Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda vs. Acura pricing, and part # confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Honda vs. Acura pricing, and part # confusion

does acura typically charge more for the same part (same part number) compared with honda?

also, have you ever taken something out and the part number is different from what's on OEM Acura Parts?

i took out the air mix control motor, OEM Acura parts (#11) says it's part 79166-SEP-A02
(http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-pa...peed-automatic)

the number printed on my part says 79279.

is this because they updated the part? 07 base TL.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
I've had cases where the part number was different. It's most likely because the part was indeed updated. So if you get a different part number for the exact same part, that's the number you want to use.

As for Honda/Acura part pricing, I usually assume Acura does indeed charge more if you go to the dealer in person to get a part. For the parts that are just copy and paste between the Honda and Acura models, the list price is exactly the same. The markup is what's higher when comparing Honda and Acura dealers. However, this doesn't change the fact that Honda dealer markup will still be outrageous.

Online, it's different though, because, as you know, the prices are discounted. In this case, Honda can sometimes be more expensive. For example, I chose 38300-SHJ-A04, which is the relay assembly for the turn signals and the hazards. It's listed on acuraoemparts.com (Delray Acura) for $30.32, listed at Acura of Pembroke Pines via estore.honda.com for $32.34, and, through the same honda site, listed at Aventura Honda for $36.38. These prices vary from dealer to dealer and also with time, so the results will not always be the same.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:51 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
My experience is also that Acura does charge more for the same things. Having a CR-V and a TL in the garage often highlights these things. When I can I'll place one order with an online OEM Honda parts place for CR-V parts and cross ref whatever I need for my TL over to Honda parts. Conversely when I need something specific to the TL I might order stuff for the CR-V from the Acura place if a cross ref exists. Even if it's a tad more it still beats two separate orders and 2 shipping costs. Now, if Bernardi Acura and Bernardi Honda could just throw crap in one box I'd be a happy camper. But alas, they can't. No disrespect to the sponsors here but since I'm nearer Bernardi than them the lower shipping often makes a big difference.

While I have not tried this recently, local Honda and Acura dealers used to be receptive to the offer to match on line prices to my door and not including any sales tax. So a $100 part that was $10 to ship would be $110+tax locally. That often was a pretty good deal since you could get the part same day and be sure it was exactly what you need.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Acura doesn't always charge more. Msrp is always the same, since Honda America company dictates the msrp. However some dealers choose to mark up prices. Most of those dealers are acura dealers since it makes sense to charge more at an acura dealership. However, I'm lucky because the acura dealership in my city actually has no markup from MSRP, and they give me 20% off since I go there so often. The honda dealership down the street marks UP from msrp and does not give me any discounts. So I'm sure YMMV
Old 05-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you guys in the US are lucky with your pricing. i'm in Canada and i just paid $10 (local Honda dealership) for a part that retails in the US for $5 and can be had online for $4 (cable for heater control valve). this trend holds true for more expensive parts. while not always double the US price, it's usually a lot more...and US online retailers don't seem to like to ship to Canada anymore...