Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a noob get a deal on the TL.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Help a noob get a deal on the TL.

We are going to get a 2004 or 2005 TL. I went to the dealer this past weekend, and test drove a Anthracite 04 Navi w/ 17K miles. Before I went I did some research (brought some 04 adds from autotrader.com, and printed some online posts for what people are paying for an 05 w/ Navi.) Dealer is asking $31.5K for this used one. I asked why would I pay that when for $1K more I can get a new one. Also I showed him some adds of other 04's w/ NAVI where the asking price is $29K some w/ less miles.

His response was that he doesn't like to waste time negotiating, that's as far as he can go. Heres where he knows he has us. For the 04 he can give us a 3.9% finance rate, a new one is 6.9%. Even if we buy used from an individual, the rate will be around 6.5%-7% so he says. Also with the certified preown, they throw in a free 100K mile warranty (to ease peoples concerns buying used). New they only come with a 60K mile warranty (he claims this extension is worth 1K). So that 1K difference in price (new vs used) ends up being about $5K at the end of the loan. He won't sell a new one for $32.5 anyway.

We really want one, but they have the best advertised price in our area. As we walked away we mentioned we were going to check out the G35 sedan hoping he would bite, but nothing. Any thing we can do to get a better deal? I was thinking to go back and offer $31K, and ask them to throw on a rear decklid spoiler ($400 for us, $100 for them). Maybe the next maintenance service for free.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by wilsel
We are going to get a 2004 or 2005 TL. I went to the dealer this past weekend, and test drove a Anthracite 04 Navi w/ 17K miles. Before I went I did some research (brought some 04 adds from autotrader.com, and printed some online posts for what people are paying for an 05 w/ Navi.) Dealer is asking $31.5K for this used one. I asked why would I pay that when for $1K more I can get a new one. Also I showed him some adds of other 04's w/ NAVI where the asking price is $29K some w/ less miles.

His response was that he doesn't like to waste time negotiating, that's as far as he can go. Heres where he knows he has us. For the 04 he can give us a 3.9% finance rate, a new one is 6.9%. Even if we buy used from an individual, the rate will be around 6.5%-7% so he says. Also with the certified preown, they throw in a free 100K mile warranty (to ease peoples concerns buying used). New they only come with a 60K mile warranty (he claims this extension is worth 1K). So that 1K difference in price (new vs used) ends up being about $5K at the end of the loan. He won't sell a new one for $32.5 anyway.

We really want one, but they have the best advertised price in our area. As we walked away we mentioned we were going to check out the G35 sedan hoping he would bite, but nothing. Any thing we can do to get a better deal? I was thinking to go back and offer $31K, and ask them to throw on a rear decklid spoiler ($400 for us, $100 for them). Maybe the next maintenance service for free.
Go to another dealer. When sales people aren't willing to work with you on the price, then they aren't worth your time. I remember when shopping for my TL, this sale person at Acura Carland wanted to charge me sticker for an 04 TL in late October, wouldn't budge on the price at all. I went to Ed Voyles and got an 05 TL for over $1000 less than MSRP.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to another dealer.. and get a new one... only way to justified your calculation of $5000 difference is, if you actually get to use your extended warranty and only if you keep your car over duration of your loan payments...

also you can get 5.25% APR from Capital One from Lendingtree.com .. so I wouldn't worry too much over difference of 3.9% to 5.25%... getting lowest possible price is more important than saving couple of percentage off from the loan...

I don't know what area you live, but I would def advise you to hit acura.com and request quotes from multiple dealers in your area... I've gotten great response from all the dealers and I've gotten great offers from many dealers... (I don't have the car yet... they are looking for my color combo.. but we have agreed on the price of the car at 32.5K for navi) also you can forward email from another dealer to another and ask to bring the price down... after this experience, I would NEVER buy a car in person....

In addition, this is a great time for you as it's almost end of the month and end of 2nd quarter.. so if that particular dealer doesn't make you feel comfortable.. then you can certainly find another one...
Old 06-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
Go to another dealer. When sales people aren't willing to work with you on the price, then they aren't worth your time. I remember when shopping for my TL, this sale person at Acura Carland wanted to charge me sticker for an 04 TL in late October, wouldn't budge on the price at all. I went to Ed Voyles and got an 05 TL for over $1000 less than MSRP.
Ed Voyles is where we went. Acura Carland is the most expensive in our area. Do you remember which salesman you worked with? The only place left to check is Nalley Acura. This guy even said "I think you should go check the other dealers" at the end of our discussion. I'd be willing to fly to another state and drive it back to save $2K if I have too.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

Ed Voyles is where we went. Acura Carland is the most expensive in our area. Do you remember which salesman you worked with? The only place left to check is Nalley Acura. This guy even said "I think you should go check the other dealers" at the end of our discussion. I'd be willing to fly to another state and drive it back to save $2K if I have too.

I acutally had gone to Voyles first when looking at the new TL's, and I worked with Antonio Norris but but he was a jerk and didn't seem like he wanted to help me at all. Didn't say ANYTHING during the test drive, and bad mouthed my current car and acted like I couldn't afford the TL. My experience with him was so bad that I even reported him to the manager.

At Carland the guy I dealth with was Rich Mahoney. He was a nice guy buy VERY pushy, and wouldn't budge on the price. It felt like he was trying to rip me off, so I decided to go back to Voyles.

When I went back to Voyles a second time I worked with Benjamin Wheeler, and had a much better experience!! Best salesperson I ever worked with! It felt even better because Antonio was there when I was finishing the deal on my new TL! I made sure he saw me too!

Try working with Benjamin Wheeler, or Kevin Riley at Voyles. I almost bought a 03 TL-S from Riley back in 2003, but got a 04 Maxima instead. (stupid me!!)
Old 06-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my '04TL for $2000 under MSRP. Try the online quote thing, then see what happens. Once they realize you've got the cash and are going to buy a car from someone, they will start to deal seriously. BTW...the price for the used TL is horrible. You'd be lucky to get $27,000 on a trade for the same car. They're making (trying) a killing on that car at $31.5. You can do better...just don't be in a hurry.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Car Addict

6.9% on a new one? Maybe if your credit is in the 600's.

Look online, and then call or email the online contacts. Those are the internet sales managers. They will be very competitive. Don't talk to the rest of the sales people. We paid like $33,500 for our 6MT, 2005 Navi with mud guards, trunk tray, lugs, and regular tires. I pushed like crazy for $33,300 and was rebuffed.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

Ok I just finished negotiating my 2005 TL Black/Ebony Auto-Navi. I live in Miami, FL. The local dealers were a pain in the ass, wouldn't budge from 900+ over invoice. So I just said screw it and started emailing all the dealers from Miami up to 50 miles north (no dealers south of me hehe) basically stating I wanted to pay 32570 (includes destination). I got several responses back. The best was 400 over invoice (32955) + Tag&Title (no dealer fees). I was able to use this price with another dealer to get it down to 200 over invoice, but he wouldn't have the car until Sat. I said screw it, I need a car today, it would cost me 100 for a car rental (I sent my leased car to shop to paint some bad scratches) which would mean, 15 miles more north to save 100. Not worth it. Plus, the fact that the 400 over invoice dealer was easy to work with earned him some brownie points. I called him, no games, he flat out gave me that price. As for financing, well if your credit is good, try Pentagon Federal Credit Union. You have to pay like 10 dollars to join , but their rates are like 4.25 - 4.65 for 60 months. They always have some of the best rates.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by psypher
As for financing, well if your credit is good, try Pentagon Federal Credit Union. You have to pay like 10 dollars to join , but their rates are like 4.25 - 4.65 for 60 months. They always have some of the best rates.
How can I join when I am not affiliated with any military branch?????
Old 06-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by parkkuen
How can I join when I am not affiliated with any military branch?????
Give them a call. Credit unions have relaxed their membership rules and you just might qualify.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ron A
Give them a call. Credit unions have relaxed their membership rules and you just might qualify.

I will thank you sir... I was pre approved for my credit union for 5.24%... this should save me $300 for my loan period.. thanks...
Old 06-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Pro

I got mine at invoice a month ago...6 spd/navi...$32555...Scarsdale, NY
Old 06-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Racer

dude, what? you showed him an add that offered a better deal. why don't you start with that dealer??
Old 06-22-2005, 05:41 PM
6MT & LSD

Wow, that salesperson sounds like a total dick. I would've laughed in his face if he fed me that non-sense and simply walked out.

First off, new car finance rates SHOULD be lower than a used one, which raises a flag for a ripoff in my book. Second, once you showed interest in a used one, most all dealers will not budge on the new ones - they want to get rid of the used ones ASAP and will feed you BS on how it comes with extended warranty, and the price seems high because of its high resale value, and it's practically impossible to compare used car prices.

Call other dealerships, and BS them if you have to (they certainly would) - ask them to check if the desired trim/color combo is in their lot, and tell them you have an offer for 32.8k~ from a different dealership, and ask them to beat it - the least they'll do is match the price, in which case you ask them to throw in some free goodies (just don't over do it).

If your credit's good (i.e. 700+), then you should be able to get under 5% APR through AHFC.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Find another dealer!!! Some salespeople think that because the car is selling so well, they don't need to bother negotiating. They fail to remember that consumers have a lot more information at their fingertips and let sales walk off their lots because they are unwilling to work for a sale.... Eventhough it is part of their job description.

That salesperson was a complete a$$..... I got my '05 TL (non-navi) for about $600 over invoice which is a few $ more than the invoice price listed on KBB.com.... I did my homework before walking into the dealership and got everything that I wanted.

As far as financing rates, check out credit unions in your area... I'd be willing to bet that they are offering rates lower than 6.9% on a new car.

When you buy your new TL, stop by this dealership and find the salesperson and show off your new car!!
Old 06-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up It may not be local to you, but I have a suggestion..

I purchased my car from these guys, and Norm (the internet sales guy) is awesome.. I highly recommend them... I found my car on Ebay Motors, but they happen to be in my hometown which is 30 mins from where I am now. Anyhow, it appears they have a couple TL's for sale again...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

If you decide to go to him, tell him I sent ya... Bill Bell with the Red TL..

BTW, if you scroll down the description you'll see me and my car driving away...
Old 06-23-2005, 02:32 AM
Team Nighthawk

Sounds like the salesman is an A$$. Don't deal with them. The interest rate he quoted you is pretty bad. Check with credit unions like some of the guys have stated here. I dealt with Alliant credit union and there rates are awsome. Right now you can get 3.9% financing on a new car for up to 72 months!!!! and 4.4% for used. Shop around. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by erok72
Find another dealer!!! Some salespeople think that because the car is selling so well, they don't need to bother negotiating. They fail to remember that consumers have a lot more information at their fingertips and let sales walk off their lots because they are unwilling to work for a sale.... Eventhough it is part of their job description.

That salesperson was a complete a$$..... I got my '05 TL (non-navi) for about $600 over invoice which is a few $ more than the invoice price listed on KBB.com.... I did my homework before walking into the dealership and got everything that I wanted.

As far as financing rates, check out credit unions in your area... I'd be willing to bet that they are offering rates lower than 6.9% on a new car.

When you buy your new TL, stop by this dealership and find the salesperson and show off your new car!!
Yes 6.9% for a new car is rather high. CarMax sells used cars and the interest rate is still generally lower than 6.9%

When i bought my TL back in November 04, I went to lending tree and got an offer for 4.23% for 60. I told my sales person and they beat it, giving me 4.09% for 60.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:50 AM
Racer

Thanks for the help guys, both of our credit scores are in the high 700's, so i will definitely be looking at a better financing rate. I think I'll just try getting internet quotes for a new one since he doesn't want to budge. Once we get it my first road trip is going to be heading over to Ed Voyles, and looking interested in the RSX (and casually mention) "hey look we got our TL".
Old 06-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

Thanks for the help guys, both of our credit scores are in the high 700's, so i will definitely be looking at a better financing rate. I think I'll just try getting internet quotes for a new one since he doesn't want to budge. Once we get it my first road trip is going to be heading over to Ed Voyles, and looking interested in the RSX (and casually mention) "hey look we got our TL".
LOL I almost took my TL over to Carland just to show them that I got the car from another dealer!

Who was that jerk as ED Voyles that gave you a hard time? I might know who you are talking about!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
LOL I almost took my TL over to Carland just to show them that I got the car from another dealer!

Who was that jerk as ED Voyles that gave you a hard time? I might know who you are talking about!
Korean guy name Lindsy (Lindsay). I know he's not desperate for sales cause he was bragging that he is the only person the dealer advertises for, how he's bilingual (producing the highest sales volume of anyone there). He was a nice guy, but not willing to give us a deal. Maybe I should of asked for the lowest producing salesman.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

i got my 04 navi 6mt for just a little more than that price brand new and that was over a year ago. the prices have come down a bit as the car is no longer that rare. don't buy a used one at that price, it is a total rippoff. they are not "throwing" in any 100K warranty, it's just acura' s policy for certified pre-owned cars. the dealer you are working with is a total tool and do not trust him. there are other dealers out there, and believe it or not some that are nice. go purchase the car somewhere else then drive back there and rub it in his face that because he was a prick that he just lost a sale. then tell him that you posted your experience where and that he will not be getting any customers from acurazine.(we should have a bad dealers sticky thread).