Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got some emblems back.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:40 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sushi96720
Got a fast quote from Atlas Chrome to Black Chrome 2-front and rear A's, Rear ACURA & TL emblem for roughtly $90 with $10 shipping charge. Hope this helps
This helps, but I'm looking for more of a package price involving all of the pieces. So Kennedy is right. I can just send him the pics of Brett's and just let him tell me from that. Plus I will add a pic of the rear strip. You are also right about that Kennedy. I can just take that off and give it to him. I can do without that for a minute. The ride will still be a babe magnet mobile!

I will email these tonight! I think we will eventually get this done sooner than later! Is everybody on here doing the whole thing like me and Buda? Kennedy? Steve? Brett? How far are you guys going?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I need to complete my chrome look I'm going for would be that little trim piece above the license plate holder. I'm not going with any of the things you're doing with the emblems and stuff. Thanks, though.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
The silver trim above the license plate cannot be bought separately. It only comes as part of the license plate assembly. I have confirmed this both online and at the dealership. I hope to get a chance to call some salvage yards and see if they have any 04+ TLs that I could get the trim off of. If I find more than 1 TL then I'll try to get some extra trim pieces for others that are wanting to get this done.

darksom1, also ask him how much it would be for the "Acura", "TL" and "A-spec" badges as well. I will probably get those done as well. Not sure if I'll put them on or not, but it's more for others to see what it would look like.

Here, you can use these pics to send to him as all the badges are present:

If I do find a TL in a salvage yard I'm going to get the headlight casing for clearing. I might just pull out the chrome strip in there and have that done in black chrome too. With all this I may have to remove the lower grill strips I put on as it may no longer look good.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:12 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Buda
The silver trim above the license plate cannot be bought separately. It only comes as part of the license plate assembly. I have confirmed this both online and at the dealership. I hope to get a chance to call some salvage yards and see if they have any 04+ TLs that I could get the trim off of. If I find more than 1 TL then I'll try to get some extra trim pieces for others that are wanting to get this done.

darksom1, also ask him how much it would be for the "Acura", "TL" and "A-spec" badges as well. I will probably get those done as well. Not sure if I'll put them on or not, but it's more for others to see what it would look like.

If I do find a TL in a salvage yard I'm going to get the headlight casing for clearing. I might just pull out the chrome strip in there and have that done in black chrome too. With all this I may have to remove the lower grill strips I put on as it may no longer look good.
I'm getting my headlights blacked out at the end of the month. I already have an appt. I will scour the junkyards here for the same part. I made a post earlier, while you were off ripping apart a totally good NBP model, about the silver trim. LOL! I will ask him about the total package including everything we have mentioned, and then I will ask him specifically about what I want done. Which should be everything except the a-spec and the acura+TL badges on the rear. Man, we are going to be looking good after this!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
dark, give me a quick sum up of what you guys are doing.

I dont want to read the last 3 pages...
Old 03-11-2007, 01:17 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by trancemission
dark, give me a quick sum up of what you guys are doing.

I dont want to read the last 3 pages...
READ THE FUCKING THREAD!!!

I always wanted to do that to a moderator! You know, that bucking authority syndrome shit! LOL!

Anyway, I digress...

I sent Alex a copy of Brett's chrome pics which had the front grill assembly. Buda wants to do all of his emblems so I sent him the pics Buda put on here as well. I asked for a total price of doing everything, front grill and back emblems incl. strip above license plate, and I asked for a price of just the stuff I wanted:

Everything:
Front A and Grill incl strip on hood
Rear A, Acura, TL, A-spec, and strip above plate

My setup:
Everything on front, and only Rear A and strip

So I am waiting for a response from him.

The license plate strip does not come separately, so if you wanted an extra one you have to purchase that whole assembly. My guess is to go junkyard if you want that as Acura said $236+.

But Alex said as long as the piece you want done is already chromed painted, then he can color it...uh oh...that might be a prob right? Grill is not chrome! Damn! I just thought of that! I gotta call on Monday to verify this. He was having something at the house and told me this. Maybe he was distracted and didn't mean it like that. Do you know if that is true Trance? I think this makes a big difference as I will no longer be pursuing this if it will. I have no interest in just black chroming my emblems. Damn, damn, damnnnnnn!!!!!!

I will clarify this on Monday first thing so no over-reaction (like I did) LOL!
Old 03-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Dunno, that may very well be the case. Never really thought about it. In a sense he really is just coloring it. Just talk to him and ask him what process he was using when he did mine.

I can see what hes talking about though. If you send him grill pieces that are like a matted finish he would have to chrome them like Bretts are done. But if you're sending him already chromed ones maybe he is just coloring them....

Originally Posted by darksom1
You know, that bucking authority syndrome shit! LOL!
I really wouldnt put it that way. Thats just what you guys feel when we have to do our job...
Old 03-11-2007, 01:42 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by trancemission
I can see what hes talking about though. If you send him grill pieces that are like a matted finish he would have to chrome them like Bretts are done. But if you're sending him already chromed ones maybe he is just coloring them....
Yeah, I am really thinking this is the truth. I will know more on Monday, however, it makes perfect sense. Again, if it does, I will be disinterested as I don't think this is such a good idea for NBP (contrast-wise with just emblems done). What about you Buda?

I really wouldnt put it that way. Thats just what you guys feel when we have to do our job...
Nah, just breaking balls Trance. You guys are cool with me! Just picture this shit without ya'll keeping the threads on topic! LOL!
Old 03-11-2007, 01:47 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

If this doesn't pan out for me, I might transform to the straight chrome look! Hey, I already have chrome wheels and this will be perfect accents! I just really don't like our grill. I agree with Rockyfeller that somebody should design something for us that looks bad-ass! The present grill looks mere mortal!

Then, maybe I can use our boy Alex to cook up something nice!
Old 03-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

I have some extra grill pieces in my garage. Maybe Ill just send those to Alex and just let him mess with them.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Hey, darksom1, just to be clear: you don't need to have the hood molding chromed because you can buy that from Acura already chromed. The 2007 TL-S comes with the chrome front end, so that's an easy purchase and would probably save you some scrill.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Starcraft II addict

If we have to have to grill already chromed and Alex can't do it. I might just find a place to chrome it and then send it to Alex to color (hoping that the match is good with the emblems.

I'm still willing to purse this even if it will take a few extra steps.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Oh shoot, my bad. I forgot you guys were going with the darker chrome. Disregard my last post.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:48 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

If we have to have to grill already chromed and Alex can't do it. I might just find a place to chrome it and then send it to Alex to color (hoping that the match is good with the emblems.

I'm still willing to purse this even if it will take a few extra steps.
Well, I might still if it's not too much more. It better not be like what Brett paid though! I think it was like $350 for the wing and the V, plus however much to get the chrome hood strip from Acura. That doesn't even include Alex's work yet! I might be better off getting it painted NBP by a body shop and letting Alex hook me up with some black chrome emblems to set it off right! This in no way can approach $1000 and be cost-worthy mod for me. I wonder if anyone on here has done the body paint match on their grill?

Brett, how much is that hood piece from Acura? Delray has it at $35.60 for 04-06. How much for chrome 07?
Old 03-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Godfather of Chrome

I'll have to check the receipt when I get in to work tomorrow. The invoice for the purchase is on that computer. I want to say it was somewhere in the $70 ball park, but I'm not 100% on that.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:58 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
This helps, but I'm looking for more of a package price involving all of the pieces. So Kennedy is right. I can just send him the pics of Brett's and just let him tell me from that. Plus I will add a pic of the rear strip. You are also right about that Kennedy. I can just take that off and give it to him. I can do without that for a minute. The ride will still be a babe magnet mobile!

I will email these tonight! I think we will eventually get this done sooner than later! Is everybody on here doing the whole thing like me and Buda? Kennedy? Steve? Brett? How far are you guys going?
Once I see that front emblem, and can comfirm it matches the TL-S tails, I plan to have the following parts dark chromed:

- Front and Rear A's (debaged, no need for the lettering)
- Front grill
- Rear strip
- I plan to find a pair of seriously damaged TL headligths. I'm gonna dissassemble em, steal the chrome parts out, then have the chrome parts dark chromed.
I'l then partially paint part of the daem chromed portion of the headlights to give it a clean uniform look, with dark chrome highlights.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:19 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Once I see that front emblem, and can comfirm it matches the TL-S tails, I plan to have the following parts dark chromed:

- Front and Rear A's (debaged, no need for the lettering)
- Front grill
- Rear strip
- I plan to find a pair of seriously damaged TL headligths. I'm gonna dissassemble em, steal the chrome parts out, then have the chrome parts dark chromed.
I'l then partially paint part of the daem chromed portion of the headlights to give it a clean uniform look, with dark chrome highlights.
Have you tried to find that rear license plate at a junkyard in our area? You know I said it's all one piece right? I will look and let you know.

Also Kennedy, anything that is not chrome now has to be chromed FIRST before it is colored (which is what Alex does) is what is being speculated after my conversation with Alex. I will confirm this tomorrow with him.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Starcraft II addict

Also ask Alex how the coloring stands up to elements and if he recommends additional protection for it (for those of us in the northern states where salt is an issue).
Old 03-11-2007, 06:30 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Also ask Alex how the coloring stands up to elements and if he recommends additional protection for it (for those of us in the northern states where salt is an issue).
Good point. May be Trance can answer this as he was the first guinea pig.

Have you reached a ceiling for how far you are willing to go on this mod? As far as the mod on your model? LOL!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:15 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

UPDATE:

I just called and the lady said Alex is off today and he won't be back in until tomorrow. No response on the email sent over the weekend either.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Good point. May be Trance can answer this as he was the first guinea pig.

Have you reached a ceiling for how far you are willing to go on this mod? As far as the mod on your model? LOL!

Well, time will tell. My friend is about to put a set on his TL. Ill let you know how they stand up..
Old 03-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Brett, how much is that hood piece from Acura? Delray has it at $35.60 for 04-06. How much for chrome 07?
I bought mine for $26.50. Super steal! Yes, I bought it from an actual authorized Acura dealer...so it wasn't something that "fell off the truck" or anything like that.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by brettallica
I bought mine for $26.50. Super steal! Yes, I bought it from an actual authorized Acura dealer...so it wasn't something that "fell off the truck" or anything like that.
Well expect a PM from me on the info if this pans out! Thanks Brett!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:00 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Response from Alex was to inquire what the non-chrome parts were made of. I told him aluminum with a matte paint finish. Wasn't that right? At any rate, we will speak first thing in the morning.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I thought the whole grill, to include the hood trim, was plastic.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Starcraft II addict

Originally Posted by Kennedy
I thought the whole grill, to include the hood trim, was plastic.
I just checked and it is definitely plastic on the whole grill (including strip on hood) as well as the silver trim on the rear. I hope alex can do something with it. Otherwise we need to start searching for a place that does chrome plating so alex can color it.

If alex can't do the plastic, see if it will work if we get it chrome plated first.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Starcraft II addict

I haven't had time to call up salvage yards yet. Work is way to busy this week as we are migrating 2 million customers to a new billing system. Can we say headache!

The guy I bought my car from at the dealership is a friend. I'm going to try to see if he can get me my grill parts and emblems at cost.

I so want this look. However the other thread that is going on makes it hard with the mesh grills being posted.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I just checked and it is definitely plastic on the whole grill (including strip on hood) as well as the silver trim on the rear. I hope alex can do something with it. Otherwise we need to start searching for a place that does chrome plating so alex can color it.

If alex can't do the plastic, see if it will work if we get it chrome plated first.
Actually, I told him I wasn't sure but that was what I thought. I asked him wha the price was if it was chromed or had to b e chromed. So I should know all of that tomorrow. That was by email. I ain't letting him off the phone until he tells me whatever tomorrow. LOL! I hate emailing and waiting. I know you guys do too. I know one source for chrome plating at least if he won't do it and you want it Buda. It's that place that Brett mentioned that he got his done at. It was like $350 for the Front A, wing bar, and the triangular trim. He bought the strip on the hood from Acura chromed already because it was a 07 TL-S piece that fits our car. If Alex can't hook it up reasonably the way I want, then I'm going for the PPLAPW looking grill (you can see it in my grill thread). That grill is awesome looking! Only thing I would do different is maybe CF the whole trim part or NBP it. I want my whole front blacked out!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Starcraft II addict

^-- I like his mesh grill as well. I would have to decide if I would want the mesh that far back in or more flush with the front and angled back if I go that route. I"m still getting some sort of black chroming done either way.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^-- I like his mesh grill as well. I would have to decide if I would want the mesh that far back in or more flush with the front and angled back if I go that route. I"m still getting some sort of black chroming done either way.
Yeah, that is kinda far back. Hey, I just tried to PM you back but your box is full. The gf just came in a few minutes ago and I gotta give her some QT. I will hit you about noon my time (EST) tomorrow ok! By the way, I'm going to try to talk to Alex by then so we can know what's up!

- Ray
Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Starcraft II addict

Yeah, I just got the email message that my pm box was full. I'll try to get it cleaned up.

What do you think about black chrome on the mesh?

Hmm, one might think I'm obsessed with the black chrome.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Godfather of Chrome

I know you're not asking me, but I've got to say that black chrome on the mesh might be overkill. Not so much because it would be too garish or loud or whatever, but because it might just be a waste; I don't think you'd "notice" it too much. Then again, it would be a nice subtlety for those who really know about TLs.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Starcraft II addict

Originally Posted by brettallica
I know you're not asking me, but I've got to say that black chrome on the mesh might be overkill. Not so much because it would be too garish or loud or whatever, but because it might just be a waste; I don't think you'd "notice" it too much. Then again, it would be a nice subtlety for those who really know about TLs.

You have a point. Of course it would depend on the sizing of the mesh too, but either way it wouldn't be as noticeable.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Godfather of Chrome

You have a point. Of course it would depend on the sizing of the mesh too, but either way it wouldn't be as noticeable.
I believe that would be a more noticeable mod if it were done on a TL with a body color that contrasts the black, such as white, blue, or grey. But like I was saying, it would still add a nice subtlety to your ride. If you parked it next to a stock black TL, there would be something different about yours that the average person wouldn't quite be able to spot, but they'd just feel it.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
wow ethan, those emblems came out great... and finally complete, it only took what, like half a year or so...
Old 03-14-2007, 10:43 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

UPDATE:

Ok, I just got off the phone with Alex, and he says that we may have a problem with the grill. If, it is painted and not plated (the trim pieces incl. strip), then it is not do-able! If it is plated with a satin or satin-chrome finish, then he can go over it and do the color we want. He said he is going to try to look at a TL up close today and see for himself. It would really, really, really help if someone knew what the strip and molding were made of and what the finish was on it. This would go so much faster! I am going to try to call Acura parts and ask them, but honestly man, they sometimes don't know shit! I feel like I know more sometimes and I KNOW I don't know shit about it!

Having said that, if the pieces are do-able, he will charge approx. $45 to $50 for each piece. How's that?

I'm still going to call you Buda on my way to work from our lovely HFL!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:59 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

YESSS!!!!

Delray said plated so we have a winner!!

Giving credit to my earlier post of parts dept. people sometimes not knowing anything, can someone confirm this before my ass gets too excited??

Hurry, because I can feel me getting excited!! This will save me a lot of money on a custom (cut) grill if this works!
Old 03-14-2007, 11:23 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Not bad!!!!

By the way, I added up my expense on this and it is pretty reasonable I think to have that custom look on the front and rear:

Both A emblems = $40 ea, as per Trance's earleir posts

Front triangle molding = $50 (I used max price)

Front Hood Assy = $50

Rear Strip over lic plate = $50

Total = $343.34 (purchase of parts and Alex work, maybe less depending upon what Alex says)!!

Not bad for a pretty nice look right? Well, I'm going to do it as soon as I get my pieces, in particularly the lic plate assy. Good luck gang!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Starcraft II addict

Awesome news! Thanks for calling me and letting me know the details. I'm gonna try working on getting the parts. It'll be a little more expensive for me as I'm going with more emblems. However I may be able to get my parts at cost so that will help.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Godfather of Chrome

By the way, I added up my expense on this and it is pretty reasonable I think to have that custom look on the front and rear:

Both A emblems = $40 ea, as per Trance's earleir posts

Front triangle molding = $50 (I used max price)

Front Hood Assy = $50

Rear Strip over lic plate = $50

Total = $343.34 (purchase of parts and Alex work, maybe less depending upon what Alex says)!!

Not bad for a pretty nice look right? Well, I'm going to do it as soon as I get my pieces, in particularly the lic plate assy. Good luck gang!
Judging by your itemization, you and I paid around the same for our customization. I can't wait to see how it turns out for you. I'm having all my stuff installed next Tuesday, and you know damn well that I'll have pics up on Wednesday morning!

Quick Reply: Got some emblems back.