Sponsored by:

Grate Grin On A Stock 05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob05tl
It looks awsome!!! I have 2 question:

1. Why cant you use the 07 light and housing (obviously the housing would need to be cut off and overlayed as you did with the honda one)? I would think it might be easier than having to cut and reshape the honda housing and light assemble...but I am sure you have a good reason.

2. Do you still have use of the original foglights in the head light assembly? Or could you turn them into driving lights...that would be cool as well.

Again, AWSOME job!!! I wish you were closer to me so I could "Bribe" you to do it for me!!!!
The 07 fog light cover has an oval hole that is larger than the accord fog light so it wouldn't look good unless you used the oem 07 fog light. SteveP66 is correct, they're quite expensive compared to the Accord set you can get for just over $40.00.
Another issue you'll have with cutting the lower grill and overlaying the oval hole after modifying it is finding a way to attach it to the fog light. Once you separate it from the other half of the grill, it's just a flat peice of plastic with no way to keep it mounted in the lower grill opening unless you glue it. With the Accord fog lamp kit, the housing actually attaches to the fog light with screws.

And yes my original fog lights still work like normal. I think one of the earlier pics showed them on with the rest of the lights. I'm keeping them wired as they are because there are times that I'd like to sit in my running vehicle without any lights on to draw attention.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crook
The 07 fog light cover has an oval hole that is larger than the accord fog light so it wouldn't look good unless you used the oem 07 fog light. SteveP66 is correct, they're quite expensive compared to the Accord set you can get for just over $40.00.
Another issue you'll have with cutting the lower grill and overlaying the oval hole after modifying it is finding a way to attach it to the fog light. Once you separate it from the other half of the grill, it's just a flat peice of plastic with no way to keep it mounted in the lower grill opening unless you glue it. With the Accord fog lamp kit, the housing actually attaches to the fog light with screws.

And yes my original fog lights still work like normal. I think one of the earlier pics showed them on with the rest of the lights. I'm keeping them wired as they are because there are times that I'd like to sit in my running vehicle without any lights on to draw attention.
Thanks for the reply. Obviously you have spent a lot of time working on this and you VERY MUCH know what you are talking about!!! Again, it looks FANTASTIC...wish you were closer, I would buy your front end from you (mine is NBP as well)!!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crook, Excellent Job Well Done!!!

I have always wanted fog lower fog lights.

Up here in Canada we don't get fog lights at all (04/05/06). We have DRL's in place of the factory fogs.

I wonder if there is any OEM wiring at all for us to use with the Honda Accord OEM fog light kit?

I think I will wait until summer, too cold up here now

Cheers,

bernie_d

2004 ABP AT (new in Aug 04)
Navigation
18" Panther Custom Wheels
235/40 ZR 18 Yokoham ES 100
Comptech RSB
Lip spoiler
All season mats (in the winter)
Old 01-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bernie_d

I have always wanted fog lower fog lights.

Up here in Canada we don't get fog lights at all (04/05/06). We have DRL's in place of the factory fogs.

I wonder if there is any OEM wiring at all for us to use with the Honda Accord OEM fog light kit?

I think I will wait until summer, too cold up here now

Cheers,

bernie_d

2004 ABP AT (new in Aug 04)
Navigation
18" Panther Custom Wheels
235/40 ZR 18 Yokoham ES 100
Comptech RSB
Lip spoiler
All season mats (in the winter)
The oem Accord fog light kit came with an oem wiring harness designed for the Accord. The harness was loomed and even included its own relay and zip ties. It didn't plug right in to the Acura TL but it was easy to use. I only had to run a single wire from the relay I mounted in the engine compartment to the switch on the dash. I think the only other wires I had to wire up were a positive(fused) and negative under the hood for the relay and a positive trigger (parking lights) and a ground for the switch.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

the bumpers are bigger by 3 inches on the 07's for space for the foglight housings and if you try matching up the grill to our 04-06 models the foglight cut out doesnt fit in the corner.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Instructor

My wiring for Accord harness

Another member asked me for some information on wiring the Accord fog lights and switch to the TL. Here are some locations that I tapped into. I hope this information makes some of your installs easier.

I only used three of the four wires coming from the accord switch. I used the Black(ground), Green(12V power signal that goes to the included Accord relay on the harness under the hood) and a Red/Black stripe wire(12V signal going into the switch from a parking light signal in the Acura TL).

There is an extra solid red wire that is supposed to be used for illumination control for the little light in the switch but I just taped it off and didn't use it. The light on the switch illuminates at full intensity in the on position without this solid red wire connected. I didn't need to see the light to know my fogs were on so I ended up painting the switch button solid black.

This is where I tapped into the under hood fuse box for the main 12V power that goes to the fog light relay and then directly to the bulbs. Make sure you use an inline fuse, of course. Use extreme caution with this terminal and do not accidentally ground it out or the Fourth of July will come early this year!

Black ground wire tap for the switch

Parking light signal for the Accord switch

Old 02-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Terminex

Nice job & pics

I did want to be able to tell when the fogs were on, so I used a small square of painters tape in the center of the switch before painting it. then after the paint was dry, i removed the square, and now have a white square in the center of the switch that lights up when they are on. I also swapped the light from the VSA switch into the accord switch so that the color matches the other lighted switches in the car.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I just replaced the bulbs with PIAA's the other day so no pics yet, but they are now pure white and match the HID's.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
that looks so good - Term what PIAA number did you use - so I can get mine ahead on time..........LOL.

Was doing a little work on the new grates tonight but still too cold to get them installed
Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Terminex

Originally Posted by SteveP66
that looks so good - Term what PIAA number did you use - so I can get mine ahead on time..........LOL.

Was doing a little work on the new grates tonight but still too cold to get them installed
PIAA H11 Extreme White Plus
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Pro

"dynomat engine compartment sound deadening dust"
Old 02-26-2007, 12:12 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Great post and pics to match.

This is what this forum is all about. Thanks for taking your time to experiment and photo document the entire install. Truly good stuff. Car looks fantastic.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Added a front lip

I finally installed a front lower lip spoiler post fog light mod. I found out that I did have to use a hand saw to cut out some of the fog light trim on the bottom and half way up the outside edge to create a gap so the aspec lip could fit in the gap correctly. I was able to install the lip without having to remove the fog lights or the lower grills. Took about an hour or so. The most difficult and time consuming part of the install was using a small drywall saw to trim the fog light shroud by hand, being careful not to slip and scratch my paint. It worked out in the end.

The aspec lip fits against the lower grill grates so you definately need to have your lower grills installed first, before putting on the aspec lip. I know I won't be able to pull out the lower grills again unless I remove the aspec lip.

It's starting to warm up. If some of you still planning on doing this mod, let me know if you have any questions.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:43 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^WOW looks awesome!!! So glad I found this thread! Can't wait to do this mod too
Old 04-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Instructor

-Crook,

So I've been hunting the forums for the last few weeks trying to get bits and pieces on install instructions on my accord foglights. This is by far the best thread I've run into.

I see that you instructions show how to wire the foglights and have them control by the switch. Do you know of any way to wire the foglights without the need for the switch? I don't care about using the switch. I just want to wire the fogs somehow so that they automatically turn on when I turn on my headlamps. I heard about the ability to tap into parking lights but I'm still clueless on what to do and how/where to tap into the parking lights. Can you or anyone here help me out?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Instructor

-Crook

Would I still need to use the harness under the dash if I have not need for the accord switch?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by warrior15r
-Crook,

So I've been hunting the forums for the last few weeks trying to get bits and pieces on install instructions on my accord foglights. This is by far the best thread I've run into.

I see that you instructions show how to wire the foglights and have them control by the switch. Do you know of any way to wire the foglights without the need for the switch? I don't care about using the switch. I just want to wire the fogs somehow so that they automatically turn on when I turn on my headlamps. I heard about the ability to tap into parking lights but I'm still clueless on what to do and how/where to tap into the parking lights. Can you or anyone here help me out?
Yes, you can wire the fog lights to turn on with your headlights and you don't have to install the Accord switch if you don't want to. Understand that if you wire them to turn on with your headlights, you will not be able to run the fog lights with only your parking lights on. Also, your highbeams and fog lights will flash all at the same time when you flash someone while your headlight switch is in the off position.

If you wish to wire your lights this way, assuming your wire harness is that same as the one I have, follow my instructions in post #46 but don't run any wire to your dash. Find out which wire from the included(Accord)relay is the "trigger" wire to activate the relay. Mine was the red/black stripe that goes to the Accord switch. You'll need to tap into the 12V headlight signal.

I don't recommend this method but you can tap into the blue 15amp fuse on the lower right corner of the fuse box under the hood. This is fuse#1, fuse#6 is 15amps and goes to the other headlight. These fuses only receive 12Volts when you turn your headlight switch to the headlight (ON) position. You'll have to find a way to tap that fuse blade with a FIRM connection, possibly with a (mini add a fuse) tap which have proven to be difficult to find. You can instead use the thin brass looking wedge fuse taps that some electronic stores might carry. Don't rig it and just wrap the wire around the fuse blade and stick it back in. A poor connection can generate heat and eventually start melting things or cause a fire.
Holler if you have any more questions.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Mini add a fuse

Here are two places that have them in stock. The second one you buy a 10 pack. Link will take you directly to the product page.

Parts Express

Tessco

I'm going to get mine from parts express for the backup cam/dvd install.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Instructor

-Crook,

Thank you for the response. Here is what my one of my harness looks like:

The left is a red/blue wire. The middle connects to the relay. The right is a green wire. Finally the black thing on the top is the relay.

1. From looking at this, would my red/blue wire be the one that taps into the 12V headlight signal?

2. When you said "fuse#1, fuse#6" does this mean I only need to tap into 1 of the 2 fuses?

3. What would I do with the green wire?

Sorry if I sound stupid, this is the first time I've worked with anything electrical in my life. Also what is the purpose of the relay? Looks like it just ends there.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Your relay looks a little different from the one I got. I can't tell from the picture but tell me how many wires are coming out of the relay socket and give me their exact colors. Also, show me or tell me what is on the other end of that harness leaving the bottom of the picture.

A relay is just an electronic switch usually "remotely" triggered by a lower current signal from the switch on your dash for example. It's safer and easier to manage electrical systems using relays. The relay is used in the foglight circuit to prevent the little dash switch from being part of the actual high current circuit.

A relay will usually have a high current input wire, a high current output wire and a negative(ground) wire. There is a fourth wire that is the trigger wire. If you provide power to the trigger wire then the relay will complete the connection between the input and output high current wires providing power to the foglights. If you listen for it, you can hear the "tick" sound when the relay is activated.
See if this link works for a pdf file on the Accord foglight schematics . Look at the last page.

If your harness is the same as the Honda factory oem and the relay is the same with the same colored wires, then connect the:

-Black wire to ground(-)

-Blue/Red wire to the high current 12volt terminal (See my underhood fusebox photo)

-Green wire to only one of the 15amp headlight fuses in the underhood fuse box. (Yes you only need to tap into one of them)

-Blue/yellow wire to the foglights' 12V input wire.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Instructor

There are 4 wires out of the relay socket.
-blue/yellow
-blue/red
-green
-black

Here is the bottom half of the harness:

So I'm guessing I just need to cut off the brown socket from my green wire and use a fuse tap to tap it into one of the 15amp headlight fuses right?

Do you have a picture of where you grounded the black wire to under the hood?
Old 04-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Also, does it matter whether I tap into the right or left end of the 15amp headlight fuses?
Old 04-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Also, does it matter whether I tap into the right or left end of the 15amp headlight fuses?
Yes, you can just cut off tht brown plug and connect that green wire to either one of those headlight fuses. You only need to connect it to one of them. Doesn't matter which one you choose.

That black wire coming out of the harness with the ring terminal is to be connect to ground(-). I used a self tapping screw and grounded it somewhere on the sheet metal behind the front bumper. I can't remember where exactly. A self tapping screw will drill it's own hole as you screw it in with a drill gun. Just remember to connect that ground wire after you plug in the two harness plugs to your light bulbs because there's not much slack to work with on that harness.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Instructor

So I just bought myself one of these to tap into the 15amp fuse. Autozone for 7 bucks. It says its not made to handle more than 10 amps. Will that be a problem? That way it works is the upper fuse is the new fuse and the lower fuse is where the original fuse needs to go. You think there would be a problem if I stuck the 15amp fuse into the the slot for the original fuse? Is a 10amp fuse enough to power the foglights?

Also, I noticed that you said you don't recommend tapping into the 15amp fuse. Is that because it might damage the headlamp somehow? I was thinking, what if I tapped into fuse #4 which is 10 amps. I know fuse #4 is labeled as small lights and I know for sure its only triggered when I turn on the parking lights. I know this because when I was putting in my floor lights, I blew fuse#4 and the light under the armrest wouldn't work until I replaced the fuse and turned on the parking light. What do you think Crook?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Instructor

So I just bought myself one of these to tap into the 15amp fuse. Autozone for 7 bucks. It says its not made to handle more than 10 amps. Will that be a problem? That way it works is the upper fuse is the new fuse and the lower fuse is where the original fuse needs to go. You think there would be a problem if I stuck the 15amp fuse into the the slot for the original fuse? Is a 10amp fuse enough to power the foglights?

Also, I noticed that you said you don't recommend tapping into the 15amp fuse. Is that because it might damage the headlamp somehow? I was thinking, what if I tapped into fuse #4 which is 10 amps. I know fuse #4 is labeled as small lights and I know for sure its only triggered when I turn on the parking lights. I know this because when I was putting in my floor lights, I blew fuse#4 and the light under the armrest wouldn't work until I replaced the fuse and turned on the parking light. What do you think Crook?

Old 04-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Instructor

If your fuse tap will fit then you can use it. The maximum 10Amp rating is for the load you connect to that red wire. Use a 15Amp fuse in the lower fuse slot and put the 5 amp fuse in the upper slot.

I only said I didn't recommend wiring to the fuse because I believe in wiring the separate switch in to give you independent control of the fog lights. You can wire it to the 15A headlight fuse and it should work fine.

I don't think you will be able to use fuse#4 even though it is there to protect your parking lights and accessory lights. This is because the fuse is constatnly "hot" meaning that 12volts are running through it no matter what position your parking light switch is in.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Everything makes sense to me now. Thanks for all the input! You've been a huge help Crook!
Old 04-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by terminex
PIAA H11 Extreme White Plus
Hey terminex, do you have any pictures of the PIAA H11 Extreme White Plus that you said matches the HID's? Are you using the stock HID's as well?
Old 04-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Instructor

Crook, i love everything you've done to your car. Sweet job!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the help Crook. Everything turned out great! That was a pain in the A**!!! Took me like 9 hours but the results were well worth it!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Oh this makes me crazy......I have to give it a try. (SOON)
Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the help Crook. Everything turned out great! That was a pain in the A**!!! Took me like 9 hours but the results were well worth it!
It came out looking good. Just think of those 9 hours you spent on this install as training and practice for the next mod you'll end up doing. Plus you've learned a little more about you car.

Great job, any plans for the front lip?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crook
It came out looking good. Just think of those 9 hours you spent on this install as training and practice for the next mod you'll end up doing. Plus you've learned a little more about you car.

Great job, any plans for the front lip?
Maybe if I can ever find a great deal. Otherwise..I have plenty of patience.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Looks fantastic warrior15r

What was the hardest part for ya? I haven't done mine yet......
Old 05-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SteveP66
Looks fantastic warrior15r

What was the hardest part for ya? I haven't done mine yet......
Cutting the grills so that they shaped properly. It was my first time using a dremmel tool ever! The first grill took the longest because I had no clue what to do, all i knew was that I needed to cut it properly and I only had 1 chance so I was slower than grandpa. Other than that, removing the bumper and wiring was cake. I found the instructions to remove the bumper on the forum.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Terminex

great job

looks really good.

Let me guess, you want to run outside every 15 minutes just to take another look at it, right?:-)

(I still have the same urge even a year later)
Old 05-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

That does look sharp.........I'm going to attempt mine soon.

If you like I think you can use the stock 07 TL bar to go across the grate - adds a nice touch.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

I did it too but i used HIDs in there they dont melt or fade or detstroy the lens, its strong enough to withstand the heat
Old 05-07-2007, 03:00 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

nice so where do you guys buy these parts? I want to start on this project as well, i just got done installing my supercharger on friday haha
~Jason
Old 05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Safety Car

ebay kiiidddddddd =) and order the grills from tim or anyone else who sells on the net =) enjoooyyy
Old 07-25-2007, 05:41 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I am planning on doing this mod come thursday or friday at my job. I wanted to know, did you use both relays in the kit? I have bought a kit from honda which ran me 250 ish. The switch harness will be left with about 3-4 plugs not used correct? and on the foglight harness the only thing not used should be that brown connector? Just want to confirm.

I am using the stock lower air pieces, i assume mounting the fogs would be the same as yours? I have made a thread where I did post a pic of my entire harness set up. If you look into it maybe you can have a better idea of what I am talking about. Thanks again!

LINK: https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/can-any-1-help-me-these-chem2-problems-163467/

Quick Reply: Grate Grin On A Stock 05 TL