Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Additional interior lights mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: Additional interior lights mod

On my TL, I installed blue led lights in the front drivers and passengers footwells. This is to add a touch of elegance to your car for when you are getting in and out, but you might consider using white leds to have it look more elegant and less sporty. The other cars I used to have that have this are the 2003-05 Mercedes E-class and the 1991-95 Acura Legend, but I'm sure a lot of other luxury cars have it.

How To wire additional interior lights without voiding your warranty or doing anything permanent to your TL:

Buy an "add-a-circuit" (any auto parts store will have it for about $6, but avoid overpriced Napa). Make sure it is the right size (ATM). Connect it to the fusebox on the left side of the driver footwell. When you take the cover off that fusebox, you can see a sticker on the inside of the cover that lists all the fuses and what circuit they protect. Find the one for the interior lights, labeled "int. lights". Then connect the power wire for your 12v LED lights to the add-a-circuit red wire, and connect the ground wire to any metal screw attached to the car.

I hope this helps. Give me lots of rep points even if it doesnt.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Racer

thanks for the info!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
you have 2 3rd gen TLs?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way exactly how do you give rep pts? and what is it for? i've seen those green blocks unders peoples names, click it does nothing.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:21 AM
Instructor

How do you get the wiring over to the passenger side?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:05 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
By the way exactly how do you give rep pts? and what is it for?
To give rep points hit the blue scales icon at the bottom left under the person's avatar. You can give positive rep points if someone's info was helpful or negative rep points if they were a butt head.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cTLgo
you have 2 3rd gen TLs?
Had a 2004 Silver/Ebony but wish I had gotten a Quartz interior, so now my brother is driving the Silver/Ebony and I just got a new 2005 Silver/Quartz. You can't have too many TLs.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yauser
How do you get the wiring over to the passenger side?
Well, unless you or a member of your household has skinny arms, it's hard to do without taking apart the center console which is a pain in the arse, especially the first time you do it. Here's step-by-step instructions:

Go on a diet for a weeks, wash your hands to keep the upholstry clean, and then lift up on the flap that is about halfway between the gas pedal and the shifter. Reach in and try to feed the wire over to the other side, where you lift up on the corresponding flap over there. After a couple hours of squirming, you might get it if you're lucky.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:45 AM
Instructor

More Info On Using Add-A-Circuits

In the instructions on the first post of this thread, the footwell lights would dim with the interior lights. Here are some other ways to control the added circuit based on where you plug it in the fuse box:

•If you plug it into the "acc. 1" empty fuse slot, the footwell lights will be on whenever the key is in the ignition 1 or ignition 2 position.
•If you plug it into the "acc. 2" empty fuse slot, the footwell lights will be on whenever the key is in the ignition 2 position. (e.g. when the car is running)
•If you plug it into the "Right Rear Power Window" fuse slot, the footwell lights will be on whenever the key is in the ignition 2 position, except when the windows are locked from the driver's master switch. This is useful if you want to use the master window switch to turn the footwell lights on and off.
•If you plug it into the "driver's power seat" fuse slot, the footwell lights will be on always (until the battery dies).

These are just examples. If you have any sort of conception of electrical wiring, you should be getting the idea by now. If the device that the fuse protects has power available to it, then the add-a-circuit that you added to that fuse slot will also have power available to it.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Instructor

MisterLawyer,

I tried your suggestion. I used an "add a circuit" and connected it to the ""int. lights" fuse slot. My footwell lights (white LEDs) were constantly ON! The dome lights will fade off but the footwell lights remained ON. I wanted it to turn on/off with the dome lights. For now, I connected it to the ACC 1 until I can get a fix on the problem.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Is there a fuse for the headlights, or does that involve more invasive wiring?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Instructor

MisterLawyer,

I tried your tutorial too, and got the same result as techguy, where the lights I added will stay on even after the Dome light goes off. It makes sense to me, because you can still turn on the dome light, glove compartment light, or door light even after the Dome light has turned off automatically, proving that "Intr. Lights" fuse always has power.

Can you please give us more details on how you wired your lights? Pictures would help, let me know if you need a host for the pics.

Originally Posted by techguy
MisterLawyer,

I tried your suggestion. I used an "add a circuit" and connected it to the ""int. lights" fuse slot. My footwell lights (white LEDs) were constantly ON! The dome lights will fade off but the footwell lights remained ON. I wanted it to turn on/off with the dome lights. For now, I connected it to the ACC 1 until I can get a fix on the problem.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Advanced

I would like more info too, I wanna try this mod soon. Also, what lights did you use? where did you get them? I wanna add the additional blue lights under the footwells to stay on while key is in ignition, and then chng the existing lights in the doors to and dome light to blue as well and fade out when door closes. Does any one have part numbers that will work? thnx!

TAZ :-)
Old 11-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Instructor

I used the white LED (12LED cluster). Go to Superleds.com. Pick what you like. There is no specific part number since you will doing your own hook up. As I said earlier, tapping into the fuse for "int. lights" does not work as posted by MisterLawyer (at least they way I'm understanding his instructions). The int. lights fuse tap is constant on. I'm afraid I might need to find a way of opening the whole front dome light assembly to tap a wire that goes directly to one of the bulbs and then somehow snake the wire along the headliner then down the A pillars.

Unless someone knows how to tap into the dome lights from somewhere else? Anyone?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dumb question ... these lights light up your feet right?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Wants an M3 in

nevermind last question ... which lights do u use to do the mod? Where did u get them and what is the part number?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Instructor

1156-W12 White LED bulb from http://www.superbrightleds.com. The W19 or the W30 will be a lot brighter.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Instructor

I used the same type of LEDs that we use for the Dome and door lights. WLED-6 I think. But I still don't see how it's possilble for MisterLawyer to get the lights go off with the dome lights.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Slacker

did you buy bulb holders or directly connect to the wiring, also how did these get mounted in the footwells?
Old 11-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Instructor

I just soldered on 2 wires to each contacts of the LED. If anyone knows where to get the bulb holder, please let me know too. I used some self adheisive velcro to mount them. But you should figure out a power source to tap into before you start doing this....

I have to say though, the soft glow of blue LED in the footwell looks awsome.

Originally Posted by clewttu
did you buy bulb holders or directly connect to the wiring, also how did these get mounted in the footwells?
Old 11-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Team Anthracite Member

To reiterate:
Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
(Well, for the most part. The how-to does have its value, but I'd rather not bother with all of it without knowing first how it looks. I'm just lazy like that.)
Old 11-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Racer

i have done this just wait untill i get my car back from dealer i will post pics i put 2 12 inch blue neons under the footwells and two 9's under seats makes a really kewl touch at night when everythign is lit up
Old 11-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Nice, guys. I'm glad these mod instructions were useful for you.

Techguy was right about the bulbs, but you could use any light source that uses a 12 volt power supply. For example, computer fans, cold cathode lights, etc, that are used for modding computer cases can be used.

To wire these lights to switch on and off with your headlights, you have to run a wire through your firewall between the hood compartment and the driver's footwell, and tap a fuse from the fusebox under the hood. This is how mine is set up. I was actually mistaken about the int lights fuse being switched. But wiring it to the Acc 1 fuse should work fine because having LED lights on during the day won't be a nuisance. Sorry about the error. If a moderator wants to edit the first post to correct that, feel free.

Looking forward to the pics, ravingstylez.

BTW, Cparris, it looks bad ass. I was driving down the strip in Las Vegas the other day and this gorgeous lady glanced inside my window and saw the blue glow around my feet. Without a word, she opened the front passenger door, sat down next to me, and we started making out.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Instructor

MisterLawyer,

Which fuse in the underhood fusebox did you use? I take it what you're saying is that, your footwell light will stay on when the car is on, and won't dim with the interrior lights?
Old 11-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Is this an attorney trend - developing a backup profession?

Maybe Mark Garagos (spelling?) will be doing sub-woofer bandpass enclosure construction at Al's Audio in Venice Beach, or its equivalent? I love watching the Hollywood crowd eat crow - first the election, now the Peterson trial. Yeah, baby, yeah!
Old 11-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
Is this an attorney trend - developing a backup profession?

Maybe Mark Garagos (spelling?) will be doing sub-woofer bandpass enclosure construction at Al's Audio in Venice Beach, or its equivalent? I love watching the Hollywood crowd eat crow - first the election, now the Peterson trial. Yeah, baby, yeah!
lmao
Old 11-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Instructor

I'm going to attempt this mod by getting led light bars from superbrightleds.com. They also sell the wires for very cheap. I was wondering if 6 leds or 12 leds is better. Is 12 too much? Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
what about those cold cathodes people put in theri computers?

http://www.pctoyland.com/prod_40.htm

There even ones that pulse to music for you rice-boys
Old 11-17-2004, 03:47 AM
Instructor

Yeah I have a 12-inch blue cold cathode under each of the front seats, and one blue LED for each of the back seats. Honestly, occasionally on a long road trip I wish I could dim the cathodes, but overall it's definitely sharp looking and worth it.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oil Fighter
MisterLawyer,

Which fuse in the underhood fusebox did you use? I take it what you're saying is that, your footwell light will stay on when the car is on, and won't dim with the interrior lights?
I used the fuse for the headlights. That way the footwell lights are on whenever the headlights are on. You're right, though, that they won't dim with the interior lights. I don't mind that, though, because you only notice them at night anyways, and they give a nice ambient glow.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Instructor

For the cathode tubes, you have to install a transformer as well? Is it difficult to adapt to the 12V fusebox?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yauser
For the cathode tubes, you have to install a transformer as well? Is it difficult to adapt to the 12V fusebox?

The cathodes already come with transformers.

Computers run most peripherals off of 12V.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Mastershake is right.

If you are familiar with a molex connector (standard computer internal parts connector), the yellow wire is 12v and the black wire next to it is ground.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Instructor

You can buy the neon tubes for cars. Check your local Big Lots discount store. They might have some. I got a pair for $3.00 each.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Slacker

I connected my footwell light to my domes, they dim and turn on and off with the domes by automatic activation (doors, etc) or by depressing the buttons for the domes, in essence they function identically to the dome lights, ill have pics tomorrow if anyones still interested
Old 11-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Very intersted, please post pics, and a DIY if possible.

Originally Posted by clewttu
I connected my footwell light to my domes, they dim and turn on and off with the domes by automatic activation (doors, etc) or by depressing the buttons for the domes, in essence they function identically to the dome lights, ill have pics tomorrow if anyones still interested
Old 11-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Wants an M3 in

where and how did u guys attach the bulb? I was thinking you guys used strips ...
Old 11-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Wants an M3 in

where and how did u guys attach the bulb? I was thinking you guys used the LED light strips ...
Old 11-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Slacker

i bought some 194 lamp holders at autozone so of i need to switch the bulbs out i can and velcroed them up underneath towards the back, once you get them working its just a matter of placing them where you think the light looks best when on, then putting some velcro there. the velcro gives some flexibility in the direction/arrangement ill take some pics tonight but it will be with my phone so im not sure how theyll come out
Old 11-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Instructor

I used velcro too. The only thing missing for me is the hookup to the dome light. I can't wait for your DIY steps.

Quick Reply: How To: Additional interior lights mod