Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Agree!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:12 AM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
Perhaps not street racing, but I am sure you are aware of the three high schoolers recently killed in separate accidents in the area as well as the mom on the sidewalk yesterday! most probable cause is inexperienced drivers so just be careful or take it to Qualcom for 1/8 mile drags
I know of quite a few recent stories, all terribly unfortunate. My condolences go out to the families of the victims.

Are you talking about the mom that was hit on the sidewalk in poway/sabre springs area next to Carmel Mountain Plaza? I live on mountain right behind that sidewalk. That's literally down the hill from me, it's crazy. There's a little cross/memorial set up there now.

Thanks for the insight man. I'll definitely have to hit Qualcom sometime in the future. Hope to see you around SD! I don't see too many Redondo Red's around so if I see one I'll give you a honk and wave from a stock SSM!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 AM
9 mpg.

Man. I took the TL to an empty strip of highway and really opened her up. Hit 123~ and felt so grounded, like I was doing 70-80mph. I honestly thought I was doing around 90mph at most then I looked at the speedometer and WHOA! I'm up there. This little SOB is deceiving. lol

Had a TSX trying to catch me the whole time, high beaming etc. and I didn't realize what he was doing till I got the infamous "ricer fly-by" and glare. lol, I literally started laughing while looking directly at him and he just took off haha.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:32 AM
9 mpg.

Holy crap I cannot wait to run against that bimmer. He talks so much sh*t about TL's and Acura's in general. When I launch, this is what I do:

- VSA OFF
- Sport Shift
- Gun It.

Anything to change or is that basically it? I'm really trying to smoke this one guy cause if I kill him, the rest of the flock will finally shut the hell up.

Haters..lol
Old 11-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Perhaps not street racing, but I am sure you are aware of the three high schoolers recently killed in separate accidents in the area as well as the mom on the sidewalk yesterday! most probable cause is inexperienced drivers so just be careful or take it to Qualcom for 1/8 mile drags
Good advise and thanks for the reality check.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
The first time I got to see what my 05 TL could really do was on a road trip from Chi to Cali. In Wyoming on a looong smooth straight away with no one around for miles I hit it. I did about 148mph all alone no racing. Once this M3 thought he'd leave me in the dust but much to his surprise i was on his tale...never passed him but literally was like 5' behind him the entire time, which was where i started. He hit it after he saw i was tailing him & i stayed right with him. Another had a Mustang Cobra punch it at a red light where two lane merged into one up ahead, he ended up behind me in shock. More to come....hahahahaha.
That DEFINITELY was NOT a Terminator (aka 03-04 Mustang Cobra)....unless of course it was in need of a driver mod.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:42 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Originally Posted by F23A4
That DEFINITELY was NOT a Terminator (aka 03-04 Mustang Cobra)....unless of course it was in need of a driver mod.
I know what I did & I heard him punch it....but YES the driver has allot to do with it.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:49 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Originally Posted by Type-DM 2004 TL
Holy crap I cannot wait to run against that bimmer. He talks so much sh*t about TL's and Acura's in general. When I launch, this is what I do:

- VSA OFF
- Sport Shift
- Gun It.

Anything to change or is that basically it? I'm really trying to smoke this one guy cause if I kill him, the rest of the flock will finally shut the hell up.

Haters..lol
make sure your engine is warm, dont beat on it freshly started. maybe as you drive to your destination, drive with the manual mode, let it rev up some. KNOW your car, dont know what tires you have or what kind of road you'll be in. with VSA off & a FWD car you dont want wheel spin as a RWD BMW takes off w/out wheelspin. Dont hit the rev limiter, shift just before it. Obviously 1st & 2nd are the quicker shifts, in 3rd you'll hit over 100mph so by then you should know who won. He might take you more at the line because its lighter & stick shift but 2nd & 3rd gear should eat him for lunch. Dont FLOOR it, press the medal about 90-95% in, sometimes a gradual "floor" keeps you from spinning tires & giving too much into the engine...again all things you should be familiar with & know on your car. Go do some practice runs on a quite road on your own if you really want the advantage. I've been driving TLs since 2004 so knowing the car makes a huge difference. Dont fuck up! ....WATCH the road & make sure you're somewhere secluded. Let him call go, then you call go the 2nd round to make it fair cause he'll feel stupid after he's spanked. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM
eat, sleep, NGC

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wow, you learn something everyday . Thanks man.

BTW, nice G.

EDIT:
Damn yung money, straight murder? haha that's tight man.
Thanks! BTW, like pohljm said take it to the strip. That way if you win they can't make any excuses since timeslips tell a good amount of what happened i.e (shifting, launch). Not to mention it's much safer
Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Great idea. I'm gonna do that next summer up at Union Grove Wisconsin, missed out this year.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
All easy kills - since the G is an auto I'd say you're actually more likely to win, but it's more dependent on driver skill. As for using sport shift, I wouldn't really bother for straight line races. Considering how slowly the computer responds to an upshift request you might end up hitting the rev limiter and losing time. Shifting 200-300 RPM later won't really make that much of a difference because you'll still end up outside VTEC in the next gear.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I get my fun on on-ramps. As far as racing my buddies, I know who I can beat, and who I won't. Most of these guys have hand-me-downs anyways, so it's even more useless. "My dad's car can beat your dad's car." Big whoop, let them race then. I've got nothing to prove to him.

And the auto vs. stick thing can only go so far. Auto vs Auto, TL (base and S) and G35 should hang close. It's more of a driver's race then, even with autos. Transmission will make all the difference though. 6speed TL will beat an auto G, and vice versa. There are tons of other factors involved, though. It's a coin flip.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

And BTW, quit bragging about doing 120+ on the highway. It's people like you that are the reason I'm paying $300 a month for insurance on what is in reality, a 7-year-old family sedan. If you wanna race, fine. Just don't show off, don't get busted, and don't wreck.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- VSA OFF
- Sport Shift
- Gun It.

Haters..lol
tell him to put 1g on the race then if hes so cocky lol
u wont even need to TRY..hes got no chance unless hes boosted.
i'd leave it in auto rather than sportshift though
Old 11-26-2009, 01:07 AM
Low and Slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
solara might be supercharged. if he beat the G that youre mentioning then u will have no problem beating the G as well. those solaras are a joke
Phee I believe they only built super chargers for the I4 from the factory? Maybe he has a custom s/c set up?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I know of quite a few recent stories, all terribly unfortunate. My condolences go out to the families of the victims.

Are you talking about the mom that was hit on the sidewalk in poway/sabre springs area next to Carmel Mountain Plaza? I live on mountain right behind that sidewalk. That's literally down the hill from me, it's crazy. There's a little cross/memorial set up there now.

Thanks for the insight man. I'll definitely have to hit Qualcom sometime in the future. Hope to see you around SD! I don't see too many Redondo Red's around so if I see one I'll give you a honk and wave from a stock SSM!
You should check the San Diego thread in the regions section and join us for a meet or mountain run sometime. usually meet up in kearny mesa for pho or some other excuse to get together.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:28 PM
10th Gear

stay safe, dont do it! go to a track..
Old 11-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
@ Izzy what year was the cobra and M3 bcuz I've got my BS flag on standby
Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by knavinusa
All easy kills - since the G is an auto I'd say you're actually more likely to win, but it's more dependent on driver skill. As for using sport shift, I wouldn't really bother for straight line races. Considering how slowly the computer responds to an upshift request you might end up hitting the rev limiter and losing time. Shifting 200-300 RPM later won't really make that much of a difference because you'll still end up outside VTEC in the next gear.
The OP has a 5AT TL, a high 14 to low 15 second car. An '05 G is a mid 14 to mid/upper 14 second car in automatic trim. The G is actually more likely to win.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:45 AM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by AMAN1
And BTW, quit bragging about doing 120+ on the highway.
Jeez. Didn't mean to come off bragging man, your insurance etc. is your issue. I pay high rates too and I got a car payment at 17. I'm not complaining. You get what you pay for. I hit a high speed, big whoop. Don't get your panties in a bunch. With all due respect, if the thread or the mere knowledge of what I do bugs you that much, don't come to this thread.

EDIT:
My bad, that came off really rude. lol I'm just used to being blunt. Main thing is, I'm 17. Young and ignorant. lol, at least I know it.

Last edited by D's Up; 11-28-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:47 AM
9 mpg.

You should check the San Diego thread in the regions section and join us for a meet or mountain run sometime. usually meet up in kearny mesa for pho or some other excuse to get together.
For Sure Man, Sounds like fun! I've heard so much about pho, and I've never even tried it.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:55 AM
9 mpg.

Kill: 98' BMW 328is 5MT
Stock: No,
- stage 3 reflash (according to him)
- Intake
- Exhaust

Okay,
That Bimmer Got Spanked Twice. haha

- meet up at a gas station, and decide to run on an empty strip of highway. All the while he's giggling like a school girl thinking he'll walk me.

- We get there and I honk it off from a roll of about 30mph, 1-2-3!

- He launches pretty good and I launch slow as expected (2nd gear) and then the TL shifts into 3rd gear and it's over. I pull 2-3 cars on him in what seemed like a few seconds.

- we exit to go back and get back on the freeway headed home and he wants to do it again. Same honk/speed. And boom, I get him again.

- We get back to the gas station and all he says is "you beat me..."

lol, I forgot to put money on it! Darn. lol

Last edited by D's Up; 11-28-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Drifting

For Sure Man, Sounds like fun! I've heard so much about pho, and I've never even tried it.
You're missing out then!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by erick3
i'm fully bolted on, and i barely kept ahead of an auto g35. i got the jump too...we stayed even for quite some time...and then quit!

i'm assuming the g u raced was stock or near stock.
i'd think a fully bolted tl would win by a larger margin than u described
unless the g u raced was an 07+ with the HR engine
those things are pretty quick
Old 11-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Jeez. Didn't mean to come off bragging man, your insurance etc. is your issue. I pay high rates too and I got a car payment at 17. I'm not complaining. You get what you pay for. I hit a high speed, big whoop. Don't get your panties in a bunch. With all due respect, if the thread or the mere knowledge of what I do bugs you that much, don't come to this thread.

EDIT:
My bad, that came off really rude. lol I'm just used to being blunt. Main thing is, I'm 17. Young and ignorant. lol, at least I know it.
I don't mean to come off rude as well, I know what you mean. Thing is, the reason I, as well as many other young drivers have high insurance rates is because of young drivers racing, etc. It's just annoying. Wasn't in the best mood when I posted that either.

You're not alone. I'm 17 too. How you could afford an 04 TL, I dont know, I can just afford my car and I'm happy with it. I don't need to race.

I just don't want you starting another thread from a hospital or prison computer.

I enjoy high speeds as well. I just don't see the point of street racing. What does it prove? Your car is faster. Big whoop. It's not like you did anything. You just pushed a pedal. Is it worth risking my license? Nope.

If you really want to see who's a better driver, take it to a racetrack. Keep it off the streets.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Kill: 98' BMW 328is 5MT
Stock: No,
- stage 3 reflash (according to him)
- Intake
- Exhaust

Okay,
That Bimmer Got Spanked Twice. haha

- meet up at a gas station, and decide to run on an empty strip of highway. All the while he's giggling like a school girl thinking he'll walk me.

- We get there and I honk it off from a roll of about 30mph, 1-2-3!

- He launches pretty good and I launch slow as expected (2nd gear) and then the TL shifts into 3rd gear and it's over. I pull 2-3 cars on him in what seemed like a few seconds.

- we exit to go back and get back on the freeway headed home and he wants to do it again. Same honk/speed. And boom, I get him again.

- We get back to the gas station and all he says is "you beat me..."

lol, I forgot to put money on it! Darn. lol

Hm, I'd expect you to get the jump from a roll. From 30, I'd use SS to stay in first, then shift to second.

But what do you have now that you didn't have before?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:50 PM
9 mpg.

Alright, Good to know we're cool man and good looking out.

Lol, I used to work 30hrs a week at a grocery store. That's how I can (barely) afford this car. I would get out of school at 12:45pm (last period off) and start work right afterward, then hit the gym, and finally homework. I had like no social life. haha

Well now, I got $50, as of this morning haha. Cause I reminded him of him talking shit a couple weeks back about how he'd put $50 down that he'd win. Didn't get paid that night, but got paid today! hahaha.

As far as him getting the jump on me, my SS automatically shifted into 2nd gear and I didn't notice till we took off.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:01 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Originally Posted by DC3328
@ Izzy what year was the cobra and M3 bcuz I've got my BS flag on standby
The M3 was not the newest one out now but a couple years before. My wife was with me to vouch for this. I was kinda tailing him on the highway, I heard him punch it, I was already in 3rd gear & I punched it after him...stayed on his tail but never could pass him but he also never got any further away. The Cobra was probably like an '02...not a Shelby. It was black, convertible, said Cobra right on back bumper...we were both at a red light, we punched it, he got about 1/2 a car ahead & I pulled in front before the lane merge. I have no reason to lie or BS, I know the Type-S is not a "rocket" per say...so either driver error on their behalf or some other factor.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:05 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Type-DM...one down, 3 more to go right? Good job! be safe.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

NickyPass may need to chime in on this one.

The M3 was not the newest one out now but a couple years before. My wife was with me to vouch for this. I was kinda tailing him on the highway, I heard him punch it, I was already in 3rd gear & I punched it after him...stayed on his tail but never could pass him but he also never got any further away. The Cobra was probably like an '02...not a Shelby. It was black, convertible, said Cobra right on back bumper...we were both at a red light, we punched it, he got about 1/2 a car ahead & I pulled in front before the lane merge. I have no reason to lie or BS, I know the Type-S is not a "rocket" per say...so either driver error on their behalf or some other factor.
With regard to the Cobra, there was no 02 model. However there was a 99 and 01 model which made something like 325hp and of course later the 2003-04 model which is affectionately (and accurately) referred to as The Terminator. With the Cobra stamp on the bumper, it was either an 01 OR the Terminator.

The Type S would make for a good run vs the 01 provided the TL is a 6MT AND the 01 Snake is stock. So a good TL-S driver could come out on top.

The 03/04 would simply obliterate the TL-S provided the Terminator driver is at least average. (Average probably equates to being able to run low 13s @ 108 mph as opposed the mid 12s @ 111 mph expected with more proficient drivers.)

All in all, it's just about knowing the cars in question and knowing when one or the other was in need of a driver mod. However, a kill is a kill!!
Old 11-30-2009, 05:05 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by ryebreadisme
Phee I believe they only built super chargers for the I4 from the factory? Maybe he has a custom s/c set up?
didnt even know. doubt that some high school kid has a custom SC setup
Old 11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by YUNG.MONEY
i'm assuming the g u raced was stock or near stock.
i'd think a fully bolted tl would win by a larger margin than u described
unless the g u raced was an 07+ with the HR engine
those things are pretty quick
Stock 5AT 1st gen G35s (sedan or coupe) typically see 14.6s@96mph with a few of us going 14.2-14.4@97-98mph. With an ECU flash, plenum spacer, and exhaust work, the 5AT 1st gen G will typically run 13.8-14.2s@100-102mph.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
9 mpg.

Type-DM...one down, 3 more to go right? Good job! be safe.
Yeee!

*Bimmer (I/E, Stage 3 Reflash): Down

*Lancer GTS (Stock..?): He wants to do it at the end of this week.

Last edited by D's Up; 11-30-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:06 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by Dave_B
Stock 5AT 1st gen G35s (sedan or coupe) typically see 14.6s@96mph with a few of us going 14.2-14.4@97-98mph. With an ECU flash, plenum spacer, and exhaust work, the 5AT 1st gen G will typically run 13.8-14.2s@100-102mph.
Ugh, this makes me wish I got a G35c again. lol, I thought I was over it.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

nice man! and GL with the other races- I spaaaaanked a G tonight- freakin kid kept askin for it ( rockin it back and forth next to me at about 30mph ) 1 to many times, so....I dropped it in 2nd, waited for him to do his thing....then, I was gone- didnt shift to third till 60- and held it till he was a good 6 cars back...sounded so damn good, then LET him see the brake lights
Old 11-30-2009, 11:56 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by jeowen
nice man! and GL with the other races- I spaaaaanked a G tonight- freakin kid kept askin for it ( rockin it back and forth next to me at about 30mph ) 1 to many times, so....I dropped it in 2nd, waited for him to do his thing....then, I was gone- didnt shift to third till 60- and held it till he was a good 6 cars back...sounded so damn good, then LET him see the brake lights
Damn, you pulled on him that hard?! Wow, and it's things like this that make me happy I got a TL. If only it was a 6-speed type-s .

Jeowen, Good Kill! Are you A/T or M/T? Did he just let off your tail and go on his own way after the race or what? lol

You think I could pull one in a base TL?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 AM
eat, sleep, NGC

Damn, you pulled on him that hard?! Wow, and it's things like this that make me happy I got a TL. If only it was a 6-speed type-s .

Jeowen, Good Kill! Are you A/T or M/T? Did he just let off your tail and go on his own way after the race or what? lol

Between a 6MT G vs a 6MT TL/TL-S, it would be a drivers race from a roll (advantage to the G off the line if properly launched). If any of the cars pulled more than 1-2 car lengths it was due to the driver or reaction. The "G vs the TL in 5AT/6MT" has been beaten to death, try searching by the most viewed in the Racing & Competition forum starting from the beginning.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Don't 6MT Gs have something like 296 horsepower?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:30 PM
eat, sleep, NGC

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Don't 6MT Gs have something like 296 horsepower?
It varies between the years and the models (coupe/sedan) but are all generally the same with the only noticeable difference being AT/MT.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

I did, I am A/T - I will give the kid benefit of the doubt though, I understand how quick G's are- perhaps I got a better jump on him, or whatever the case may have been. I am confident when in SS from a roll-10, 20, 30, 40 even 50 mph(alot of trials, BY MY SELF to determine where exactly to be,not that hard really.. to get the BEST result), so I made sure to be at 100% in gearing. I was pulling...but not that hard, he had to let up once he noticed the steady pull. It will be close, good luck man.

Last edited by jeowen; 12-01-2009 at 03:18 PM.