3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my TL for a week - here's what I'd change

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 07:15 PM
professional TL driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has any one else noticed (or maybe its just me) that the metal strip that sweeps down the dash gets dented by the seat belt buckle? all around the seat belt clasp, my car has little digs where i accidently hit the strip while trying to buckle up...

also i would like to be able to put up/down the passanger windows while they are locked, locking them out from the driver seems kinda dumb

bigger glove box is right!!!! i keep a records book and the owners book in there and its a tight fit

rear wheel drive, or all wheel drive like on the rl... i cant wait to see what they do with the next gen tl
Old 09-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JT3
There's one other problem with this that some people may not have realized. Those of you who garage your cars, and leave your keys in them when you do, should know that if you leave your headlights on all the time, they will NOT EVER GO OUT unless you take the keys out of the ignition.
Are you serious? I would never, ever do this. Since my car keys are on the same keychain as my house key, I wouldn't be going far. But even more importantly, it just seems like a bad idea. If someone does gain entrance to your garage (which is about as easy as they come), there's nothing stopping them from taking the car. Plus, it doesn't save you much other than a few seconds to pull the keys out of the ignition or to put them in. I'll admit, the new keyless ignitions that are coming out are pretty cool, but if you have a key, use it as intended.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ibeplato
- Move the gauges with the steering wheel - I find that in almost any seating position the engine temperature gauge, and the top of the speedometer are blocked by the steering wheel
Although I find that I can't see the complete gauges myself on the TL (and this drives me nuts), I don't like the idea of gauges that move with the steering wheel. This is actually the only car I've ever had a problem with this in (and none of my previous cars had movable gauges). I think the solution would be to make the steering wheel more acceptable to seeing the gauges (slightly larger, maybe less "horn"/airbag mass), and more importantly, re-arrange the gauges.

I personally like 2 large gauges (speedo and tach) with 2 smaller gauges (oil, battery, gas, etc) next to those. This setup puts the more important information that you're looking at constantly right in front of you, and the less important stuff that you only look at once in a while to the sides.

Movable gauges seem to limit the travel of the steering wheel, and when I test drove the G35, I couldn't quite get things exactly as I wanted them either.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Advanced

How about a Heads Up Display like on GM cars?
My previous 2000 bonneville SSEi had this, and it was very very usefull. It saved me more speeding tickets then radar detector.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:26 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by missmyprelude
Are you serious? I would never, ever do this. Since my car keys are on the same keychain as my house key, I wouldn't be going far. But even more importantly, it just seems like a bad idea. If someone does gain entrance to your garage (which is about as easy as they come), there's nothing stopping them from taking the car. Plus, it doesn't save you much other than a few seconds to pull the keys out of the ignition or to put them in. I'll admit, the new keyless ignitions that are coming out are pretty cool, but if you have a key, use it as intended.
I wasn't trying to suggest that one should leave their keys in the ignition when the car was garaged, I was simply explaining what would happen if you do, and also want to simply leave your lights on all the time.

I know a LOT of people with garage door openers that simply leave the interior door to the house unlocked (we're talking attached garages here), so having the house keys on the same keychain isn't really an issue for them. As for getting into the garage... that varies. I know that my garage has no windows, and the garage door itself is metal, so one would have to come through the rather solid, but still wood, side door. Honestly, it'd be easier to break into my house, which has windows, than into my garage, so that wouldn't really be a factor either.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you that leaving the keys in the car, even garaged, is not a good idea. I'm just saying that I know people do it (I know several people who do), and that they should be aware that if they walk away from their TL with the keys in the ignition expecting their lights to go off after so many seconds, they'll come out to a dead battery in the morning.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Cruisin'

I love the car too, and bought it as is. But in a perfect world, I'd like:

1. Illuminated buttons for L/R Mirror Position Switch and Mirro Heat Switch so that I can find them much easier at night.

2. Radio pre-sets should be linked to keyless memory system so that Driver 1 gets their own presets and Driver 2 gets their own.

3. I agree with everyone else that DVD-A discs should display CD Title/Track Info.

4. More controls on power passenger seat.

5. Navi would be great if you could voice-command addresses for route calculation (e.g. "Go to 123 Main Street, boston)

6. Auto-up rear windows as well.

7. Self-dimming side mirrors.

8. Side marker lights should flash with signals.

9. All exterior lights, aside from HID, should be LEDs.

10. Offer better OEM tires than those crappy EL 42s.

11. Trunk should not be allowed to open and close from remote transmitter unless the driver door is unlocked; because you can open the trunk, accidentally lay your key inside it while moving luggage around, and close the key inside your trunk without having an unlocked car door to re-release the trunk.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Integrated key and key fob, like the Honda Accords.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Horny confirmation

A selectable horn beep confirmation for door locking.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:18 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBluu
what's wrong w/ drl's. i wouldn't mind them for the same reasons sherlock mentioned of making yourself more visible. there's too many crazy drivers in sf. and others probably think i'm one of them so i want to make sure they see me coming.
DRL's are not as effective as when they first came out. There are so many of them now that people don't see them, either. And if you're trying to be the least bit "stealthy" (as in, you don't want to draw excessive cop-type attention to yourself while you're blasting down the freeways), DRL's are not the thing to have. If you want to have some kind of light on, turn on your parking lights or headlights, but don't make the rest of us do it. In fact, on both my cars, I have the ability to program that into the "brain", and I've opted for both to stay dark.

Mike
Old 09-20-2004, 11:53 PM
Advanced

I just joined this forum and that is probably one of the best replies I have seen! I'm kind of like you... I'm not getting my car till next march or april and I'm all ready checking out everything nonstop. I hope you buy went well I'll keep an eye out while I am reading up on past posts in here..
tom
Old 09-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by narikin
Huh?
He's talking about having one side of the rear seat fold down(40%) or folding down the middle seat along with other side of rear seat (60%) vice only being able to fold down the entire rear seat (100%)..
This is an option in the Volvo S40 2004 and up
Old 09-21-2004, 12:55 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
u know what i would change?

really u want to know?

sure? ok...

i would redesign the whole car again lol and add sh-awd too it with 400+hp and 400+tq and and and and and and and..... mini fridge.... lol
Old 09-21-2004, 06:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by TLGator
Absolutely!!! Unless you are very short or like to ride very low in the car, the gauges are partly blocked no matter how you tilt/telescope the wheel.

Are you and I the only ones who feel this way? I submitted a similar post a few weeks ago and it was roundly ignored. If there was only one feature I could steal from the G35 and put in my TL, the moving gauges would be it!
If it bothers you that much, perhaps you should not have bought a TL - it's not the car for you [lol].
Old 09-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jjsC5 - It doesn't bother me that much.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Treblig
Integrated key and key fob, like the Honda Accords.
Having had my 05 for two days now, I would also add:

1. Reduced turning diameter (3 feet would make a hugh difference!)
2. Replace the trunk hinges with struts. Those hinges make the decklid feel flimsy.
3. Flashing front fender side marker lights.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And I would add double sun visors to the list.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

I would change nothing...I bought the car and I am happy with it...even with the EL42s

Damn!!! This car is better than the old 90 Legend I used to have...
Old 10-03-2004, 09:24 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
My List

- Turn signals --> on the mirrors or the fender side markers
- Trip computer and MPG info on the NAV screen
- Instantaneous MPG as you drive rather than avg for the tank, this would help adjust driving habits for maximum mileage
- Stereo system --> display CD/DVD-A title/track info, scan within a track like a regular CD player, ability to automatically detect and play MP3's, display radio station info like most GM & Chrysler products
- The '05 RL's NAV's ability to view and route around traffic jams
- The sunglass holder back to where it was before the '04, on the overhead console WHERE IT BELONGS!!!!!!!!!
- Rear seat fold down, not something I use often, but when I need it, I need it!
- Bigger and more storage compartments
- Seat heater buttons should be harder to press or become enabled only when you put the heat on
- Built in On-Star as an option for those who want it
- The ability to turn on fog lights without the headlights
- Headlights that turn with the steering wheel like the '05 RL
- Option to tilt both side mirrors down when in reverse as I park on both sides of a one way street so I don't have to pause and flip the switch almost every time I park
- Tighter turning radius
Old 10-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Real leather rear headrests and armrest.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stewie
If they put daytime running lights on this thing there's no way I would buy it.
What do you have against DRL ?
Old 10-07-2004, 01:58 AM
8th Gear

I got mine four months ago, I'm loving it.

I agree with you Intox1221, they could've done this. I'm sure there is a reason they didn't. Here is what I think would be really cool to have and what TL is missing:
1) Cannot play MP3
2) Cannot view or know the CD's titles in the loader
3) Cannot upload/download phone book from my Bluethooth phone.
4) Cannot download trip computer information in to my Pocket PC via Bluetooth
5) Cannot upload addresses from my Pocket PC in to the Navi Personal address book
6) Cannot exchange (upload/download) calendar information between my pocket PC and the Navi
7) Cannot download additional vehical information (odo meter reading, miles to empty...) on to my Pocket PC for further analysis.
8) Cannot turn on fog light without headlight, why is that? I could do this on Volvo, sometimes this is very useful.
9) Cannot lift/adjust the passenger seat (no lumber support). Passenger needs confort too.
10) Cannot adjust panel light separately from the rest. Should have two different adjustments
11) Don't understand the reason for the buzzer when removing the keys with head lights on. It has auto shutoff, so why buzz?

Oh well, it will be cool if I can have it all but some of these are already added on to the 2005 RL. In any case, TL is a cool car, I love it. I enjoy the drive and all the features and I do use them all.

-B.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:32 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004TL_believer
Love everything but here are my two cents

- Sunglasses Holder
- Bluetooth Contact sync with the navigation - Love to get my outlook contacts in there. Wouldn't be too hard.
- DVDA - Info - yes lets list the artist
- XM - show icons or logos for the stations.
- Did someone say the entire back seat folds down? Elaborate Please?
- Yes when using the Shiftronic you can't see what gear your in
- Bit larger glove box. Can't even fit the manual book in there
- More solid craftmanship in the areas around the speakers. Tend to make the plastics buzz a bit
- Ditto on the Battery/Oil pressure
- Auto Sunroof open all the way
- A bit more torque - Like 30 pounds

Abyss Blue Pearl/Camel/Navigation

You can open/close the sunroof with one touch. Just pull/push the switch until it clicks. If you don't hear the click the roof will stop wherever it is when you let go of the switch.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:01 AM
Zorro

Over all, this is an awesome car, Great lines, ride and handling, and she really screws.
Very impressive for a 6-cylinder!!!

Seeing everyone is inputting their wish list.
Compass(Non-Nav) and Outside Temp on the Rear view Mirror - My Chevy Truck has that!
Auto on Headlights would be nice
Turn signals --> on fender side markers
Great sound system – won’t play MP3’s
Sun Visor extensions

A small complaint I have is the remote entry, you spend $30+G's and the remote comes with a cheesy metal ring that connects the key to the remote! That cheesy little ring scratched the crap out of my remote. Ticks me off, damage was done before I realized it had happen! Picky – Picky I know!

Another note, I notice in all the photos, No one seems use the Full Nose Bra Cover? How come! Hell, not only use that, I bought covers for my mirrors also. I hate bugs and stone chips in them, plus I think they look good!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:10 AM
1st Gear

I'd like a big honkin' V8 - maybe a Hemi. Yeah, that's what I'd like...
Old 10-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Whiteowl
Another note, I notice in all the photos, No one seems use the Full Nose Bra Cover? How come! Hell, not only use that, I bought covers for my mirrors also. I hate bugs and stone chips in them, plus I think they look good!
If you're not careful, those Bras can and will leave scratches on your paint. Been there, done that
Old 10-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ibeplato
So I've had my TL for a week and I LOVE it. I really don't have any complaints about this car other than minor nit-picking, but what would an internet forum be without nit-picking?

Originally Posted by Xpditor
This car is costing me more than my house did. I'm paying for a virgin and a virgin I will have!

Very Funny....but so true!! I didn't let them wash my car either.....I get enough swirls myself without starting with theirs.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:57 AM
Zorro

Treblig, I hear what your saying, possible scratches vs stone chips/planted bug splatter.
What's the worst of the two evils!!! The second two will definty happen!!
Thanks
Old 10-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Clear Bra? Oo La La!

Originally Posted by Whiteowl
I have a clear bra installed (X-Pel) which is not visible in the pictures. It prevents bug damage and stone chips and doesn't change the look of the car or damage the paint. Since it is applied and not worn, there is no friction against the paint surface.

I had a vinyl bra on my RX-7 and it marred the paint on my hood and fenders.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:44 PM
10th Gear

I'm surprised nobody mentioned RDS (Radio Data System). It's a lot like what we get on the XM... except it's free. My son has it on his Olds Alero (!) and it has a bunch of useful features like automatically tuning you into traffic broadcasts (if you want).
Old 10-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Instructor

This thread should be called "RL Envy" - for only 49K you too can get an RL!