Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling/fun-to-drive of TL 6MT + A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handling/fun-to-drive of TL 6MT + A-Spec

Hey, guys. I currently own an '01 GS430 L-Tuned and am in the market for something new, particularly something more engaging to drive. My GS430's performance and handling is very good with the L-Tuned mods, but I really want a manual tranny without having to give up the goodies to which I've become accustomed. Given the quality of cars in the sub-$40K price range, I see no reason to buy another $50K+ car.

I have an '05 G35 Coupe 6MT on order now for delivery in early February. I love the G35C, but even though the new interior is MUCH better, it's still not up to par with the TL, and the TL's gadget factor is unparalleled in its price range. Also, in a perfect world I'd stay in a sedan for the convenience, though I've already decided that my wife and I can live with a coupe (we have a 4Runner for the true people moving, though it's not ideal). I don't like the G35 sedan well enough to go that route.

Having driven an '04 TL 6MT, the driving experience of that car leaves much to be desired. My statement to my wife after my test drive was, "All of the work of a manual with none of the fun." I apologize if I offend anyone with that statement, but after driving many RWD manual tranny cars (my wife has a Z3 2.8 Roadster, I've driven virtually every incarnation of the 350Z/G35 lines, an '03 M5, S2K, Boxster S, etc.), the TL's driving dynamics disappointed me. Raising the revs and dropping the clutch on launch (something I LOVE to do!) resulted in horrible torque steer, and the steering never felt connected to the road at all. While the shifter felt smooth, it never felt...fun...like the one in the G35C.

So my question is this: For owners of a 6MT A-Spec, does the A-Spec package make a significant difference in the TL's handling and "fun-to-drive" aspects, particularly with regard to the criticisms I've lodged? I know that FWD will never feel like RWD, but as long as the torque steer is marginalized and the steering feel is enhanced substantially, that's a major start. If the firmer suspension and such also enhance the shift feel, that's even better.

I'm going to check with my local Acura dealers to see if any of them have a 6MT A-Spec that I can drive, but my doubts are high since it's such a niche market of TL buyers. That's why I've turned to this community of experts for opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Scott
Old 12-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a review of the A-Spec Suspension ..... Hope it answers some of your questions:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...pec+Suspension
Old 12-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SCWells: Don't try to compare the TL to a rear drive (330i, G35). They handle and drive totally different. If you are basing your purchase entirely on the handling, the 330i, G35 and even the CTS will come out ahead (due to rwd). BUT if you look at the entire package (exterior, interior, and driving charateristics) along with the price factor, the TL pulls way out ahead.

In your case, I believe the G35 would be your best option. BMW 330i (w/o the performance package) has EXTREMELY long throws on the shifter and the clutch doesn't engage immediately...not to mention, the $40k price tag. The CTS with the 3.6 is amazing (especially on regular unleaded), but that interior....UUGH! It looks like they borrowed parts from the Seville (HUGE door handles, cheap plastic, minimal sound deadening, sketchy reliability).
Old 12-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fwd vs rwd has a totally different driving dynamics. its not going to be the same and i would say go with the G35 coupe if you are looking for that sports car type feel. i have a 6MT and i like the handle and feel but to be honest would prefer a rwd car. but living in the NE its not going to handle too well in snow. the TL's gadgets and overall appeal make up for the fwd limitations. its a daily commuter car for me so 90% of the time i can't push it to its limits.