3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone paid full price to replace a bad transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:20 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone paid full price to replace a bad transmission?

I'm considering trading my 03 S2000 for an 04 TL. I've read many threads on transmission failures, and for the most part, it seems that Acura has paid most or all of the cost of the replacements.

Has anyone ever paid most or all of the cost of replacing their auto transmission? I certainly can't pay $4000 to fix anything, but it seems like few, if any used TL owners (or high mileage owners) have.

If you did have to pay for most of it, what did Acura say about not giving you good will?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the special 7year9 month/109k miles extended warranty on trans is for 99-03, and only midway thru the year for 03s!
that was based on the court case needed a VIN to put on paper- so one was chosen.
problem NOT fixed- just a number on paper

The 04 has a very similar transmission- minor differances internally but still have the same oil flow problem.

If you want security- buy it CPO at an acura dealer- that will come with a 100k miles warranty, or buy a good aftermarket warranty, or buy the car private and buy the extended warranty from acura dealership

inside word is: gen3 must show proof of trans oil service at least once in its lifetime in order to get ~goodwill coverage~ past limits
the problem is that changing the fluids at high miles... often leads to self destruct of the trans!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Cruisin'

I recently had my 04 transmission replaced via Acura. I got a Acura "Goodwill" replacement but it was not given that Acura would pay most of the cost. If I could buy my car over again I would have bought at an Acura dealer and paid the little extra for a CPO. That being said if you can save some money buy used then get a good warranty. My transmission did not make it to 50k miles which is not a good sign. I have had many cars and none have ever needed a new transmission.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 PM
I love Beer

I am selling my 2004 Acura TL with Navi if you are interested. It has 65k miles and no tranny problems. I am looking to get a different car. pm me if you are interested
Old 11-15-2008, 07:52 AM
10th Gear

I'm looking at a couple of 04s, and I'm getting pretty spooked by the transmission failures. I have test drove 4, and I feel as if I hear or feel something wrong with everyone of them. Does this affect a large percentage, or is this just in my head?

Also, lets say I buy a used 04 and it does fail, I'm not going to be able to prove if the fluid has been changed regularly. Would the deny it?

Last edited by jmr4152; 11-15-2008 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Forgot to add addition question.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
I learned the hard way.. I bought an '04 TL 86k. Bad tranny and badly worn brakes.. among other little problems. I did end up paying full price because no history, but I did get money back from the used car lot dealer for 1/2 the tranny.

Here are my tips:
1. Don't buy auctioned cars.
-If Acura doesn't want to sell it on their lot, do you really want to buy it?

2. Beware of the used car lot dealer.
-"You're getting a great deal!"
-"I had 3 guys call me and offer more than you but I like you!"
- If the car looks super clean, engine wash, etc.. that may be tell tale.. like lipstick on a pig.
- Check the lines on the car.. are they even? If not, could be a sign of fix / replacement / previous accident.
- Put a little magnet on the fenders, doors and rear 1/4 panels.. does it stick? If not, could be signs of cheap bondo fix.

3. Check the fluids
- Motor oil and transmission fluid should look an ember color / semi-translucent.
- Smell the transmission fluid, if it smells burned.. don't buy.
- If you like, taste the tranny fluid (just a dab), it should taste sweet.

4. Ask for full vehicle history
- Autocheck and Carfax the vehicle
- Get the full mechanical history, a owner who took meticulous care of his / her vehicle should have all the records. If a dealer or private party says they don't have any records.. better to be safe than sorry.

5. Get an independent vehicle inspection
- Seller should have no problem paying for this
- If need be.. and it shouldn't.. pay for it yourself.. if something minor shows up, use it to bargain. If something major, forget it and cut your losses.

6. Test Drive
- Before driving off, put it in neutral, then in drive.. does it lag before kicking in gear? If so, could be vacuum problem.
- When you press on the pedal.. is there a lag in the trasmission before power is delivered? If so, stay away..
- Use the SportShift and make sure all of the gears shift smoothly.

7. If you "just have to get it" - get a warranty - but not just any!
- There are a lot of scams out there or non-reputable extended contract companies.
- Fidelity sells good contracts!!
- Ask your local Acura Dealership who they use.
- Ask your bank / FCU who they use.
- Don't buy from the used car lot dealer.
- Stay away from C.A.R.S. (ie. Protection Plus, Inc.)
- Make sure it cover full powertrain, a/c, (expensive parts).. usually the basic plans cover what you need.. and they ploy the extra year and miles for only a little more. Better to pay 1-1.8k up front then 4-5k down the road.

I thought I was getting a good deal.. ended up paying an extra $3k after the fact.. I checked the fluids.. didn't smell or look that great.. tranny fluid was a little burned..
there was a bit of lag in the throttle response..
Dealer said he had his mechanic give it a full inspection so I didn't order an inspection..
It looked so good.. AutoCheck and CarFax were clean.. but it was an auction from an Acura Dealer Trade-in (big flag).. and the price was too good to turn down (big regret).

The price was too good to be true and I depended on my extended warranty to protect me. The company said they didn't receive the paperwork and invalidated my claim.. then said "we'll take care of you after you fix everything"

After getting money back on the warranty.. and money from the dealer for the tranny.. (1+ month of negotiating / arguing b/w dealer, Acura, Warranty Company) the headache is fading and I am finally getting to enjoy the car.. but hopefully nothing else will pop-up.

Last edited by Majofo; 11-15-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
^...great tips for those of us on the hunt!!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
4. Ask for full vehicle history
- Autocheck and Carfax the vehicle
- Get the full mechanical history, a owner who took meticulous care of his / her vehicle should have all the records. If a dealer or private party says they don't have any records.. better to be safe than sorry.
I would be screwed on this....I have always serviced my own car and have no records other than the logs in the owner's manual. Why would I be keeping my reciepts from Wally World for my Oil?

I go more off of the overall condition of the car. Open the hood and pull the panels. Look at the places a quick detail job would miss.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Holy thread revival! I do my own maintenance as well but I keep a journal of auto maintenance (oil / filter / coolant / PSF / BF / ATF purchases) and receipts too since much of the stuff I'm putting on the car are LLT (driveshafts, brake pads, soon to be PS rack).. I have a sample of my ATF and motor oil I've yet to send to Blackstone, that'll be documented too.. My gf actually keeps a better auto journal than me. I take photos of the work I do but she actually posts them in the journal.. I'm too lazy.. lol..
Old 09-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i'm on my second transmission, and acura was nice enough to goodwill the whole nine yards! just make sure you befriend the dealer you buy your car from.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Intermediate

I ended paying full price 2 years ago for $3300; i guess the previous owner never really took care of the problem...
Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Cruisin'

I just paid 80% of the cost of a rebuilt tranny...Acura paid 20%, my bill came out to roughly $2600 at a dealer. Had 95,000 miles on my 04 TL.