Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my TL for a week - here's what I'd change

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Had my TL for a week - here's what I'd change

So I've had my TL for a week and I LOVE it. I really don't have any complaints about this car other than minor nit-picking, but what would an internet forum be without nit-picking?

So, here goes:
- Enable the CD/DVD system to display disk/song information on the Nav screen rather than just "disk/track". I'd like to be able to choose by disk name & song title without having to remember what disk is in what slot. (Heck, it would even be nice if it would display the album cover on the Nav screen while the disk is playing). This could be accomplished via a data link over a Bluetooh enabled cell phone I suppose.

- Bigger center console compartment. I can only fit about 10 CDs in the main center compartment

- A place for pennies in the coin holder. I tried putting them in the upper console tray underneath the arm rest, and they all ended up in the back seat when I opened the lower compartment.

- Move the gauges with the steering wheel - I find that in almost any seating position the engine temperature gauge, and the top of the speedometer are blocked by the steering wheel

- add daytime running lights

- display gear information when in "D" rather than only when moved into trip-tronic mode. It would be nice to always be able to see what gear i'm in.

That's really all I can think of. My hat is off to the engineers who built this car. It fits like a glove and drives like a slot car. I am really happy with it so far (no rattles, no vibrations, the head liner is still on, and no paint issues).
Old 04-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Racer

If they put daytime running lights on this thing there's no way I would buy it.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:32 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
canada version got daytime running lights and we (usa) version got foglights!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine has DRL's.. I leave my headlights on 24/7, and on the way to work I leave the highbeams on. People in Atlanta go out of their way to cut you off, pull in front of you, make you swerve. I find that my high's "help them" see that I'm coming and to not cut in front of me at 1/2 the speed that I'm going. With the highs being in the same projector as the lows, and the fact that most people already hate HID's, they think that they are just those "damn bright hids" and don't think they are highbeams.

Annoy ?? yes. More annoying, getting pulled in front of at intersections by people turning from side roads, or getting cut off on the hwy by people trying to get to the HOV lane at 45mph, or people trying to get to their exit at the last damn minute from the left lane. I just help increase my visability.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ibeplato
- A place for pennies in the coin holder. I tried putting them in the upper console tray underneath the arm rest, and they all ended up in the back seat when I opened the lower compartment.
Here is the recommended storage procedure for pennies in the TL: look to your left, where the driver side door handle is located; find the driver's window button; push it; a large space will open to your left - if you do this while the car is moving, do not be alarmed by the wind and noise that rush at you; toss the pennies into this large space; close the window. That's all there is to it!

Seriously, I guess the designers thought people would only want to store coins that can be used in tolls and parking meters. So they didn't worry about a place for pennies. But of course a lot of people just want to dump change somewhere in the car, and the TL doesn't really have a good spot for that.

One comment that you may actually find useful......the little areas at the front of each door pocket are very cleverly designed...you can put a few coins there and they will stick like glue even if you fling the door open or slam it shut...but of course you can only put a few coins in each one, enough to cover the rubbery surface.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car!
Old 04-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro

A nice addition would be auto headlights! My Maxima has that and I don't even have to physically turn them on/off.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

- Move the gauges with the steering wheel - I find that in almost any seating position the engine temperature gauge, and the top of the speedometer are blocked by the steering wheel
Absolutely!!! Unless you are very short or like to ride very low in the car, the gauges are partly blocked no matter how you tilt/telescope the wheel.

Are you and I the only ones who feel this way? I submitted a similar post a few weeks ago and it was roundly ignored. If there was only one feature I could steal from the G35 and put in my TL, the moving gauges would be it!
Old 04-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLGator
Here is the recommended storage procedure for pennies in the TL: look to your left, where the driver side door handle is located; find the driver's window button; push it; a large space will open to your left - if you do this while the car is moving, do not be alarmed by the wind and noise that rush at you; toss the pennies into this large space; close the window. That's all there is to it!
!
Of course you would need someone to install clear-bra material on your left rear door and quarter panel. :-)
Old 04-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

:lol1:
Old 04-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LegendCpeGS
A nice addition would be auto headlights! My Maxima has that and I don't even have to physically turn them on/off.
Simple, leave them all the time! :toothless
Old 04-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Instructor

How about moving MID to the center cluster, and moving its controls from the dash to the steering wheel? It looks as though the new RL has done this already, at least on the prototype...
Old 04-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stewie
If they put daytime running lights on this thing there's no way I would buy it.

what's wrong w/ drl's. i wouldn't mind them for the same reasons sherlock mentioned of making yourself more visible. there's too many crazy drivers in sf. and others probably think i'm one of them so i want to make sure they see me coming.

i second the instrument pod adjusting deal. i never see the top of the speedo. i just look at the needle and estimate. if it's pointing perfectly north, it's around 80...i think...
Old 04-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Instructor

US also got satellite radio......................we Canucks didn't :-(
Old 04-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Instructor

I just laughed out loud at an internet forum--that's a first!
Keep the jokes coming!!! :devil:
Old 04-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Dude! You made my day!

So I've had my TL for a week and I LOVE it. I really don't have any complaints about this car other than minor nit-picking, but what would an internet forum be without nit-picking?
Plato:

I'm getting my new TL next week and I spend entirely too much time on this Bitch Central forum. It gets me down sometimes. I have already spent an hour with the head service writer- going over issues with him: the tires, the roof, the rattles. He said, "Dude! Calm down. You don't even have the car yet."

Everything I mentioned, he knew about but, in some cases like paint chips/peeling, he had only heard indirectly from another writer who had ONE complaint. He also said that the other issues had been reported by "a couple" of owners out of the 500 or so TLs they have sold and service. He did admit the tires had been the biggest problem and that they had changed the compound but were still working on it. He said Acura was caught flat-footed with the tire issue as they had passed on several other, cheaper tires like Michelin and Continental and spent the extra dollars for a high performance, speed rated tire. They retail for about $250 each. They're not making excuses, he said. They just misjudged what the TL driver wanted. The Bridgestones are more to the performance end of the spectrum and less luxury ride oriented. He noted that the HPT (the summer tires) are quite a bit cheaper than the stock Turenzas and if Acura just wanted to save money, they would make the Potenzas the standard tires and have the Turenzas optional. The $200 that Acura charges for the Potenza HPT is just for the bother to put different tires on. (And probably to boost profit).

I am sure everyone at my dealership is dreading the day my car comes in. They have been put on standby and told not to touch it or take the plastic off until I get there to inspect it. Then, I will supervise the removal of the plastic, the cleaning of the interior, and I will take them two new sheeps wool wash mits. I will check their car wash and make sure NO BRUSHES are used on the new paint and that they DO NOT use a power buffer. In fact, I don't want them to polish it. I will do that when I get it home.

This car is costing me more than my house did. I'm paying for a virgin and a virgin I will have!

They deserve a Purple Heart when they get me over the curb and watch my LEDs go over the hill. I should throw a party for them. Maybe I will.

Oh, yeah! I agree about the steering wheel blocking guages. Haven't they seen a new Maxima or 350Z? Also, the MID is a little plain and low res monochrome. Color would have been nice with higher resolution.

X P
Old 04-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Advanced

A few add'l changes:
Temp readout in center display where passenger can view it & it's always visible, e.g. when viewing trip computer.

Not having to hit "OK" to cancel legal disclaimer re danger of staring @ nav system while underway in order to view audio controls on nav screen.

Ditto CD / track info on nav screen and more storage space--auto shifter blocks two cubby-holes in console.

Instantaneous fuel economy on trip computer.

Wipers sweep on low rather than high speed in 'mist' mode (left wiper whacks water in front of passenger on downward sweep).

Larger number of characters displayed in XM artist/title info displayed on nav screen.

Tilting seat cushion on passenger's seat--odd place to scrimp, my wife doesn't appreciate the 'penalty box' seating.

Sun visor which reaches all the way to A-pillar--huge 'hole' on left side of visor.

Fewer snaps, crackles & pops in headliner corners near A-pillar (I've cured the glovebox & wind deflector myself, dealer clueless).

Give me a few more minutes & I'm sure I could come up with many more.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Instructor

- Enable the CD/DVD system to display disk/song information on the Nav screen rather than just "disk/track". I'd like to be able to choose by disk name & song title without having to remember what disk is in what slot. ...

- Bigger center console compartment. I can only fit about 10 CDs in the main center compartment ...
Yep to the first! I actually fit five CD's in the top center storage, with a small "case" for 10 more sitting under the driver seat. I store my 12 volt dc converter (to standard household outlet) and some other electronics in the big center console....

I actually wish it had a tire pressure monitor AND that the steering wheel controls could change from one CD to the next (not just mode.)
:smackhead

Still, I love the car!!! It is amazing: whatever you want from the car you get. When you drive it hard, you're rewarded; when you want to relax, its manners and quiet just knock you out!
Old 04-15-2004, 08:38 PM
10th Gear

Get rid of that HUGE blindspot.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=xpditor42]

Plato:

I'm getting my new TL next week and I spend entirely too much time on this Bitch Central forum. It gets me down sometimes.
X P
I think that people tend to point out every negative thing they can find about the car. Some are legit and problems that you might even find on yours. I think many may have even been corrected in later production runs.

I love this car and would not trade it for any other production car in it's class. There are a few things I think could be changed to make it better.

1) Moveable guages would be very cool.
2) Battery and oil pressure guage. (these can even be found in your average Ford Focus)
3) The MID is in a terrible spot. The center overhead console would be much better (where the sunroof controls are)
4) Additional info such as time, average MPG, average moving MPG for both Trip meters. THis info could also be incorporated into the NAV unit.
5) the ability to mark and store points in the NAV unit.
6) The ability to save searches so when looking for the closest Starbucks it could be found with a press or two or even be tied in with the Voice Command. Overall I find the seach feature of the NAV unit very unituitive. Why on earth would it show me shopping stores greater than 50 miles away without me implicitly asking? You can select show nearest but then you can't search by name. It really sucks.
7) The name of the song/artist/album should be dispayed on the NAV or Center display. I was shocked to see that even DVDA disks do not display any of this info.
8) 60/40 Split Folding rear seats. The seat folds, but then you lose both back seats.

Again, these are not complaints but upgrades that would make a great car even better.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Team Antracite Member

So, here goes:
- Enable the CD/DVD system to display disk/song information on the Nav screen rather than just "disk/track". I'd like to be able to choose by disk name & song title without having to remember what disk is in what slot. (Heck, it would even be nice if it would display the album cover on the Nav screen while the disk is playing). This could be accomplished via a data link over a Bluetooh enabled cell phone I suppose.

- Bigger center console compartment. I can only fit about 10 CDs in the main center compartment

- add daytime running lights

- display gear information when in "D" rather than only when moved into trip-tronic mode. It would be nice to always be able to see what gear i'm in.

That's really all I can think of. My hat is off to the engineers who built this car. It fits like a glove and drives like a slot car. I am really happy with it so far (no rattles, no vibrations, the head liner is still on, and no paint issues).
Love everything but here are my two cents

- Sunglasses Holder
- Bluetooth Contact sync with the navigation - Love to get my outlook contacts in there. Wouldn't be too hard.
- DVDA - Info - yes lets list the artist
- XM - show icons or logos for the stations.
- Did someone say the entire back seat folds down? Elaborate Please?
- Yes when using the Shiftronic you can't see what gear your in
- Bit larger glove box. Can't even fit the manual book in there
- More solid craftmanship in the areas around the speakers. Tend to make the plastics buzz a bit
- Ditto on the Battery/Oil pressure
- Auto Sunroof open all the way
- A bit more torque - Like 30 pounds

Abyss Blue Pearl/Camel/Navigation
Old 09-16-2004, 09:47 PM
10th Gear

Request for Canadians

How about a coin holder that actually holds Loonies and Toonies??
Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 PM
i souport publik edekason

Originally Posted by cdavec
How about a coin holder that actually holds Loonies and Toonies??
Stop talking bad about the Newfoundlanders... hehe
Old 09-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Racer

How about a digital compass for those of us without NAV!

My Maxima had this imbedded in the rearview mirror....
Old 09-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
hey lets just bump a 5 month ol thread :P
Old 09-16-2004, 10:40 PM
registered !!

How about a cell phone interface on the screen, with a standard telephone keypad (touch screen ofcourse). It might be distractive during driving, but so is programming the navi to look-up/go-to a specific address. And how about having the phonebook embedded in the navi too, so that whoever calls has his/her name showing on the navi screen aswell. Well pretty much having a phone section on the screen, showing last dialed numbers, missed-calls, recieved calls. Just nit picking though, but something that is very much possible given all the technology thats already is in the car.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Acurich
Wipers sweep on low rather than high speed in 'mist' mode (left wiper whacks water in front of passenger on downward sweep).
Though I don't have an 04', but on my wife's 03' TL, if I click the wipers on mist, they sweep in low speed. If I hold it in mist mode, it sweeps on high speed. The 04's don't do this?
Old 09-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Acurazine Addict

That's a pretty good idea.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:56 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by XPDitor

I am sure everyone at my dealership is dreading the day my car comes in. They have been put on standby and told not to touch it or take the plastic off until I get there to inspect it. Then, I will supervise the removal of the plastic, the cleaning of the interior, and I will take them two new sheeps wool wash mits. I will check their car wash and make sure NO BRUSHES are used on the new paint and that they DO NOT use a power buffer. In fact, I don't want them to polish it. I will do that when I get it home.

This car is costing me more than my house did. I'm paying for a virgin and a virgin I will have!

They deserve a Purple Heart when they get me over the curb and watch my LEDs go over the hill. I should throw a party for them. Maybe I will.

Oh, yeah! I agree about the steering wheel blocking guages. Haven't they seen a new Maxima or 350Z? Also, the MID is a little plain and low res monochrome. Color would have been nice with higher resolution.
Wow, and I thought I was anal about my car I feel really sane, now.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Instructor

all that would be nice but one thing that drives me crazy is the rattling noise on the windows, if u crack the window then it goes away..still havent found a fix to this except to pump the music
Old 09-17-2004, 10:35 AM
10th Gear

1) electric eye to adjust brightness of guages. Thus the guages are not darkened when driving in the rain or at dusk.

2) Button to open trunk when unlocked on the trunk door. Why go all the way back to the drivers seat.

3) The trip computer stays where you had it when you turn off the car.

4) Control to scroll through the trip computer easier to reach.

5) Room for my V1 above the rearview mirror.

6) Ability to seek stations from the steering wheel. (in my BMW holding down the preset buttons would seek)
Old 09-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Instructor

As long as were wishing. I would like to see a gearbox indicator for the 6 speed as well.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking the same thing!!
Old 09-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Advanced

I have one complaint about my 04 A-TL. I did not but two of them, I have to fight my wife for the keys, a good thing I get up much earlier than she does!
Old 09-17-2004, 12:13 PM
DWP
Advanced

Originally Posted by longwood
1)
6) Ability to seek stations from the steering wheel. (in my BMW holding down the preset buttons would seek)
... just as long as it isn't "seek" only, right? With the current Mercedes E-class, "seek" is all you can do from the steering wheel; it doesn't select the presets on the head unit and there is no option to do so. How dumb is that? So, your current BMW lets you choose either "seek" or "next preset" from the steering wheel, depending upon how long you hold down the button? What series and year, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 09-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Guilty, yer honor!

Originally Posted by ITL
Wow, and I thought I was anal about my car I feel really sane, now.
Actually, that was I who posted that; not ibeplato (unless he/she quoted me).

It's all true, too.

XP, Certified A. R.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Advanced

folding rear seats??

Originally Posted by TLJohn
60/40 Split Folding rear seats. The seat folds, but then you lose both back seats.
Huh?
Old 09-17-2004, 04:06 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DWP
... just as long as it isn't "seek" only, right? With the current Mercedes E-class, "seek" is all you can do from the steering wheel; it doesn't select the presets on the head unit and there is no option to do so. How dumb is that? So, your current BMW lets you choose either "seek" or "next preset" from the steering wheel, depending upon how long you hold down the button? What series and year, if you don't mind my asking?
My prior 3 series (have had a TL for a little more than a month) was a 1999 323i with sport package.

When you pushed the button on the steering wheel it would jump to the next preset. When you held it down for a few seconds it would seek the next station. Very handy and simple.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Disproportionate Member

Originally Posted by cTLgo
hey lets just bump a 5 month ol thread :P
I love how people bitch if you don't do a search and post something that's been posted, then bitch when you post in a topic that's been covered...
Old 09-17-2004, 06:43 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Simple, leave them all the time! :toothless
There's one other problem with this that some people may not have realized. Those of you who garage your cars, and leave your keys in them when you do, should know that if you leave your headlights on all the time, they will NOT EVER GO OUT unless you take the keys out of the ignition. You either need to take them out (I think you can stick them right back in, but you must at least remove them for a moment) or you must turn the headlights off manually.

I'm sure that anyone who owns this car, and leaves their keys in the ignition while in the garage, has already long since realized this, but new and prospective owners may not. Just a heads up.

(Obviously, someone correct me if this isn't how it works on all TLs. It works this way on mine -- regardless of the headlamp timeout setting -- but I can't guarantee that it works this way for everyone.)
Old 09-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Instructor

The one flaw for me is the blind spot out the front right side of the car. I was at a stop and pulled out to turn left when the TOWN CAR was right in front of me. Thank goodness it was a courteous driver who was able to avoid the accident.
Between the A-pillar, rear view mirror (and my radar detector) I have a huge blind spot. I am used to it now and throughly check for traffic coming from my right.

Quick Reply: Had my TL for a week - here's what I'd change