Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed 2nd to 3rd ignore in SS.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed 2nd to 3rd ignore in SS.

I know this topic has been covered a little before, but just got back from the Acura service dept. After 2 days they say that their is nothing wrong with my SS ignoring the shift from 2nd to 3rd. We went on a test drive and it did it almost every time to the suprise of the manager. We drove 2 more TL's on the lot and was able to do it there too. He was very nice at Palm Beach Acura and said he would find out what if anything he could find out with the dist. manager. Has Anyone been able to fix the problem????
Old 09-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Racer

What is SS ? Do automatci 5 spd transmission have these?

Does my 04 tl have SS ?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

Sport Shift, Tiptronic, etc...every car company calls it something dif. but all the same I think?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
What you meant? Ignoring the shift from 2nd to 3rd?

Your SS will bypass 2nd gear??
Old 09-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Racer

weird...
Old 09-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
What you meant? Ignoring the shift from 2nd to 3rd?

Your SS will bypass 2nd gear??

I think he's saying when he upshifts from 2nd the 3rd in SS, the tranny does not shift from 2nd to 3rd as it should
Old 09-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

That is correct. Under full power the car acts like it does not feel me try to shift to 3rd and unless I hit it 2x the car will redline.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Cruisin'

Not Shifting Into 3rd

Get It Fixed Asap. There Is A Sensor Somewhere That Is Telling The "SS" Mode Not To Go Into Third Because It Might Do Damage To The Transmission. Question, Does It Blink The #3 In The Little Digital Screen When You Want To Shift Into 3rd Or Does It Note Even Show Up There Until You Have To Shift To 4th?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
So, your tanny has an issue!? I don't have to command my SS mode twice or more to upshift from 2nd to 3rd.

I don't think this is normal or I haven't figured out this secret trick inside my tranny??
Old 11-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Originally Posted by AcuraTLInjen
Get It Fixed Asap. There Is A Sensor Somewhere That Is Telling The "SS" Mode Not To Go Into Third Because It Might Do Damage To The Transmission. Question, Does It Blink The #3 In The Little Digital Screen When You Want To Shift Into 3rd Or Does It Note Even Show Up There Until You Have To Shift To 4th?
i have the same problem as the original poster, you can try this too..

floor the car in 2nd, then let go of the gas fully, then try to upshift right away, the digital number doesnt say "3" i usually have to push it up one or 2 more times in order for the ecu to recognize it.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Why don't you try NOT shifting right when it hits redline. The software for the SS is programed to have a delay in the shifting process in order to preserve the transmissions longevity. If your shifting right at redline, the software doesn't have enough time to shift and therefore hits the limiter. Try flooring the car in second gear and using SS shift to third gear before redline (try 1,000 rpm less just as a test) and see if it still ignores you. So when the RPMS hit 6k or so, hit the shift lever once to upshift to third and see if it ignores you. I have a feeling it won't. I just think your shifting to much into redline and the ecu cuts the fuel before the tranny has time to shift. You did say that you drove other TL's on the lot and they were doing the same thing. If this were a problem and the TL's on the lot had it, I'm sure you would have been joined by many others with this complaint. So no offense or anything, your just choosing to high of an RPM to shift at.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Racer

Did this person have a manual transmission? I have the problem at 40 MPH....will not shift out of whatever that gear is ..but I have an automatic and I found there were a few other's on this board that said 40MPH is giving them the same symptom ..so I wondered if this person who posted this topic and the responses are speaking of a manual or an automatic transmission?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Originally Posted by vtecracer
Why don't you try NOT shifting right when it hits redline. The software for the SS is programed to have a delay in the shifting process in order to preserve the transmissions longevity. If your shifting right at redline, the software doesn't have enough time to shift and therefore hits the limiter. Try flooring the car in second gear and using SS shift to third gear before redline (try 1,000 rpm less just as a test) and see if it still ignores you. So when the RPMS hit 6k or so, hit the shift lever once to upshift to third and see if it ignores you. I have a feeling it won't. I just think your shifting to much into redline and the ecu cuts the fuel before the tranny has time to shift. You did say that you drove other TL's on the lot and they were doing the same thing. If this were a problem and the TL's on the lot had it, I'm sure you would have been joined by many others with this complaint. So no offense or anything, your just choosing to high of an RPM to shift at.
the problem isnt happening at redline, it actually shifts nice at redline, its when your accelerating at like 4500 in 2nd and push it up to third...sometimes it wont go into third unless u push it up again
Old 11-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I posted this months ago and a few others had the same problem. My 2000 TL did the same exact thing, under stress, if you try to shift it to 3rd, it just ignores you and climbs right on up. It doesn't have to be at redline just anytime over about 4,000 rpm. My dealer said they couldn't reproduce it. But since we all know my TL is one ripe piece of lemonade scented shit, I'm not worried about it cuz i'm getting rid of it. Thank-f'ing-God.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:52 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Sherlock,

How do you REALLY feel?

-phil
Old 11-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Phil: And here was thinking I was being nice.. *g* It's a pretty bitter glass of lemonade. Of course the lady from Florida who pulled out in front of me who is now delaying my Lemon law filing just added to that flavor of lemonade, now it tastes like Florida sulferwater lemonade.

And it's a mighty nice estimate $$$ wise on fixing the TL, which I have to do now before I can cuntinue the the Lemon case.

FYI, if the airbags go off, they have to replace those, the dash, and all the pretensioners in ALL the seatbelts cuz they all fire on impact. Lotsa things ya don't think about.

But as for the 2nd to 3rd issue, it plagues me all the time. Ya go to hit it to 3rd, and it is a solid hit, I tried to dismiss that maybe I wasn't pushing it far enough, but it's to full stop, and it just never shifts. You can hit it 1/2 that far once in 3rd and it'll do 4th and 5th just fine, it's only 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes it will ignore me twice .. at that point I come off the gas and hit it really hard with a pause at full stroke, then it finally shifts.

And no, it's not the transmission as our shifter stick is just a computer controlled joystick, the computer tells the tranny what to do, so it's plain to see that it's programming, not anything physical.

And gee.. combine that with the 2nd gear not getting enough oil to cool it, and then 2nd gear getting wound up to redline cuz it doesn't shift, and boom, mmmm broken second gear issues. Oh right, I forgot, they fixed that in the 03 model. *cough*
Old 11-03-2004, 11:20 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by cliff
i have the same problem as the original poster, you can try this too..

floor the car in 2nd, then let go of the gas fully, then try to upshift right away, the digital number doesnt say "3" i usually have to push it up one or 2 more times in order for the ecu to recognize it.
Cliff,

I posted a similar message a while back too with the same thing happening. Its weird because my TL-S never had this problem. It kind of ticks me off because this is the shifting style i like using when in SS.

However, I will say that recently the problem dissapears on occasion and I'm able to gun it in 2nd gear to 5500 rpms or so, let go of the gas, and get back on it and I will be in 3rd. But, i still have the problem from time to time. I'm hoping this issue will completely resolve soon as i put some more miles with more sportshift use on the TL. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Advanced

shitty palm beach acura i hate em