do things like if your heading twords a red anyways, no point in gassing still since ure gona brake anyways
Old 07-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ecliptics
lol is this a serious question? you fill up twice a week cuz you step on the gas a lot.. gas/break gas/break isnt obvious why youre killin gas?
I dont use the brakes on the freeway. Just press and depress the gas.

But yeah, i got the point. Thanks buddies : P
Old 07-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I woudl actually prefer if it wasn't so stable. From a fuel economy standpoint, it is better if the cruise woudl allow the vehicle to slow down slightly uphill.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Advanced

quick question for the 6spd MT, what RPM do you guys up shift at? I've been getting about 18mpg in NYC. Also what RPM is too low for a TL? In my 99 civic si, i would shift at 3.5k to save gas and down shift if the rpm got below 2k, I would get 35mpg mix driving. I only drive on the weekends but would like better gas mileage.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:10 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Huh, you are probably the self-professed worst driver ever.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Im with Bearcat. i hate having to match the speed of people who cant decide what to be in.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Xerlude
quick question for the 6spd MT, what RPM do you guys up shift at? I've been getting about 18mpg in NYC. Also what RPM is too low for a TL? In my 99 civic si, i would shift at 3.5k to save gas and down shift if the rpm got below 2k, I would get 35mpg mix driving. I only drive on the weekends but would like better gas mileage.
I think it's personal preferance at what you shift at.
I shift anywhere from 2k to 2.5k in city/highway driving..
But when I want to have fun I shift past 3k.

I heard that.. being in the top-gear is most efficient for the vehicle, but I could be wrong... or the source I read could be wrong.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
I think it's personal preferance at what you shift at.
I shift anywhere from 2k to 2.5k in city/highway driving..
But when I want to have fun I shift past 3k.

I heard that.. being in the top-gear is most efficient for the vehicle, but I could be wrong... or the source I read could be wrong.
it doesn't matter top gear or this or that, it's very simple, the lower the RPM's, the less gas is being used.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
it doesn't matter top gear or this or that, it's very simple, the lower the RPM's, the less gas is being used.
not really, you do get to a point where the RPMs are too low and you have to use more gas to keep the car moving.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 AM
05' AT SSM

Like others have said constant speed will get better mpg than high rpm spurts.

Personally it depends on how far i'm going, long road trips i just set the Cruise Control (i love cruise control) and just use the controls for speeding up and slowing down.

I saw a thing on "Mythbusters" that measured gas savings when traveling behind semi trucks. Even at 5-7 car lenghts behind you'll still save mpg on long hauls.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xerlude
not really, you do get to a point where the RPMs are too low and you have to use more gas to keep the car moving.
How does that work? Less rpm means less rotations means less gas being used. I think you mean higher gear? If going too slow or uphill you may use more gas in 5th gear than 4th.

Lol OP I cant believe you still drive that, thats how people drive when their just learning or high. I hate it when people do that its so annoying. Not surprising your gf complains. I dont know if there are HOT lanes anywhere else in the country, but they are doing it in Washington and its the stupidest shit ever. Because you get a ticket for crossing double white lines. Basically, if your stuck behind an idiot, then your stuck for good. Unless you wanna risk getting a ticket.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just because an engine is turning more rpm does not necessarily mean it's burnign more gas. Put your car into 6th gear and floor the pedal, it is probably spinning pretty slowly but is using more gas than if you were in a lower gear with higher rpm.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:59 PM
steeez

I dont use the brakes on the freeway. Just press and depress the gas.

But yeah, i got the point. Thanks buddies : P
hahah AY.. if you can afford it its alll goood.. my dad drives like that. he says he likes feeling it when he gasses but to me i jus get a headache from the jerky feel.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by korrupted
They shouldn't allow any vehicle over 6 ft tall in the left lane.
+1 ...also any vehicle that has a ladder or lawn-mower on board needs to stay right.

Quick Reply: How do you accelerate?