Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello

Hi, im a new user and just stumbled upon this forum while searching stuff for the 04TL. I will be turning 18 in about a month and will also be graduatiing from HS. My father has talked to me about getting a car and i have been thinking about getting an 04TL. I have not seen the car yet in person, i have only actually read about it and seen it on the internet. So far, the car seems to be beautiful in looks and great in performance. I just wanted some opinions on the car and what you guys think about it. What color looks best on the car? I have heard Anthrice,silver, and blakc make it look good, but what do you think is the best? Also, is the navigation system worth it? I doubt i will ever use it for navigation but it does have other nice crap on it. Does it really make the inside look better, will it look weird or ugly on the inside if it lacks a navigation system. Do you recommend getting the full body kit from the dealer for the car? The front,back, side, and a wing? Also, does the side molding make the car look even better? Lastly, i have read there seem to be some problems with the car. If i buy it now will those problems have been already fixed if i get the car in about a month? Would you also recommend the 18'inch wheels from the dealer or something else? How do you guys like the car and the way it drives, does it feel fast and handle great?

I will aprreciate your answers and opinions, hope to hear from many of you.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!

turning 18 and being able to afford an '04 TL

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation.

If you really feel strongly about getting the '04 TL, then I suggest you just pick one without all the bells and whistles so that you don't have to worry much about making the monthly payments.

that's of course assuming Daddy won't pay for it (heh heh)
Old 03-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation Re: Hello

From Yonkers... my turbo tax always asks me if I'm the resident of Yonkers while filing my NYC tax return.

The best color is based on your preference. You may check this out... http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=74135

If you're going to college and having plenty of time to travel, Navi is useful device for you. IMO, it really makes 04TL look better inside. The body kits/skirts around the car looks decent, too. Side Molding could reduce some impact... only some...

Lots of questions could be figured out by yourself when test-driving other cars. I strongly recommend you to test drive other vehicles before purchasing 04TL. To try some RWD and FWD cars could make you understand more about handling/feeling/speed...

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

The TL is too much car for an 18 year old high schooler. You're 18.....don't drive a car designed for 35+ year old dads, no matter how "top of the line Honda" you may perceive it to be. The Betty's will be impressed with a $35k 3 series BMW if that's your game. A vintage '68 Corvette would make you look rather sophisticated. A few more bucks, and you're in a 3 year old Porsche Boxter which will get you girls *and* a better dorm location.

TL's the wrong car for ya, kid.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Racer

Lots of people put posts like this on forums for cars like BMW 3-series, etc. just waiting for the "controversy" they will stir up due to the people that will say "no way an 18 year-old should have a car this expensive", spoiled brat comments, etc. I have no idea if this thread was posted for that reason, but....beware.

(Just think what insurance would cost at 18 for this car...)
Old 03-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Racer

I really dont see a problem with a younger person driving a TL. It is a great car and looks nice too. My cousin has an older 99 RL and even that car is pretty good, the interior is so comfortable, so i cant even imagine how nice the inside of the 04 will be. My father decided to offer to get me a car on his own since i will be going to college and have done well to this point in school and in my college admissions. I will be attending either NYU or Columbia, it depends which one i like more. I did not post this thread to try to "show off" or anything, if i wanted to i would just ask if i should get this car or a sl600. Insurance probably wont be much of a problem since my father has special deals with insurance companies becuase of the business he is in. All i really wanted to hear is if you guys really enjoy this car and if it gives nice performence and quality for its price. I dont believe that i am spoiled or anythnig becuase i hardly ever ask my father for anything, and feel regretful taking money or anythnig else from him even when he offers me something. Im not a spoiled child who goes out and get drunk and drugged and comes home not knowing what the hell is going on, meanwhile his parents buy him everything he asks for. All my father wants to do is give me a generous present, if i was spoiled i would ask him to buy me a 6 series bmw or a benz.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Intermediate

Well said Murdock.

I'm not as young as you but I'm certainly not 35 and I think the car is a perfect fit for me. Dude you can not beat this cars value! It's a good choice for college IMHO.

It's got 4 doors while not being too big, the Nav adds major pimp factor and your friends will love it, the Bluetooth HFL will make it safer for you to drive and talk on the phone at the same time.

Here is my recommendation for the car. Get the 6 speed MT it makes the car more fun to drive, get the Nav, the side moldings are going to be a must (my car in college got owned by dings). I'm on the fence about the spoilers I only added the deck lid. Something about putting on a wing on a 4 door doesn't sit well with me.

All in all man. Test drive it, it's got a lot of power and it's got a lot of features that will distinguish your car from your friends car. DVD-A. Come on!
Old 03-28-2004, 01:20 AM
Drifting

Welcome Murdock,

Here's what I think:

-I personally like black the best, but you can't go wrong with any of the above. White's also pretty nice. The only ones I wouldn't get are green, red, and gold. Just my opinion.

-Definitely get the nav. It looks WAY better than non-nav and it has many other benefits as well. Try doing a search(top of page) and you'll find a ton of conversation on Navi vs non-nav.

-Definitely get the full bodykit too. It makes the car look 10x better in my opinion. Gives it a nice aggressive look. Just beautiful. Or you can hold out for an aftermarket bodykit, although I don't know when one would be available. I don't think there's much of an aftermarket for anything yet - so you have to give it time. I personally like the little lip spoiler better than the wing spoiler, simply because the wing looks like something you'd see on any civic on the road. The decklid spoiler is subtle, but nice.

-Some have had problems with a vibration or rattle here and there, but I'd say the vast majority of us are problem free and lovin our cars. The few problem cars out there get all the attention, but I assure you the majority is very happy(and silent) with their purchase. Remember, Acura is number 1 when it comes to reliability, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

-It's really up to you, regarding the wheels. If you're budget is unlimited(ish), you may want to get some nice aftermarket 19's or something. But I would definitely be satisfied with the OEM 18's. They're very nice wheels. It all comes down to personal taste. There's a section here devoted entirely to 'tires & wheels,' so you can get down to specifics in there if you want. Be sure to get some tint on there as well, and it'll look slick.

-The car has plenty of power, and is great handling as well. Of course, I'm only speaking from experience in city/freeway conditions. I drive quite agressively, compared to most people, I'd say; and making a pass, merging, changing lanes, etc. is a breeze. It's really alot of fun to drive. It's also great under inclement weather conditions(trust me, I see a ton of snow and other crap up here).

-All in all, I think you'd be extremely happy with your purchase. I've had mine since December, and it's been absolutely PERFECT. I still love getting in and firing her up every morning. It's truely a joy to drive. And I still find myself looking back at it in awe as I walk away from it in parking lots. I just love the looks of it, esp. with my bodykit. You'll have one of the hottest rides out there if you do decide to get one. If you have the money, I say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

-One word of advice, get to know the SEARCH feature. It's extremely helpful, as most of your concerns have probably been discussed at great length already.

Hope to see some pics of your new TL in the near future. Take care man. Oh, and don't pay attention to the haters in here, who think a TL is too nice for a guy your age. If you can afford it, just enjoy it. That's all that matters.

Old 03-28-2004, 07:24 AM
BOOK EM

Congrats to you going to college. Looks great in my list below. WDP & AERO is the way to go. BTW, where does the DR. come into play?
Old 03-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Dr. M - did you graduate (or are about to) from Roosevelt High? I went there for a year before my family moved to Florida. We lived in Crestwood when I was a kid.