3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys anyone regret getting Navi, is it worth it..

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Drago
Guys THANKS for all the input, considering that all of the 38 replys were in favor of spending the extra dought to purchase the Navi, I am on my way to the dealers to pick up a 05 Pearl White TL WITH NAVI !!

Thanks guys cant wait to get the car in a couple of hours...

Great job guys,
Drago belived everything posted. another navi sold.

Director
Acura Navi Internet Sales Team

(Drago take it easy, just a joke, you will love the navi and congratulations....:-)

Old 02-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drago
I was in the dealership today and was playing around the Navi/Voice Command, I must say that in alot of situations it is quicker for me to turn the radio up or down directly than having to speak it and wait five seconds for it to happen, so I guess Im asking is it worth 3000$CDN for the Navi/voice...

thanks...
The navigation complements this automobile like leather does the seats. Ya lots of folks could be happy with cloth seats BUT! Then again it depends on your driving needs. If you travel new roads, take trips or go new places the navi is a must. It's what ALL cars should have. Some day they will and Navi's will have more and more traffic information similar to what the RL is trying to accomplish with it's amalgamation of XM traffic overlay on it's Navi system. Go for the Navi you will not regret it one iota!
Old 02-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
This is not an intended hijacking but since the subject has been brought up, what are you talking about 3.04A, C etc..? Is this a difference in the navi unit or the software? (or something else)
Duh, sorry..
The reference is to the current version of the navi DVD disk (The current version as of Feb 2005 is 340.c. They bring out updates (just like software on your computer) that have been updated with new roads, points of interest and some technical changes and enhancements. Unfortunetly, updates can come out just after the build date of the TL making the disk the auto comes with a little out of date. It should be a policy of ACURA to supply a current disk for say 3 months after the purchase of your TL or give a prorated discount on an updated disk. The asking price is around $180 for the update which is kinda steep. I think we should ALL contack HONDA/ACURA to see if they will amend their policy on this and better satisfy their new TL owners. . . (My Rant)
Old 02-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Enthusiastic Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Regrets!

I am a real estate agent in the phoenix area. I can certainly use a map.

This is my first car with any NAVI and I can't go back. I also store locations on the fly when I am doing research, but don't want to stop and jot down addresses and data.

In a lot of the newer areas that I work (NW Valley) I use the breadcrumbs, since the map will rarely have information.

I really debated getting this, since I have lived for so long with only a map. Once in a while, NAVI will send me in a direction that makes no sense, but considering how often I use it and my own experience, this isn't bad.

Get it
Old 02-15-2005, 02:23 AM
Instructor

I had navi envy back when I owned the CL Type S. After having my Navi 05 TL for about 4 month now, I most certainly recommend the navi to anyone out there!

Also, for those of you finding voice command taking a while to respond, turn on the "Voice Feedback" in the settings screen. I find the voice feedback eases the wait, and I feel better to have the car confirm my voice command.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Intermediate

The only drawback with the Navi is that now I have both the wife and the Navi bitching at me that I'm going the wrong way.

"No, really, I know that 450 1st Street is this way."

"Then why is the navi saying its the other way, and SHE"S saying you're going the wrong way. You need to listen to both of us. Admit it, you're lost and She knows where she's going. . . . . . . . . . "

Old 02-15-2005, 03:42 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Spingrinder
The only drawback with the Navi is that now I have both the wife and the Navi bitching at me that I'm going the wrong way.
Lol, this was good. I started tearing from laughing so hard!
Old 02-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by myculito
Lol, this was good. I started tearing from laughing so hard!
I was trying to hold my laugh since I sit not that far away from my boss...
Old 02-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Advanced

get the NAVI...if for no other reason than how poorly designed the dash is in the non-navi...not too mention the fact that you'll use it more often than you think
Old 02-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Yes, get the navi. It can be extremely useful. Without the navi the dash looks empty, like some thing is missing.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:14 AM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
Are you serious?? This thing has a calender, address book, calculator y others???
Where??
Guess I 'd better start reading manuals...
Calandar allows you to input reminders too. I sometimes use to remind me of things I need to do that are related to my TL (like when my trunk tray came in).

Calculator is also useful, especially for us canadians since it has metric to US mesures conversions built-in.

"Adress book". As far as I know there's two of them. One for the phone and one for the Nav (which also supports phone numbers). You can enter adresses in many ways including "current position", enter phone numbers (which links to he bluetooth phone) and even organize your adresses by category.

I love the address book. As a Bird photographer I put down all the "hot spots" for birding activity in my address book. Makes it much easier for me to find the sites a few weeks after.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Zeuser
Calculator is also useful, especially for us canadians since it has metric to US mesures conversions built-in.
Still can't get used to Fahrenheit system & there's no way to change the Climate control temperature setting to Celcius...
Old 02-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
How do you make use of the "Detour" selection? I tried to use mine yesterday to avoid a traffic backup due to a building fire and it is greyed out.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,663 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraTL44
Yes, get the navi. It can be extremely useful. Without the navi the dash looks empty, like some thing is missing.
Not for nothing, . If there's one car where the Navi screen completes the dashboard, it's the TL. I have Navi in my minivan and it really does come in VERY handy.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
How do you make use of the "Detour" selection? I tried to use mine yesterday to avoid a traffic backup due to a building fire and it is greyed out.
If there's only one route, i doubt that it can create alternate route. Basically what I usually do is click Menu --> Detour. Also let the list of directions comes up first, because after calculating route, it might take a while before the direction list actually comes up.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:47 AM
ediddy

Thumbs up

hell yeah navi is worth it....i wouldnt have bought the tl without the nav, and back up sensors, and trunk tray and all season floor mats and lojack and tire warranty =D
Old 02-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
May seem like a simplistic question but did you have a route programmed? My first assumption is that you were just doing normal driving, without having the Navi map out a route. The "Detour" option only works to find an alternate to the route that's already programmed and active, and then only for about the next five miles or so.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

Navigation is a very practical and usefull device. In many cases, it has saved me from being lost in an unkown areas. All of my future cars will have the Navi. It does worth to pay $2K for it.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:37 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

You gotta get the navi!

The TL's navi system is not just about planning for a trip. It's about how the system is integrated with many other features within the car using voice commands (e.g.; climate control, sound system, Bluetooth, etc.). It's about how it "completes" the interior. It's about resale value. It's about being able to find something when you're already on the road, like the closest Autozone or Best Buy or movie theatre.

Believe me, I didn't even think twice about it when I bought my '01 CL-S (without navi). Luckily for me, I did when I bought my '04 TL (with navi). I will never have another car without it!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Racer

Thumbs up Get the Navi!!!

Well worth the extra $$$ if it is within your budget.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 AM
8th Gear

The intergation of the NAVI with a bluetooth phone is very cool. It is amazing to me how once you have a NAVI as I did and do in my wifes '01 Odyssey and now the TL with both NAVI and bluetooth it's hard to imagine having a car without them.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

To 1995hoo;

You know, after I posted my question, I gave it a little more thought and figured that's how it must work. All I had done was select "Go Home".

Thanks for your input.. I'll give it a try this afternoon on the way home from work.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
To 1995hoo;

You know, after I posted my question, I gave it a little more thought and figured that's how it must work. All I had done was select "Go Home".

Thanks for your input.. I'll give it a try this afternoon on the way home from work.
If you use "Go Home" and it has plotted out a route and you see the blue line on the screen, then you should be able to say "Menu" and then "Detour" and it should plot out an alternate, unless maybe you are so close to home that there is no other route. If it hasn't actually finished plotting out the route and started giving you directions, then I would think "Detour" wouldn't work because there is nothing from which it could detour you.

If you already had an active route going, then I don't know what it would be.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Cruisin'

Another benefit of the NAVI is it has helped my 6-year old learn about reading and appreciating maps, real-time!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
Navigation has helped me out many of times. However, I doesn't work that well in Washington DC.
Originally Posted by gsxr60097
I also found ths out the hard way in DC. It got me within 2 blocks and then had me doing circles so I just parked and walked the 2 blocks. Although, I must say I wouldn't have been able to find the hotel without it. Love it. Especially in those situations. Get the navi. I also considered the nonnavi but knew I would regret it. It has so many cool features. Calculator, Calender, addrerss book and so many other.
DC was laid out in a certain way (During WW 2) that people get LOST, make it harder for strangers to attack key buildings...so people tend to get lost up there unless they are familiar and know where they are going.

I am not saying that should be a reason why a NAVI should not work but the best explanation I would come up with is that since the DVD NAVI would get tired recalculating due to the round and round circle (with the DVD continously spinning) it would not perform as great.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

To 1995hoo;

Yep, it worked just fine as you described. Thanks a bunch! I just learned one more thing about this car. I know I still have a lot to learn about the Nav because, well frankly, I learn things about it as the need arises.

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:09 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by scrb09
DC was laid out in a certain way (During WW 2) that people get LOST, make it harder for strangers to attack key buildings...so people tend to get lost up there unless they are familiar and know where they are going.

I am not saying that should be a reason why a NAVI should not work but the best explanation I would come up with is that since the DVD NAVI would get tired recalculating due to the round and round circle (with the DVD continously spinning) it would not perform as great.
Minor Hijack and correction.

DC was laid out way before WWII. Your concept is correct though. The circles are/were to confuse invaders. I would think the Navi can see everything but not talk fast enough to keep up as the spoke streets are so close coming out of the hub (circle). Does it recalculate and again become accurate when you exit the circle?

Back on-topic. I love the navi and even try to get people to buy it that don't drive their cars much. I have been trying not to trade in my wife's '02 MDX just to get the navi.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:00 AM
Instructor

Hello? DVD spinning round and round makes it dizzy, tired of recalculatin? Son there is NOT a real little man or woman that goes with the voice. AND the Navi does not get tired. . . It will recalculate new routes continiously until you stop driving opposite it's suggested routes. What part of the South did you say you're from again??
Old 02-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
Hello? DVD spinning round and round makes it dizzy, tired of recalculatin? Son there is NOT a real little man or woman that goes with the voice. AND the Navi does not get tired. . . It will recalculate new routes continiously until you stop driving opposite it's suggested routes. What part of the South did you say you're from again??
Mr.Snappy Pappy you look like you came from way down south as the name pappy suggests... I never SAID the DVD spinning makes it dizzy or sumthing where did you get that SH*t from ?

Ladies and Gentleman Presenting... TL EINSTIEN HERE WHO FINALLY FIGURED OUT THAT THERE IS NOT A REAL MAN OR WOMAN THAT GOES WITH THE VOICE AND TOLD THE WORLD!!!

Let me try to EXPLAIN it one more time what I meant and maybe you can use a Spanish to English dictionary when you read it Pappy...what I said is that since the DVD has to Recalculate (IF you have used a NAVI before you would know that it takes 10-15 seconds for it to Recalculate a route) so if you have made a turns by then or started to go somewhere else then it has to recalculate again which takes extra time (like you said "It will recalculate new routes continiously until you stop driving opposite it's suggested routes") (BASIC DVD Input/Output or seek time...) so it basically just does NOT PERFORM as well as it would like in Connecticut where they freeking have no METRO city's , GOT IT....?
IT is a NAVI not a ROCKET invented by NASA, it does have flaws
Old 02-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Mr.Snappy Pappy you look like you came from way down south as the name pappy suggests... I never SAID the DVD spinning makes it dizzy or sumthing where did you get that SH*t from ?

Ladies and Gentleman Presenting... TL EINSTIEN HERE WHO FINALLY FIGURED OUT THAT THERE IS NOT A REAL MAN OR WOMAN THAT GOES WITH THE VOICE AND TOLD THE WORLD!!!

Let me try to EXPLAIN it one more time what I meant and maybe you can use a Spanish to English dictionary when you read it Pappy...what I said is that since the DVD has to Recalculate (IF you have used a NAVI before you would know that it takes 10-15 seconds for it to Recalculate a route) so if you have made a turns by then or started to go somewhere else then it has to recalculate again which takes extra time (like you said "It will recalculate new routes continiously until you stop driving opposite it's suggested routes") (BASIC DVD Input/Output or seek time...) so it basically just does NOT PERFORM as well as it would like in Connecticut where they freeking have no METRO city's , GOT IT....?
Hey, Hey, just a stab at humor! Your intitial post left me scratching my head as to what you were saying. Your second post (this one) was more enlightening. Sometimes it pays to use a few more descriptive wording to get your point across. I think Alpine/Navtec did a wonderful job with the Navi and Acura is recoginzed as the best available at this point in time. Well they improve. Damn straight. Will owners have complaints? Of course. You got the Southern part correct. Born in South Carolina but raised in California where I was inculcated into the car craze culture. My Sister resides in Raleigh . . Probably your neighbor. Lol. . . So don't shout my name in vain. PS thanks for the Mr. in your post. Have a good day 'METRO' wise . . .
Old 02-19-2005, 12:55 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
If you use "Go Home" and it has plotted out a route and you see the blue line on the screen, then you should be able to say "Menu" and then "Detour" and it should plot out an alternate, unless maybe you are so close to home that there is no other route.
Pulling right up in front of my home then hitting [Go Home] makes the chick in the system say:

"Make U-Turn, Destination Is On The Left" ..

Anyone else tried this?
Old 02-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,777 Likes on 13,968 Posts
Coming from a CL guy, I tell you, I'd kill for the TL's nav system in my car...

So, get it!
Old 02-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Red line...use it

I agree with a previous comment...the Navi is the heart. So much better to view audio with the screen, calculator, calendar, directions, blue tooth display. I was in my friends without NAVI and the car looked so much cheaper and harder to use..

BUT, I do not think you can adjust the audio volume with the voice rec.

get it...
Old 02-19-2005, 06:19 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by 04TLMan
I do not think you can adjust the audio volume with the voice rec.
Nope, you have to use the steering wheel or panel controls.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's something to think about. Could it be possible that the GPS signal in the Washington area could have a programmed error for national security reasons?

Old 02-19-2005, 06:46 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, this explains everything... I will now stop looking for this mysterious person in my car....

I kinda think the whole forum "attempt at humor", then retaliation with sarcasm, then sometimes more sarcasm, then semi apologetic / explanatory posts are what make things interesting.
We're all human, express things differently etc..

Back to topic: Wise choice getting the Navi!
Old 02-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Racer

OK, here's what I think is the definitive answer on this subject. Yea I'm a modest guy

I drove a taxicab in the city I live in for 14 years. I seriously doubt anybody knows their city better than I do. Hey I told you I was modest

I had Navi on my last car. I wouldn't have even considered getting the TL if it didn't offer it. Actually no car where Navi wasn't an option was considered. So not only don't I regret it, I don't regret it twice.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
get the navi its sooo worth it

get the navi, believe me its worth it

you can get dvd option later...as a mod

like i did

again...i strongly reccomended getting the navi
Old 02-19-2005, 08:56 PM
10th Gear

It is much easier and quicker to use the audio controls on the steering wheel than the voice commands, except if you are tuning to a station not programmed to a button or using the CD/DVD-A.

I love my voice commands, the touch screen & everything else associated w/ the NAVI. I would not buy another car w/o it.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:27 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no navi no fun (for 04+ tl)

lol

Quick Reply: Guys anyone regret getting Navi, is it worth it..