Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hit tire tread on freeway and #$%&*@ up my side skirt

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
hit tire tread on freeway and #$%&*@ up my side skirt

Ok, so i dont have pictures yet, but i was just wondering how well the skirts were attached.

I was driving the other day when i noticed this full tire tread laying out in my lane. In its original position it would have allowed me to swerve to the left, but still in my lane to avoid it. The problem was, the person in front of me decided to hit it slightly which made it move more in the center of the lane, so i had no choice but to try to go over it. So i hit it and its makes some loud noises. I pull off to the side of the road to check out the damage and i notice that two clips on the back end of the rear passenger side skirt had broken and come loose. It is the part the rises up higher than the rest, right before it gets to the rear wheel. The top horizontal area right there has a slight gap. One push clip appears to have broken, another, which looks to slide in the skirt and then get pushed in the car, is still attached to the car, but is no longer attached to the skirt. Dont know how that one survived.

So, a few days later i was looking out the window and i notice something hanging from the front skirt half, on the same side as the other damage. I pulled it out and it was this fairly large piece of plastic that i assume once attached that portion of the skirt to the underside of the car. I gave the whole thing a few nice tugs, and it seemed secure. But i was just wondering how well these things are attached and if i should fear these things flying off while driving.

I plan on taking my car in soon for an oil change, and i will probably have them take a look and at least replace the rear broken clips, but i just thought i would get some opinions on the rest.

Thanks in advance for all the awesome and helpful hints and suggestions
Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Too hard to picture in my head what the hell happened to your car after you hit that tire. Ill try again later. hehehe
Old 06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by juruki
Too hard to picture in my head what the hell happened to your car after you hit that tire. Ill try again later. hehehe

hahaha, thanks

i wish i had pics, but i didnt think about posting till now, and i am at work. and i tried to word my issues as specific and direct as possible, but maybe they are only readable by me i will get some pics up later tonight...
Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a similar incedent in a way happen to me. My side skirt got dragged on a lift at a exhaust shop (car is a bit low) and it popped off one of the clips at the front of mine. It hasnt been a real big issue for me, occasionally ill have to push it back a 1/8th of a inch to line it all back up, but it shows no sign of falling off.

Pics will better help get answers in your case.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:27 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
double stick tape it for the mean time
Old 06-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by stillhere153
double stick tape it for the mean time

good idea

but to be honest, its really not that bad looking, and you may not notice unless you are trying. but i will throw some on tonight just to be sure, but thats after i take some "before" pics...

I guess my main issue is that i didnt install it, so its hard for me to tell what else is holding it on.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
pictures?
btw blkaspec...are those the type s tail lights you have on in your avatar? just wondering...think you could get a better angle of em' if possible?!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by erick3
pictures?
btw blkaspec...are those the type s tail lights you have on in your avatar? just wondering...think you could get a better angle of em' if possible?!
they are coming, they are coming. i am still at work....

no, they are stock 06 with cutout overlays
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=overlay
Old 06-02-2008, 02:28 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Is there something wrong always happening to NBP
Old 06-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,050 Posts

if youre not sure just duct tape it until you can geti it checked.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Go back and get the tire tread. They had a thing on tire-retreading on "How things are made" on discovery or TLC, or whatever network. They said that tire-retreading places put a traceable serial number on all their retreads, so you can not only trace the retread back to who did the retreading, but to which trucking company purchased the retreads...

See if you can do that, and make the trucking company pay for your damages.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Full of water...

Ok, so here is the rear portion of the skirt nearest to the back tire. As you can see, the two push clips have either broken(the one on the left) or popped off the skirt but remained on the car(the one on the right)

And here is the piece that broke off the front portion of the skirt, and is located about a foot or slightly more away from the area closest to the front tire. Sorry for the dirt, i live off of muddy roads. I did take a look at the same piece on the drivers side, and it really doesnt appear to be attached to anything. But since i didnt install these, i dont really know what is suppose to be attached to what.

This is abouts where is came from.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
I am assuming that small plastic bit has some clean plastic edge on it indicating it broke off of something right? Well it appears that it may be the bottom lip of your side spoilers as indicated below.

If it is broken in the rear, might not be a big deal, but if it is in the front there is a chance it could grab onto something next time you drive over something and do more damage.

Not serious, make your car pull to the side and roll over on itself 10 times damage (since the spoiler is held by plastic clips) but damage enough to make you cry every time you think about it.

That being said, I would assess the situation and make the necessary repairs.

The clip on the right looks as if it simply needs to be pulled out of the fender panel, and reinserted into the spoiler for attachment (picture 2) the clip on the left (picture 2 as well) looks as if it is clean broken, so it may need replacement.

best of luck!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Full of water...

Thanks for the pic, but i dont think it came from the very front. I did a very crude drawing of where it is located, or around where it is located. With the skirt attached, that broken piece is actually between the skirt and the under side of the car.

If you see the second pic of me holding that piece, you can notice that circular push pin type thing on the opposite side that my hand is. That pin part is actually facing down and toward the center of the car, at least thats what it looks like on the drivers side. I actually had to wiggle this piece a bit in order to get it dislodged, it was hanging, but it wasnt fully off.

Now that i look at it, it doesnt look as bad as i once thought.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
Glad to hear it...I hate those damn tire treads..the worst is when another car barely hits it, and it comes flying up in the air at you...then you need some serious evasive maneuvering to keep from getting hit by it.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Full of water...

Ok, so i took another look at the non-broken side, and that piece doesnt appear to do anything. And it is attached to the skirt just to the rear of the jack point cutout.

Any thoughts what this should do?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by avs007
Go back and get the tire tread. They had a thing on tire-retreading on "How things are made" on discovery or TLC, or whatever network. They said that tire-retreading places put a traceable serial number on all their retreads, so you can not only trace the retread back to who did the retreading, but to which trucking company purchased the retreads...

See if you can do that, and make the trucking company pay for your damages.

I wish, but it was outside a construction zone on Friday, and is about 40min from my house, so i think i am just going to eat the cost of any damage

But i did think i caught some of that. I also saw something where you can tell how old the tires are. There is an oval with three to four numbers in it. If there are only three, you tires were made in the 90's, if there are four then they are made in the 2000's. The first two numbers are the week they were produced, and the last one or two numbers is the year. One of mine are like 4206 ish, so the 42nd week in 2006. But some places like Sears were caught selling tires that were over the expiration date of like 7 yrs or something. Not sure the exact number, but its not that long.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

you could put duct tape where that thing was. And just reinstall the aspec with both rear clips
Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Fyre Man
you could put duct tape where that thing was. And just reinstall the aspec with both rear clips
you and your duct tape, why i awta :troutslap

i will probably just reinstall the clips like you said, i just dont know what that other piece does, and would love to know if someone has an idea.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 AM
aw1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
judging by your pictures, looks like you need to get 1 push tab that broke off. the other one that is still on the car is fine. just need to re-hook the side kit back on. very easy to do since i just did mine this weekend. the piece you are holding in your hand does do anything.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by aw1
judging by your pictures, looks like you need to get 1 push tab that broke off. the other one that is still on the car is fine. just need to re-hook the side kit back on. very easy to do since i just did mine this weekend. the piece you are holding in your hand does do anything.

Thank you!

but was that suppose to be a "doesnt" do anything?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 AM
aw1
Pro

Originally Posted by blkaspec
Thank you!

but was that suppose to be a "doesnt" do anything?

thanks for catching that. meant to say doesnt.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by aw1
thanks for catching that. meant to say doesnt.

cool, thank you very much
Old 06-03-2008, 10:24 AM
aw1
Pro

I will go home and look under the car again tonight to verify that piece again. All I remember was that piece in your hand did not mount to anything.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Originally Posted by blkaspec
you and your duct tape, why i awta :troutslap

i will probably just reinstall the clips like you said, i just dont know what that other piece does, and would love to know if someone has an idea.
haha if its supposed to be together, use the tape. if it's suposed to be apart, use a crowbar.

I mean, i would work as a temporary solution, and it's gonna be where no one can see it.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:04 PM
aw1
Pro

just checked, the piece does not do anything.