Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP with seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
HELP with seafoam

I tried the seafoam today in my 05 TL and my wifes 03 accord v6. I took the hose from the manifold out and let it suck half of the bottle of seafoam. and i turn the car back of and plug the hose back and pour half of the seafoam in the gas tank, i waited 15 mins before i started teh car back up and rev so it would smoke. i sat there and rev the car for about 10 mins and no smoke would come out!!!! did i do something worng????
Old 04-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you actualy drive the car? Even still you still may not get any smoke.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You forgot to pour it in the motor too

Did u pour it in a pretty empty tank? u dont neccessarily have to do a empty tank but it'll clean it better..after that smash on
Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Pro

my wifes car didnt want to stay on for a while. i had to leave the car sitting there at idle with ym feet on the gas for about and hour. so it can burn up some of that seafoam because it wouldent idle. i then let it sit there at idle rev it and when rpm went down it cut off so i let it sit there at idle for about an hour. did i do somethign wrong? i watch the diy on youtube. and did what they did
Old 04-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

seafoaming the car is pretty simple..

What i do is pour half the bottle in the motor and a pretty empty tank and smash off.

For some, it smokes, for other it dont
Old 04-25-2009, 04:55 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
U should try the process again in like 2months. But this time, sip it through the vac line, half of the bottle, make sure the engine is hot before u do this. Let the car sit for 45-1 hr. Then rev it a couple of times, and go for a sprinted drive. Most shitty cars smoke alot, i think its emberresing seeing our car smoke like an old crappy toyota.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by bukjoe15
I tried the seafoam today in my 05 TL and my wifes 03 accord v6. I took the hose from the manifold out and let it suck half of the bottle of seafoam. and i turn the car back of and plug the hose back and pour half of the seafoam in the gas tank, i waited 15 mins before i started teh car back up and rev so it would smoke. i sat there and rev the car for about 10 mins and no smoke would come out!!!! did i do something worng????
my understanding is that you shut it off while its sipping seafoam so some gets into the motor and can sit on the crud to help desolve it. Then you wait 15 mins and then go for a drive. I did this and it was smoking.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:02 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seafoamed my 05 with 48k miles and I hardly saw smoke. Just one big puff of smoke during the warm up drive.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Instructor

I seafoamed mine twice in 2 days

First attempt I read the can so I used 1/3 a can. The engine was cold. No smoke. Either not enough seafoam or the engine wasn't warmed up.

Second attempt. 3/5th a can and hot engine. So much smoke the driver 100 feet behind me stopped. The cel came on for a minute and went off. The idle was really low, almost felt like it was going to stall. Kept driving for 2 miles doing spirited driving. Got to destination and parked for 10 mins. The car ran fine again afterwards.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I'm too lazy to search, eventhough this has been discussed gazillion times what's the benefit of seafoam? I know its along the lines of better gas mileage but do you get better throttle response as well?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:44 PM
A Black TL

In some cases, yes. But thats if u have over 100k miles on the car, and thier is alot of carbon buildup in the engine. But most likey not really, were u can actaully tell a diff.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

"What your motor feels, u feel"

ever see that commercial? I think it was for penzoil motor oil lol
Old 04-25-2009, 11:51 PM
A Black TL

lol i hate stupid commercials like that. They make me laugh, at thier retardness.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Former Street Racer

think with your dipstick jimmy! lol i love that commericial
Old 04-26-2009, 01:05 AM
B A N N E D

Wen should u Seafoam i got a 04 wit 90k so i guess it might be time to seafoam?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there is a very good DIY seafoam in gen3 titled seafoam diy-specifically 05 (thats what is was tested/photo on, but its all the gen3)

Forget everything you saw on utube or read on the can and follow the well tested ziner method
1 can in intake vac port on top of intake manifold at TB throat
1 can in 1/2 tank gas (2oz per gal gas is cleaning doseage)
Be sure to spray clean the TB plate-both sides and edges- important!

Optional- 1/2 to 1 can in the engine oil 10-30 minutes running right before change of oil and filter

Warm up drive and immediate seafoam with engine running-
when done applying, then 5-15 minutes MAX waiting time with engine off
Keeping it all warm is key

The majority of the smoke is the oils in seafoam reacting to HEAT in the cat.
The carbon residue it very hard to see thru the mirrors while driving it hard afterwards to blow all the gunk out~
CEL is from not enough heat or hard drive, crud gets stuck on the o2 sensor but burns off and all is well

1st timers repeat in a month or 2 then good for a year/ 15k miles
Should start doing this at 50k miles
The additives in gas leave behind so much stuff- the cars performance suffers

bg44 and a few others are also good
Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

csmeance

You dont have to FOG the engine with seafoam on normal cleanings- thats when you put some in slow then hit it with a long heavy shot causing it to stall.
Thats something you do before storing the lawn mower for winter or the car for several months,,or restoring an old dead engine (did it on my bike, worked great. lowered rpm by150-200 at idle! and smooth,,,has clean rings now~)

For the TL, do most of it at idle or slightly high idle, and according to the Deep Creep can (seafoam in aerosol form) you can do a 2500rpm blast to really get stuff done!
do that after softening and removing with the idle speed
Possibly do that as a second treatment after the initial and burn off drive- then hit the intake with 2500 rpm spraying and a short drive to clean the cat
Old 04-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Team Owner

non believers should see youtube vids of induction cleaning,,iirc wynss made it and there were others alongside- with a boroscope camera inside the engine while running and getting cleaner added
There is huge amounts of crud on everyones valves and piston tops
If you use gasoline to run the car- its there
Old 04-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

how about dont seafoam your car, shyt is retarted
Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
U should try the process again in like 2months. But this time, sip it through the vac line, half of the bottle, make sure the engine is hot before u do this. Let the car sit for 45-1 hr. Then rev it a couple of times, and go for a sprinted drive. Most shitty cars smoke alot, i think its emberresing seeing our car smoke like an old crappy toyota.
I did sipit through the vac line, and half of the bottle. the engine was hot i drove to autozone and back. then i began the process of the seafoam i used half the bottle in the intake vacum line and half in the tank. i just though i did somethign wrong when it didnt smoke!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by csmeance
my understanding is that you shut it off while its sipping seafoam so some gets into the motor and can sit on the crud to help desolve it. Then you wait 15 mins and then go for a drive. I did this and it was smoking.
No i didnt shut it of. but i did stall it a couple of time by sipping to much. i got dont sipping half the seafoam in then i turn the car off. pour half in the GAS tank, "with the car off" waited 15 to 20 mins and then started it back up. and started to rev the motor but i didnt see any smoke. so i though i did something wrong. I think i done it right.

Originally Posted by HONgDA
I seafoamed my 05 with 48k miles and I hardly saw smoke. Just one big puff of smoke during the warm up drive.
yea i didnt see any smoke so i though i did somethign wrong

Originally Posted by yiujai86
I seafoamed mine twice in 2 days

First attempt I read the can so I used 1/3 a can. The engine was cold. No smoke. Either not enough seafoam or the engine wasn't warmed up.

Second attempt. 3/5th a can and hot engine. So much smoke the driver 100 feet behind me stopped. The cel came on for a minute and went off. The idle was really low, almost felt like it was going to stall. Kept driving for 2 miles doing spirited driving. Got to destination and parked for 10 mins. The car ran fine again afterwards.
See mine didnt smoke at all but the car felt good after wards. when do i need to repeat?

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
there is a very good DIY seafoam in gen3 titled seafoam diy-specifically 05 (thats what is was tested/photo on, but its all the gen3)

Forget everything you saw on utube or read on the can and follow the well tested ziner method
1 can in intake vac port on top of intake manifold at TB throat
1 can in 1/2 tank gas (2oz per gal gas is cleaning doseage)
Be sure to spray clean the TB plate-both sides and edges- important!

Optional- 1/2 to 1 can in the engine oil 10-30 minutes running right before change of oil and filter

Warm up drive and immediate seafoam with engine running-
when done applying, then 5-15 minutes MAX waiting time with engine off
Keeping it all warm is key

The majority of the smoke is the oils in seafoam reacting to HEAT in the cat.
The carbon residue it very hard to see thru the mirrors while driving it hard afterwards to blow all the gunk out~
CEL is from not enough heat or hard drive, crud gets stuck on the o2 sensor but burns off and all is well

1st timers repeat in a month or 2 then good for a year/ 15k miles
Should start doing this at 50k miles
The additives in gas leave behind so much stuff- the cars performance suffers

bg44 and a few others are also good
I did almost this except the Spraying the throthle body part and pouring that much seafoam into the gas tank..

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
non believers should see youtube vids of induction cleaning,,iirc wynss made it and there were others alongside- with a boroscope camera inside the engine while running and getting cleaner added
There is huge amounts of crud on everyones valves and piston tops
If you use gasoline to run the car- its there
Thanks man
Old 04-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Pro

THE MOST INPORTANT QUESTION IS. I seafoam my wifes car, "on cold" but i didnt knwo that you suppose to do it on warm. i did half in the intake vaccumm hose, i did shut the car off and pour half in the gas tank. i waited 15 or 20 mins to crank the car back up so i can rev. i rev the car for 10 or 20 mins stright. but didnt get a result in smoke. so i said fuck it. i went to drive the car around the block. the car kept stalling at low rpm. i did it for about and hour. so i parked it and kept reving the motor then i took the car for a spin again. it still kept stalling the car would shut off when my feet was on the brakes and the car was in drive. I said to my self.. "DAMN SHE IS GOING TO KILL ME" i drove it home thinnk why it wont idle normal. so i took the vacum hose back off so it can stay on so i can let it sit there and burn all that seafoam that was probilly causing it to stall and idle really low. i left the car running for an hour and then every thing went back to normal she said the car feels better but i couldnt tell a diffrents lucky me i didnt get killed that day