3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come auto only comes in D and Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 02:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come auto only comes in D and Manual?

One thng I noticed during test drive is that the automatic only has two options: Normal Automatic and Manual Shift. Im not sure what the G35, audi's, or others have but I know the 3 series auto has 3 modes: Automatic, Sport Mode Automatic, and Manual shift. Does the TL have the 3 modes and I just didnt know how to set it during test drive or are there only 2 modes?

If there are only 2 maybe that would be a good feedback to give Acura. Having a sport mode should be a relatively trivial thing to add to car given it is just a different shift point (performance vs fuel economy) -
Old 07-31-2004, 03:09 AM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I dont know what you are talking about. The automatic 3 series doesnt have "manual" shift because it doesnt have a clutch. If you are refering to StepTronic, then its like a manual but not truely because the ratios are still different. In any case, the 3 series still has only 2 modes.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mocoso is actually talking about different programs for the automatic shifting. I forgot which car I drove that had that feature. It was definitely a Mercedes or a BMW. There was a button to allow the driver to select how he wanted the automatic to shift. Sport mode would delay the shift of gears till after a higher RPM while the winter mode will allow for shifting at a lower RPM to decrease torque on the wheels.

I think it's was not in Acura's interest to persue this in R&D because it wasn't a major benefit. The current set-up for the TL is quite well already with a fairly aggressive shift based on throttle position. When slowing down, the transmission is very responsive in downshifting to the correct gear to match the vehicle's speed. The engine is tweaked for ULE. If tire slipping was an issue in snowy conditions, VSA would decrease power to increase traction. The TL's an all-around well thought out package that covers most conditions with a less agressive sticker price.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:29 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, I find the Acura's throttle-based shift scheduling to be a better implementation. It's fuel efficient during most of my normal driving, but it kicks in aggressively when it determines the need-for-speed.

The TL's shift scheduling has surprised me on occasion, because I'll realize immediately after I throttled up (but not floored it) and changed the normal scheduling that I really needed the extra boost at that time. It's almost like the car is telepathic ...
Old 07-31-2004, 10:38 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
Actually, I find the Acura's throttle-based shift scheduling to be a better implementation. It's fuel efficient during most of my normal driving, but it kicks in aggressively when it determines the need-for-speed.

The TL's shift scheduling has surprised me on occasion, because I'll realize immediately after I throttled up (but not floored it) and changed the normal scheduling that I really
needed the extra boost at that time. It's almost like the car is telepathic ...
I agree with you - it is a simpler yet more sophisticated solution. The only question i have is can the TL be started in 2nd gear as in some automatics?
Old 07-31-2004, 10:55 AM
Instructor

BMW's have the S-program. You engage it by moving the lever to the manual position without shifting. It raises shift-points and makes kick-down more responsive. It really changes the character of the transmission.

The whole idea of adaptive shifting is for the transmission to detect when the driver's pushing it hard, and to alter the shift program automatically. Does the TL have this? I haven't seen it documented.

Anyone notice the BMW Steptronic does its manual shifting "backwards?" Push forward to downshift, backwards to upshift -- like steering wheel paddles.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Instructor

BTW, the TL also has a "Low" mode, where the transmission maintains the lowest possible gear. An interesting ride, to be sure, but I'm not sure if it's realy "good" for anything.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cpurick
Anyone notice the BMW Steptronic does its manual shifting "backwards?" Push forward to downshift, backwards to upshift -- like steering wheel paddles.
Yes by manual I meant the "steptronic" auto..

I didnt realiza the TL was trying to do the adaptive transmission throught the use of the "fly by wire" throttle... I guess if it is automatically detecting the type of driving by how the throttle is being used then there is no need for the adittional "Sport" mode.

And yes I noticed the BMW is "backwards" but it did NOT use to be this way.... my 01 330 has it configured as forward for up and backwards for down... dont know what year they changed it but my brothers 04 525 has it the way you described... I would love to know why they changed it...but thats for the BMW forum...
Old 07-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Actually, I was posing a question. I don't really know if the TL's 5AT is adaptive or not. Does anyone know?
Old 07-31-2004, 01:00 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Actually, I was posing a question. I don't really know if the TL's 5AT is adaptive or not. Does anyone know?
¿GotJazz? to your rescue!

Taken from page 22 of the 04TL sales brochure:
--------------------------------------------
Drive-by-Wire Trottle System

Instead of using a mechanical means to transmit the accelerator pedal's action to the induction system's throttle, the new TL uses a sophisticated electronic throttle control system. Various sensors in the engine and chassis supply data to the system's computer, enabling it to apply appropriate input to the throttle body. So when smooth driving is important -- such as in congested traffic or on slippery pavement -- the throttle response is more gradual. When instant acceleration is desired, the throttle will respond with more immediacy. Control is enhanced and driver fatique is lessened. And this system is integrated with VSA to provide a more stable and refined driving experience.

--------------------------------------------

I've also noticed by watching the tach while experimenting with my driving style, that the shift points can vary significantly depending on how I'm applying the accelerator. It looks like there may be multiple shift schedules at play here, all integrated into a seamless system.

Way to go, Acura!

About the only time I regularly use the Sport Shift mode is when I'm merging into congested highway traffic, and may want a little extra "Ooomf". However, the TL does the same job perfectly in full automatic mode - it's just a psychological thingy that makes me feel like I can do the job better!
Old 07-31-2004, 01:02 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Road Rage
I agree with you - it is a simpler yet more sophisticated solution. The only question i have is can the TL be started in 2nd gear as in some automatics?
While stopped, enter SS mode, push the shift lever forward. This will select 2nd gear. The car will then start in 2nd gear.

-r
Old 07-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Racer

BTW, the TL also has a "Low" mode, where the transmission maintains the lowest possible gear. An interesting ride, to be sure, but I'm not sure if it's realy "good" for anything.
It is useful for descending steep roads. I used it for the first time last weekend while descending a very steep (>15%) residential road, it worked great.

-r
Old 07-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Instructor

I was frustrated when I drove my friend's 5AT and found it shifted "backwards"!!! Glad I got the 6MT, but nice to know BMW did it normally.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
I have not seen anything in any literature to indicate it is adaptive, so I would say it is not. For clarification, I think by "adaptive" you mean it will adapt to the driving habits of the driver, correct? I guess Acura didn't think we needed adaptive control because we have SS to make it do what we want. Up to a point, of course, because there are some shortcomings with SS, as we all know.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:14 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought only Mazda had the manumatic the "proper" way (forward for down, backward for up). Racing cars with sequential shift do it this way to help you shift with your momentum (and being there's so little space in the cars, there's not much room otherwise).
Old 08-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lindros2
I thought only Mazda had the manumatic the "proper" way (forward for down, backward for up). Racing cars with sequential shift do it this way to help you shift with your momentum (and being there's so little space in the cars, there's not much room otherwise).
BMW used to have it forward for up and backwards for down - they NOW have it forward for down and backwards for up.......

On the adaptive question: BMW do have adaptive shift points when in full auto - I suspect Acura does as well.. it does monitor the driving habits of the driver and adjust the shiftpoints accordingly with an effort to conserver fuel.. the "sport" mode in the full auto in BMW is tuned to get performance (Im not sure if it adapts to driver) - and while yes you could use the "manual" mode to get the performance Ive found that due to the lag from pushing the handle to the actual shift (one limitation with autosticks) the "sport" mode usually gets me there faster (Yes Im no speed racer and in my old age )
Old 08-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by lindros2
I like this way, too... for me, it makes sense to pull for "upshift"...
Old 08-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rets
I like this way, too... for me, it makes sense to pull for "upshift"...
I don't care much which way they do it. But I wish the manufacturers would all do it the same way. It was a bit challenge a year ago when I was test driving different cars!

-r
Old 08-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acura_driver
I don't care much which way they do it. But I wish the manufacturers would all do it the same way. It was a bit challenge a year ago when I was test driving different cars!

-r
LOL! Yea I ran into that during my latest test drives.. I agree they should standardize - heck maybe they allready did and that is why BMW changed how they did it
Old 08-03-2004, 07:11 AM
Burning Brakes

yes our TL has the learning "fuzzy" transmission. It averages driver's habits over a 7 day period to determine shift times. If Grandma drives it for a week, then you get back in and floor it or try to highway-pass, it will be hesitant until it learns that you're back in control for a day or two.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:56 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Acura should have left it like it was in the '02 where I could choose OverDrive when I wanted it. I don't like how we are always in 5th. I know in SS mode I can do that, but then I gotta be shifting all the time, and then I could have bought the 6mt if I wanted to be shifting. I got used to it, but that was my only real gripe. Car still ROCKS.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by Sherlock
yes our TL has the learning "fuzzy" transmission. It averages driver's habits over a 7 day period to determine shift times. If Grandma drives it for a week, then you get back in and floor it or try to highway-pass, it will be hesitant until it learns that you're back in control for a day or two.
Didn’t know that (obviously, from what I wrote above). Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Acura should have left it like it was in the '02 where I could choose OverDrive when I wanted it. I don't like how we are always in 5th. I know in SS mode I can do that, but then I gotta be shifting all the time, and then I could have bought the 6mt if I wanted to be shifting. I got used to it, but that was my only real gripe. Car still ROCKS.
Exactly, precisely, exactly my thoughts. Also wish I could put it in 4th sometimes. Guess Acura saved some money simplifying the gear selector and having to program the computer, or just doesn’t trust us to know how to shift.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Intermediate

I agree on the overdrive suggestion too, but for opposite reasons

I wish overdrive would stay engaged, when i'm accelerating from 60 to 65 mph. I hate how the damn automatic drops out of overdrive, or worse drops out of overdrive and shifts down to 4th, when I'm just lazily trying to get a few more mph out of the car.

If I use SS to increase speed, it'll still drop out of overdrive during these small increases in speed.

To the people that want a quiet highway ride, we can't ever adjust our speed up, like when a highway goes from 55 to 65 speed limits. The car will always roar to life.

I guess in the end it's my fault for not getting the manual. Marriages have their good and bad points
Old 08-03-2004, 05:04 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

BMW's have the S-program. You engage it by moving the lever to the manual position without shifting. It raises shift-points and makes kick-down more responsive. It really changes the character of the transmission.

The whole idea of adaptive shifting is for the transmission to detect when the driver's pushing it hard, and to alter the shift program automatically. Does the TL have this? I haven't seen it documented.

The first car I had with the adaptive auto tranny was the CLK55. It was pretty good. In many ways the auto in my TL is on par with one exception. The exception is the auto shift out of first in the TL. Merc didn't do that. Other than that the TL auto is pretty darn good (Better than my '97 BMW 7-series was)